Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really don't get how a bunch of adults can have such hatred for something aimed at children. It's really weird but kind of funny at the same time. Especially with how smug that one dude is about it.

I mean, I think we all know why they're so smug about it. Nintendo had the audacity to release something that isn't aimed at the Hardcore mature gamer. Switch was supposed to be a hardcore gaming paradise, not another Wii /s

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, is it safe to say at this point that whatever they had planned for the Tales game likely got rolled into whatever plans they have for the next mainline title? A mere port would have surely been announced by now.
That's what i think as well, remember that this was announced of Jan of last year and we still havent heard a peep about, meanwhile the "blazblue" game that was announced at literally the same time ended up being cross tag battle and its coming out by the end of this month

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt anyone has "hatred" for Labo, but why does everyone have to be cheering for it by the same token?

Nintendo bet hard on things like Nintendogs + Cats and Nintendo Land + NSMBU to carry the 3DS and Wii U and got burned hard by this so-called "expanded audience" and went through several down years when they got ditched by that audience.

If you have a friend that got jerked around by a previous partner, now is doing well, but is starting to try and get back with that person... I think it's fair to say "hey wait a minute, is this really a good idea?". Maybe not the best analogy but you get the gist of it.

Also Labo's sell through is dismal right now and impact on hardware sales has been negligible to none from any reasonable analysis thus far.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt anyone has "hatred" for Labo, but why does everyone have to be cheering for it by the same token?

Nintendo bet hard on things like Nintendogs + Cats and Nintendo Land + NSMBU to carry the 3DS and Wii U and got burned hard by this so-called "expanded audience" and went through several down years when they got ditched by that audience.

If you have a friend that got jerked around by a previous partner, now is doing well, but is starting to try and get back with that person... I think it's fair to say "hey wait a minute, is this really a good idea?". Maybe not the best analogy but you get the gist of it.

Also Labo's sell through is dismal right now and impact on hardware sales has been negligible to none from any reasonable analysis thus far.

It's pretty clear that Nintendo isn't relying on just the expanded audience. They're trying their hand at appealing to a variety of audiences, which is smart. People act as if they don't have Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, Smash, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 3, etc. announced that should appeal to the core gaming audience just fine. Not every game has to serve them.

Not to mention a vast majority of Switch's software so far has appealed to the core audience. Only Labo and 1-2 Switch have really deviated.

Oct 27, 2017

Of course Labo's not going to have amazing sell through out of the gate. It's a toy, and Nintendo is marketing and treating it exactly like a Toy. Toys make the vast majority of their sales from the holidays. We know Labo saw a bump during Golden Week in Japan, so if it can pull insane numbers during Christmas, especially if Nintendo releases another Kit, and still chart quite highly afterwards, then it's got a good life ahead of it.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt anyone has "hatred" for Labo,

then you haven't been paying attention

Namco said they were making switch exclusives that'll start coming out by this summer.
I guess Nintendo is working closer with Namco since they seem pretty involved with Go Vacation.

Go Vacation seems like a fine enough first step.
Hope that after Smash and MP4 Namco starts making more of their multiplats targeting switch as well.

As for Labo, I'm interested in what they'll do next. It seems like the VC was well received and is selling well enough. I hope they experiment more with pricing and kit types.
Variety Kit has like 5 mini games, right? If they want they can probably make smaller kits for $40-50 with maybe 2 mini games.
I also don't think they can keep making these huge boxes.

yeah, they need a cheaper labo sku at a lower pricepoint

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The WiiU was a shitty product and the 3DS launched as a shitty product. I don't blame any audience for ditching those machines.

Lmao no not at all. The 3DS and WiiU had all the same Nintendo core games as literally every other NIntendo device. It's just cry babies being bitter that they aren't the sole focus of Nintendo. It's nothing more profound than that.

I don't know what Nintendo expected but I personally never say Labo as a hardware pusher. The Variety Kit's sell through is fine, Robot is poor. You can't judge products like Labo (or really any product not focused on gaming enthusiasts) by sell through. That type of software has a long burn.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If there is no mention from BN for Go Vacation in Japan Nintendo will be the publisher there too. Preorders will open immediately after its announcement if BN takes over.

Jan 1, 2018
Is anyone still making the switch game attachment rate chart? I love seeing that one. It's hard to find the charts if not on fron page.
I wasn't, but if something like this is what you're looking for I can keep it up to date if you'd like
aae
aag

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think 1-2 Switch's continued success shows the casual market on Switch is being underserved currently

Oct 26, 2017
It just goes to show that the "Wii audience is gone" claims were always kind of BS.

Bandai Namco is literally reviving this via Go Vacation.

Honestly there's a shit ton of Wii games by 3rd-parties I'd LOVE to see on Switch, even straight ports in 1080p.

- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
- Klonoa
- Tales of Graces
- Rune Factory Frontier
- Muramasa The Demon Blade
- Little King's Story
- Arc Rise Fantasia
- No More Heroes 1 & 2

Actually I'd like to see We Ski & Snowboard as well maybe.

Western games like Raving Rabbids Party Collection (+ Travel in Time) would be incredible. Order Up is also a really underrated game (and it's likely now that Nicalis owns SuperVillain Studios). SSX Blur and Need for Speed Nitro would be awesome... but you know, EA...

Honestly there's not a huge amount of casual games that are as good to bring over since sadly like 90% of them were legit shovelware. Thankfully Go Vacation was one of the good ones.

Hell Bandai Namco might actually have been the #1 casual game maker on Wii in terms of quality; We Ski, We Ski & Snowboard, Go Vacation, Fishing Resort, the Taiko series, etc.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Rocket league collector's édition ps4/switch....... July 26 lol https://www.amazon.co.jp/ワーナー・エンターテインメント・ジャパン-ロケットリーグ-コレクターズ・エディション-Switch/dp/B07D3HY8Z4/ref=sr_1_121?m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1526604126&sr=1-121&refinements=p_6:AN1VRQENFRJN5,p_n_date:82827051

9 games for July 26 lol

[UPDATE] Switch physical games, Japan, Summer

June 07: Little Nightmares
June 08: Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
June 14: GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology
June 21: THE 密室からの脱出 ~運命をつなぐ35の謎~
June 21: THE 麻雀
June 21: Minecraft
June 22: Mario Tennis Aces
June 28: Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana
June 28: Death Mark

July 12: Shining Resonance Refrain
July 13: Octopath Traveler
July 13: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
July 13: Splatoon 2 DLC ?
July 19: Sonic Mania Plus
July 19: Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version!
July 19: Closed Nightmare
July 19: 不思議の幻想郷TOD -RELOADED-
July 26: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
July 26: Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2
July 26: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26: Rocket League collector's édition
July 26: Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07D4RGMBT/ref=sr_1_110?m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1526603996&sr=1-110&refinements=p_6:AN1VRQENFRJN5,p_n_date:82827051
July 26: Makai Senki Disgaea Refine
July 26: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07D4NH6GW/ref=sr_1_112?m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1526603996&sr=1-112&refinements=p_6:AN1VRQENFRJN5,p_n_date:82827051
July 26: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party
July 26: Tennis World Tour

August 02: SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô
August 02: Code of Princess EX
August 02: Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
August 02: LEGO: The Incredibles
August 09: Okami HD
August 09: Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07D4JC3PH/ref=sr_1_115?m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1526603996&sr=1-115&refinements=p_6:AN1VRQENFRJN5,p_n_date:82827051
August 09: Darkest Dungeon
August 09: Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires Conspiracy DX
August 23: My Hero Academia: One's Justice
August 30: Psyvariar Delta
August 30: Little Dragons Cafe

September 06: Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
September 13: Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~

Switch physical games, Japan, Fall

October 25: Beyblade Burst: Battle Zero

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018
July 26: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
July 26: Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2
July 26: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26: Rocket League collector's édition
July 26: Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07D4RGMBT/ref=sr_1_110?m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1526603996&sr=1-110&refinements=p_6:AN1VRQENFRJN5,p_n_date:82827051
July 26: Makai Senki Disgaea Refine
July 26: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07D4NH6GW/ref=sr_1_112?m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1526603996&sr=1-112&refinements=p_6:AN1VRQENFRJN5,p_n_date:82827051
July 26: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party
July 26: Tennis World Tour

I'd find it kinda funny if everything here made the charts leading to nearly full switch domination. Surely Dragon Quest, Rocket League, Wolfenstein 2, Mega Man/Rockman X, and Disgaea will make it. Tennis World Tour might have a decent chance too, though Waku Waku Doubutsu Land, Daitoshokan, and Higurashi I'm not sure of.

It seems like all of summer is concentrating into July 26th.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I'd find it kinda funny if everything here made the charts leading to nearly full switch domination. Surely Dragon Quest, Rocket League, Wolfenstein 2, Mega Man/Rockman X, and Disgaea will make it. Tennis World Tour might have a decent chance too, though Waku Waku Doubutsu Land, Daitoshokan, and Higurashi I'm not sure of.

It seems like all of summer is concentrating into July 26th.

ESPN: 30 for 30

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017

If you have a friend that got jerked around by a previous partner, now is doing well, but is starting to try and get back with that person... I think it's fair to say "hey wait a minute, is this really a good idea?". Maybe not the best analogy but you get the gist of it..

I'm not sure I understand that analogy. Labo targets an entirely different audience from Nintendogs, Nintendo Land, and the NSMBU series. It's more like if you have a friend that got jerked around by a previous partner, now is doing well, and got into a relationship with someone entirely different, and you're trying to profess that any relationship that your friend is in that isn't your friendship with them is bad in the same way.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1,2 Switch is selling modestly but no where even in the same ball park as the Wii/DS era hits that Nintendo had. It had a big benefit in being the only other Nintendo published launch title that had any marketing behind it as well to inflate its numbers a bit IMO.

That's not really a great example of that audience being underserved, in Japan, ARMS has sold about the same and Kirby more than both.

Switch is a very different platform from Wii (and that's not a bad thing), Nintendo is just going to have to adjust certain things and trust in other approaches getting the job done. There more than one way to have a successful platform other than doing it the way the Wii or DS did. Quite frankly I think it's healthy that Nintendo be pushed a little anyway rather than relying on old formulas.

Last edited:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think 1-2 Switch's continued success shows the casual market on Switch is being underserved currently

Thats why Go Vacation is such good title to be released especially right now, those wii owners would have some nostalgia toward this charming title.

Also, 2.2 mil 12 Switch owner WW is going to be happy to buy Go Vacation there.

1,2 Switch is selling modestly but no where even in the same ball park as the Wii/DS era hits that Nintendo had. It had a big benefit in being the only other Nintendo published launch title that had any marketing behind it as well to inflate its numbers a bit IMO.

That's not really a great example of that audience being underserved, in Japan, ARMS has sold about the same and Kirby more than both.

Switch is a very different platform from Wii (and that's not a bad thing), Nintendo is just going to have to adjust certain things and trust in other approaches getting the job done. There more than one way to have a successful platform other than doing it the way the Wii or DS did. Quite frankly I think it's healthy that Nintendo be pushed a little anyway rather than relying on old formulas.

12 Switch is selling 2.2 million WW. That is a huge success especially for such simple game lol. And it is going to keep selling more the further we go in time as that is the nature of Ninty evergreen title.

And the talk that it benefit from being launch title is just false considering day in day out the legs for the title had not falter at all.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, its getting to 2 million sales and was a new IP that launch at the beginning of the console's life, it still proves there is a audience for these games, very much so.

Oct 27, 2017

Also keep in mind 1-2 Switch is a game with a more limited utility and use case than something like Brain Age or even Wii Sports. So it's still doing impressive in that regard.

ARMS is a New IP in a comparatively niche genre, while Kirby is a well known IP with continued success.

Nintendo can use the Switch however they want, and they should restrict its developers to only making one type of game or using it a certain way. I mean Tsubasa Sakaguchi, who co-created Splatoon, skipped the Sequel to create Nintendo Labo. Not because Nintendo told him to, but because he wanted to. Maybe Nintendo makes these casual type games not just because they sell well, but because they enjoy making them.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, its getting to 2 million sales and was a new IP that launch at the beginning of the console's life, it still proves there is a audience for these games, very much so.

I think that number is heavily inflated by being the only other launch title on Switch that had any marketing behind it, but none the less it's in line with things on the Wii U that I doubt people would claim were huge successes. Wii Party U sold like 1.4 million.

The fact is the market for these types of games is maybe 10-20% of what they used to be. It's not that big of an audience anymore. And Labo doesn't look like it's really breaking out in a big way either.

Nintendo isn't doing these projects to have little moderate success, they're still hoping for some large part of that Wii/DS audience to come back the same way they're not satisfied with their mobile profits. They're doing OK, but they're looking at that Pokemon Go $$$$$$$ and I think that burns them knowing that they only got a fraction of that cash cow and they want more than just Mario Run type success.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that number is heavily inflated by being the only other launch title on Switch that had any marketing behind it, but none the less it's in line with things on the Wii U that I doubt people would claim were huge successes. Wii Party U sold like 1.4 million.

On a console that nobody asked for, wanted, or even knew existed. 1-2 Switch already outsold it, and is likely going to do 5-10 million lifetime.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see, but it's already pulled 2 million in a year, and is still selling at a consistent rate.

I doubt there's a single other person who follows sales charts on this board that would agree that there's another 3-8 million left in 1,2 Switch's tank.

Popping up on the bottom of the Media Create charts during holidays when every Nintendo game gets a boost is one thing, selling multiple millions more copies is quite an enormous leap of logic to something else.

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt there's a single person on this board that would agree that there's another 3-8 million left in 1,2 Switch's tank.

Popping up on the bottom of the Media Create charts during holidays when every Nintendo game gets a boost is one thing, selling multiple millions more copies is quite an enormous leap of logic to something else.

If it pulled 2 million in just one year, anything is possible.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I am not sure how u can even compare 12 Switch success vs Wii Party U flop there.

Wii Party U even come with free wiimote to push for its title there and yet it still sold under 1.5 million.

This is compared with 12 Switch which after 1 full year still hold full price+increasing number of casual audience coming to Switch platform will guaranteed that it sales will remain steady. 3-4 mil is guaranteed if u ask me here and that for a new IP is already much much bigger than many other games.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I don't hate Labo, I swear.

I just think that Nintendo was dumb on putting the... kits... this soon on the Switch. Of course, it's nowhere near of the amounts of party-games for the Wii U that Nintendo put in the second year, but I can't stop to think that's something overpriced, with the wrong appeal over the wrong market, and taking the place from a nice game that could be come to fulfill the casual and core market, which is a possible Nintendoland Season 2.

I think that I just can judge the Labo without trying, so I think I'll pick one when I receive my paycheck.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there's a single other person who follows sales charts on this board that would agree that there's another 3-8 million left in 1,2 Switch's tank.

10 million seems quite high, but I don't think 5 million is impossible. If it continues to plug away at a steady rate, it could reach that by the end of the Switch's life.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The fact is the market for these types of games is maybe 10-20% of what they used to be. It's not that big of an audience anymore. And Labo doesn't look like it's really breaking out in a big way either.

Nintendo isn't doing these projects to have little moderate success, they're still hoping for some large part of that Wii/DS audience to come back the same way they're not satisfied with their mobile profits. They're doing OK, but they're looking at that Pokemon Go $$$$$$$ and I think that burns them knowing that they only got a fraction of that cash cow and they want more than just Mario Run type success.

If you bundled 1, 2 Switch with a pair of joycons I'm sure it could do Wii Play numbers too.

But again, like I said last time this discussion came up, stuff like Kirby only typically does 1-2m and those games are certainly more expensive than 1,2 Switch or Labo to produce. Should that get axed too? Is Yoshi getting axed? Bayonetta? Hyrule Warriors? Pikmin?

I dunno where you are getting these made up expectations from but apply it to everything that isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash Bros or Splatoon. What holds up to your scrutiny? The answer (because this isn't actually an argument) is nothing. You're dislike of Nintendo casual efforts has zero legitimacy beyond "dont make things that aren't for me".

Making different demographic products that sell 2m units more than justifies there existance whether they break out or not. It's about more than just raw sales numbers.

Oct 27, 2017

I just think that Nintendo was dumb on putting the... kits... this soon on the Switch. Of course, it's nowhere near of the amounts of party-games for the Wii U that Nintendo put in the second year, but I can't stop to think that's something overpriced, with the wrong appeal over the wrong market, and taking the place from a nice game that could be come to fulfill the casual and core market, which is a possible Nintendoland Season 2.

I think that I just can judge the Labo without trying, so I think I'll pick one when I receive my paycheck.

It's never too early to start branching out. I mean, 1-2 Switch was one of the very first games conceived for the Switch, so Nintendo has had universal casual appeal in mind for the Switch since its conception. It's just that they managed to set up a release strategy to get Nintendo fans and core gamers on board in the first year as well.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
"1-2 Switch has inflated sales"

Proceeds to talk about games that were bundled with their respective consoles

lol ok

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you bundled 1, 2 Switch with a pair of joycons I'm sure it could do Wii Play numbers too.

But again, like I said last time this discussion came up, stuff like Kirby only typically does 1-2m and those games are certainly more expensive than 1,2 Switch or Labo to produce. Should that get axed too? Is Yoshi getting axed? Bayonetta? Hyrule Warriors? Pikmin?

I dunno where you are getting these made up expectations from but apply it to everything that isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smasg Bros or Splatoon. What holds up to your scrutiny? The answer (because this isn't actually an argument) is nothing. You're dislike of Nintendo casual efforts has zero legitimacy beyond "dont make things that aren't for me".

If Nintendo wants to maintain the success they had last year and to grow IMO they need to lose the mind set of "yeah but this worked in 2005 ...".

It's over, Nintendo. You haven't had a new idea that's become a big casual hit in 10 years now (post Wii Fit). Not even really on mobile where all the casuals are have they had the type of break out hit they want by their own admission. Pokemon Go was made largely without them.

Doing the same "mini-games compilation but this time with a tablet controller! No? How about Joycons! No? How about cardboard?! Come on!" IMO is backwards thinking. Move on, move ahead. Splatoon and Breath of the Wild show the way forward, embrace modern gaming trends and make them your own and you will have success.

Looking backwards and I think they are going to get themselves into trouble. It's not about my personal tastes, which are eclectic to say that least, I'd rather have a new F-Zero or Advance Wars over a new Zelda or Smash Bros. any day, but I understand that's not the majority of the market either.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo land is a shitty party game. It's a great game in itself but no one boots up Nintendo land for some easy to play, low stakes silly fun. Its incredibly messy (all thr games use different controller set ups, half is single player which is crazy baffling, its quite hard) in what its trying to deliver. Its a fun game with people who will invest in all the hardware necessary but those are generally enthusiest gamers.

Dunno what people's belief is that it's something casual players want.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Labo is definitely not overpriced, but it is possible that it has limited appeal given the current Switch userbase and entry cost.

I like it for what it is, but it's definitely not the next wii sports. It's neat to build and tinker together, but not fun to play. It's hard to demo to friends because itsia one time thing. It's gonna be a slow burner.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I am not sure how u can said that it is dumb(???) For nintendo to be trying to branch out its platform owner especially after 12 Switch success? This second year had goes without any big title to satisfy the casual audience who had purchased 12 Switch. Pushing Labo is actually the correct move there.

Trying to revive NintendoLand which had flopped before on Wii U for me sounds even dumber there.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo wants to maintain the success they had last year and to grow IMO they need to lose the mind set of "yeah but this worked in 2005 ...".

It's over, Nintendo. You haven't had a new idea that's become a big casual hit in 10 years now (post Wii Fit). Not even really on mobile where all the casuals are have they had the type of break out hit they want by their own admission. Pokemon Go was made largely without them.

Doing the same "mini-games compilation but this time with a tablet controller! No? How about Joycons! No? How about cardboard?! Come on!" IMO is backwards thinking. Move on, move ahead. Splatoon and Breath of the Wild show the way forward, embrace modern gaming trends and make them your own and you will have success.

Looking backwards and I think they are going to get themselves into trouble. It's not about my personal tastes, which are eclectic to say that least, I'd rather have a new F-Zero or Advance Wars over a new Zelda or Smash Bros. any day, but I understand that's not the majority of the market either.
Why do you keep saying nintendo expects these games to become super mega franchises?
They arent gonna stop and they have been making games like these for aslong as they could, what do you think mario party is?

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Slim launch selection could explain it's early sales, but it is still selling. It's in the top 30 most weeks and there hasn't been an ad for it on TV or in stores for almost a year. It is selling because there is still a market for a game like this. I contend that if 1 2 Switch had been a more robust game it could be selling even better. It's a fun game but extremely shallow.