• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How long until Phil gets it on Gamepass?

They probably just don't care.

It's not the PC version though, Stadia games are natively ported to the platform (blade). It's essentially like a streaming console.

Yup, consider that this release has leaked because they specifically need a rating for Stadia as well. If it was the PC release that wouldn't be the case.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's done for the sake of looking legitimate. Because if Stadia needs a rating, then what does that mean for other streaming platforms?

But ratings are optional, so Google just wants to look like a separate platform despite running on an intel/amd pc running linux

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Same with Bravely Default II and even Daemon X Machina really. They're 3rd party games but Nintendo's been so involved on a global level with publishing, promotion and localization, even through the development process, that I don't see them going to other directly competitive consoles. They feel like a step beyond the usual regional pickup.
Devil's third also had a pc release

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Square is clearly doing a lot with the Octopath franchise between the PC/Stadia ports, the mobile spin-off and the extended localization.

With 2m+ units sold it is clearly their biggest AA franchise and I am expecting them to push the sequel pretty hard.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Im happy that Octopath is coming to Stadia. hopefully all 4 people on the service will enjoy it.
Gamepass would imo be a huge get, so many new people to experience the game on PC.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
There's nothing surprising at Nintendo not considering Stadia as direct competition really. Even less now that it's actually out and isn't competition for anyone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing surprising at Nintendo not considering Stadia as direct competition really. Even less now that it's actually out and isn't competition for anyone.
Probably less what console makers think and more third parties making some kind to stipulations regarding any kind of exclusivity. Even bigger games like FF7 can't maintain full exclusivity and is coming to PC at least

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Probably less what console makers think and more third parties making some kind to stipulations regarding any kind of exclusivity. Even bigger games like FF7 can't maintain full exclusivity and is coming to PC at least

Timed exclusives pretty much do the same job as full exclusive would (get the hardcore fans of the game buy your platform to play the game first) so it makes sense that console makers don't anymore spent tons of cash to make full exclusive deals. Not to mention it's more and more expensive especially with big AAA games like FFVII. I actually wonder what was last time big third party AAA game released exclusively on one platform. MGSIV maybe? Titanfall kinda but it came to PC too (at least it was console exclusive).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Timed exclusives pretty much do the same job as full exclusive would (get the hardcore fans of the game buy your platform to play the game first) so it makes sense that console makers don't anymore spent tons of cash to make full exclusive deals. Not to mention it's more and more expensive especially with big AAA games like FFVII.
Aye that's my reasoning. If they're just paying marketing, then timed is as good as it gets. Besides, I think the prevalence of PC ports is also due to longevity. Easier to sell a game long after there than anywhere else. Wouldn't be shocked to hear Octopath topping 3M after some $5-$10 steam sales in a couple years

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Aye that's my reasoning. If they're just paying marketing, then timed is as good as it gets. Besides, I think the prevalence of PC ports is also due to longevity. Easier to sell a game long after there than anywhere else. Wouldn't be shocked to hear Octopath topping 3M after some $5-$10 steam sales in a couple years
Is Square known to have these huge sales for their Japanese games tho ?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't huge but the first Nier sale boosted its popularity dramatically on Steam. Octopath is crazy expensive right now, so even a moderate sale could offer a good boost.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried to put some limit on the pricing of DxM and Octopath to avoid their version being undercut.

On that note has DQB2 had any price promotion on PS4?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tried to put some limit on the pricing of DxM and Octopath to avoid their version being undercut.

On that note has DQB2 had any price promotion on PS4?
Nintendo would do nothing about it.

However, having retail copies holding very well their value is good for the publishers. They don't have to have very aggressive discounts in order to stand out.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
You made a great point. They probably just underestimated demand. Retailers were probably still thinking about Sakura Wars when they placed their orders and Square Enix was probably focused on this month's other remake to try and keep more stock on hand.
Yeah, thats possible. And to your point earlier, its of course possible that a publisher is happy if lack of physical version leads to my download version sales :) (even if they try to avoid the physical version getting out of stock). And on this topic, i wish we had more information about how the production and shipping works for restocking. Sometimes it can take up to a few weeks to get a restock, so i wonder how this process works exactly.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I agree, but it's technically the same thing, one way or another.

For FF7R, there was no way that S-E would allow a full exclusive for such a big budget game. They're not interested in this kind of thing anymore, we can even see that with KH now.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Square is clearly doing a lot with the Octopath franchise between the PC/Stadia ports, the mobile spin-off and the extended localization.

With 2m+ units sold it is clearly their biggest AA franchise and I am expecting them to push the sequel pretty hard.

Is the team behind the same of Bravely II?
Just to figure out a possible timing for its release

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thanks
so just a partial overlap, and Octopath 2 (how in the blue hell are they going to call it?!) could already be in active development
I dont see the problem with the name Octopath Traveler 2 tbh.

They confirmed that they were already working on a sequel. 2021 is possible as it would mean around 3 years of development.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty amazing how much Enix side producers have come up in recent years with Bravely, Nier and Octopath all blowing up and becoming million sellers. It's not just DQ anymore.

Square side feels really tame in comparison imo, still relying on FF and KH and not delivering another platinum IP since the merger either.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

They confirmed that they were already working on a sequel. 2021 is possible as it would mean around 3 years of development.

I was just wondering if they will still offer 8 characters/stories or if they will go nuts with 16 paths and change the name in order to keep the 8x2 in the title lol
2021 would be great for it!

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The contract probably was pretty simple:

- Full exclusivity for x months
- Console exclusivity for an additional y months

And since Windows and Stadia both aren't console platforms, the game can be ported and released on there.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Premium Live delayed (originally taking place on June 27th).

avex.jp

幻影異聞録♯FE Encore ~PREMIUM LIVE~ 2020年6月27日(土)開催

アトラス✕ファイアーエムブレム コラボRPG「幻影異聞録♯FE Encore」大好評の前回のLIVEから4年!豪華声優陣が歌う珠玉のキャラクターソングや朗読劇などココでしか見れないプレミアムなステージを再び!

Surprised they're not just outright canceling it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thanks
so just a partial overlap, and Octopath 2 (how in the blue hell are they going to call it?!) could already be in active development

I'd like something like "Octopath Voyagers", though there's only so many 8 letter synonyms they could use I suppose.

Cool to see that Octopath is being treated as a promising IP by SE.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

yeah excited for the future of that IP

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Trials of Mana seems to be really liked by those that bought it too, so it's nice to hear if it's doing well.
Could lead to a good new game from that team.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Last edited:

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
The original FF7 sold ~3.3m in Japan by end of 1997. What's the Era projections for lifetime sales of FF7R? Half of that, 1.6-1.7m?

That drop is pretty insane and it feels like the overall audience for FF7R is a lot more Western than it ever was

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Premium Live delayed (originally taking place on June 27th).

avex.jp

幻影異聞録♯FE Encore ~PREMIUM LIVE~ 2020年6月27日(土)開催

アトラス✕ファイアーエムブレム コラボRPG「幻影異聞録♯FE Encore」大好評の前回のLIVEから4年!豪華声優陣が歌う珠玉のキャラクターソングや朗読劇などココでしか見れないプレミアムなステージを再び!

Surprised they're not just outright canceling it.

For every event delayed/not cancelled just assume that they probably didn't have an insurance/proper contract or something to cover the loss in case of cancellation due to extraordinary events. They'd rather hold onto their customer's money and pray for the best later on instead of refunding everyone and losing more money in the short term.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The original FF7 sold ~3.3m in Japan by end of 1997. What's the Era projections for lifetime sales of FF7R? Half of that, 1.6-1.7m?

That drop is pretty insane and it feels like the overall audience for FF7R is a lot more Western than it ever was
Has't FF's audience been mainly western for a decade now
Doesn't feel new