• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
As for SMT team, and the team of whoever that is left at Careersoft (Devil Survivor etc), I believe the way forward is multi platform rather than exlcusive as they did before, unless Ninty "pays up" (in the case of TMS). These games ain't as successful as Persona games, and economics means it makes sense to be multiplatform.

Again- what evidence do you have for this claim?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And all it took was official confirmation of a Playstation franchise not coming to Switch when the platforms were unofficially known months ago.
Yep it's bizarre. A game that was never released for a Nintendo console nor was, in any way, associated with one now is a sign that support for a currently popular system is dwindling.

Companies will release stuff for a system they believe they have a audience for. Not every game has to come out for the Switch.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
A game like GE3 - that def. looked like it could run on Switch and has a portable past not being on Switch is def. an issue.
Project GE games have been Sony only so far - this new title will be likely on Xbox as well though, so it probably could have been on Switch as well if Nintendo had pushed for it...the question then is why didnt they bother ? If they know MH Switch is bound to happen in the next 12-18 months i can see why they would try to secure another hunting action game.

Bamco still has a couple of Switch surprises to unveil for this year - i still think there will be a 4player coop action game in the style of MH announced for a release this year on Switch.

Support doesnt have to be exclusives. The market is moving to multiplats (in the west it has been for a long time). A game Nintendo paid for isn't the same as a publisher pledging support with their owm money. Currently Atlus looks focused on the PS ecosystem. I don"t see how that's an outrageous statement.
You think Nintendo paid off Atlus for all the DS and 3DS support over the last decade ? That doesnt make much sense.
Switch right now is being positioned as a follow up to the DS and 3DS which both received the mainline SMT titles and a bunch of other non-Persona related content.

"The market moving to multiplats"
Atlus hasnt recieved that Memo yet - this would be argument for every other developer, i dont see how its relevant in this case. Unless you are expecting every potential Switch title to be multiplattform, while all PS games stay exclusive.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so do CS2 and CS3 have their own reps? Him saying good things, and vague mentions about support, at a console launch of a major platform holder is at best PR and giving face. People said good stuff at Wii U launch too.

Again, my question goes back to what game in CS1 lineup is coming? Until they actually announce one, we cannot assume Nagoshi meant he is bring a game from CS1. Him representing Sega as a whole (which actually put out some games) makes far more sense than insisting he has something coming from his own team.
I think the point is if Nagoshi didn't want to be there he wouldn't be. If Nintendo and Sega needed a corporate hack to sling Sonic then Iizuka would've been fine and also recognizable to the audience. And given Nagoshi's track record he wouldn't have been there if there wasn't a CS1 game in the works, one which he even mentioned a desire to create. He's there for Sega but also points own his own opinion as an individual game maker. I mean, how obvious can it be? No a game wasn't officially announced, no Sega games were officially announced at that point.

I used this comparison before but it'd be sort of like if Apple had brought out Miyamoto at their keynote and he'd demoed a Pokémon or Fire Emblem game instead of Mario Run. It technically makes sense as he is basically Nintendo's closest equivalent, but knowing anything about Miyamoto or Nintendo it really doesn't.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
That the new Etrian game is coming to the 3DS, and the own words of the Etrian director about the uncertain future of Etrian post 3DS, tells me that the Etrian team have no idea how to move on from dual screens without losing what made Etrian unique.

You best count Etrian out, until we get some indication on how they will bring the series forward. Without the dual screen, the logic for any game form this team being exlcusive becomes far weaker.

As for SMT team, and the team of whoever that is left at Careersoft (Devil Survivor etc), I believe the way forward is multi platform rather than exlcusive as they did before, unless Ninty "pays up" (in the case of TMS). These games ain't as successful as Persona games, and economics means it makes sense to be multiplatform.

On the flip side, I can see Hashino team totally skipping NSW, since their games already sell alot, and Hashino haven't done anything on Ninty platforms after Trauma center died.
Atlus doesn't play by yer rules :P

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of God Eater (I assume), do we have any update on Epic's whole "over 20 Japanese UE4 games in the works for Switch" thing from last Summer? Outside of Yoshi, SMTV and DQXI I can't really think of any.

This is one of the reasons it's surprising to me to see all these UE4 games skipping Switch, simply because we know there were supposedly a lot in the works for the platform.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point is if Nagoshi didn't want to be there he wouldn't be. If Nintendo and Sega needed a corporate hack to sling Sonic then Iizuka would've been fine and also recognizable to the audience. And given Nagoshi's track record he wouldn't have been there if there wasn't a CS1 game in the works, one which he even mentioned a desire to create. He's there for Sega but also points own his own opinion as an individual game maker. I mean, how obvious can it be? No a game wasn't officially announced, no Sega games were officially announced at that point.

My contention isn't even about games announced at "That point". A year back if you made the same point, I would have said maybe.

Its a year later and no game form Nagoshi is in sight, which puts what he said a year ago in perspective.

I used this comparison before but it'd be sort of like if Apple had brought out Miyamoto at their keynote and he'd demoed a Pokémon or Fire Emblem game instead of Mario Run. It technically makes sense as he is basically Nintendo's closest equivalent, but knowing anything about Miyamoto or Nintendo it really doesn't.

They did use Miyamoto to shrill Geist.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That the new Etrian game is coming to the 3DS, and the own words of the Etrian director about the uncertain future of Etrian post 3DS, tells me that the Etrian team have no idea how to move on from dual screens without losing what made Etrian unique.

You best count Etrian out, until we get some indication on how they will bring the series forward. Without the dual screen, the logic for any game form this team being exlcusive becomes far weaker.

On the flip side, I can see Hashino team totally skipping NSW, since their games already sell alot, and Hashino haven't done anything on Ninty platforms after Trauma center died.
You've got this completely backwards. Hashino and P team/Studio Zero are the division that's already gone multiplatform, meanwhile the Maniax, CS and EO groups are all still single platform. SMTV also sort of implies that might not be changing the way you assume it is.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of God Eater (I assume), do we have any update on Epic's whole "over 20 Japanese UE4 games in the works for Switch" thing from last Summer? Outside of Yoshi, SMTV and DQXI I can't really think of any.

This is one of the reasons it's surprising to me to see all these UE4 games skipping Switch, simply because we know there were supposedly a lot in the works for the platform.
My Hero Academia One's Justice, Travis Strikes Again and Octopath Traveler are some titles that I can think of.

There's also quite some Japanese indie games that uses UE4.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Atlus doesn't make multiplat games and I doubt they will now.

Who are these doomsayers?!

I don't see any Nintendoomed. I see people talking about what they think we may and may not see in terms of Switch (and PS4/5) support going forward.

There is a whole spectrum of positions here and Nintendoomed is not by any means a commonly held belief. We even talked about that a couple pages ago and the comments were generally "no, no MH on Switch going forward would not mean Nintendoomed."

Calling what is going on doomsaying is, imo, hyperbole and an overreaction to people doubting an optimal future for Switch third party support. And it is just that doubt. I think the future will or at least could lack some of our dreamed up features of it. What those will be is an open question and one I see no harm in entertaining.
Yeah, I don't understand how this is "doomsaying". I think Nintendo can carry alone if they have to, but it's worth discussing third party support and why I, personally, think people shouldn't expect much. If you read the last few pages in this thread, many posts are implying some imaginary games are almost confirmed, yet announcement after announcement, we see that this isn't what's happening.

I also feel that it lagging behind the 3DS in HW sales will hurt what kind of software the system gets as a big draw to Nintendo portables are their selling power in Japan.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've got this completely backwards. Hashino and P team/Studio Zero are the division that's already gone multiplatform, meanwhile the Maniax, CS and EO groups are all still single platform. SMTV also sort of implies that might not be changing the way you assume it is.

Well, I will concede you are right when Persona happens on NSW.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
My contention isn't even about games announced at "That point". A year back if you made the same point, I would have said maybe.

Its a year later and no game form Nagoshi is in sight, which puts what he said a year ago in perspective.
I think that's a fair takeaway and who knows, things can always change. But the idea that Nagoshi was ever only there to rep Sonic and Atlus is completely offbase given what he said and his own track record. That's my only point.

They did use Miyamoto to shrill Geist.
For an Apple or Google platform? At least try to keep it relevant please.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For an Apple or Google platform? At least try to keep it relevant please.

My Miyamoto example is to show that corporations can use their big names to shrill projects the big name employee is only marginally involved in.

I mean, it happened on 3DS.

I guess I'll concede when SMT, DeSu and EO are on PS4.

P-Q is an Etrian Team project.

As for the rest, we shall just wait and see. DeSu is already dead afaik.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Miyamoto example is to show that corporations can use their big names to shrill projects the big name employee is only marginally involved in.
Please stop this, he was involved in the development of Geist.

When [the team] had first heard, they didn't know exactly what he meant. They kind of thought he might just be joking around, apparently he has that kind of sense of humor in the workplace. Eventually Miyamoto-san just said "I think the possession aspect of this game is great and I want to know what it's like to not just possess humans and animals but what would it be like to possess a box or what would it be like to possess a plant?" [Those] were the two examples that he gave [the team]. So during one of NCL's visits it became a priority to do some experi-mentation with object possession, and then figure out how to fit that into the game we were already developing. That was a little bit of a curve-ball, it added some work onto things, but we're really happy where it ended up.

PGC: Can you explain some of the other things that Miyamoto-san influenced?

Dan: The entire development. [laughs]

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/2260/the-geist-interview

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You think Nintendo paid off Atlus for all the DS and 3DS support over the last decade ? That doesnt make much sense.

I very clearly never said or implied this so I'm not going to address it.

Switch right now is being positioned as a follow up to the DS and 3DS which both received the mainline SMT titles and a bunch of other non-Persona related content.

SMT5 announcement was a really positive sign but since then things havent looked good with Atlus imo.

"The market moving to multiplats"
Atlus hasnt recieved that Memo yet - this would be argument for every other developer, i dont see how its relevant in this case. Unless you are expecting every potential Switch title to be multiplattform, while all PS games stay exclusive.

I was thinking of Persona 5, Persona 3 and 5 Dancing and Catherine when I made that statement.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please stop this, he was involved in the development of Geist.

He was involved, but not heavily so. Giving some suggestions doenst make it a "Miyamoto game", as the marketing back then tried to imply. This in fact caused some unhappiness from Miyamoto in that was mentioned in some retrospective of the game IIRC.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I wouldnt really put vita on the same level as developing for the ps4, let alone thr ps3 or any other gen 7/8 console
wasn't one of the arguments people had against the vita when it launched was that it would be too expensive to develop for. Though I guess with people accepting higher prices on switch games that's not really an issue anymore.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He was involved, but not heavily so. Giving some suggestions doenst make it a "Miyamoto game", as the marketing back then tried to imply. This in fact caused some unhappiness from Miyamoto in that was mentioned in some retrospective of the game IIRC.
Sure, but the way you are suggesting was that he was just some talking head with no influence on the actual development, which is not the case.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

SMT could have easily been multiplat under this same belief so it doesn't really hold up to corporate culture. At this point it'd put in the case of very unlikely.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
P-Q is an Etrian Team project.

As for the rest, we shall just wait and see. DeSu is already dead afaik.
Not really. The director of PQ had previously worked on mainline Persona games and the Trauma Center series too for example. Actually the lead planner, writer, artist, composer, a lot of staff actually came from P Studio. And Hashino produced it, PQ quite literally is a P Studio game.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018

Do you have a link to this statement? Im curious why its too difficult to put a dungeon crawler on a hd console. The map displayed on a second screen wasnt really a big deal imo. You can just put it on "select" or similar, maybe a transparent, zoomable map.

I really like atlus and EO, but i think they dont want to invest in the series, as there is hardly any development in the entries, the first one looking rather the same as the last entry. Id say EO would profit a lot if it had some more of the budget and take the next step into hd. Legend of Grimrock for example handled these mechanics really good imo esp in terms of exploration and puzzles.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

My Hero Academia One's Justice, Travis Strikes Again and Octopath Traveler are some titles that I can think of.

We can add Ark in the list. However it appears that the game began developpement after Epic's statement.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link to this statement? Im curious why its too difficult to put a dungeon crawler on a hd console. The map displayed on a second screen wasnt really a big deal imo. You can just put it on "select" or similar, maybe a transparent, zoomable map.

I really like atlus and EO, but i think they dont want to invest in the series, as there is hardly any development in the entries, the first one looking rather the same as the last entry. Id say EO would profit a lot if it had some more of the budget and take the next step into hd. Legend of Grimrock for example handled these mechanics really good imo esp in terms of exploration and puzzles.

Famitsu interview IIRC. The part about difficulty is mostly inferred from how the next game is still on the 3DS, and will be the "last game to use a double screen".

Map drawing is a big part of what makes Etrian unique and gives the series identity. Alot of existing fans love the map drawing. Not sure of Etrian Team have it in them to find other source and less obvious (gimmicky?) USP for the games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Completely forgot about Octopath and I had no idea the other two were UE4. That gets us to 6 games though. I also have no idea about any Japanese indies using UE4 but could there really be over 14 of those that were in production as of last April?

We can add Ark in the list. However it appears that the game began developpement after Epic's statement.

Ark isn't made by a Japanese developer. The statement was specifically about 20 Japanese UE4 Switch games in the works.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Completely forgot about Octopath and I had no idea the other two were UE4. That gets us to 6 games though. I also have no idea about any Japanese indies using UE4 but could there really be over 14 of those that were in production as of last April?
What I could find:
  • Dragon Quest XI (Square Enix/Orca)
  • Happy Birthdays (Toybox)
  • My Hero Academia: One's Justice (Byking)
  • Octopath Traveler (Square Enix/Acquire)
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus)
  • Tiny Metal (Area 35)
  • Travis Strikes Again (Grasshopper Manufacture)
  • Yoshi (Good Feel)

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Famitsu interview IIRC. The part about difficulty is mostly inferred from how the next game is still on the 3DS, and will be the "last game to use a double screen".

Map drawing is a big part of what makes Etrian unique and gives the series identity. Alot of existing fans love the map drawing. Not sure of Etrian Team have it in them to find other source and less obvious (gimmicky?) USP for the games.

Ok thanks, didnt notice this.

They can keep the drawing part while the game being paused, i was also a fan of the drawing, i just think it is not essential to be displayed on a second screen. I really hope we will see many further entries of EO, but i wish they would start to make some progress technical wise like nearly everyone does. I think its a very conservative jrpg series in terms of costs and progressing, of course very niche. Time will tell.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I could find:
  • Tiny Metal (Area 35)
  • Yoshi (Good Feel)
Happy Birthdays (Toybox)
source on this being unreal 4?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What I could find:
  • Tiny Metal (Area 35)
  • Yoshi (Good Feel)

Thanks for compiling this. So theoretically we should be seeing 12 more Japanese UE4 games that have been in the works since April 2017 or earlier announced for Switch.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think P5P makes a lot of sense and is something we could see in a couple of years, regarding P Studio. I don't think it is at all, however, a sure thing.

SMTV and the recent Dancing and Catherine announcements suggest that Atlus believes in putting out ecosystem exclusives (to this point, Catherine was originally on X360, no? Isn't this new version Vita/PS4?) and we could instead just see an enhanced edition for PS4 in a couple years instead of a portable edition.

I think, more than making SMTV multiplatform, which I think would be a good idea and could ride P5's coattails on PS4 some while also going for the Atlus fanbase on (Nintendo) portables, P5P makes a lot of sense given the importance of, in particular, Golden to the growth of the franchise. There's a track record of success for portable Persona re-releases and it isn't like Atlus doesn't sell on Nintendo platforms--they do. Beyond this, Persona just has a higher sales potential and more to gain from multiplatform accordingly.

So I think what does end up happening wrt a hypothetical Persona rerelease will be incredibly telling as to Atlus's future release strategy.

This would be the ideal for Switch (everything :P) with my thoughts on each piece:
-SMTV--this is happening
-successor software to other 3DS games, including new SMT spinoffs and other new/old RPG IP from said software streams--currently, 3DS is still getting these games and there would at least be problems transitioning EO. I think we will see these support streams on Switch, albeit after a wait and at diminished productivity.
-TMS successor--I think this was made by a team that worked on 3DS though? So this might just roll into the above. I could see more things like this though, with Nintendo paying to offset increased development costs.
-Persona 5 rerelease--I assume a release is happening and atm I'm hedging my bets towards PS4-only release, personally.
-Persona spinoffs/other P Studio software going forward--currently this is skipping Switch and until we see signs otherwise, I'm going to assume it will continue to do so, outside more PQ. (Higher chance of more coming if mainline Persona comes).
-Project Re: Fantasy--I'm guessing this will follow Persona support, whichever way that goes. So I'm guessing PS4 exclusive atm, but I could see it being multiplatform or having a late Switch release (perhaps enhanced).

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
You can also add Gal Gun 2 to the list of Japanese Unreal Engine 4 Switch games (how could anyone forget :p).

Oct 25, 2017
You can also add Gal Gun 2 to the list of Japanese Unreal Engine 4 Switch games (how could anyone forget :p).
Still find it weird that Inti Creates is known for pretty cool retro pixel art games...and bottom bin fan service trash.

Fun fact, despite that they feel the Gal Gun brand is less toxic than Mighty No 9 so they renamed Mighty Gunvolt to Gal Gunvolt despite being the same game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still find it weird that Inti Creates is known for pretty cool retro pixel art games...and bottom bin fan service trash.

Fun fact, despite that they feel the Gal Gun brand is less toxic than Mighty No 9 so they renamed Mighty Gunvolt to Gal Gunvolt despite being the same game.
Is MN9 still in the game? Could be a licensing issue

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never forget that the company responsible for Alundra, the DS remakes of FF3 and 4 and The 4 Heroes of Light is also responsible for this:

Vxqfl94.png

A game that has the distinction of having it's sequel banned not only in Australia but also the UK. So the existence of Gal Gun hardly surprises honestly.

Oct 26, 2017
SMT5 being exclusive to Switch doesn't make much sense and neither does Persona 5 not coming to Switch.

Not sure what Sega-Atlus is doing there.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you are a Persona fan (like me) you would have noticed that this isn't the first time Atlus is doing this. When they announced Persona 4 Dancing, Persona Q and Persona 5, each time, marketing wise they were focusing on one game (the one closer to the release). When the game was out they were focusing on the next. It has nothing to do with what Atlus can promote, it has to do with what they want to promote and clearly there is a pattern here. Persona 5 Dancing obviously benefits more from the anime promotion, compared to Q2.

Imo, the sequel should have released a lot sooner and not 5 years after the first one on PS3. An early PS4 release with a PS3 and PC version in 2015/2016 would have been better. I remember that the game was rumored for quite some time after the release of the first one and most rumors were pointing at a PS3/PS4 cross release.

Going back to this and being slightly off topic according to Zhuge physical NNK2<physical NNK but digital is unknown.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah Bloodstained is also UE4. That's 9 known games then provided all were in the works last year when Epic Japan made that 20 games statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.