TableManners

Jan 9, 2024
tumblr_orakwl26R51ra5jw8o1_400.gifv

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
When there's no need to work, where do you get your sense of meaning and purpose and structure?

Work is for the money, not for meaning and purpose. Sure it brings structure to life when pushing to provide ~value for 7,5h each weekday, but I would prefer to experience situation where I wouldn't need to work for the money. Then it would be for something meaningful, purposeful, and maybe even fun, important and/or valuable.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
The solution seems obvious then, no?

If you feel isolated, connect with people who need your help?

If you're worried about how people perceive you, or only care about your money, then use it for good?

Want you have meaning and purpose? Help others.

I feel like rich people have a huge blind spot. They like their money, but also go to therapy and complain about the problems it creates. Like, you have a choice. Many people do not.

Mar 11, 2020
I think your analogy would have more merit if this article was shoved down the throats of, as you put it, villagers engulfed in famine. By all accounts, ERA's demographic is well above the average in terms of income and wealth, so by that logic I suppose none of us should ever complain about anything? (And that's ignoring the fact that the article was written by professionals; not by the rich people themselves.)

Also, as others have mentioned before, nobody is saying that we should feel bad for those rich people - yet there's a difference between thinking "oh ok, whatever" and actively spouting garbage like "Eat shit, rich people" when talking about their mental health issues. In other words, it's completely fine (and normal) to have a limited amount of empathy, but does it really have to be converted into hatred?

Speak for yourself, maybe there are some more well off people that frequent era, but I know many on here that struggle. If i wasn't married and didn't have dual income from both of us i couldn't afford rent and i would probably be on the street and not even have the job i have after being disowned by my family. The rich caused this situation and i am far from the only one. I feel for anyone trying to survive these days that struggles with housing.

Fuck the rich, i don't give a shit about their problems caused by their own greed. Their greed has caused me mental problems so fuck em.

Last edited:

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The rich who I am friends with are stingy as fuck. The richest of the lot will be inheriting a family business in Barbados and had never once had a money worry. I asked him to pick up a shed for me the other day since he's the only one with a truck that'll take it. He wanted 50 for driving a total of 10 miles.

Thing is he's not even asshole or anything, just has no ability to even register that his income is like 100x what his friends are and just acts like we're all on the same level

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I just don't understand what one expects could be constructive about this kind of thing, though. If they, with all the means in the world, cannot meaningfully remedy whatever is ailing them, what is anyone reading this supposed to do other than feel condescended to? I don't disagree that people do what you're claiming they do, but is this a case of people "waiting" for a "justified" "target," or do people simply feel that they're being asked to give something - even if just their emotional investment - to those who will never give anything back, simply take?

There's a massive difference between telling someone to care about the needy who exist outside of their circumstances and asking them to expend energy they may not even have left for themselves on being concerned about those with resources they couldn't dream of.

People are being afforded less and less of "themselves" as time goes on and economic circumstances place more and more demands on them. I don't think it's heartless to say that people who have nothing to concern themselves with but themselves are not as entitled to a piece of them beyond the most fundamental, base level of concern for mental health in isolation.

Honestly, I agree with you completely.

It was late, and I was trying to make lemonade.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Who is this article for though?

To publish something to the general public stating something like this

Its probably true and I can somewhat picture the problem but I don't sympathize in the slightest because they literally have more resources to address their problems than someone in any other position

beat

Oct 28, 2017
If wealth is isolating, then the cure is obvious: be less wealthy. This is far easier for the rich to accomplish than for the poor to become more wealthy. It doesn't even call for an unacceptable level of sacrifice.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've always wondered if it was possible to do gentrification in a healthy way.
Would it be possible to go into a poor neighborhood, buy up all the property, gift it back to the people already living there without kicking them out of their homes, then hire local companies to come in and renovate their houses and communities and exponentially increase their property values without displacing them from the area?

What would happen if you started pumping crazy money into poor areas without removing the poor people?
Has that ever actually been attempted?
You can't do good gentrification. By definition it's about displacement of current inhabitants, which will be the poorer people. Offering affordable housing and other services that can be within the means of poorer people is how you're going to do it. Until you can't offer those protections, you'll always get gentrification.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Wow it's almost like wealth inequality is bad for everyone regardless of class position. Maybe we should do something about that.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
The rich who I am friends with are stingy as fuck. The richest of the lot will be inheriting a family business in Barbados and had never once had a money worry. I asked him to pick up a shed for me the other day since he's the only one with a truck that'll take it. He wanted 50 for driving a total of 10 miles.

Thing is he's not even asshole or anything, just has no ability to even register that his income is like 100x what his friends are and just acts like we're all on the same level
You say that like it was an Uber Eats order.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You say that like it was an Uber Eats order.
I was gonna be the one actually doing the work lol. Dude lives in a literal mansion and I live on benefits. It's just a box with a load of upvc in it and all he was needed for was chucking it in the back and drive one village over. The uber eats drivers would be doing more work and more miles and I'd be far more inclined to pay them extra as unlike this guy, they likely need that money. Only reason this guy wanted cash is because his family watches his bank account as he blows all the money on coke.

He's notorious for borrowing money off me and another friend who's also low income and taking an age to pay it back. If you think I was the one trying to give the trust fund kid a raw deal I dunno what to tell you other than you've got a big misconception on the disparity, never mind the fact when I help him out I don't expect paying

Jan 18, 2018
I've always wondered if it was possible to do gentrification in a healthy way.
Would it be possible to go into a poor neighborhood, buy up all the property, gift it back to the people already living there without kicking them out of their homes, then hire local companies to come in and renovate their houses and communities and exponentially increase their property values without displacing them from the area?

What would happen if you started pumping crazy money into poor areas without removing the poor people?
Has that ever actually been attempted?
Nah, that wouldn't be gentrification. Gentrification is like a smaller scale colonization by definition. People are displaced.
To be honest, i really don't see the problem. Being rich (meaning: getting everything that you need and want) and don't having to deal with people sounds like a HUGE win to me.
Ah but isn't that why they're depressed, because they feel isolated? As humans we need positive and fulfilling human interaction so money can't replace that. But we also gotta eat and pay bills so money definitely affects how you move about the world.
A world where you don't deal with other people is a sad future tbh.

The lack of sympathy is sad to see. People face all sorts of challenges in life regardless of money.

There are poor people in third world countries who look at people like us (mostly middle class in developed countries) and think how lucky we are and that we have no right to complain.
Relative to their situation I'm not gonna argue. I'm definitely not gonna make them read an article about how, actually, I'm sad too and they need to feel empathy for me.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The ultra rich are literally responsible for the destruction of the planet and wealth inequalities. Why should anyone sympathize with them? Also, their "problem" is easily solvable. Give your wealth away. Done. They have basically infinite wealth. Stop hoarding it.

Poor people vs middle class in richer countries is hardly the same. We have the same amount of power in society. Meaning none.
Because sympathy for those in need shouldn't be gate kept?

Regardless of class or wealth, I genuinely do feel bad for people who are struggling with mental health (as someone who's had their own fair share of anguish), and hope that they are able to get the necessary help to put them on a better path towards recovery.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
lmao boo hoo

But I do notice that the "friends"/acquitances I know who are filthy rich are some of the most boring, uncultured people I've ever seen. They legit have no actual interests or hobby other than "golfing".
They buy all that expensive, trendy shit to give the outward appearance of a personality. They move into scenes that lower-income creative people establish, raise the price on everything pushing the creative people out, and leave a hollow, sterile shell of a scene in its place.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017

Regardless of class or wealth, I genuinely do feel bad for people who are struggling with mental health (as someone who's had their own fair share of anguish), and hope that they are able to get the necessary help to put them on a better path towards recovery.
As someone who has suffered from depression and anxiety most of his life, fuck these people. They deserve nothing for problems they've created themselves by exploiting people.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I can sympathize with them finding it hard to build genuine connections without it having something to do with business or money, but that's kinda it.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Folks are welcome to feel sympathy for rich folks if they want.

It's hard to feel bad for rich folks because actively working to make things worse for everyone who isn't wealthy like them. They are actively supporting policies including with funds that are killing us, making us less happy, and that are just overall bad for our health. If they don't get a fuck about us and are harming us, why should we give a fuck about them?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Blindness to class or wealth does not help in any circumstance. Those well off will have the necessary help. That's no concern. But those well off are, materially, benefiting from the poor conditions that everyone else has to survive, made objects of labor and profit for the same people you are defending. They can do without our sympathy. And we can't do with their exploitation.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It's why friends need to be found who don't care about the money disparity and won't judge for having zero empathy and understanding.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
just pay for a therapist or enter a community of people aligned with your own interests, if you got time to spare

actually maybe don't do that last part since it usually doesn't go well for us who are poor as fuck

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The rich suffer from having too much money... and the rest suffer from having too little. A solution suggests itself there.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Rich people by default have way more options so they should avail themselves to them. Bai.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, the people who say "just stop being poor", can actually just stop being rich.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Makes sense. When they say "rich" they don't mean "people who hit financial security" they mean "people who hoard wealth past that for their own benefit when others actually need it".

Which is inherently anti-social behaviour, which leads to isolation.

Anyways there's a book on this called A Christmas Carol.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Blindness to class or wealth does not help in any circumstance. Those well off will have the necessary help. That's no concern. But those well off are, materially, benefiting from the poor conditions that everyone else has to survive, made objects of labor and profit for the same people you are defending. They can do without our sympathy. And we can't do with their exploitation.
Sure, people well off have the resources that in theory should provide them with the ability to received help if they are able to seek it. But do all people suffering from mental illness seek help? How many celebrities or superstars have taken their life rather than seek help that they could have? How many less fortunate similarly shy away from seeking help or support in the throes of a mental crisis.

I am not defending their wealth, I'm defending the concept that at the end of the day, mental illness can wreck any person, regardless of class, and that everyone's mental health challenges are valid.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Who is this article for though?

To publish something to the general public stating something like this
Capitalist realism. The engine must be kept going at all costs. One way to do that is to remind the poor folks that those oppressing them have feelings too. Don't be so hard on them guys. Have some sympathy. They're lonely.

Like, we literally just had a thread critiquing capitalism as a system built on slavery and genocide. I don't think there was much poster crossover there, but it's nonetheless amazing the duality on display and how quickly just basic class consciousness goes out the window by preying on liberal good intentions.

Reminds me of all the threads praising that Black dude for "making friends" with the KKK. Forgiveness for oppressors is what people want, not actual liberation. Negative peace vs positive justice, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022
Look, I get the grass is always greener, and even the super rich probably have shit they have to deal with. But its hard for me to feel too bad for people who have that much

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
.......Being poor makes you even more isolated because you have to budget for going out to meet people lmqo

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, people well off have the resources that in theory should provide them with the ability to received help if they are able to seek it. But do all people suffering from mental illness seek help? How many celebrities or superstars have taken their life rather than seek help that they could have? How many less fortunate similarly shy away from seeking help or support in the throes of a mental crisis.

I am not defending their wealth, I'm defending the concept that at the end of the day, mental illness can wreck any person, regardless of class, and that everyone's mental health challenges are valid.

I suspect you will find that posters in this thread are not questioning the truthiness of their illness.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Rich people are humans with human problems too. I sympathize with anyone who's grappling with mental health troubles, whatever else they may be, although I sympathize more with those who also don't have the resources necessary to try and deal with the problems they may be having

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There's probably some credence to wealth impacting how you see the world. Some More News did a good video on this a little over a year ago. (though it's mostly about how they're dicks)
www.youtube.com

Are Rich People Okay? – SOME MORE NEWS

Hi. In today's episode, we look at what being rich does to your perception of yourself and others, the eccentricities of the super wealthy, how they use thei...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP2EKTCngiM

Despite that, I think some of the issues named in the OP are also present in non-wealthy people too. "Concerned about what their mark on the world will be"? I feel like that's common of a lot of people, not just wealthy ones.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Rich people have mental problem like anyone else.

What makes it hard to emphasize that rich people have the access to mental and physical health help the vast majority only dream of.

It's frustrating to have well off friends who can get treatment (aka they have the time and means), but won't even when less able friends both monetarily and mental offer to guide them. They still are trapped in the old way of thinking that needing help of any kind is a moral failing.

It is sad, because money protects them, they never truly hit rock bottom. They can keep delaying therapy and change because the necessities of life are taken care of.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably some credence to wealth impacting how you see the world. Some More News did a good video on this a little over a year ago. (though it's mostly about how they're dicks)
www.youtube.com

Are Rich People Okay? – SOME MORE NEWS

Hi. In today's episode, we look at what being rich does to your perception of yourself and others, the eccentricities of the super wealthy, how they use thei...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP2EKTCngiM

Despite that, I think some of the issues named in the OP are also present in non-wealthy people too. "Concerned about what their mark on the world will be"? I feel like that's common of a lot of people, not just wealthy ones.

The issue is that the wealthy have the means to leave a mark on the world and often its a negative one. Elon Musk is a divorced dad going through a midlife crisis that the entire world has to deal with.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Capitalist realism. The engine must be kept going at all costs. One way to do that is to remind the poor folks that those oppressing them have feelings too. Don't be so hard on them guys. Have some sympathy. They're lonely.

Like, we literally just had a thread critiquing capitalism as a system literally built on slavery and genocide. I don't think there was much poster crossover there, but it's nonetheless amazing the duality on display and how quickly just basic class consciousness goes out the window by preying on liberal good intentions.

Reminds me of all the threads praising that Black dude for "making friends" with the KKK. Forgiveness for oppressors is what people want, not actual liberation. Negative peace vs positive justice, etc.
People are comfortable talking their shit about "the rich" and "billionaires," but when you remind them that the concept refers to actual, individual people in any tangible way - outside of the most widely known reprobates - suddenly plenty of people collapse in on themselves like creme brulee and expose their gooey "they're people too!" center. Folks are very comfortable decrying oppression, but extending the same attitude to oppressors is much more difficult.

And it comes from a good place, for sure, but... like, yeah. We know they're people. They've got issues? So does absolutely every single other person on the face of the Earth. We can care about their issues in a perfunctory sense, but it is hard to imagine someone deserving of less of one's mind-share, less of one's overall font of empathy, than a member of the ultra-rich, and due to the nature of the very system whose existence their status sustains, people don't have lives that accommodate infinite empathy. It's hard enough just to advocate for oneself or those in most dire need. And in that regard, it feels obvious to me that one shouldn't point fingers or assign blame to those who just don't have the empathy to spare for those who are unduly privileged at best, and active oppressors at worst.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Main takeaway for me is that because so few people have that kind of money, and they only (their choice or otherwise) dabble with people like themselves, they get pretty isolated and in a bubble and it furthers their shitty views and takes because they're never challenged. This is quite literally how the people that run the world become out of touch with the masses because they simply lose the ability to understand FIRST HAND the lives of people that aren't like them. It's sad, but I still won't extend any pity.

The only thing I will even barely sympathize with though, is the notion of having a lot of money and people looking at how you spend it. Too many tales of regular ass people winning the lottery and suddenly they're pounced on by all kinds of people and organizations to get them to give them money or donate, and even when they try to be charitable there's never a "right" answer and it's never good enough. If there's a dozen orgs asking for my money and the only way to meaningfully impact any of them is to choose just a single one and give them (whatever a fair % of my wealth is) the other 11 orgs will not take the rejection well. Then what if there ends up being something problematic with that group? Am I attached to that stigma too? Etc.

But that's just another reason why we should tear down capitalism and enact change at root causes rather than rely on billionaires to sprinkle their fortunes topically.