• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. You are unreal.

Here are a few more for you to contort and spin your way out of:

"Namco is releasing the UE4 My Hero Academia game simultaneously with the PS4 version. This shows how Nacmo is adapting and starting to incorporate Switch in its plans. Switch is in a great spot when it comes to third party support."

"Atlus is releasing the UE4 SMT V exclusively for the Nintendo Switch. Switch is in a great spot when it comes to third party support."

"SE is releasing DQ Builders 2 simultaneously with the PS4 version. Switch is in a great spot when it comes to third party support."

In actual context MHA is relevant but I don't really think the other two are. The vast majority of developers are not developing games as Switch exclusive and definitely weren't over a year ago(when SMTV was announced), so it has no relevance on the ability of publishers to add SKUs of PS4 games. DQ Builders 2 is slightly more relevant but the little we've seen of it looks close to identical to the first game which was a Vita/PS3 game too.

Horii was (accidentally) talking about making the "next" Dragon Quest game way back in early 2014. I haven't read anything suggesting that development on the PS4 version was as quick as under three years.

I can't find it now(definitely not with all today's info) but apparently the PS4 version was only a few months in when they revealed it.

Square Enic is literally famous for announcing shit way too early. Agree or disagree?

Agree.

Sony themselves said they can't ignore Switch. They will need to do something to respond in japan if they are getting outsold exponentially more significantly in japan every week after labo, pokemon and and smash hit.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/12/sony_we_cant_ignore_the_nintendo_switch

"Speaking with Nikkei Asia, Sony's head of corporate planning Kazuhiko Takeda admitted that the company "can't ignore" the product – even if the PlayStation 4's year-over-year growth suggests the devices aren't necessarily impeding each other yet."

He might have said it but what actual difference is going to make?

I guess they're missing out on like the five Switch exclusives from third parties.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sega: "Hold my beer as we release this right next to Fire Emblem 16."
7w8DbxW.gif

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Since 3rd party on Switch is such a hot debate and it seems like just a matter of perspective anyway, I'm trying to remember every "big" new game from a big publisher coming out on Switch either exclusively or at the same time of other version. I can only count 3 right now:

Starlink from Ubisoft (where the hell is this though)
Megaman 11 (debatable if this one is even "big")
SMTV (nothing to say there, that one is significant)

That's 3 games. If you can think of anything else feel free. Now of course "big" is a vague term and you could arguably add more games (VC4?) but still it's insane how little support there actually is (that we know of) going forward.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since 3rd party on Switch is such a hot debate and it seems like just a matter of perspective anyway, I'm trying to remember every "big" new game from a big publisher coming out on Switch either exclusively or at the same time of other version. I can only count 3 right now:

That's 3 games. If you can think of anything else feel free. Now of course "big" is a vague term and you could arguably add more games (VC4?) but still it's insane how little support there actually is (that we know of) going forward.

Octopath should easily outsell SMTV, so it should probably be counted.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's mixed between V and VIII. Older players favor V. It's always a good show to tell you favor V over VIII though, but I don't know if those people are really serious. I'm not part of the fanbase, but I've read some opinions of "hardcore" DQ fans and sometime, it's borderline ridiculous, like in every fanbase.

To be fair, V and VIII are so vastly different that it's like we're comparing two games from different franchises.

I'd say that most people who favor VIII are those who only played that entry (and maybe IX) due to the platform and the visuals. V is the most loved, often followed by III or IV.

Oct 26, 2017
Octopath will sell like 1.5-2.5m. It's going to be up there with Skyrim and Crash as the best selling 3rd party game.

But yes, other than those and Octopath and maybe VC4, there isn't much high budget stuff at all day and date. I expect that to largely continue though I think Crash 4 will be day and date and maybe Doom 2019.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They launched at the same time though.

DQ11 Switch is coming two years later...

What would be the point of calling it DQ11?

Because it would still tell the same story.

The 3DS and the PS4 versions are both taking advantage of their capabilities of the hardware and offer different content so the Switch game could be a different version.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Seems odd to me that SE didn't just hand over the port to someone else a long time ago. We've seen several outsourced ports on the Switch already. Is there any reason this one needs to be in house?

Octopath will sell like 1.5-2.5m. It's going to be up there with Skyrim and Crash as the best selling 3rd party game.

But yes, other than those and Octopath and maybe VC4, there isn't much high budget stuff at all day and date. I expect that to largely continue though I think Crash 4 will be day and date and maybe Doom 2019.

I know it's technically a port but Dark Souls Remastered is still a big release imo and it is releasing day and date with the other consoles. Nintendo has the marketing deal and Dark Souls was certainly one of the most requested games for Switch once the hybrid nature was revealed. It's gonna sell well

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I think that Octo expansion is gonna released on the 1 year anniversary of Splatoon 2 launch.

July 21 was it?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's mixed between V and VIII. Older players favor V. It's always a good show to tell you favor V over VIII though, but I don't know if those people are really serious. I'm not part of the fanbase, but I've read some opinions of "hardcore" DQ fans and sometime, it's borderline ridiculous, like in every fanbase.

To be fair, V and VIII are so vastly different that it's like we're comparing two games from different franchises.
It's between III and V for most fans. Only westerners put VIII at the top, and mostly people who aren't DQ series fans at that.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
In actual context MHA is relevant but I don't really think the other two are. The vast majority of developers are not developing games as Switch exclusive and definitely weren't over a year ago(when SMTV was announced), so it has no relevance on the ability of publishers to add SKUs of PS4 games. DQ Builders 2 is slightly more relevant but the little we've seen of it looks close to identical to the first game which was a Vita/PS3 game too.

I can't find it now(definitely not with all today's info) but apparently the PS4 version was only a few months in when they revealed it.

Agree.

I guess they're missing out on like the five Switch exclusives from third parties.

Yuji Horii alluded to the next mainline game being in development when talking about Dragon Quest Heroes in a 2014 Famitsu interview almost a year before Dragon Quest XI's official announcement (and like I said, he was accidentally talking about making the game earlier than that). Beyond that, it doesn't make sense for the game to have only been in development for a few months at that point when you consider that they were actually able to show a decent amount of gameplay when it was announced (it's not like they just gave us a logo and some art). The other thing to consider is that they were originally aiming for a 2016 release. Even Square Enix isn't crazy enough to think that they could have gotten a game like that out with only 1.5 years of development time at most.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Okay. So why would this bode poorly for future support?

They have released DQH1&2, I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Dragon Quest Builders and Mana collection.

World Ends With You Remix, Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Octopath Traveler are in the pipeline.

If DQ11 never releases does that erase all these other games? What does it say besides SE doing their dumb SE shit?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

So your blanket statement where you literally said "Switch really is screwed when it comes to third party support." is really only talking about high end games that started out as PS4 exclusives then? It doesn't apply to Switch exclusives. Or any game that has a Vita version. Or any game that doesn't look amazing.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017

I think it makes a difference to Sony that they are essentially giving up their motherland. Allowing Nintendo to command hardware and software sales to the degree we may be seeing in Japan in the coming months and years is probably not something they are taking too lightly... and will be even more pronounced if Nintendo can reproduce this worldwide. Earth is becoming more mobile not less, and Nintendo beating Sony into the hybrid space may premeditate the future gaming landscape. While Nintendo is not eating too heavily into Sony's marketshare now, one has to think that they inevitably will as games and franchises like Dark Souls come over, Nintendo improves their online infrastructure, memory prices come down. By Switch 2.0 diminishing returns will be even more notable and day and date releases only become more obvious. I just don't see how Nintendo will not be a major threat to Sony from a competitive standpoint. One is stuck in the home, and the other can play in the home or anywhere else. Both companies will do well, but I have my money on who will do better.

I am a huge Sony and Nintendo fan btw, and hope they can coexist in harmony, but I find it fascinating looking at this from a strategic standpoint :p

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This late in the gen Sony doesn't give a shit about Nintendo. Honestly, Sony will get all the support anyway. They are aware of the competitions hardware because how can you not be, but thrybliterally have all Japanese 3rd party support by default and that is never changing.

Ryosha

Nov 16, 2017

My Hero Academia (Bandai Namco) coming same time as PS4 version

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
This late in the gen Sony doesn't give a shit about Nintendo. Honestly, Sony will get all the support anyway. They are aware of the competitions hardware because how can you not be, but thrybliterally have all Japanese 3rd party support by default and that is never changing.
Don't you worry, Sony is already thinking about next gen and considering how the PS5 will do against the Switch and other competition, and how they can improve their own strategy :p

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So your blanket statement where you literally said "Switch really is screwed when it comes to third party support." is really only talking about high end games that started out as PS4 exclusives then? It doesn't apply to Switch exclusives. Or any game that has a Vita version. Or any game that doesn't look amazing.
I think the only potential threat to Japan at least giving moderate support to the Switch is if Japanese publishers change their long held historic trends and go all in on the PS5 from the start, as that would move many titles out of the easier port range, but as we established last thread, that's really not looking likely at the moment.

Otherwise, sufficient time, technological development, and a strongly growing install base should serve as enough of an incentive to put a reasonable amount of content out.

Now, mobile is ever present, but I think if mobile became close enough to console gaming that lots of console development teams moved over, we would likely just get those games released on other platforms as well, similar to how Square Enix ported a few of their f2p mobile games to Vita, PS4, and/or 3DS.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you worry, Sony is already thinking about next gen and considering how the PS5 will do against the Switch and other competition, and how they can improve their own strategy :p

Sure. But next gen the PS5 is going to get all the third party support again by defualt. Sony doesn't have to worry bout Nintendo unless Nintendo launches a system so much stronger than we could fathom that it can handle all PS5 games with relative ease.

No handheld form factor will ever get close to that. This isn't saying Nintendo isnt gonna get any support. It just acknowledges that third parties will always produce for Sony.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. But next gen the PS5 is going to get all the third party support again by defualt. Sony doesn't have to worry bout Nintendo unless Nintendo launches a system so much stronger than we could fathom that it can handle all PS5 games with relative ease.

No handheld form factor will ever get close to that. This isn't saying Nintendo isnt gonna get any support. It just acknowledges that third parties will always produce for Sony.

If the PS5 gets the same kind of early support from Japanese 3rd parties as the PS4, it won't be great at all.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Exclusives and simultaneous (or simultaneously announced) multiplats from the bigger publishers:

Bandai Namco
  • Namco Museum
  • One Piece Unlimited World : R - Deluxe Exition
  • Dark Souls Remastered (From Software)
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Nintendo Switch Edition
  • My Hero Academia: One's Justice
  • Tales of series

Capcom
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  • Mega Man 11
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2
  • Ace Attorney series

Koei Tecmo
  • Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo)
  • Nobunaga no Yabou: Taishi
  • Atelier Lydie and Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings
  • Winning Post 8 2018
  • Attack on Titan 2

Konami
  • Super Bomberman R

Level 5
  • Inazuma Eleven: Ares no Tenbin

Marvelous
  • Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
  • Peach Ball: Senran Kagura
  • Story of Seasons series

Sega
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic Forces
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Shining Resonance Re:frain
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus)

Square Enix
  • Seiken Densetsu Collection
  • Lost Sphear
  • Dragon Quest X Online: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e
  • Octopath Traveler
  • The World Ends with You: Final Remix
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017

But does it acknowledge that one day all third parties may support an incredibly strong and successful Nintendo? Because that may be a day the competition are not looking forward to given Nintendo's other advantages in the marketplace.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Week 2:
Kirby Star Allies <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} (¥5.980) - 84.625 / 306.656 (-62%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 90.652 / 375.475 (-68%)
Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 116.931 / 578.969 (-75%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 44.483 / 230.862 (-76%)
Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 105.326 / 753.411 (-84%)

Kirby is the king of the second week drop from all the big Nintendo releases so far.

Week 3:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 32.115 / 262.977 (-28%)
Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 74.235 / 827.646 (-30%)
Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 73.315 / 652.284 (-37%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 36.440 / 411.915 (-60%)

Week 3 looks a lot tougher to beat since Zelda and Splatoon 2 enjoyed a very modest drop. In order for Kirby to come out on top next week it would need to remain above >60K

Week 4:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 39.103 / 302.080 (+22%)
Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 87.983 / 915.628 (+19%)
Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 62.024 / 714.308 (-15%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 28.781 / 440.696 (-21%)

In terms of Week 4 both Zelda and Splatoon 2 were immensely helped by larger Switch supply. For Zelda it coincided with Splatoon 2 Testfire which brought the sales of the Switch from 49K to 78K while for Splatoon 2 sales of the Switch rose from 61K to 87K. Kirby will likely not receive such a boost for a little while yet.

Overall I'd expect for Kirby to end up slotting between Zelda/Splatoon 2 and MK8D/SMO starting next week but when Labo is released during Week 6 I do expect it to receive a boost and that boost to carry over into Golden Week. Overall if trends are followed I'd expect that Kirby will clear 500K by mid May.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it requires more work, like a few months of optimizations and smoothing out bugs. But so far developers have mainly said porting at least the base code to Switch is extremely easy for UE4 games, taking no more than a couple weeks.

This seemingly taking close to a year or more (we don't actually know when the porting started) seems to suggest to me that other things are going on, like card costs being a problem.

This quote:

suggests to me that they know that some technical aspect of this port will take a very long time, when there isn't much suggesting porting UE4 games has ever caused such issues. I could see this being the case if they're adding something substantial to this game (like adding 3DS-type modes) but it seems more likely to me that this is an issue of storage, them either trying to get the file size to fit on a 16GB card or just flat-out waiting for 32GB cards to become cheaper.
True, i just mentioned it since you said "port successfully", which might be read as it only took a few weeks to do the port from start to finish, so i just wanted to comment that it could take more time than this to complete the port. Porting the code base and finishing the game can have a big gap in the work needed. It depends on what the developers find acceptable for which state the game should be in.

That said, i agree that there could be other issues other than just being techincally difficulty doing the DQ11 port to the Switch.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
But does it acknowledge that one day all third parties may support an incredibly strong and successful Nintendo? Because that may be a day the competition are not looking forward to given Nintendo's other advantages in the marketplace.

Every gen every Sony stationary console gets the bulk of the support. That's an easy bet. Every gen Nintendo does not have the same market position, or hardware or goals. That'a why it's not an easy bet with Nintendo.

Which is simply to say, you know what you get with Sony and its easy the predict shit will stay the same.

Its not really controversial

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exclusives and simultaneous (or simultaneously announced) multiplats from the bigger publishers:

Bandai Namco
  • Namco Museum
  • One Piece Unlimited World : R - Deluxe Exition
  • Dark Souls Remastered (From Software)
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Nintendo Switch Edition
  • My Hero Academia: One's Justice
  • Tales of series

Capcom
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  • Mega Man 11
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2
  • Ace Attorney series

Koei Tecmo
  • Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo)
  • Nobunaga no Yabou: Taishi
  • Atelier Lydie and Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings
  • Winning Post 8 2018
  • Attack on Titan 2

Konami
  • Super Bomberman R

Level 5
  • Inazuma Eleven: Ares no Tenbin

Marvelous
  • Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
  • Peach Ball: Senran Kagura
  • Story of Seasons series

Sega
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic Forces
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Shining Resonance Re:frain
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus)

Square Enix
  • Seiken Densetsu Collection
  • Lost Sphear
  • Dragon Quest X Online: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e
  • Octopath Traveler
  • The World Ends with You: Final Remix
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
Interesting. Do you have something similar for PS4 during its first year ?

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Every gen every Sony stationary console gets the bulk of the support. That's an easy bet. Every gen Nintendo does not have the same market position, or hardware or goals. That'a why it's not an easy bet with Nintendo.

Which is simply to say, you know what you get with Sony and its easy the predict shit will stay the same.

Its not really controversial
To think things will always remain the same in this volatile industry because they were that way in the past is a mistake. Times are a changin *whistles

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
It's between III and V for most fans. Only westerners put VIII at the top, and mostly people who aren't DQ series fans at that.

Doubt so. Westerners didn't bought the game that much, it was a japanese phenomenon and is still one of the most sold DQ ever made (top 3 or something ? can't remember exactly). It wouldn't have been such a success if it was just a westerners thing.

You can't just handwave DQVIII phenomenon by saying that. It's one of the greatest game ever made, regardless of what the hardcore fanbase think of it, it's fine if it's not regarded as the best DQ. I never trust fanbase myself, can't stand the bias (yes, even within franchise).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
To think things will always remain the same in this volatile industry because they were that way in the past is a mistake. Times are a changin *whistles

I really doubt that. Part of what helps Sony (and MS to a less extent) maintin all the support is they cater to a market that is larger looking for the same generation leap on games and the publishers cater to that market too.

EA wants to release the next gen battlefield game on next gen hardware. Sony and MS will make that hardware. Thus EA is going to release their games there. It really is that simple. For Japan the biggest franchises world wide apart from DQ sell the bulk of their units in the West. FF16 and RE8 are going to launch on the PS5. We already know this.

Like none of these assumptions are risky.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Switch doing great numbers. And PS4 baseline is much lower than I expected. Oof! At this rate switch is pass PS4 ytd I'm a couple more weeks.

Great hold by Kirby too.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I love DQVIII. It was my first DQ. I played it a couple times as a teen and again after having played all the other DQ (save X) when it came out on 3DS in America.

It is not my favorite DQ. That would be IV, followed by V.

I came to that conclusion independently and was never engaged with any DQ community until GAF/Era. And that is an incredibly small and inactive community that isn't spinning out groupthink. (Heck last Era had post counts I was something like 20% of that thread myself :P)

In any case, my main point originally had nothing to do with DQVIII's quality. It had to do with console warriors and a franchise suddenly belonging on their list again. Aters then said that my visions of past conflict on GAF living again on Era were not born out. I'm still not going to read the thread though.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Just saw the DQXI release date news (and Steam, wow !), I thought the today news was only about the english youtube trailer. And I was there, wondering why we were speaking about Dragon Quest in a MC thread, I thought a youtube video wasn't enough of an excuse ahah, I understand now.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt that. Part of what helps Sony (and MS to a less extent) maintin all the support is they cater to a market that is larger looking for the same generation leap on games and the publishers cater to that market too.

EA wants to release the next gen battlefield game on next gen hardware. Sony and MS will make that hardware. Thus EA is going to release their games there. It really is that simple. For Japan the biggest franchises world wide apart from DQ sell the bulk of their units in the West. FF16 and RE8 are going to launch on the PS5. We already know this.

Like none of these assumptions are risky.
Oh I agree with you about Sony and MS, I just think Nintendo is coming into their own and will be a major player with third party eventually, inevitably. They are just seeing too much success with this hybrid niche they found and have the benefit of momentum over the next couple of years at least. That wall will come tumbling down sooner or later.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I agree with you about Sony and MS, I just think Nintendo is coming into their own and will be a major player with third party eventually, inevitably. They are just seeing too much success with this hybrid niche they found and have the benefit of momentum over the next couple of years at least. That wall will come tumbling down sooner or later.

Nintendo is never predictable. So I can't say one way or the other. All I know is if Nintendo makes hardware capable of multiplat support, they will get many more multiplats. I don't think it's a hate Nintendo thing. I think they just do their own thing and so they get after thought support.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
After some empty months, Switch is now getting games every weeks, and it'll continue for the next two months (with a few exceptions). The April/May games with the most potential are Labo, Donkey Kong and Dark Souls.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is never predictable. So I can't say one way or the other. All I know is if Nintendo makes hardware capable of multiplat support, they will get many more multiplats. I don't think it's a hate Nintendo thing. I think they just do their own thing and so they get after thought support.
Nintendo has been courting devs since the start of this gen so I think their own thing involves third party. It seems to be going well right now and it's only going to get better :p

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has been courting devs since the start of this gen so I think their own thing involves third party. It seems to be going well right now and it's only going to get better :p

We're obviously talking about major publishers and major publisher support has always been an issue with Nintendo. So no not really relevant to the main point I was making.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is intended as a bridge where Nintendo is doing its own thing, playing to its strengths, and also as attractive to third parties as possible while doing so.

There are costs of the former two towards the last item though.

Such as the lower specs or the cartridges.

But Nintendo is occupying the handheld space a Vita successor would occupy, is partnered with a leader in PC gaming technology using off the shelf parts pretty much, and is trying to encourage third parties.

There are intangibles though to consider wrt how third parties saw space for Switch on the market or didn't. Nintendo trying to carve their own space and do their own thing is going to sow doubt among partners especially when their market has been trending down (as with Wii U/3DS).

Scum

Oct 25, 2017
Man, schuelma. What a trooper! I thought you'd given up by now. lool
I mean, they clearly intend to release the game.

That said, I would put this up as an example of what I was saying in two of the previous threads about Japanese developers running into a lot of issues making Switch ports when games are made for the PS4 first, even if they have engines like Unreal Engine 4 that are compatible with the system.
So the Switch is running an updated version of UE4 that it's causing learning difficulties for devs? When's the most likely date you're expecting DQXI to be released for the Switch??

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just a reminder to posters in this thread. If you're going to claim to have 'inside info' then it needs to be cleared with an admin first.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt so. Westerners didn't bought the game that much, it was a japanese phenomenon and is still one of the most sold DQ ever made (top 3 or something ? can't remember exactly). It wouldn't have been such a success if it was just a westerners thing.

You can't just handwave DQVIII phenomenon by saying that. It's one of the greatest game ever made, regardless of what the hardcore fanbase think of it, it's fine if it's not regarded as the best DQ. I never trust fanbase myself, can't stand the bias (yes, even within franchise).
It's not a phenomenon in Japan, it sold worse than III, VII and IX. It's remake also sold worse than the I-VII remakes too.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Man, schuelma. What a trooper! I thought you'd given up by now. lool

So the Switch is running an updated version of UE4 that it's causing learning difficulties for devs? When's the most likely date you're expecting DQXI to be released for the Switch??
No, it's pretty normal to convert your project to newer versions of UE4 repeatedly during development.

The catch is that they might want updates from current or upcoming versions of Unreal Engine 4 in order to have the game run better on Switch, so it takes a few months to convert to a newer version, or it could take even longer if you need to wait until an upcoming version comes out and then spend a couple months converting.

I suspect the version they want to use either just came out (4.19) or is coming out in the future, hence the delay.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
M-C Top 10 Games in Japan 2018:

1) MHW(PS4) - 1984K
2) Splatoon 2(NSW) - 401K
3) Kirby(NSW) - 306K
4) MK8D(NSW) -299K
5) SMO(NSW) - 270K
6) Pokemon US/UM(3DS) - 192K
7) Mario+Rabbids(NSW) - 163K
8) Zelda:BotW(NSW) - 158K
9) DW9(PS4) - 156K
10) Like the North Star(PS4) - 152K

NSW - 6
PS4 - 3
3DS - 1

Only Smash or Pokemon can realistically outsell MHW in 2018.
Zelda will overtake Mario+Rabbids next week and has a good chance to move in-front of Pokemon by the end of April.
Pokemon US/UM will face a difficult task surpassing 300K this year and there isn't another 3DS game that is looking likely to get anywhere near those numbers. 3DS will continue doing 5-10K on average for 2018 but mainly due to BC. Because of this I don't think we will see a 3DS game in the top 10 this year.
By mid-May Nintendo is likely to have 9/10 games in the top 10.
The only 3rd party games likely to finish in the top 10 outside of MHW are:
- Physical Minecraft: the only game I could say with confidence will end up pretty high on the list if they end up releasing it before the end of June
- Kingdom Hearts III: bit of a wild card since we don't really know what type of performance it will experience compared to prior games
- DQB2: if does exceptionally well on the Switch, DQB did >300K on the Vita
- new Yo-Kai: we know it's going to be revealed but is it a 2018 title?

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly hope they do a cross promotion with Nintendo like atlus did for SMT4

My thoughts exactly. The issue though is that VC4 isn't exclusive so there's less incentive to do so. They still could, I mean Nintendo localized/published DQ Builders and that was already on PS4 in NA so yeah, meaning a game being on another system isn't really a big factor I think..

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Square believes so much in DQ11 in the West that they're not making an Xbox One version and the game took an entire year to localize.

I'm fairly confident that this turn-based RPG will sell like a turn-based RPG in America and Europe.

Pokemon is turn-based and I heard it is selling pretty well in the US and Europe. Just fyi, Yokai Watch has been very successful in Europe (France and Spain especially) and is also turn-based. I heard many times people arguing that but this logic is flawed imo.