• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
How did Far Cry 4 sell in Japan ? And how many copies the first week ? I just noticed Far Cry 5 is first at amazon.co.jp

Jan 1, 2018
How did Far Cry 4 sell in Japan ? And how many copies the first week ? I just noticed Far Cry 5 is first at amazon.co.jp
Media Create
Code:
Week 5, 2015:
02./00. [PS4] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥9.072) - 36.239 / NEW <92,37%>
06./00. [PS3] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥7.992) - 18.366 / NEW <63,84%>

Week 7, 2015:
15./06. [PS4] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥9.072) - 6.551 / 52.580 (-33%)
19./11. [PS3] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥7.992) - 5.280 / 32.159 (-38%)
Famitsu
Code:
Week 5, 2015
02./00. [PS4] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥9.072) - 37.725 / NEW <80-100%>
05./00. [PS3] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥7.992) - 23.686 / NEW <60-80%>

Week 8, 2015:
23./16. [PS4] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥9.072) - 3.082 / 57.508 <80-100%> (-50%)
Week 10, 2015
30./27. [PS3] Far Cry 4 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2015.01.29} (¥7.992) - 1.843 / 48.934 <80-100%> (-27%)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think anyone claims that the Switch is doomed because of that :P The recent talk has been about 3rd party support. The actual sales numbers should speak for themself.
I dont know bro, some people here really seem to think God Eater makes or breaks a system.

It is a symptom of a larger problem, one that has been claimed to be in the process of fixing but that won't be seen until next year. If it even comes

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
3rd party support for the Switch has definitely gotten better than what it was last year, it's impossible to dispute that. At the same time, it'd be naive to consider the 3rd party support to be good enough since it doesn't get many big announcements and some "big"-ish games still avoid the platform.

Some people try to paint the situation way more negatively than necessary than they should though since the situation has only improved.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know bro, some people here really seem to think God Eater makes or breaks a system.

It is a symptom of a larger problem, one that has been claimed to be in the process of fixing but that won't be seen until next year. If it even comes
I havnt read too much of the recent discussion regarding God Eater 3, so i cant really comment much on that to be honest. God Eater 3 is a bigger title, so its a loss for Nintendo in that regards that they dont get that on their system. If someone say that this title alone breaks anything, i disagree with that, and i get what you're saying in that case. In general, i just feel that it should be possible to discuss e.g 3rd party support for the Switch without calling it "doomed".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havnt read too much of the recent discussion regarding God Eater 3, so i cant really comment much on that to be honest. God Eater 3 is a bigger title, so its a loss for Nintendo in that regards that they dont get that on their system. If someone say that this title alone breaks anything, i disagree with that, and i get what you're saying in that case. In general, i just feel that it should be possible to discuss e.g 3rd party support for the Switch without calling it "doomed".
I want being serious. Unlike some people who were dooming and blooming because God Eater wasn't coming (because they saw it as a symptom of poor support)

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
15k or lower for HW, previous ports haven't given me a lot of confidence, and FE Warriors didn't do well at all.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Noone calls it doomed.

Just that the current known JP3P support is not commensurate to the potential of the NSW in the market, home or abroad.

There is also the possibility that Ninty has to carry NSW alone if 3P don't deliver. Which Ninty is capable of so long as they are prepared to do so.

Nintendo isn't doomed if that happens, it just loses out on some platform holders revenue, and prove to 3P once again that Ninty systems are not ideal ecosystem for 3P.

so the bet is if any 3rd party switch game can see 4.1 million?

hmm, M+R and Sonic+Mario if it still exists, are technically third party. Do those count?
then minecraft.

I think a game or few can hit 4.1m

I was gonna say "excluding stuff that uses Ninty licensed", because this will technically exclude stuff like Pokemon.

You can take whatever standards you like I guess. My point is I don't see it for now

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
does anyone know how much the original Hyrule Warriors did in Japan? According to VGChartz it did a little over 130k, although they've been off with numbers before

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
does anyone know how much the original Hyrule Warriors did in Japan? According to VGChartz it did a little over 130k, although they've been off with numbers before

271./068. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14} (¥7.389) - 19.264 / 135.753 (-83%) (69.090 <57,33%>)
067./000. [3DS] Hyrule Warriors Legends # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.01.21} (¥5.800) - 110.252 / NEW (54.479 <57,65%>)

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I want being serious. Unlike some people who were dooming and blooming because God Eater wasn't coming (because they saw it as a symptom of poor support)
What wasnt you serious about? I know that you didnt claim that about God Eater 3 yourself, only refering to others =) When i said that i get what you're saying in that case, i mean that i agree with you if someone claimed that Nintendo is doomed due to not getting God Eater 3 on the Switch. I'm just saying that people arent necessarily claiming that Nintendo is doomed because of this.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Since people seem to get so hung up on particulars here's the Capcom list without HD remasters, late ports, cross-gen multiplats, rom collections, recycled content cashgrabs, external productions or expansion rereleases. Basically doing away with any possible "doesn't count" qualifier, let me know if I missed anything.

Nintendo 3DS
  • Nazo Waku Yakata (2011)
  • Resident Evil: Revelations (2012)
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (2013)
  • Monster Hunter 4 (2013)
  • Gaist Crusher (2013)
  • (2014)
  • Dai Gyakuten Saiban (2015)
  • Monster Hunter Generations (2015)
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (2016)
  • Monster Hunter Stories (2016)
  • Megami Meguri (2016)
  • Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 (2017)
PS Vita
  • (2011)
  • (2012)
  • (2013)
  • (2014)
  • (2015)
  • (2016)
Wii U
  • (2012)
  • (2013)
  • (2014)
  • (2015)
  • (2016)
Xbox One
  • Dead Rising 3 (2013)
  • (2014)
  • (2015)
  • Dead Rising 4 (2016)
  • Resident Evil 7: biohazard (2017)
  • Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite (2017)
  • Monster Hunter: World (2018)
  • Mega Man 11 (2018)
PlayStation 4
  • (2013)
  • (2014)
  • (2015)
  • Street Fighter V (2016)
  • Umbrella Corps (2016)
  • Resident Evil 7: biohazard (2017)
  • Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite (2017)
  • Monster Hunter: World (2018)
  • Mega Man 11 (2018)
  • Deep Down (lol)
Nintendo Switch
  • (2017)
  • Mega Man 11 (2018)
  • Ace Attorney series (2018)

That comparison is a lot more interesting tbh.
Thanks for that!

edit: that said I would still count the Monster Hunter games you didn't count that weren't remakes. 3G on 3DS and WiiU was important and more than a basic Tri expansion, XX/4U on 3DS were important despite being simpler expansions, and XXS was more than a basic port, even if late.
USF2 might also count since it's technically original, even if it's low effort. There might be similar things on other platforms, didn't check.

Last edited:

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not sure why people are using godeater 3 as an example of switch not getting support, it's one of those games that falls in the "a little late" category since development would have started long time ago and theres always the possibility of a "late" port, it'd be similar to VC4 except the late port didn't get announced at the same time as the other platforms

missing out on GE3 isn't really the big deal, but it's the fact that switch is missing out on bandai support asap, they are a bigger deal than capcom after all if we take away MH

with that said, if kirby doesn't do 100k+ second week then switch will really be doomed

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, nothing I said was about GE3. Nothing I engaged with was about GE3 either. Perhaps that is where the conversation started but it has been all over the place and when anything that has been said that suggests that the third party support might not be what are best hopes are is lumped into "Why are people going crazy over GE3?" and "OMG the Nintendoomers are back" it isn't at all productive or reflective of the actual conversations in this thread. Perhaps people don't mean every post that expresses doubt, but when you broadbrush all pessimism in this way it comes across as you do.

I don't see why we can't shoot the shit about the state of various companies' support for Switch and what we think they are doing going forward without this kind of stuff.

I don't think Nintendo needs third parties putting in much towards a success in order to have said success.

I do want widespread support for Switch because I think that is part of making Switch the best thing it can be towards revitalizing and diversifying the Japanese domestic console market. I want third parties to put a lot of exciting software on it from the mega-sellers to smaller games, from established franchises to new IP, and I want there to be increased and, importantly, breakout success that drives the market forward and gives it a future that isn't just Nintendo and dwindling third party output and returns.

And I think Switch offers an opportunity. Nintendo has situated it so as to be as attractive as possible to third parties while also playing to their strength in portables and in revolutionary hardware. That is, cross-gen+ multiplatform possibilities and quality development tools/support. Nintendo has made it a (preliminary) success, particularly among enthusiasts. Nintendo is going to try and capture other elements of their favored coalition with things like Labo and Pokemon (and Animal Crossing, hopefully sooner rather than later). It is succeeding in Japan. It is succeeding abroad.

It is still, however, working against a) the popularity of mobile, b) the popularity of home consoles in the west, c) decline of the Japanese domestic market while its last successful platform was disproportionately successful in Japan, and d) the steep decline of 3DS/Vita which, in tandem with a), b), c), seems to have suggested to some developers that they should look elsewhere than the 3DS successor (e.g. Capcom).

And again:

SE: Bullish on Switch, picks up PS DQ support and Tokyo RPG while maintaining 3DS support streams.
BN: Getting Wii U/3DS Nintendo branded/published games and some sporadic port support that will hopefully improve as time passes. DS remastered is a good sign.
KT: Getting Wii U/3DS Nintendo branded/published games and Gust games from Vita/PS4 support streams
SEGA: Getting games Wii U/3DS would've gotten. (Wasn't FM also trademarked for Switch somewhere?)
ATLUS: Getting SMTV. Rest of 3DS/Wii U support is doing last lap on 3DS so far; we'll see what they do afterwards (I guess move on to Switch). Vita support is also doing a last lap on Vita and skipping Switch too--we'll see if Switch gets any of its successors and if it gets any Persona or Studio Zero stuff.
Capcom: Not there in a big way at launch. Unclear if it will get any 5th generation MH (I'm an optimist but we really don't know).
Level-5: Presumably Level-5 is going to show up soon. The thing is...they're in-between hits, they're flopping around on mobile, and it is completely unclear what sort of impact their support will have when it arrives imo
NIS: Getting Vita support stream; NIS wants to make the Ys VIII port repeat business with Falcom but we'll see how that pans out

And so on...

The general picture I get is Switch support will be larger than 3DS/Wii U support in terms of software streams from Japanese companies (but HD could well slow said streams down) but that we don't have a good idea how much of its ideal support it will get (e.g. how much BN porting improves), and we don't know what core 3DS supporters like Level-5 and Capcom will put out on the system, which is very much, imo, a cause for being wary about what the final picture will be.

I think it is a mixed bag atm and a lot of the reason for that is big partners spoiling the bag that in a lot of ways carries a lot of signs of companies seeing the opportunity of Switch and growing support for it.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I'm not really invested in that discussion but just a few corrections/details

SEGA: Getting games Wii U/3DS would've gotten. (Wasn't FM also trademarked for Switch somewhere?)
NIS: Getting Vita support stream; NIS wants to make the Ys VIII port repeat business with Falcom but we'll see how that pans out

Wii U 3DS would never have gotten Shining Resonance and Valkyria Chronicles 4.
The latter never appeared on Nintendo platforms and the former hasn't for, 15 years and GBA I think?
The current running subseries has been very Sony centric as well.
Football Manager showed up even on Vita so a Switch SKU wouldn't be too surprising.

For NIS I think it's important to differentiate NISA and NIS, the first might well be the biggest 3rd party publisher on Switch for the number of games, NIS is also getting on board but at a much slower rate, do they even publish Ys VIII in Japan or is it someone else? I honestly can't remember

Oct 26, 2017

The latter never appeared on Nintendo platforms and the former hasn't for, 15 years and GBA I think?
Football Manager showed up even on Vita so a Switch SKU wouldn't be too surprising.

For NIS I think it's important to differentiate NISA and NIS, the first might well be the biggest 3rd party publisher on Switch for the number of games, NIS is also getting on board but at a much slower rate, do they even publish Ys VIII in Japan or is it someone else? I honestly can't remember

Yepper.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is just a year old. The 3party support in Japan for it is impressive for the first year, better than the first year on most other consoles.

Oct 27, 2017

NIS is publishing Ys VIII in Japan, it sounds like they are also the ones who ported the game. Their president seems to want to partner up with Falcom for more Switch games.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch is just a year old. The 3party support in Japan for it is impressive for the first year, better than the first year on most other consoles.
third party support is pretty average and nothing to write home about but first party and indies are doing so well that it doesn't stand out as much as other system launches

the biggest disappointment is that not one third party bothered to release any exclusive aaa game for the switch other than maybe mario + rabbids, but that has a sales cap which doesn't truly show the sales potential of the switch

japan should of had a little more faith especially

p.s i love ubisoft in terms of support out of all western third party developers, they always give nintendo something if they can

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
p.s i love ubisoft in terms of support out of all western third party developers, they always give nintendo something if they can
Ubisoft struck a goldmine with Just Dance, so they are more willing to try out new things on Nintendo platforms. EA and Activision gave Nintendo chances before, they just didn't find the result as satisfying.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
EA and Activision gave Nintendo chances before
I wouldn't exactly call their software support on the Switch a gamble. Skylander's was blatant shovelware lacking content from previous gen and FIFA 18 barely gets any marketing, has missing key features and to this day remains unfixed. If either of these two ever give Nintendo the level of support Ubisoft does, I will be the first to acknowledge it. I am not satisfied with them.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't exactly call their software support on the Switch a gamble. Skylander's was blatant shovelware lacking content from previous gen and FIFA 18 barely gets any marketing, has missing key features and to this day remains unfixed. If either of these two ever give Nintendo the level of support Ubisoft does, I will be the first to acknowledge it. I am not satisfied with them.
I mean long before that, like GC and Wii. I was actually surprised when I saw all the games EA released on GC. They were GC's biggest supporter.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean long before that, like GC and Wii. I was actually surprised when I saw all the games EA released on GC. They were GC's biggest supporter.
Idk if I go that far, a grand majority of EAs games during that gen was releading on all 3 major platforms, not evrn including GBA/DS/PSP

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The industry was in a difference place now, from the GC (and before) era.

Back then,a major 3P company can be expected to ship 20+ games in a typical year. Sometimes the number can get as high to 30 a year for companies that support handhelds as well. The effort needed to put out a unique SKU, despite highly different platforms, is generally much lower.

In this era, major 3P release 10 or so games a year, sometimes less. This is due to the narrowing of the console market to a particular type of general gamer who likes a certain type of game (AAA), to stay competitive in this market requires massive amounts of content and GFX. Let's also not forget that modern games are much more complex than those of the GC era, and that makes each game takes up more resources and manpower. The effort needed to make each game succeed have ballooned greatly, and there is only so much resources that can be mobilized.

This is one of the driving force behind GaaS games that have long tail monetization and rolling content. It is always cheaper to make new content on a game that already has many assets made, and it is always easier to sell additional new content to an existing game that is already in the consumer's hands, than to sell a completely new content in the form of a new game.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Idk if I go that far, a grand majority of EAs games during that gen was releading on all 3 major platforms, not evrn including GBA/DS/PSP
So? EA don't make a lot of exclusive games in general. And the games they got on GC was fairly heavy weighted, like most of their sport franchises, and unlike FIFA Switch, they weren't bastardized ports.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is one of the driving force behind GaaS games that have long tail monetization and rolling content. It is always cheaper to make new content on a game that already has many assets made, and it is always easier to sell additional new content to an existing game that is already in the consumer's hands, than to sell a completely new content in the form of a new game.
I fully agree.

But GaaS is something much more widespread than just western AAA console game publishers. I'm surprised by the (low) amount of Japanese publishers investing in GaaS development. Bandai Namco is toying with it in multiple games; Square Enix isn't really GaaS-ing, I suppose, but bt least focusing more on multiplayer and expansions with FFXV. But the other traditional Japanese console game publishers really are slacking. Meanwhile, Japanese mobile game publishers (including Bandai Namco and Square Enix) are doing it everywhere.

It's an interesting divide, because the publishers that struggle to get into the mobile space are also slacking on GaaS console development.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree.

But GaaS is something much more widespread than just western AAA console game publishers. I'm surprised by the (low) amount of Japanese publishers investing in GaaS development. Bandai Namco is toying with it in multiple games; Square Enix isn't really GaaS-ing, I suppose, but bt least focusing more on multiplayer and expansions with FFXV. But the other traditional Japanese console game publishers really are slacking. Meanwhile, Japanese mobile game publishers (including Bandai Namco and Square Enix) are doing it everywhere.

It's an interesting divide, because the publishers that struggle to get into the mobile space are also slacking on GaaS console development.
They would need to compete with the huge western AAA companies, it's hard and I don't think japanese publishers want to go head on against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.