• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It is 2nd on the Top 30 Japan Eshop games despite not launching until another few weeks.
2975.jpg

Sounds like a positive sign for FE3H, then!

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think that Fire Emblem can set a new record for the serie like Mario Odyssey and Zelda BotW managed?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also been doing well on amazon japan.
I feel really good about this one, I dont know what exactly but it feels like this FE especially is in the perfect position to blow up, like I think 5 million is possible, which would put it in splatoon 1 and Luigi's mansion 2 territory, and therefore considered an AAA franchise

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I feel really good about this one, I dont know what exactly but it feels like this FE especially is in the perfect position to blow up, like I think 5 million is possible, which would put it in splatoon 1 and Luigi's mansion 2 territory, and therefore considered AAA
I think it will do good, even beating Fates worldwide, but it's going to "lose" sales by not having different versions. So I think 5 million is a bit out of reach.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
in Japan? No. Globally? Yep, it should have a really good chance.
If this doesn't become the best-selling FE game worldwide, then that's a major failure for the game. It has everything needed to succeed: a major marketing push, a simultaneous worldwide release, and it's looking great. This game should raise the sales level of FE, and I agree with foxuzamaki that this game could do 5M lifetime.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The best selling Fire Emblem in Japan is Mystery of the Emblem on the Super Famicom with 776 000 units sold/shipped.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't see a lot of hype for the new Fire Emblem. But That is mainly because I mostly talk about games with younger students and this isn't really their type of game. But I have some adult friends who are super-excited about things game but they are the type that buys every Fire Emblem game regardless of platform.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
If this doesn't become the best-selling FE game worldwide, then that's a major failure for the game. It has everything needed to succeed: a major marketing push, a simultaneous worldwide release, and it's looking great. This game should raise the sales level of FE, and I agree with foxuzamaki that this game could do 5M lifetime.

It's still a tRPG so appeal is limite by nature. I think ww the game has a good chance of going above 3m but in Japan I'm not so sure it'll be able to sell more than Fates.

Crazy that FE was almost a million seller in Japan alone, I guess its potential was always there

Back then sales were more concentrated on fewer games. DBZ shipped 1.2m on SNES, F-Zero 900k units, lol

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's still a tRPG so appeal is limite by nature. I think ww the game has a good chance of going above 3m but in Japan I'm not so sure it'll be able to sell more than Fates.

Back then sales were more concentrated on fewer games. DBZ shipped 1.2m on SNES, F-Zero 900k units, lol
We havent hit that limit yet

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

I hope it does great too. Got my pre-order in. But to put 5 million in context, that would make it not only the best selling Fire Emblem game in history (the highest WW sales are 2.85 million) but also the best selling TRPG in history buy a huge margin.

Even the classic Final Fantasy Tactics with it's IP pedigree and being regarded as one of the best of the genre only did 2.4 million.

The other big names in the genre: Shining Force, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Disgaea, Langrisser, Vandel Hearts, etc. never had a single game crack 1 million worldwide. It's a really, really niche genre.

Fire Emblem might be limited to how many people like Tactics RPGS.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it does great too. Got my pre-order in. But to put 5 million in context, that would make it not only the best selling Fire Emblem game in history (the highest WW sales are 2.85 million) but also the best selling TRPG in history buy a huge margin.

Even the classic Final Fantasy Tactics with it's IP pedigree and being regarded as one of the best of the genre only did 2.4 million.

The other big names in the genre: Shining Force, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Disgaea, Langrisser, Vandel Hearts, etc. never had a single game crack 1 million worldwide. It's a really, really niche genre.

You gotta dream big

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

It would also be one of the best selling jRPGs ever outside FF, Pokémon and KH.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Puzzle & Dragons GOLD just got announced for the Switch with a Winter release window.

Don't know what kind of pull the franchise has today but previous entries sold 1.5m and 300k on 3DS.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France

How many did Xcom and Xcom 2 woldwide ?

I would count them as Tactics RPG

(also Mario + Rabbids)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Well, FE Fates sold better than FFT, so the top level sales for strategy games is now Fire Emblem, not Final Fantasy Tactics. As such, becoming the biggest tactical RPG means "only" outselling its own franchise record. That record is Fates, which was significantly hindered by being a really late localisation imo. As such, the sheer fact that it is getting a day and date localisation should boost sales up from Fates, and I feel that 3 Houses is getting a lot more advertising than Fates, as well, which is both suggestive of higher expectations and conducive to better sales. Not to mention the game looks amazing and has a lot of content to keep people interested.

These are my reasons why I feel 3 Houses should become the best-selling Fire Emblem game of all time worldwide. 5M is the dream (and as such I am definitely not proclaiming that failing to sell 5M means it's a failure, just to be clear), of course, but not impossible one. It does require FE to move into the upper echelon of JRPGs, but for the reasons I mentioned, combined with the fact that Fates already brought FE very close to that echelon, I believe 3 Houses can do it.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Well, FE Fates sold better than FFT, so the top level sales for strategy games is now Fire Emblem, not Final Fantasy Tactics. As such, becoming the biggest tactical RPG means "only" outselling its own franchise record. That record is Fates, which was significantly hindered by being a really late localisation imo. As such, the sheer fact that it is getting a day and date localisation should boost sales up from Fates, and I feel that 3 Houses is getting a lot more advertising than Fates, as well, which is both suggestive of higher expectations and conducive to better sales. Not to mention the game looks amazing and has a lot of content to keep people interested.

These are my reasons why I feel 3 Houses should become the best-selling Fire Emblem game of all time worldwide. 5M is the dream (and as such I am definitely not proclaiming that failing to sell 5M means it's a failure, just to be clear), of course, but not impossible one. It does require FE to move into the upper echelon of JRPGs, but for the reasons I mentioned, combined with the fact that Fates already brought FE very close to that echelon, I believe 3 Houses can do it.

I can agree with this. And yes, as I wrote, Fates was the top selling game and the one to beat. Just keep in mind Fates also had 2 physical versions (and many fans like me bought both of them).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can agree with this. And yes, as I wrote, Fates was the top selling game and the one to beat. Just keep in mind Fates also had 2 physical versions (and many fans like me bought both of them).
I'm not sure the second version is that significant tbh, considering Awakening also sold 2.25M without a second version, and while being the game that saved the franchise after previously terrible sales. Additionally, in the US the second game was available as a download for half the price if you owned the other game, so that further diminishes the effect this would have had imo. It may have added a couple of 100k or so, but FE simply has a very high sales level regardless imo, and my argument is that 3 Houses will significantly build on that.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if there's going to be a Media Create White Book this year and if so, when it'll be available?

(Also, are we going to get it again?)

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Fates had mixed reception though, and Echoes didn't sell too well (i know it was late).
it is always hard for a JRPG to grow in the way you described to be honest, with the hype P5 generated you would think it will easily do 5m but it has yet to reach 3m copies.
5m copies is Final Fantasy level of success.
2-3m will be a big success for the game, anything beyond that is really very hard to guess
and 3 million won't be easy to reach, too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Fates had mixed reception though, and Echoes didn't sell too well (i know it was late).
it is always hard for a JRPG to grow in the way you described to be honest, with the hype P5 generated you would think it will easily do 5m but it has yet to reach 3m copies.
5m copies is Final Fantasy level of success.
2-3m will be a big success for the game, anything beyond that is really very hard to guess
and 3 million won't be easy to reach, too.
Well, FF level sales are actually a bit higher than that, I'd say. FFXV is already above 8M, for example.

I don't think FE Echoes is an important point to take into account for two reasons: firstly, it was clearly positioned as a remake and not a new mainline: in fact, it was announced alongside the "new mainline FE game" for Switch. Secondly, it released after the Switch released, in the period where all 3ds software sales plummeted.

The Fates reception question is interesting. The complaints I have read focus on two things: a terrible story, and sometimes poor map design. Those seem like things FE3H can solve and reassure people when reviews come out (assuming it does those things right, which is an assumption I make in this argument). In addition, Fates sales were actually somewhat leggy (it did 1.6M as of the end of 2017, well after release, and then legged all the way to 2.84M). So, I don't think Fates reception is going to be a huge impairment for FE3H.

Obviously we will have to wait and see how it does in the end, but I have high hopes for this entry.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Well, FF level sales are actually a bit higher than that, I'd say. FFXV is already above 8M, for example.

I don't think FE Echoes is an important point to take into account for two reasons: firstly, it was clearly positioned as a remake and not a new mainline: in fact, it was announced alongside the "new mainline FE game" for Switch. Secondly, it released after the Switch released, in the period where all 3ds software sales plummeted.

The Fates reception question is interesting. The complaints I have read focus on two things: a terrible story, and sometimes poor map design. Those seem like things FE3H can solve and reassure people when reviews come out (assuming it does those things right, which is an assumption I make in this argument). In addition, Fates sales were actually somewhat leggy (it did 1.6M as of the end of 2017, well after release, and then legged all the way to 2.84M). So, I don't think Fates reception is going to be a huge impairment for FE3H.

Obviously we will have to wait and see how it does in the end, but I have high hopes for this entry.
I hope so too. The FE community is excited and pumped about the game and the Switch should expose the series to new fans (especially in the West)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
GEO stores: Week 27, 2019 (1 Jul - 7 Jul)

01./01. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} (¥5.980)
02./00. [NSW] Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.07.04} (¥7.800)
03./00. [PS4] Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.07.04} (¥7.800)
04./02. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball <SPT> (Konami) {2019.06.27} (¥6.980)
05./03. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.06.20} (¥5.980)
06./00. [PS4] PixArk <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.500)
07./00. [NSW] PixArk <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.500)
08./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.07.02} (¥4.200)
09./09. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
10./08. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World [Best Price] <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.08.02} (¥4.990) -

Top 10

NSW - 6
PS4 - 4

"Super Mario Maker 2 ranked 1st for two weeks in a row. Number of sales is large at second week and is also a promising title for summer vacation period.
Switch and PS4 Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle ranked 2nd and 3rd. Both models are performing well as the third phase of the anime was broadcast until July 1, 2019."