• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is your preference for cloud saves and Steam friend list more important than the success of a small studio betting on this project?

Yes. Much like how certain people love to drone on about entitled consumers and the like, the default state of the consumer-developer relationship is not "purchase unless you can find an excuse, and it better be good".

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Yes. Much like how certain people love to drone on about entitled consumers and the like, the default state of the consumer-developer relationship is not "purchase unless you can find an excuse, and it better be good".

You know how ridiculous it sounds that you would prioritize

scenario A) getting cloud saves and a Steam friendlist on December 10 2019 and risking the entire Mechwarrior IP and the livelihood of a small studio

over

scenario B) said small studio releasing a better game and increasing their chance of success and you having to wait 365 days for December 10 2020 to get cloud saves and a Steam friendlist?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
You can still get the game a year later though? Is your preference for cloud saves and Steam friend list more important than the success of a small studio betting on this project? Besides, you get the game in a much better state than at launch thanks to patches and mods at that point. :-)
It is not about fucking preference. I'm a Linux user, both because I prefer Linux and because I need it for work. Epic does not want me as a customer, any dev that goes into bed with Epic then by extension doesn't care for me as a customer. Why then should I care for their success?

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter how many ludicrous apocalyptic scenarios you make up, developers are not owed purchases. If they think secretly changing FAQs and taking money from a corporation to make a crowdfunded game exclusive to a storefront is the best course of action, they'll have to live with the consequences of that choice.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the best outcome from these launchers competing with Steam? What features and changes could Valve implement to prevent companies from accepting the deals with Epic and such?

There are now several games om EGS I want, but I've already got like three launchers installed. At this point I'm just waiting for them to be re-released.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
K.Jack why do you hate PGI so much? MWO has been online for 7 years now, a F2P game at that by a smaller studio, that to me is a sign of a somewhat decent product.
I've been playing MWO since the beginning, still do. Watching PGI self destruct while being propped up by the IP has been an infuriated process. If the IP wasn't Battletech it wouldn't have lasted half as long.

Russ Bullock and Paul Inouye would rather lose than win someone else's way. These are not the guys you trust to make good decisions.

They were supposed to be less than 2 months away from release, and we've see what of this game? Them running through potato chip consistency buildings while shooting drones at Mech-Con? People seriously need to understand who they are dealing with when setting expectations for Mechwarrior 5.

Hate was just a strong word that I shouldn't have used, because I have no literal hate for anyone in my heart.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
You know how ridiculous it sounds that you would prioritize

scenario A) getting cloud saves and a Steam friendlist on December 10 2019 and risking the entire Mechwarrior IP and the livelihood of a small studio

over

scenario B) said small studio releasing a better game and increasing their chance of success and you having to wait 365 days for December 10 2020 to get cloud saves and a Steam friendlist?

They proved without a doubt that they can't handle the Mechwarrior IP. Let other, more competent devs handle the IP.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It is not about fucking preference. I'm a Linux user, both because I prefer Linux and because I need it for work. Epic does not want me as a customer, any dev that goes into bed with Epic then by extension doesn't care for me as a customer. Why then should I care for their success?

Okay, I undertand, but then replace the sentence with Linux - you still have to wait 365 days and then you'll get it in exchange for a better product and a healthier developer. Besides, aren't there other games to play in the meantime?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
What's the best outcome from these launchers competing with Steam? What features and changes could Valve implement to prevent companies from accepting the deals with Epic and such?

There are now several games om EGS I want, but I've already got like three launchers installed. At this point I'm just waiting for them to be re-released.

Lower the cut could be one option and somehow fixing the visibility (although that new feature might help a little bit with that.) 30% of sales is a bit too step according to the developers I have met and follow on Twitter.

I've been playing MWO since the beginning, still do. Watching PGI self destruct while being propped up by the IP has been an infuriated process. If the IP wasn't Battletech it wouldn't have lasted half as long.

Russ Bullock and Paul Inouye would rather lose than win someone else's way. These are not the guys you trust to make good decisions.

They were supposed to be less than 2 months away from release, and we've see what of this game? Them running through potato chip consistency buildings while shooting drones at Mech-Con? People seriously need to understand who they are dealing with when setting expectations for Mechwarrior 5.

Hate was just a strong word that I shouldn't have used, because I have no literal hate for anyone in my heart.

I don't know, I understand that there have been missteps the last 7 years, but at the same time, a lot of good things have come from PGI's handling of the IP. Like the following:

In the run-up to the release of Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries we should give appreciation for what everyone at Piranha Games have done for Mechwarrior & Battletech. Not enough credit is given to the amazing folks who put their hearts, blood, sweat, & tears into this franchise.

Back in 2009, PGI plus Smith & Tinker wanted to resurrect Mechwarrior from the catacombs of Microsoft. Yet no publishers wanted to fund the development of MW:3015, even after going public with a visual slice trailer on IGN. This didn't deter PGI as they still went on to lay the groundwork for Mechwarrior Online with the help of crowdfunding and minor publishing from IGP.

In 2012 not only did the people at PGI manage to put out a F2P multiplayer Mechwarrior in CryEngine in 2012, it also re-launched a lot of the iconic mechs by hiring the amazingly talented Art God known as Alex Iglesias aka Flying Debris. For the first time in history, PGI established an annual MechCon in 2016 that gathered all the active branches of the Battletech and Mechwarrior universe under one roof in Vancouver to come together and celebrate.

In 2017 Harmony Gold used their copyright trolling to once again damage and extort all of the Battletech and Mechwarrior artists at Catalyst Game Labs, Harebrained Schemes, and Piranha Games for their redesigned Unseen mechs. Here, PGI took a stand and saved everybody's asses (especially those that had defaulted the case) and basically ensured that the Unseen are back for good. If not for PGI, we would never have gotten the Marauder and Warhammer back!

In 2019, PGI is putting all their energy and funds into making the first singleplayer Mechwarrior in SEVENTEEN years. No longer hidden away by Microsoft's disregard for Mechwarrior, we are getting a singleplayer Mechwarrior game developed in the state-of-the-art Unreal Engine 4 in 2019.

You're right that we haven't seen much of the game since December 2018, but they are likely gearing up for marketing and this EGS deal probably gives them a better shot at delivering a quality product.

Besides, mods will save us in case it really goes bad and give the game a long future. I'm optimistic.

They proved without a doubt that they can't handle the Mechwarrior IP. Let other, more competent devs handle the IP.

See above

(sorry for the double-post)

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
I'm specifically referring to the chat overhaul to make it more in line with "modern chat clients" and the like

And yeah, indie devs complained. And then clients like Desura and even Impulse started to provide an option for indie devs. Greenlight was apparently started in 2012. The prime of Desura and the like were the 2009-2013 range (shockingly hard to find data).

And what do we have now? Valve pushed a system to make themselves more favorable to AAA developers (a direct response to stuff like UPlay, BethesdaNet, modern Battle.net, etc) that favors high selling games. Indie devs said "what the fucking shit?". EGS make that their banner to wave and other outlets (like Humble) quietly remind people they have better cuts as well.
And time will tell how Valve responds.

Valve has been constantly iterating on Steam's UI ever since it launched. Their chat overhaul was just one of those iterations. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't have happened without Discord.

The prime of Desura and Impulse are completely irrelevant because both platforms failed to gain any traction. That's why they're dead. Steam added Greenlight as a direct response to complaints from indie devs, not because they were inspired by two random platforms that combined had maybe a 0.5% market share.

As for the cut scaling, it favors games with high revenue because those are the games that actually justify their upkeep costs. Hosting games isn't free, especially on a platform that has as many features and servers as Steam. The majority of indie games don't sell well enough to cover their upkeep so they have to pay a larger cut to compensate.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I undertand, but then replace the sentence with Linux - you still have to wait 365 days and then you'll get it in exchange for a better product and a healthier developer. Besides, aren't there other games to play in the meantime?
in the long term more success for EGS means a vastly reduced experience and selection for linux gamers

i don't run linux myself but if i did my preference would be for EGS to fail and exit the market as quickly as possible, regardless of how it helps one developer on one game right now

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Lower the cut could be one option and somehow fixing the visibility (although that new feature might help a little bit with that.) 30% of sales is a bit too step according to the developers I have met and follow on Twitter.

Lowering the cut will do the opposite. more devs would be profitable (which is good), which means that more games will be released.

and some payment methods will become unavailable. Valve pays 15% on Steam money cards, they are huge in many countries, even the majority in some places. add to that copies bought outside of Steam where Valve gets nothing and they would be losing money easily with a bigger cut for devs.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

What would you expect to become of 100% keys if the cut was lowered?

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the first to, as a user, trully dislike Epic's moneyhatting, but I've just realised I don't care at all of this particular case... and that surprises and saddens me.

I mean, MechWarrior is one of my all-time favourite series, I should be slighty annoyed at the very least (either for being forced to buy it there, either to wait), but the terrible clusterfuck MWO is seems to have destroyed my interest for this game on a biggest measure that I thought. Thanks PGI, I guess.

Last edited:

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
in the long term more success for EGS means a vastly reduced experience and selection for linux gamers

i don't run linux myself but if i did my preference would be for EGS to fail and exit the market as quickly as possible, regardless of how it helps one developer on one game right now

we still don't know if this is a successful strategy and honestly i wouldn't want a developer to risk their studio and jobs just because I was being afraid of losing Linux support via Steam. There are bigger fish to protest and boycott like Ubisoft and Borderlands than some small studio whose livelihood depends on this EGS deal.

Lowering the cut will do the opposite. more devs would be profitable (which is good), which means that more games will be released.

and some payment methods will become unavailable. Valve pays 15% on Steam money cards, they are huge in many countries, even the majority in some places. add to that copies bought outside of Steam where Valve gets nothing and they would be losing money easily with a bigger cut for devs.

Thanks I didn't know that! But not sure how it would do the opposite? I mean, how much larger can the over-crowding actually get?

What would you expect to become of 100% keys if the cut was lowered?

I'm not sure it would be lowered because of a cut in 30%?

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we still don't know if this is a successful strategy and honestly i wouldn't want a developer to risk their studio and jobs just because I was being afraid of losing Linux support via Steam. There are bigger fish to protest and boycott like Ubisoft and Borderlands than some small studio whose livelihood depends on this EGS deal.
ubisoft and take 2 aren't moneyhatting steam games away to a platform that doesn't support linux

valve subsidizes steam keys sold outside the steam store. they don't get any money from them but still provide all of the same features and CDN bandwidth, which means those keys cost them.

if they make a smaller cut on games sold in their own store their profitability goes down and they're less likely to want to provide free shit like unlimited dev keys for reselling.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
ubisoft and take 2 aren't moneyhatting steam games away to a platform that doesn't support linux

You misunderstand. I was saying that ubisoft and take-two are taking the EGS deals with Division 2 and Borderlands 3 and they are bigger fish that should fry than PGI. Raging at a small studio trying to survive and keep their jobs is not the same as raging towards a multibillion corporation whose power and influence on EGS' future success is that much greater than Mechwarrior 5 and PGI. If you're scared of EGS, then rage at Ubisoft and Gearbox for propping up that store when they clearly don't need the Epic money and have a much bigger impact on making EGS bigger, whereas PGI is an almost opposite case.

valve subsidizes steam keys sold outside the steam store. they don't get any money from them but still provide all of the same features and CDN bandwidth, which means those keys cost them.

if they make a smaller cut on games sold in their own store their profitability goes down and they're less likely to want to provide free shit like unlimited dev keys for reselling.

I know how it works, but I was saying that it wouldn't necessarily be the case that a lowering the (insane) 30% cut automatically implies lowering the 100% key thing. It's speculation on our parts.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was saying that ubisoft and take-two are taking the EGS deals with Division 2 and Borderlands 3 and they are bigger fish that should fry than PGI. Raging at a small studio trying to survive and keep their jobs is not the same as raging towards a multibillion corporation whose power and influence on EGS' future health is that much greater than Mechwarrior 5 and PGI.
maybe the users upset at this don't give a shit about borderlands or ubisoft games. trying to control what people care about is a pointless endeavor and just comes across as concern trolling.

I know how it works, but I was saying that it wouldn't necessarily be the case that a lowering the (insane) 30% cut automatically implies lowering the 100% key thing. It's speculation on our parts.
you don't think that if a company's primary revenue stream is cut almost in half they wouldn't start cutting costs elsewhere? ok dude

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
maybe the users upset at this don't give a shit about borderlands or ubisoft games. trying to control what people care about is a pointless endeavor and just comes across as concern trolling.

uhm no it's practically a strategic and contextual approach to picking your battles. If the objective is to decrease the potential success of EGS because of linux support like you originally wrote, then you pick your targets. That's it. If it's just MW5 you're interested in, linux people will still get a better game next year with a higher likelihood of future success with the IP.

Have you read any of the previous pages? Why this was a good decision for PGI and Mechwarrior fans? If not, just read this

you don't think that if a company's primary revenue stream is cut almost in half they wouldn't start cutting costs elsewhere? ok dude

no need for the dismissive tone, aeolist. I was just saying that we don't necessarily know if it would be the case.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Valve has been constantly iterating on Steam's UI ever since it launched. Their chat overhaul was just one of those iterations. There's no reason to believe that it wouldn't have happened without Discord.

The prime of Desura and Impulse are completely irrelevant because both platforms failed to gain any traction. That's why they're dead. Steam added Greenlight as a direct response to complaints from indie devs, not because they were inspired by two random platforms that combined had maybe a 0.5% market share.

As for the cut scaling, it favors games with high revenue because those are the games that actually justify their upkeep costs. Hosting games isn't free, especially on a platform that has as many features and servers as Steam. The majority of indie games don't sell well enough to cover their upkeep so they have to pay a larger cut to compensate.
Cool beans. Valve are completely atypical in that they exist in a vacuum and do whatever they want and that just happens to be what prevents their competition from getting a firm hold and results in a better product. And any similar endeavors along the way are a non-factor.

However you want to justify it, I just hope that we get better terms for the indie devs and better curation out of this. I'm sure Big Gabe will do it from the goodness of his heart and all that jazz.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Cool beans. Valve are completely atypical in that they exist in a vacuum and do whatever they want and that just happens to be what prevents their competition from getting a firm hold and results in a better product. And any similar endeavors along the way are a non-factor.

However you want to justify it, I just hope that we get better terms for the indie devs and better curation out of this. I'm sure Big Gabe will do it from the goodness of his heart and all that jazz.

99% of your indie devs will never get onto the curated EGS. But they can get onto Steam.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

I feel like something would have to give. If the baseline cut was 20% for Valve, their key program would result in probably ~15% or lower of the game sales actually going to them, whilst providing a vastly superior service to the one taking a 12% cut and also passing costs onto consumers.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's completely unfair to tell a Linux user to "just wait a year" and then turn around and be upset at people who aren't happy about the EGS decision. Labeling them as toxic and irrational.

People have every right to be upset at the situation at hand. Just as others have every right to be okay with what PGI has chosen. But don't be dismissive of other's concerns just because it makes the developers looks negative.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019

Valve lets any indie developer sell their games on Steam. That's already better terms than EGS, GOG, PSN, XBL, eShop, Uplay, Origin, Battle.net, Bethesda.net, etc. As for better curation, what you really mean is that you want fewer indie developers to be allowed on Steam based on arbitrary standards.

There was a time when developers had to earn their money by releasing a quality product that appealed to customers. If they failed to do that, they would lose money and possibly go out of business. Now they're somehow entitled to money before releasing anything? They chose Epic over their customers. If it works out, good for them. But I won't shed a tear if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
There was a time when developers had to earn their money by releasing a quality product that appealed to customers. If they failed to do that, they would lose money and possibly go out of business. Now they're somehow entitled to money before releasing anything? They chose Epic over their customers. If it works out, good for them. But I won't shed a tear if it doesn't.

This is an over-simplification of the reality of business and the industry, and you know it was true then and still is now. There are so many more factors than just making a good game and there are so many good games that never went anywhere or made anything. Regardless, yeah hopefully it works out.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that Epic did amazingly is PR. No nuances at all and they turned many people against Steam. Valve could lower their cut but we don't know by how much. And Valve is getting less then 30% in many cases. For example DMC5 has 23K reviews, 50% of them are from purchases outside of Steam. IF that scales to all purchases Valve basically got 15% from all DMC5 purchases. But you won't see Tim or Sergey mention that anywhere, they just talk about fixed 30%.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It's completely unfair to tell a Linux user to "just wait a year" and then turn around and be upset at people who aren't happy about the EGS decision. Labeling them as toxic and irrational.

People have every right to be upset at the situation at hand. Just as others have every right to be okay with what PGI has chosen. But don't be dismissive of other's concerns just because it makes the developers looks negative.

people are literally sending threats at PGI the last two days and you think it's wrong to label them as toxic and irrational? That's ridiculous. They don't get to behave and act like that, it's peak gamer outrage acting like big crying babies who harass and insult a game developer because they're not appeasing them at every turn.

And people's preferences for Linux and having to wait 365 days shouldn't override 40+ people being able to keep their jobs.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
One thing that Epic did amazingly is PR. No nuances at all and they turned many people against Steam. Valve could lower their cut but we don't know by how much. And Valve is getting less then 30% in many cases. For example DMC5 has 23K reviews, 50% of them are from purchases outside of Steam. IF that scales to all purchases Valve basically got 15% from all DMC5 purchases. But you won't see Tim or Sergey mention that anywhere, they just talk about fixed 30%.

Yeah. Lots of people talking about lowering the cut here won't acknowledge it either.

Although you gotta factor in what a game sells for elsewhere to get an approximate idea of how much overall Valve gets. In your example of DMC5, if you assume it sold 1 million, 50% on Steam at $50 average and 50% elsewhere at $30 average, the new Steam cut system still effectively makes Valve's cut ~16.875% (if I did the math right).

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
Yet another game I'm going to have to my "do not buy" list, especially after the seemingly disingenuous way this was going to be revealed initially and what they've said about the situation. I don't think the "best thing for the franchise" was to limit the game to the objectively inferior platform because they were given a chunk of money to do so, without caring about what the fans will think about the situation, and then trying to claim that this is all a good thing that they decided to go for something that is detrimental to those waiting customers/players.