• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Speaking about Xenosaga, whats everyones outlook for XBDE.
Im thinking atleast 120k after a few weeks. First week probably 80-ish K.

2 was a real surprise with great legs, and DE not only is a HD remaster of a cult classic it's also featuring new content. I think it may sell very well for what it is if the reviews are good (and they will). I can see it debuting at 80k but with a bigger digital share than 2.

If the COVID-19 boost extends to late May I can see it selling more than XC2 honestly.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think lifetime XBDE has a shot at selling 200k or more at retail. XB2 is over 250k at retail, right? With the added content and the big graphical improvements, along with its status as a top tier JRPG, I think XBDE has a good chance to sell quite like a new game in the franchise. With digital (which will likely be bigger than XBDE because it has vouchers from the get-go), it might even sell on par with XB2 imo.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
2 was a real surprise with great legs, and DE other then being a HD remaster of a cult classic it's also featuring new content. I think it may sell very well for what it is if the reviews are good (and they will). I can see it debuting at 80k but with a bigger digital share than 2.

If the COVID-19 boost extends to late May I can see it selling more than XC2 honestly.
Both the original Xenoblade and 2 had legs.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Okay, so apparently the PS4 version of Doraemon Story of Season will have Thai language support. Which is confused the heck out of me. Like, why would they did that. I guess that Bandai Namco Asia thought the PS4 is worth enough to make a Thai language support. But One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 on Switch have Thai language support so I don't know.

Well, hoping the other versions would add the language support at least.

Doraemon and PS is Huge in thai.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that's going to hold Xenoblade DE back in Japan is the N3DS release, which already sold pretty well. That likely soaked up a lot of the demand that was missed on Wii.

It's hard to predict, overall I would be surprised if DE didn't end up as the second best selling game in the franchise worldwide.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think Xenoblade is going to surprise more than one.

Worlwide I think it is going to be a huge success. 1.5m+ for its launch quarter and 2.5m+ LTD.

In Japan, vouchers are going to eat up a lot of retail sales. So retail is going to be down from 2. Overall ? Still hard to know, probably less I'd say.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
The thing that's going to hold Xenoblade DE back in Japan is the N3DS release, which already sold pretty well. That likely soaked up a lot of the demand that was missed on Wii.

It's hard to predict, overall I would be surprised if DE didn't end up as the second best selling game in the franchise worldwide.
I skipped on the N3DS version because it wasn't much of an update to me plus this game needs that big screen feel. I played the original on a 40 inch sub HD TV and sub HD console. I'll be playing this version on a 65 inch HD TV. This is my most important game of 2020. I think these reasons alone is enough to give the switch version a chance to be the best seller

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Hope it does. 1.5mil would be huge and 2mil be insane for it since it already had a re release before. Game looks so clean, I hope that extra story mode is meaty but we shall see.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade will be big and might also get some help from a may release with the currant situation. I'm going to make a crazy prediction here and say it will outsell 2. It looks really good and I think it is a better game than 2.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Deo Volente, that is.

42mn.

Ok, ok, I stop :P

About XCDE, these are what will determine sales:

- impact of XC2 in bringing new audience, and Nintendo's ability to capitalize on that new audience. Right now, Nintendo's promotion is fairly muted compared to XC2 (outside Directs)
- depth of the improvements and content for fans of the original version that may need persuading
- size of the core fanbase that will just rebuy the game into eternity

Hard to say right now where it'll land, but hopefully it can leg its way past niche status.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
You're talking about 15-20 year old games, that weren't particularly successful, and didn't release in Europe. In extreme enthusiast circles it/they might be beloved but wider audiences won't even know them, and after that long there is no reason to assume they are locked in to PlayStation.

People stopped using the Super Nintendo as a basis for where audiences are about 20 years ago. It's probably time we do the same for PS1.

There is a lot to unpack here, so a few things:

1. I never said they were "locked in to PlayStation," I'm simply saying that the audience for them is also on PlayStation, especially Gears.

2. If you are talking about Xenosaga alone, these two sort of make sense. If you including Gears, not really.
・that weren't particularly successful
・extreme enthusiast circles

3. The PlayStation platform has maintained its JRPG audience.

Xenosaga, at this point, is niche. Xenogears, however, is a beloved classic that has now sold well over a million copies. Unless you want to argue that anything 15-20 years old is niche and unknown.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure SNES dropped its audience either to be frank, everything that was successful to some extent on snes continues to sell well on later Nintendo consoles. That includes jrpgs that which the fanbase never left, but instead migrated mostly to portable and had ps as another console for choices

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I remember seeing a few days ago about a Kirby game that the devs said wants the series to be its pinnacle. Kirby is huge in Japan and Star allies could be a million seller (how close is it?) but what we would a hypothetical 3D Kirby do?

I kno they were experimenting with it on 3ds as a side mode for the main game but a fully fleshed out 3D like Mario (think 3D World) but for Kirby and his abilities/worlds I think would be an instant hit and do well over 1mil

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
A few months ago I was expecting xenoblaDE to sell good but not overwhelmingly good, like the best selling version but not by very much. But with current circumstances, it has the possibility to really blow up by Xenoblade standards. It's basically the next big game from Nintendo during worldwide isolation, in which literal millions of people have just bought a new switch, and (along with many existing owners) will be looking for something new to play. I actually think it will outsell Xenoblade 2 in most regions (which was already a massive success for the franchise), Or even more.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot to unpack here, so a few things:

1. I never said they were "locked in to PlayStation," I'm simply saying that the audience for them is also on PlayStation, especially Gears.

2. If you are talking about Xenosaga alone, these two sort of make sense. If you including Gears, not really.
・that weren't particularly successful
・extreme enthusiast circles

3. The PlayStation platform has maintained its JRPG audience.

Xenosaga, at this point, is niche. Xenogears, however, is a beloved classic that has now sold well over a million copies. Unless you want to argue that anything 15-20 years old is niche and unknown.

The bolded is the salient point, and would make as much sense if we were hypothetically discussing a Baiten Kaitos Remaster despite those games never appearing on PlayStation.

1m copies 20 years ago without a real follow up is exactly what would render a specific IP as niche to me. Any remaster/remake/reboot would by necessity need to appeal to new customers to hit a mass market level.