• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017

It might happen.

Gamer.ne, a site that post every week Media Create Top 30 on Thursdays, recently said they will stop doing that from April 4th (next fiscal year).

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201903070004/

※2019年4月4日(木)の更新をもって、本コーナーは終了予定です。

Timing matches.
If 4gamer follows, and then the official MC site, it's over.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It might happen.

Gamer.ne, a site that post every week Media Create Top 30 on Thursdays, recently said they will stop doing that from April 4th (next fiscal year).

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201903070004/

Timing matches.
If 4gamer follows, and then the official MC site, it's over.
Okay, now I have reason for real concern..........

They better don't do this to us! Please don't do this to us, Hosokawa-san!! :(

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, of course there'd be some people going "sales data only fuels fanboys" and "we don't really need this data available."

Unbelievable.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Charging for data that should be publically available for free. Yup, we're in late stage capitalism.
They have been charging for a while, otherwise they most likely wouldnt do this amount of work. Would you do the work for free, the same amount of work that Media Create employees do every week?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for transparency, but why should it be provided free by some consulting firm that is gathering their data primarily to sell their analysis? That feels more like the duty of publishers/hardware sellers during their quarterly earnings.

Oh cool, can you go get for me the life-to-date numbers of the overall Xbox One Hardware sales from Microsoft and PlayStation Vita Hardware sales from Sony?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, of course there'd be some people going "sales data only fuels fanboys" and "we don't really need this data available."

Unbelievable.
We already have a bunch of people replying to every Bomba or underperformer with....but digital ? but Game Pass ?

So data not being avaiable will make it easier for those fanboys to spread BS without getting fact checked anymore.

Definitely a bummer for Sales Era.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well this freaking sucks if we don't get MC sales anymore...

I looked forward to seeing numbers every week and knowing how game sales are doing in Japan.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'd rather have a direct quote, for a Yuji article, before I start panicking over something that might not happen. Especially since, as Chris pointed out, there are two other sources doing it for free also.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I see no problem if the other sources do it for free. Famitsu isn't bad or anything its just that their digital estimates are not accurate by a wide margin but their physical has always been in line with MC.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, send me $21,000 and I'll give you the details :).

That has nothing to do with the bolded and you pretty much proved my point. There's no reason to not have free data from these firms when the publishers and hardware manufacturers don't provide this data at all even for their shareholders.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That has nothing to do with the bolded and you pretty much proved my point. There's no reason to not have free data from these firms when the publishers and hardware manufacturers don't provide this data at all even for their shareholders.
^It was a joke about me paying the 20k sub and taking 1k for myself.

I would like the data to be available as well and do think it should be provided by the firms or publishers for the sales of the consoles/games they sell to shareholders. However I do not expect them to provide it weekly.

At the end of the day companies will prefer to report their over all balance sheet and financial statement figures while highlighting the sales of goods that were in line or not line with their expectations. They aren't going to highlight the sales of all of their products in what's released to shareholders.

Also, I seriously don't see why everyone should have access to sales data free of charge from a third party company who is doing this on their own expense. Many of you seem to ignore that fact and just want everything free of charge.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, send me $21,000 and I'll give you the details :).

Yeah sure. Keep move your goalpost there. Those big companies dont need to be protected their feelings by you there. In the era where all information is should be as transparent as possible to avoid misuse and misrepresentation, you are advocating for less tranparency.... for what?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure. Keep move your goalpost there. Those big companies dont need to be protected their feelings by you there. In the era where all information is should be as transparent as possible to avoid misuse and misrepresentation, you are advocating for less tranparency.... for what?
No goalposts being moved. Pointed out that it was joke the post above. Seems the joke is going over people's heads

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I seriously don't see why everyone should have access to sales data free of charge from a third party company who is doing this on their own expense. Many of you seem to ignore that fact and just want everything free of charge.

Because it can't be shared publicly if it is behind a paywall like NPD does. Talk about missing the point.

They already provide services for a $20k sub which include forecasts and reports that are not shared publicly. Now take away the data dumps from being free and that means they can no longer be shared publicly.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because it can't be shared publicly if it is behind a paywall like NPD does. Talk about missing the point.

They already provide services for a $20k sub which include forecasts and reports that are not shared publicly. Now take away the data dumps from being free and that means they can no longer be shared publicly.
I never missed that point.....

They likely don't want their service to be de-valued by a knowledgeable forum like ours providing insight and commentary in an easy-to-access thread. That's one potential reason.

Oct 29, 2017
I bet the reasoning here is two-fold.

1, All Japanese publishers outside of Nintendo are pressuring MC to hide their numbers from public view, so that they can avoid their current public humiliation. Some might even be offering to slip them some sneaky back-hand hush money...

2, Media Create saw what NPD did and want in on the cash gravy train.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
welp we could maybe get a official fundraiser for these things?

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
End of an era if so. It's the reason I joined GAF 13 years ago. Though I don't really participate in discussion, I don't think I've missed a single week.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This would drastically reduce my incentive for still reading era to be honest. Media create and NPD threads are what brought me to GAF in the first place. Hoping it isn't true.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Not sure if anyone here is in Japan, but if you are, and you're able to get some information on whether it may be required for access is a membership, let us know on the price.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
How weird is it that every other major form of media has public, free sales information (box office, Billboard charts, NY Times best sellers) but for some reason videogame sales are always hidden behind an immense and secretive paywall?
Because game companies don't like to disclose how well or badly stuff sold or if they do they don't tell you how much they sold but only the ranking, look at the numbers from Europe, you don't get any, just rankings and if you get numbers then for awards like pushing beyond 100k, 200k and so on -or if the publisher speaks out. They don't however, if the game wasn't a huge success in their eyes.

Top 10 rankings only, no more numbers.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not going full private, but we're only getting the top 10 from now on in the weekly releases.

https://www.m-create.com/ranking/

EDIT: And... no sales numbers for this top 10 even

Dear Visitors,
From April, we will change the disclosing policy of weekly sales ranking into top 10 software ranking without sales number.
We continue working on making sales data report (software and hardware), so if your company is interested in market data about Japanese console games, please let us know.

rip MC

Last edited: