Oct 25, 2017
Back in my day there would be a fool that jingled his way into the thread wearing his ninja garb, he wiggled his jester cap and told me "Naive you be, to think this be A Grade x3. Too much that be on a single hitch, only 200k will break it from niche." And then he'd gaslight you with arbitrary lists.

Anyways I'd say for this game, selling around that at launch window would be a good foundation.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Do people think Ubisoft will do a streaming release of the rumored new AC for switch ?
Was there any info on how well AC Odyssey did with that release ?

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Do people think Ubisoft will do a streaming release of the rumored new AC for switch ?
Was there any info on how well AC Odyssey did with that release ?
I don't know if they'll make another Cloud version, but as soon as a Stadia version is announced I think it's fair to expect a Cloud version too

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You and me both.

What are the required sales for a mid-sized JRPG to be considered successful in the Japanese market these days?

Hard to say because nowadays most of the sales are done outside Japan even for mid-sized jRPGs. Also depends also on developers' expectations. SMTIV sold around 260k units on 3DS in Japan and that was seen as a pretty big success, for example.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Hard to say because nowadays most of the sales are done outside Japan even for mid-sized jRPGs. Also depends also on developers' expectations. SMTIV sold around 260k units on 3DS in Japan and that was seen as a pretty big success, for example.

Thanks! Do you know what is a success when including global/overall sales for a mid-sized JRPG? 500k units? A million? 1-2 million?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone means a game has to sell a couple of hundred thousand copies in Japan and a couple of million copies worldwide.

Roy83

Jan 4, 2018
Thanks! Do you know what is a success when including global/overall sales for a mid-sized JRPG? 500k units? A million? 1-2 million?

Depends on publisher's expectations, but for reference purposes, total shipments and digital sales for Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout have surpassed 420.000 units worldwide. The highest-selling Atelier game and a great success for Koei Tecmo.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
So since numbers wont arrive till tomorrow, and we have not hit 20 pages yet on this thread, how about a topic for discussion that has never been seen in MC threads:

With NSO trial getting reset, meaning everybody gets a week of NSO for free, how big will the week over week increase be for Splatoon, since at least for a week, it wont be held back by NSO ?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Depends on publisher's expectations, but for reference purposes, total shipments and digital sales for Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout have surpassed 420.000 units worldwide. The highest-selling Atelier game and a great success for Koei Tecmo.

Thanks a lot. I wonder what Square Enix has for its mid-sized projects like Trials of Mana.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
So since numbers wont arrive till tomorrow, and we have not hit 20 pages yet on this thread, how about a topic for discussion that has never been seen in MC threads:

With NSO trial getting reset, meaning everybody gets a week of NSO for free, how big will the week over week increase be for Splatoon, since at least for a week, it wont be held back by NSO ?

There is a chance that we don't get numbers even tomorrow due to Golden Week. However just today 29th (and the weekend) is a proper holiday, so we should get it without delays (right Famitsu!?).
Cross your fingers.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a chance that we don't get numbers even tomorrow due to Golden Week. However just today 29th (and the weekend) is a proper holiday, so we should get it without delays (right Famitsu!?).
Cross your fingers.
If we don't, we'll just have to talk about Monster Hunter for the next couple days

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think everyone means a game has to sell a couple of hundred thousand copies in Japan and a couple of million copies worldwide.
1301237598539.jpg

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Cross your fingers.

It's not this week I'm worried about, but next one.

Couple as in just 2, or more? ;)

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Isn't their a free demo also helping?

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

Technically, Golden Week festivities end on May 5th, which could mean we might get next week rankings on May 7th...but eh. First, let's hope we get Week 17 ones as we're expecting.

And I know the current situation isn't ideal, but it sure would help to put warnings about when to expect rankings whenever Holidays happen. At least we'd know when to expect them without having to make guesses :P

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017

Next week I'm not worried because it's guaranteed, and I already assumed it would be delayed since I checked the calendar long time ago. No suprises. Also, next week we have Nintendo financial, so we'll have other numbers to discuss.

But if tomorrow is delayed then I'll be pissed. -.-

Technically, Golden Week festivities end on May 5th, which could mean we might get next week rankings on May 7th...but eh. First, let's hope we get Week 17 ones as we're expecting.

And I know the current situation isn't ideal, but it sure would help to put warnings about when to expect rankings whenever Holidays happen. At least we'd know when to expect them without having to make guesses :P
Actually they end the 6th. Monday to Wednesday are national holidays. From the 7th back to "normal". Famitsu won't have the numbers ready the 7th, with just one laborable day, probably the following week.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Sunday to Wednesday are all national holidays so famitsu has window until Saturday for this week's results since next one will be 2 weeks combined.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Sunday to Wednesday are all national holidays so famitsu has window until Saturday for this week's results since next one will be 2 weeks combined.

Just guessing, but I think it will be:

30th Apr - Week 17 Hardware and Top 10
1st May - Week 17 Top 30 and sell-through

7-10th May - nothing

11th or 12th May - Week 18 Top 30 and sell-through
13th May* - Week 18 and 19 Hardware and Top 10 combined
14th May* - Week 19 Top 30 and sell-through

*If sales are released back on Wednesdays, if it's still on Thursdays then a day later.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know why I'm here.

Tensaiya Nomura

44416.jpg

All rise for....

tumblr_nz2ic799wM1radtkso2_500.gif

FF7R sells 70k to reach 773k. A perfect round of 7's once again. Only a tensai can make something so poetic happen 2 weeks in a row. With that said...

Congratulations to FF7R. It has surpassed 1m. As expected. The tensai has done it again! Not just with KH3, but with FF7R as well. Two 1 million sellers 2 years in a row (KH3 walked to it so that FF7R could take off from it). Only the one true tensai can achieve such feat. Congrats to all involved and thank you all for your support.

Have a good day.
Lucky 7

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Next week I'm not worried because it's guaranteed, and I already assumed it would be delayed since I checked the calendar long time ago. No suprises. Also, next week we have Nintendo financial, so we'll have other numbers to discuss.

But if tomorrow is delayed then I'll be pissed. -.-

Actually they end the 6th. Monday to Wednesday are national holidays. From the 7th back to "normal". Famitsu won't have the numbers ready the 7th, with just one laborable day, probably the following week.

...Oh you're right, they'd have just one day to get and elaborate the numbers. Yeeeeah, I really doubt we're going to get rankings next week then.
Actually, given what happened at the end of last year, I wonder if it's possible that Famitsu will provide a (later) release of Week 18 numbers and then they combine Week 19 + Week 20 numbers.

EDIT: Adding a clear representation of my schedule hypotesis

Thursday 30th - Week 17 Top 10 + hardware
Friday May 1st - Week 17 Top 30

Next week - nothing

Wednesday 13th / Thursday 14th - Week 18 Top 10 + hardware
Thursday 14th / Friday 15th - Week 18 Top 30

Monday 18th - Week 19 Top 30
Wednesday 20th / Thursday 21st - Week 19 + Week 20 Top 10 + hardware
Thursday 21st / Friday 22nd - Week 20 Top 30

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will report FY results at first week of May for first time since 2015, Golden Week will be far from empty this year. Sony is the week after.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Nintendo will report FY results at first week of May for first time since 2015, Golden Week will be far from empty this year. Sony is the week after.

Do you think there is a possibility of Nintendo shipping over 300k for GW? For either one? I wonder if we are going to see like 150k each week or maybe something a lot more/less.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Ninjala demo reminded me of the splatests/arms demos only far less stable. It's clear that's what they were going for.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ninjala's art direction is shamelessly Splatoon x Arms, but the copy is so good that I don't think anybody even minds in the end. It could pass for a first-party game and that's something few third parties can achieve.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Trials of Mana Switch has started to face extended shortage across several retailers, Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy VII Remake supply is normalised.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I'm still hoping for a 250k* week for AC but probably be closer to 150k-200k.

FFVII with a good drop and do 45k-50k would be excellent for a jrpg

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too far out to have any clues on how Ghost of Tsushima is doing? Could it sell on par with Horizon Zero Dawn?

Kovalxy

Apr 5, 2020
QOa6BrE.png

I think the Ninjala demo was quite succesful.

Ah, I missed all the sessions! I guess I'll download the game and try it out for myself. It looks pretty interesting, though I have to make sure to tell myself it's not Splatoon so I don't make endless comparisons.

Hopefully they iron out all the connection issues by release!