Jul 1, 2020
It's like when Curt Schilling thought he could become as rich as Bill Gates by merely creating and launching a WOW competitor, except instead of a dilettante baseball player, it's executives who've spent years in this industry.
I still think it's really tragic that a side game that started development after the MMO was the only thing to make it out the door before the whole thing collapsed.

hidaaan

Jun 7, 2022
I mean honestly what did they expect? They took a studio that made great Single player action games and basically told them to cook up a "diversity" pleasing game. Sometimes studios need to find a set of niches and stick to those - it's what made FromSoftware great.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
And they never will, that's the thing. Like is no one in these shareholder meetings savvy enough to go "You want Fortnite, I get it, everyone wants Fortnite because it makes a trillion dollars. It won't happen. No matter what you do, it will never happen. You can't engineer lightning in a bottle and you will fail at every attempt. You won't pull people away from Fortnite, you can't create something that competes with Fortnite. Aside from licensing stuff to Fortnite, you should endeavor to forget Fortnite exists. You can't do it, you'll never do it, please stop pissing money and time and talent away in these futile attempts to do so. You missed the boat. It's over."

If I were a shareholder I'd feel insulted and robbed by seeing this perpetual investment into a model that will never work for them. The absolute best shot they have is HP and that's still a limited audience in comparison.
Lol forget Fortnite exists outside of licensing characters and locales too epic is something every big AAA dev team should be screaming at their bosses

Last edited:

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sad to see but this result was obvious. SS has been driven into the ground, along with using DCs beloved superheroes as villains for years now. The fans are tired of this, work on games with characters people actually want to play as. This is why there was no hype or excitement for this, just another DC thing where the heroes are villains. It's not fucking novel when you constantly to push it. You know what's novel? How about their heroes are just heroes and you can play as them?

May 31, 2022
VGC has reported that WBD's CEO David Zaslav "has singled out Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League as the reason for underwhelming Q1 results for its entire Studios division." This is incredible to me that the release of just one video game caused "underwhelming" financial results for an entire division of WBD:

www.videogameschronicle.com

Warner Bros CEO says ‘disappointing’ Suicide Squad release ‘overshadowed’ its overall Studios financials | VGC

Kill the Justice League had an underwhelming launch…

The CEO and president of Warner Bros Discovery has singled out Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League as the reason for underwhelming Q1 results for its entire Studios division.

During a financial presentation, David Zaslav said the Studios division – which includes Warner Bros Pictures, DC, Warner Bros Television Group, Warner Bros Games and New Line Cinema – saw a decrease in revenues compared to the previous year.

Zaslav said this was mainly down to the difference between the successful release of Hogwarts Legacy last year and the "disappointing" release of the Suicide Squad game.

"Warner Bros Discovery's great storytelling IP, including Hary Potter, Lord of the Rings, Superman and many other parts of the DC Universe are largely underused," Zaslav said.

"We are hard at work fixing that. It's a core value and a key advantage for us. We have the characters and the stories people love and yearn for everywhere in the world, in every language.

"Unfortunately, the studio's Q1 financials were overshadowed by the tough [comparison] at Games, following the great performance of Hogwarts Legacy last year, and the disappointing release of Suicide Squad in Q1 in our gaming group."

Zaslav's comments were later echoed by Warner Bros Discovery CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels, who said the difference between both games' releases had led to "a $200 million impact to EBIDTA [earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortisation] during the first quarter".

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Still cant get over the fact that they released one of the most successful games ever last year, and one of the biggest flops ever this year and the lesson learned is to make more like this years game.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If Zaslav has the studio in his sights, its over. Not a chance is hell RS survives this.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Technically it was the release of two games. On the other end Hogwarts selling so much last year made Suicide Squad underperforming that much worse.

I don't understand how that wouldn't have been an expectation for the year over year in their gaming division, there was no way SS was ever going to perform anywhere near what Hogwarts did.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't looked at the results yet, but also remember these CEOs paint a narrative at these earning calls.

Also Hollywood accounting is notorious.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
VGC has reported that WBD's CEO David Zaslav "has singled out Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League as the reason for underwhelming Q1 results for its entire Studios division." This is incredible to me that the release of just one video game caused "underwhelming" financial results for an entire division of WBD:

www.videogameschronicle.com

Warner Bros CEO says ‘disappointing’ Suicide Squad release ‘overshadowed’ its overall Studios financials | VGC

Kill the Justice League had an underwhelming launch…

The title is not exactly correct though. The underwhelming results is comparing revenue to the previous year.

The main contention point is the difference of the insane profits of the wizard game versus the presumed loss on Suicide Squad.

So from that standpoint, it's something majorly in the positive versus something majorly in the negative. And I doubt their previous forecasts even accounted for Suicide Squad being a potential loss.

Dreamyard

Jul 15, 2020
What a disastrous launch. I really don't think Rocksteady will go unscathed by year's end. Expect layoffs

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Rocksteady getting the axe shortly and that fucking sucks. If WB is smart, they would sell them instead. Also, this makes me fear so fucking much for Monolith.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Knowing Zaslav if Rocksteady is in trouble, which they shouldn't be given their Arkham trilogy, they will at least be sold and not shuttered. It's not as if you'd get the IP with them anyway, but at a minimum maybe you could get a deal on a DC game.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Rocksteady may go from redefining the comic book video game genre with a GOTY in Batman Arkham Asylum to being closed down just 15 years later.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who would even buy them despite their pedigree right now. Everyone's wallets seem to be closed for the near future

You're not wrong, but anything to get them on their feet. Who knows, maybe sell them to Sony and make them a new Insomniac studio.

I don't condone one console maker to get them, as everyone should play their games, but it's an idea.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
As long as it's a first person battle royal!

Strike while the iron's hot.
It's amazing how clueless some of these execs are; though I guess Warner's video game division is a special situation since it's a rare video game business with TV/Movie execs above the business (of course all they can think of is blockbusters like Warner greenlighting another 2 LOTR movies).

They'll try to milk Hogwarts for all its worth (and it's true there's still probably plenty of money to wring out of that tree), but if that fails or the well runs dry; everybody in gaming there should be scared because they can easily pull a Disney and just cut the whole thing down while licensing IPs outside with investments into outside gaming co's.

RockAction

Oct 27, 2017
i downloaded the trial on PS5, saw it was on deep sale recently and thought next time I'd get it, looked fun to play and maybe the story would be good

the trial is the first three hours and I'm not sure i want to play after the hour or so i gave it, i understood all the criticisms, amazed that studio put it out and after that long a wait

my partner is a HP nut but not a gamer so i ended up playing Legacy and honestly i really liked it as a game, i don't care for that universe less still it's creator obviously, but i can see why it did as well as it did

easy saying make good games and they sell but there had to have been a point where they knew they were on to something with Legacy and knew Suicide Squad was just not good, if they'd made it smaller scope and free to play and see how it did then maybe it would've found an audience with the mechanics and loop but it's a bit of a Frankenstein such as it is, hopefully Rocksteady is able to weather the failure and get to do something new

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
At some point, somebody at Warner is going to say "why don't we just do what Disney did? License out DC, Hogwarts, etc. and take ~20-25% of the revenue from gaming sales with 0 risk to ourselves. Look at Spiderman."

Put all the risk of failure on the outside developers/publishers. Sure you don't keep as much profit, but you keep a giant chunk (perhaps upwards to half), and even if a game fails, you still have a small positive to show for it...

You may not get quite the highs of Legacy (perhaps only 40% of the profit of doing it all in-house), but you don't have ugly misses like this that can tank the whole video game business.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
You may not get quite the highs of Legacy (perhaps only 40% of the profit of doing it all in-house), but you don't have ugly misses like this that can tank the whole video game business.
The fact that they had a huge success like legacy makes me think they'll gamble for another one a bit longer.