• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not unusual for people to impulse buy a high demand product even if they didn't really have much of a use for it.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Falcom doesn't publish games in the West, also don't forget that Asia follows Japan trends in the console market and is often the actual driver of overseas sales for games from Japan.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
You know something spectacular is going on when you can even entertain the idea that maybe some mass scalping of PS5's is actually going on. Because if it isn't, ooof. Obviously PS5 will be fine but it feels like a major shift can still happen among the game developers in Japan who don't rely as much on western sales.

This major shifting is already happening.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Are you referring to weekly sales?

People were expecting weekly PS5 sales to dip under 10,000 at least a month ago. So yes, once there is no longer demand the weekly sales numbers will drop.

Well that's obvious (regarding demand settled = less sales) but I think your missing my point. I mean since the theory of a lot of hardware is being bought for outside consumer, that essentially means that sales will drop a lot harder than if it was actually Japanese consumers buying these ps5 now.

Sorry if I'm not wording this right

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Focusing to west or not had almost never to do with Switch support. For the remaining defenders in Japan the real question remains being loyal to Sony or not.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Well that's obvious (regarding demand settled = less sales) but I think your missing my point. I mean since the theory of a lot of hardware is being bought for outside consumer, that essentially means that sales will drop a lot harder than if it was actually Japanese consumers buying these ps5 now.

Sorry if I'm not wording this right
Uh, have a look at the PS4 sales curve from the PS4/PS5 comparison chart near the start of this thread and you'll see what was expected for the PS5.

Dalthien

Oct 25, 2017
Focusing to west or not had almost never to do with Switch support. For the remaining defenders in Japan the real question remains being loyal to Sony or not.
This is the real point. I mean, it's clear as day by this point that the Switch audience in the west will stand toe-to-toe vs any other system when it comes to purchasing Japanese software. If Japanese publishers were truly focused on the west, then the Switch would be a priority platform for their games in the west. There are a small handful of games from Japan where technical specs are a defining factor in platform choice - but for the overwhelming majority of games it has nothing to do with focusing on the west if the Switch isn't included in that decision.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I doubt Underwater Ray Romano is aimed at the west

Japanese people can't buy software if they can't get the hardware
So then we assume scalping is the massive issue some are theorizing to be? That's still not good news for 3P devs looking to make PS5 content as the issue will last until next year. PS4 sales are declining so how long do we think they will wait? Game companies have to make decisions in the present. It's been half a year already.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I had a look to the old place to see what was the deal about and damn, Media Create threads except being a graveyard have become a complete mess full of fanboys and ignorance. From the moment the old guard left I doubt there was a single thread there that offered something except systems wars.

Not to be that guy, but folks in this thread can become a little... overpassionate when certain topics come up. Namely Harada, Nagoshi and Kondo.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one that have it aren't buying either lol
So then we assume scalping is the massive issue some are theorizing to be? That's still not good news for 3P devs looking to make PS5 content as the issue will last until next year. PS4 sales are declining so how long do we think they will wait? Game companies have to make decisions in the present. It's been half a year already.

It would at least be a somewhat temporary problem. It would imply that at some point the PS5 will pick up.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
If indeed 100-200k PS5s have been sold from Japan to other countries (particularly China), then the official China launch on Saturday should ease that pressure in a few months. Still, 180k physical software sold even on an install base of 300k suggests that lack of appealing software is the deeper underlying problem.

I think that's the challenge explaining the situation, we're seeing a continuation of the low PS4 software sales from recent years + low circulation of PS5s. Removing one problem doesn't change this dynamic.

YasuYone

Feb 17, 2021
20 weeks since release

Wii U
software - 1.378.938 (14.428 at 20th week)
hardware - 893.393 (8.047 at 20th week)

PS5
software - 179.650 (<15.000 at 20th week)
hardware - 485.476 + 94.735 DE = 580.211 (51.931 + 10.364 DE = 62.295 at 20th week)
Hot damn. The Wii U still winning. That software gap could fix by 1 or 2 big franchise or many medium franchise but still a long road. And it doesnt help if we see a decline of Playstation games from PS4 to PS5.

P Diddy

Jul 1, 2020
Since we received more clarity on the 5M shipment announcement for MHR from Capcom, I wish we had a better idea about the 6M announcement.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Most of Nintendo's output became big hits on Switch so I don't expect anything less from a EAD developed DK game.
If it exists it might be a side project like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat) though, if I understand correctly NateDrake said that it isn't being made by the core Odyssey team.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
infinity strash got full multi all over it.

switch/ps/xbox and pc. Might be epic exclusive, pc wise, I guess.

P Diddy

Jul 1, 2020
Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2017 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

01./00. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard # <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.01.26} (¥7.990) - 187.306 / NEW <58,63%>
016./000. [PS4] Resident Evil 2 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2019.01.25} (¥7.800) - 376.315 / NEW (252.848 <75,09%>)

Recent(ish) sell-through numbers for Resident Evil games.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
If it exists it might be a side project like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (or Donkey Kong Jungle Beat) though, if I understand correctly NateDrake said that it isn't being made by the core Odyssey team.
I think DK is an important property for them. I don't think Nintendo do side projects internally. All their games have a good chance of succeeding and have high sales expectations.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they have to go digital only in japan for DQ12 than theres no use having a PS5 version at all

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I just cited one recent example of a side project at EPD 8 in the post you quoted lol.
I don't think Toad or Jungle Beat were side projects. They were serious projects and people like them. Now sales wise they could have been better received but ultimately I don't think Nintendo EPD or any other division of theirs do side projects. Most of their games are made with modest budgets and the plan is always to create big hits with new ideas and not necessarily with big budgets.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If only there was a platform that was hugely successful both in Japan and in the west.
brb trying to imagine how that would look like

200.gif

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What game developers could you be referring to? Even Compile Heart sells the large majority of their titles in the west. Falcom? They sell the majority in the west. The only game developers that don't rely on the west are the bishoujo/VN game devs, and those don't have any PS5 or any PS4 exclusive releases as far as I know. The new expanded Summer Pockets for instance released on Switch. I think Enterbrain is dead as far as the Photo Kano/Amagami team. Who are these developers?

Money is driving demand. High profitability for selling to those who will selll the PS5 in China.
A lot of these games sell more in the west because their games are dropping off in Japan due to platform choice among other things.

Selling well in both Japan and the west should be the goal, not trying to offset the decline.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2017 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

01./00. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard # <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.01.26} (¥7.990) - 187.306 / NEW <58,63%>
016./000. [PS4] Resident Evil 2 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2019.01.25} (¥7.800) - 376.315 / NEW (252.848 <75,09%>)

Recent(ish) sell-through numbers for Resident Evil games.

I know Resi 8 is not going to set the charts on fire but I hope there is good word of mouth and people in Japan give it a chance.