• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Xenoverse 2 still going even further beyond I see.

And dang at that PS4 hardware drop. guess the MHW hype has finally given out. Still next week MHW will pass 2 million physical which is nothing to sneeze at.

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter World Switch that released H1 2019 would probably sell 2-3m units in Japan and 1-2m in America.

But we'll see if Capcom has the resources to port it over or if they'll focus more on MHW DLC.

I'm pretty sure that MHWG isn't happening because the series is now an American and European series based on sales and that shit probably won't fly in America.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next week MHW will cross 2 million sold in Japan (physical only). First game for home console (I'm not counting Splatoon 2 because Switch is also portable) with over 2 million sold since Wii Party in 2010.

Abriael should we expect article about it?

Oct 25, 2017
Why did PS4 drop so much?
MH also out of the top 10. A lot of titles went up in the rankings despite showing drops which is also pretty weird.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Okay so if the Switches keeps up this pace pre-Smash, that's around another 900k units sold by September.

So then it would need to sell 3.1m in the last four months with Smash and Pokemon and the Holiday.

Do people think that is reasonable or no?
Its gonna hit 1+mil by september, no way its not gonna see spikes with stuff like Labo and Mario Tennis, and don't forget Golden Week. Not to mention summer always has Nintendo hardware get a bump. I maintain that post September, they will have to covet 2-2.5 million ltd if we are talking about 4mil in 2018 alone, and not in terms of FY.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World Switch that released H1 2019 would probably sell 2-3m units in Japan and 1-2m in America.

But we'll see if Capcom has the resources to port it over or if they'll focus more on MHW DLC.

I'm pretty sure that MHWG isn't happening because the series is now an American and European series based on sales and that shit probably won't fly in America.
It will be paid DLC. $30 for even more content.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Okay so if the Switches keeps up this pace pre-Smash, that's around another 900k units sold by September.

So then it would need to sell 3.1m in the last four months with Smash and Pokemon and the Holiday.

Do people think that is reasonable or no?

That'd be 200k a week during that season. Some weeks will obviously be higher to offset some weeks being lower. If they have some weeks before Septemeber with some big sales that will make it easier as well.

Not going to say it will happen (because I'm not psychic), but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility. It Sold roughly 3.6 million last year from March to December and had lots of stock issues (which it might still have, admittedly).

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
All in all, did Monster Hunter reach its objective? I mean the game is surely a success, but is it as big as Capcom wanted?

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't know why people are so sure there isn't any problem with the PS4 at the moment. .

Because I see PS4 units in stores and it hasn't been sold out at online retailers.

I mean I am not saying that there aren't any stores that are facing shortages. Likely the stock is down significantly from the stock. they had before the launch of MHW There might very well be some stores, especially in bigger towns, where the PS4 is sold out. The same can be said for the Switch. But in both cases, if people really want a Switch or a PS4, they can get one this week. If people find it comforting to think that the Switch is not passing 40k because it is sold out or that the PS4 is not passing 15k because it is sold out then that is their prerogative, I suppose, but nothing in my experience leads me to believe that there were a large number of people this week unable to purchase a Switch or PS4 if they so desired.

EDIT: As konoka correctly pointed out, it is indeed sold out at some large online shops.

Last edited:

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For Capcom its bigger than they wanted in both Japan and worldwide.

For Sony/PS4? I dunno..but it certainly didn't lead to any sustained spike of interest.

I wonder where the series will go in the future. ASwitch installment seems inevitable but maybe Sony will double down on it to get the point across

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
All in all, did Monster Hunter reach its objective? I mean the game is surely a success, but is it as big as Capcom wanted?

According to Capcom, yes. In Japan Capcom knew sales would have been constrained by PS4 installed base but the game was still very successful (still 1m down from MH4).

Hardware effect was strong during launch period but legs were short and the game didn't have a long-lasting effect. MH3G, which opened at a much lower number, it was still selling 15-20k two months after launch.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OwO dat Splatoon
no i dont have a bulge rn.....

Nice sales all around!
Also cool to see MHW above 2m physical nearly.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I don't know how low it will go, but IIRC in May after Golden Week things tend to really slow down..

May is indeed one of the worst month for video games sales in Japan. Students and children are back at school / uni, there's no public holiday at all. June is also pretty meh, but tends to do better due to it being the last month of Q1 so it generally gets a fair amount of new releases. It's not until July that things really start to pick up.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PS4 really hit that shortage or anything we will get the comments out of it more from media outlet or blog post or shitty bluff post from JP forums, but here nothing.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Because I see PS4 units in stores and it hasn't been sold out at online retailers.

I mean I am not saying that there aren't any stores that are facing shortages. Likely the stock is down significantly from the stock. they had before the launch of MHW There might very well be some stores, especially in bigger towns, where the PS4 is sold out. The same can be said for the Switch. But in both cases, if people really want a Switch or a PS4, they can get one this week. If people find it comforting to think that the Switch is not passing 40k because it is sold out or that the PS4 is not passing 15k because it is sold out then that is their prerogative, I suppose, but nothing in my experience leads me to believe that there were a large number of people this week unable to purchase a Switch or PS4 if they so desired.
What are you talking about...?
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/2494287051/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_2494234051
http://joshinweb.jp/game/25278.html
https://www.yodobashi.com/category/140007/140008/140009/140019/
https://www.biccamera.com/bc/category/001/210/127/005/
https://www.yamada-denkiweb.com/category/108/001/007/
These major online retailers don't have any PS4 stocks now.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so "Monster Hunter Switch is inevitable" comments seem reeaallly optimistic.

I would think Capcom would focus all of their Monster Hunter resources on getting MHW2 out by early 2021 to have a cross gen release for PS5/PS4.

MHW is going to sell like 15m units... I would think they would focus on a sequel.

We'll see if Capcom can find a port house for MHW.

Oct 25, 2017
For Capcom its bigger than they wanted in both Japan and worldwide.

For Sony/PS4? I dunno..but it certainly didn't lead to any sustained spike of interest.
MH was a big reason PSP and 3DS sold as well as they did.
Even if it was just to keep Mh from launching on Nintendo's latest, it was probably worth all the money Sony spent even if it didn't sell a ton of PS4s

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Okay, so "Monster Hunter Switch is inevitable" comments seem reeaallly optimistic.

I would think Capcom would focus all of their Monster Hunter resources on getting MHW2 out by early 2021 to have a cross gen release for PS5/PS4.

MHW is going to sell like 15m units... I would think they would focus on a sequel.

Capcom has 2 MH development groups if I remember correctly.
The most sensible option considering the fact that they released MHXX on Switch has always been 1 team working on PS4/X1/PC and the other on Switch.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom has 2 MH development groups if I remember correctly.
The most sensible option considering the fact that they released MHXX on Switch has always been 1 team working on PS4/X1/PC and the other on Switch.
It's not because they want more Monster Hunter as soon as possible for the twins and Capcom isn't interested in the Switch. They could just use the other team to make more stuff for World or develop a brand new game for PS4/XONE.

It's certainly not a matter of "when".

Oct 25, 2017

There are like 3 versions of MH3 and like 4 versions of 4/using 4's assets.
A late port would seem wasteful especially if they can't get it out this year.
Portable World or World G if anything.

Switch is big enough that it'll be hard to ignore even if they had full intentions to before it launched.
Portable World using World's assets, maybe with loading screens breaking up each section of the map, would likely do very well.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Next week MHW will cross 2 million sold in Japan (physical only). First game for home console (I'm not counting Splatoon 2 because Switch is also portable) with over 2 million sold since Wii Party in 2010.

Abriael should we expect article about it?
I don't count MHW as the first game for home console over 2 million since 2010, because MH was always a handheld game. Therefore MHW is just a Handheld game HDfied.

I always hate those reasons why something is not this or that. Same with people trying to dismiss the success of MHW.

Oct 26, 2017
There are like 3 versions of MH3 and like 4 versions of 4/using 4's assets.
A late port would seem wasteful especially if they can't get it out this year.
Portable World or World G if anything.

Switch is big enough that it'll be hard to ignore even if they had full intentions to before it launched.
Portable World using World's assets, maybe with loading screens breaking up each section of the map, would likely do very well.

Of course it would, it would sell like 4m units.

But that's probably not worth it to Capcom if it takes away serious resources away from making MHW DLC and MHW2. We'll see if they find a port house.