• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
While this is true, Nintendo has had a quiet first half (there have been new releases, but nothing on the scale of Breath of the Wild, or Mario Kart), and Nintendo is traditionally weaker in the UK, while UK is one of Xbox's strongest territories. If nothing else, the inertial momentum of all of that would have kept Xbox ahead of Nintendo. I'm surprised that did not happen.

Nintendo isn't 'traditionally weaker' in the UK. The Wii and the DS sold utterly insane amounts over here. The issue is the UK market tends to be quite price conscious and the Wii U was an utter disaster right out of the gate. If Nintendo brings the goods people buy what they are selling.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn't 'traditionally weaker' in the UK. The Wii and the DS sold utterly insane amounts over here. The issue is the UK market tends to be quite price conscious and the Wii U was an utter disaster right out of the gate. If Nintendo brings the goods people buy what they are selling.
When I say Nintendo is "traditionally weaker", I mean Nintendo does relatively weaker in the UK compared to how it does in NA and Japan. Similarly, when I say Xbox is traditionally stronger, I mean it does stronger in the UK compared to how it does anywhere else in the world (except for USA and LatAm). I do know that Nintendo has had some very successful systems in the UK (GB, GBC, GBA, Wii, DS).

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Only a 55% drop month over month is pretty freaking awesome. It shows God of War is having amazing legs.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Well That what Happen When You mess up Things and Do not Clean it In The right Time. And Now Now Just Not a necessary Device. So The Switch Taking Over is not Surprise.

And Now we are at the end of Gen So There is nothing they can Change only Hope they learn the lesson And Start Strong Next Gen

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Who is the other 55 percent of market?
23.8 Nintendo and 21.3 MS

Is it Sony ?
It's not 23.8 Nintendo, it's 23.8% Switch. I imagine the 3DS variants are an additional few percentiles if Nintendo isn't that far behind Sony. Depending on whether they are just counting the market as home consoles, or all available gaming platforms.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Well That what Happen When You mess up Things and Do not Clean it In The right Time. And Now Now Just Not a necessary Device. So The Switch Taking Over is not Surprise.

And Now we are at the end of Gen So There is nothing they can Change only Hope they learn the lesson And Start Strong Next Gen

You're misunderstanding the statement. This was just software sales in May.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isnt it software sales for a month that too not counting digital?
People are rather eager to hand out trophies.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
You're misunderstanding the statement. This was just software sales in May.
Yes I know It's Software....

If the software goes up, hardware will rise with time. They are still Games Coming For the Switch This Year.... It is expected to exceed 20 million copies of this year..

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Actually The Crew 2 and Crash (all formats) are down for end of June. Although they might actually miss out on the monthly chart depending on when they go up to.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not 23.8 Nintendo, it's 23.8% Switch. I imagine the 3DS variants are an additional few percentiles if Nintendo isn't that far behind Sony. Depending on whether they are just counting the market as home consoles, or all available gaming platforms.

The op is changed to show x1 and switch instead of what it was at first.ms and Nintendo .

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

I can't think why they would exclude any game software, they all go in the same chart normally.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Legs of a god.

And if I'm reading this correctly, the Switch has only overtaken the Xbox for the month of May right? No way Nintendo has already caught up to Xbox's lifetime sales, right?

You might be confusing GoW for Detroit.
First of all i think the market share press release is about software and not hardware. Second it's only about May, third it's ahead on the value chart ( not units) and fourth is a retail only chart.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This is hardly shocking to me. Microsoft's exclusive line-up is truly awful this year (and has been for some time). Sony and Nintendo have been hit after hit.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this is true, Nintendo has had a quiet first half (there have been new releases, but nothing on the scale of Breath of the Wild, or Mario Kart), and Nintendo is traditionally weaker in the UK, while UK is one of Xbox's strongest territories. If nothing else, the inertial momentum of all of that would have kept Xbox ahead of Nintendo. I'm surprised that did not happen.
This is software though and the problem with that Xbox is sharing all of it's third party with Sony, I'm guessing most of the third party this time of year leans heavily on PS4. Most of the casual third party games, COD, Fifa, shooters etc that does big on Xbox too are usually in the latter parts of the year. The platform is at it's most unattractive right now though in my opinion

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't think why they would exclude any game software, they all go in the same chart normally.
Yeah, I can't either.

Sometimes PRs have used market share to just mean home consoles (or even just two of the three) in the past if it offers more favourable reading for their product or they only care about the relative position of direct competitors, which is why I tend to question exactly what any source (or any secondary interpretation of the numbers) is counting the market as when posting percentages of market share.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
First of all i think the market share press release is about software and not hardware. Second it's only about May, third it's ahead on the value chart ( not units) and fourth is a retail only chart.

I figured it was only May. Didn't realize they were talking about software. Were there any big 3rd party releases for May? I don't think there were. There was Dark Souls Remastered, but that's about it. So I can see how the Switch pulled ahead software-wise.

But it being retail-only most certainly means the Xbox remains ahead since digital splits are much higher than on Switch.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong seems crazy high. Still upset Nintendo price hiked a late port like that, but good for them for getting the success they deserved with the Wii U.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
State of Decay made an impressive debut, when you consider Game Pass (I assume this doesn't count GP downloads)

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
With how good Mario Tennis is looking to be, I predict another good month for Nintendo

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I suppose so, i'm putting it down to more adverts for Nintendo on tv than Xbox, this is anecdotal but just what I've experienced, and people who've been waiting for the library to fill out and are getting recent deals.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Z88IMEL.gif

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Great sales for GoW and DK! Incidentally, they're the last two games I bought at full price.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
If you want context for the complete change in the fortunes of Microsoft and Nintendo in the UK, here are some estimated revenue figures from 2013 (which is only 5 years ago!):

software-figures-by-revenue.png

share-of-revenue.png

And remember that those 2013 percentages for Sony and Nintendo include both their home and portable systems combined whereas the comparison here is just between Switch and XB1.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Detroit at #2 after only two days of recorded sales strikes me as a pretty good result for Quantic Dream. Or as the company is better known here - David Cage.