• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Debates on RPGs became really fun and interesting after COD4 became one of the biggest games in world partially on the back off RPG like character progression.

The popularity of that one game alone made almost everything into an RPG.

Oct 25, 2017
The debates on what a JRPG is, even though it's a very diverse genre full of lots of different idea's, there's no set definition so people go into extremes on both sides.

People who think games like Tales and Ys that have been around for 3 decades aren't JRPGs because you don't select attack and magic from a menu, and on the other side people (who probably aren't even fans of the genre) claiming its literally just a name for games made in japan that have numbers that go up.

Drive by hyperbole that's not worth arguing about.
Got it. Yeah, people are weird about this. I just disengage from these discussions usually, there's nothing to be gained.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
The debates on what a JRPG is, even though it's a very diverse genre full of lots of different idea's, there's no set definition so people go into extremes on both sides.

People who think games like Tales and Ys that have been around for 3 decades aren't JRPGs because you don't select attack and magic from a menu, and on the other side people (who probably aren't even fans of the genre) claiming its literally just a name for games made in japan that have numbers that go up.

Drive by hyperbole that's not worth arguing about.
Tina Amini from IGN had an idea that games should be described as having genres like ingredients in a meal. You can have primary and secondary ingredients, and if you think about them that way it's way more flexible.

Ppl get real dogmatic/restrictive about JRPG classification though.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
When Switch was announced these were my predictions

-Would sell ok at $300 but wouldn't be anywhere near "Nintendo like profits"
-After a year or two they would come out with a $199 pokemon bundle and it would explode
-Handheld only sku and console only sku to reduce price (People were extremely angry at these predictions because "It's not a switch if it can't switch!"

Kind of funny that Nintendo is not only selling at historic levels at $300, but they're even increasing the price, absolutely insane. It's even more impressive when you take into account that Nintendo isn't taking advantage of weak competition, Playstation and Xbox are strong WW, PC is stronger than ever WW, Mobile continues to be a beast, we've got games like Fortnite that are kind of there own platforms in alot of ways.

People like video games.

I'm going to go out on a limb by saying Xbox will not sell north of 80 million units ever again. That gen they had a perfect storm of Nintendo all free form jazz and Sony's arrogance leading to unforced errors that took a while to correct.

Being the first out of the gate also meant a lot if exclusives. That will never happen again.

So they may be making more money than ever before (good for them I guess...) but they have certainly seen better days as a platform holder. Now their strategy is to buy up companies and get the Xbox logo on as many screens as possible even if they didn't build the hardware powering the screen.

We'll see how it works out for them.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I'm going to go out on a limb by saying Xbox will not sell north of 80 million units ever again. That gen they had a perfect storm of Nintendo all free form jazz and Sony's arrogance leading to unforced errors that took a while to correct.

Being the first out of the gate also meant a lot if exclusives. That will never happen again.

So they may be making more money than ever before (good for them I guess...) but they have certainly seen better days as a platform holder. Now their strategy is to buy up companies and get the Xbox logo on as many screens as possible even if they didn't build the hardware powering the screen.

We'll see how it works out for them.
We have to take into account RROD. I know people that had 4 to 5 different Xbox 360s. That sure counts as shipped and sold.

Dec 21, 2020
If you want asinine comments, there's been a recent rise that many games like Pokemon, Ys, dragon Quest, etc., and to an extent Witcher aren't RPGs because they don't fill a very small criteria, and it has been gaining small traction. It basically boiled down to "if it doesn't let you make a character and if it does not have any branching story elements, it is not an RPG"

Bigger nonsense than the JRPG stuff

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
the only real RPGs are those you have to act out in real life ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

that includes Ring Fit btw

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sure that 45% failure rate probably inflated the numbers a little, which probably also happened with PS2 (that thing was junk).
PS1 as well. Total garbage build quality and reliability, I had two of those die on me before my cute little PSOne.

Meanwhile my launch Saturn was a tank. It still works today.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was the first really reliable piece of Sony hardware. I guess Vita was before the PS4 as well. PSP's would break if you looked at them weird.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
It's interesting that the OLED announcement has hit the standard model significantly, but has had little effect of the Lite model's sales so far. It suggests that there's almost no overlap in demographics. Although, it's still early and we could just be seeing a more delayed response to the news.

I'm expecting Nintendo to announce another "casual" style game for this year. Based on were the gap is in their current line-up (end of Sept), it could be pretty big. A RingFit sequel might finally push Team2020 out of the bargaining stage.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that the OLED announcement has hit the standard model significantly, but has had little effect of the Lite model's sales so far. It suggests that there's almost no overlap in demographics. Although, it's still early and we could just be seeing a more delayed response to the news.

I'm expecting Nintendo to announce another "casual" style game for this year. Based on were the gap is in their current line-up (end of Sept), it could be pretty big. A RingFit sequel might finally push Team2020 out of the bargaining stage.

I'm not sure if hybrid sales have dropped because of the OLED announcement but it makes sense for the Lite to be more isolated when the price difference is so large. If you're buying a Lite you're already taking into account the compromises in exchange for the much lower price of entry.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was the first really reliable piece of Sony hardware. I guess Vita was before the PS4 as well. PSP's would break if you looked at them weird.
Back in highschool I asked a friend if I could borrow his psp to play final fantasy dissidia over the weekend. Iirc the thumbstick just straight up broke on me

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
If you want asinine comments, there's been a recent rise that many games like Pokemon, Ys, dragon Quest, etc., and to an extent Witcher aren't RPGs because they don't fill a very small criteria, and it has been gaining small traction. It basically boiled down to "if it doesn't let you make a character and if it does not have any branching story elements, it is not an RPG"

Bigger nonsense than the JRPG stuff
LOL that is far from new. There has been that kind of hollow sentiment around for decades. And it gets worse. In many more tabletop gaming-oriented places, you'll see the argument that it is impossible for literally any electronic game to be an RPG. Instead, only tabletop games run by a GM are real RPGs, and electronic games can only aspire to be "RPG simulators." Other lines of thinking say that only D&D-like tabletop RPGs are actually RPGs, and that other kinds of pen & paper games run by a GM with character sheets and dice are inferior "storygames."

Elitist opinions can get wild sometimes.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
We have to take into account RROD. I know people that had 4 to 5 different Xbox 360s. That sure counts as shipped and sold.

Sure that 45% failure rate probably inflated the numbers a little, which probably also happened with PS2 (that thing was junk).

PS1 as well. Total garbage build quality and reliability, I had two of those die on me before my cute little PSOne.

Meanwhile my launch Saturn was a tank. It still works today.

All these years later and people are still trying to pass off this same old argument. Feels like a time machine.

Besides the fact that MS replaced RROD consoles SW sales tell the full story. Either those consoles had the most incredible SW attach rates destroying everything else in the industry or this simply isn't as big of an issue as you're implying.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Ring Fit doesn't need a sequel, but I agree that the more casual audience is the place to get new Switch owners.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
All these years later and people are still trying to pass off this same old argument. Feels like a time machine.

Besides the fact that MS replaced RROD consoles SW sales tell the full story. Either those consoles had the most incredible SW attach rates destroying everything else in the industry or this simply isn't as big of an issue as you're implying.
Yeah 360 software sales were too high to suggest even a portion of people were buying multiple consoles. Were they also rebuying the games?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 29, 2021 (Jul 19 - Jul 25)

{2021.07.19}
[NSW] Henosis _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Odd Critter Games) (¥645)

[PS4] Eternal _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <RPG> (Asobimo) (¥0)
[PS4] Eternal _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (1)(+ Paid Stone 1000 + Ark Loa Double Profitable Set) <RPG> (Asobimo) (¥5.000)
[PS4] Eternal _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (2)(+ Paid Stone 3000 + Ark Loa 4 Times Profitable Set + PS Version Limited Avatar) <RPG> (Asobimo) (¥10.000)

[PS5] Eternal _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <RPG> (Asobimo) (¥0)
[PS5] Eternal _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (1)(+ Paid Stone 500 + Ark Loa Profitable Set) <RPG> (Asobimo) (¥3.000)
[PS5] Eternal _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (2)(+ Paid Stone 1000 + Ark Loa Double Profitable Set) <RPG> (Asobimo) (¥5.000)
[PS5] Eternal _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (3)(+ Paid Stone 3000 + Ark Loa 4 Times Profitable Set + PS Version Limited Avatar) <RPG> (Asobimo) (¥10.000)

{2021.07.20}
[NSW] Cris Tales _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Modus Games) (¥3.618)
[NSW] Knights and Bikes _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Foam Sword) (¥1.800)

[PS4] Cris Tales _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Modus Games) (¥3.600)
[PS4] Knights and Bikes _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Foam Sword) (¥1.800)
[PS4] Brotherhood United _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (EastAsiaSoft) (¥909)

[PS5] Cris Tales _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Modus Games) (¥3.600)

[XB1] Cris Tales _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Modus Games) (¥3.618)
[XB1] Death's Door _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Devolver Digital) (¥2.136)
[XB1] Knights and Bikes _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Foam Sword) (¥0)

[XBS] Cris Tales _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Modus Games) (¥3.618)
[XBS] Death's Door _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Devolver Digital) (¥2.136)
[XBS] Knights and Bikes _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Foam Sword) (¥0)

{2021.07.21}
[NSW] Sengoku Koihime: Otome Kenran Sengoku Emaki # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥7.590)
[NSW] Sengoku Koihime: Otome Kenran Sengoku Emaki (Gorgeous Departure Set) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥10.590)
[NSW] Sengoku Koihime: Otome Kenran Sengoku Emaki (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥7.300)
[NSW] Renai, Karichaimashita # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.980)
[NSW] Renai, Karichaimashita (Full Production Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥9.980)
[NSW] Renai, Karichaimashita (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.700)
[NSW] Oni Ama: Watashi ni Amaete, Onii-chan _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥2.700)
[NSW] Overcooked! All You Can Eat <Overcooked! \ Overcooked! 2> <ACT> (Pocket) (¥4.800)
[NSW] Fatal Twelve _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Prototype) (¥3.909)
[NSW] Alba: A Wildlife Adventure _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Sunsoft) (¥1.980)
[NSW] Dininho Space Adventure _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Game National) (¥1.818)
[NSW] Arcade Archives: Crime Fighters 2 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Hamster) (¥762)
[NSW] Dungeon Bricker _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Piotr Skalski) (¥482)
[NSW] Freddy Spaghetti 2 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Ratalaika Games) (¥455)
[NSW] G-Mode Archives 36: Beach Volley Girl Shizuku 3 - World Congress _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SPT> (G-Mode) (¥455)
[NSW] G-Mode Archives 37: Moe Suro Beach Drops _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <TBL> (G-Mode) (¥455)
[NSW] Pokemon Unite _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) (¥0)

[PS4] Sengoku Koihime: Otome Kenran Sengoku Emaki # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥7.590)
[PS4] Sengoku Koihime: Otome Kenran Sengoku Emaki (Gorgeous Departure Set) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥10.590)
[PS4] Sengoku Koihime: Otome Kenran Sengoku Emaki (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥7.300)
[PS4] Renai, Karichaimashita # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.980)
[PS4] Renai, Karichaimashita (Full Production Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥9.980)
[PS4] Renai, Karichaimashita (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.700)
[PS4] Oni Ama: Watashi ni Amaete, Onii-chan # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥2.980)
[PS4] Oni Ama: Watashi ni Amaete, Onii-chan (Premium Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.980)
[PS4] Oni Ama: Watashi ni Amaete, Onii-chan (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥2.700)
[PS4] Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Binary Haze Interactive) (¥2.480)
[PS4] Alba: A Wildlife Adventure _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Sunsoft) (¥1.980)
[PS4] Arcade Archives: Crime Fighters 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Hamster) (¥762)
[PS4] Freddy Spaghetti 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Ratalaika Games) (¥500)

[PS5] Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Binary Haze Interactive) (¥2.480)
[PS5] Alba: A Wildlife Adventure _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Sunsoft) (¥1.980)
[PS5] Freddy Spaghetti 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Ratalaika Games) (¥500)

{2021.07.22}
[NSW] Sweet Clown: Gozen Sanji no Okashi na Doukeshi <ADV> (Takuyo) (¥6.800)
[NSW] Sweet Clown: Gozen Sanji no Okashi na Doukeshi (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Takuyo) (¥5.800)
[NSW] Last Stop _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Annapurna Interactive) (¥2.455)

[PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 # <ACT> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 (Premium Edition) <ACT> (Aqua Plus) (¥10.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.000)

[PS5] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 # <ACT> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.800)
[PS5] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 (Premium Edition) <ACT> (Aqua Plus) (¥10.800)
[PS5] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Aqua Plus) (¥7.000)

{2021.07.23}
[PS4] Orcs Must Die! 3 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Robot Entertainment) (¥3.100)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation situation will hit hard many titles this year with Falcom being first in the list of companies that should start to worry.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But will they stop being so stubborn though?
going_down_with_the_ship.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation situation will hit hard many titles this year with Falcom being first in the list of companies that should start to worry.
I'm interested in if Vanillaware will stay PS-only. They and Atlus Playstation output side. Persona and Project RE: Fantasy are prime PS exclusive potential. Think Sega will push PC and Xbox instead though.

Oct 27, 2017
LOL that is far from new. There has been that kind of hollow sentiment around for decades. And it gets worse. In many more tabletop gaming-oriented places, you'll see the argument that it is impossible for literally any electronic game to be an RPG. Instead, only tabletop games run by a GM are real RPGs, and electronic games can only aspire to be "RPG simulators." Other lines of thinking say that only D&D-like tabletop RPGs are actually RPGs, and that other kinds of pen & paper games run by a GM with character sheets and dice are inferior "storygames."

Elitist opinions can get wild sometimes.
*Blinks*
I swear nerds get some weird power fantasy from feeling elite and that's why they do gatekeeping so much

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in if Vanillaware will stay PS-only. They and Atlus Playstation output side. Persona and Project RE: Fantasy are prime PS exclusive potential. Think Sega will push PC and Xbox instead though.
Studio Zero (Catherine: Full Body) and P-Studio (P5 Strikers, PQ series) are already producing Nintendo games. And ignoring Xbox.

Atlus doesn't take cues from Nagoshi.

Oct 25, 2017
Studio Zero (Catherine: Full Body) and P-Studio (P5 Strikers, PQ series) are already producing Nintendo games. And ignoring Xbox.

Atlus doesn't take cues from Nagoshi.
Would P5 Strikers choice of platforms be more of a Koei choice or Atlus? I remember that DQ Warriors was also another title featured on PC while the series at whole wasn't present at the time. Regarding PQ, it was the Persona game Atlus promised to Nintendo right?(Back in 2010/11 when Nintendo and Iwata were courting 3rd-parties to create games based on their most influential IPs for the 3DS). But you're right that Studio Zero and P-Studio would lean more towards Nintendo platforms than Xbox. Wouldn't take as granted given SEGA growing(At least from my outside perception) influence on Atlus.

Oct 25, 2017
Another softhouse which is heavily envolved with Playstation in Japan is CyGames. They probably don't care about PS decadence in JP, but they haven't been able to breakout in the west so far(Granted, they only released GranBlue Versus, which has limited appeal by being a fighting game based on a niche IP in the west).

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cygames and Nintendo are on such good terms that I'm surprised they are so adamant on their games being ps exclusive

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another softhouse which is heavily envolved with Playstation in Japan is CyGames. They probably don't care about PS decadence in JP, but they haven't been able to breakout in the west so far(Granted, they only released GranBlue Versus, which has limited appeal by being a fighting game based on a niche IP in the west).
Cygames aren't even looking at the homeland with Project Awakening. as for the other Granblue game, they'll have to hope for a breakout in the west as well

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Would P5 Strikers choice of platforms be more of a Koei choice or Atlus? I remember that DQ Warriors was also another title featured on PC while the series at whole wasn't present at the time. Regarding PQ, it was the Persona game Atlus promised to Nintendo right?(Back in 2010/11 when Nintendo and Iwata were courting 3rd-parties to create games based on their most influential IPs for the 3DS). But you're right that Studio Zero and P-Studio would lean more towards Nintendo platforms than Xbox. Wouldn't take as granted given SEGA growing(At least from my outside perception) influence on Atlus.
If P5S platforms were dictated by Koei it'd have probably also released on Xbox day and date. I also wouldn't handwave PQ as some switcheroo contract fulfillment, or else why bother to make PQ2?

If we look at Atlus production depts the past half decade:

1st Production (Team Maniax, Career Soft, SQ Project)
  • 12.26.15 (WU) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
  • 02.10.16 (3DS) Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
  • 08.04.16 (3DS) Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
  • 06.29.17 (3DS) Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
  • 08.31.17 (3DS) Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 (Spike Chunsoft)
  • 10.16.17 (WIN) Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue (Team Ladybug)
  • 10.26.17 (3DS) Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
  • 08.02.18 (3DS) Etrian Odyssey Nexus
  • 01.17.20 (NSW) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • 10.29.20 (NSW/PS4) Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster
  • 05.25.21 (WIN) Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster
  • 11.11.21 (NSW) Shin Megami Tensei V
2nd Production (P-Studio)
  • 01.14.16 (PS3/PS4/PSV) Odin Sphere Liefthrasir (Vanillaware)
  • 09.15.16 (PS3/PS4) Persona 5
  • 02.08.18 (PS4) Dragon's Crown Pro (Vanillaware)
  • 05.24.18 (PS4/PSV) Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight
  • 05.24.18 (PS4) Persona 4: Dancing All Night
  • 05.24.18 (PS4/PSV) Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight
  • 11.29.18 (3DS) Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth
  • 03.14.19 (PS4) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - Prologue (Vanillaware)
  • 10.31.19 (PS4) Persona 5 Royal
  • 11.28.19 (PS4) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Vanillaware)
  • 02.20.20 (NSW/PS4) Persona 5 Strikers (Omega Force)
  • 06.13.20 (WIN) Persona 4 Golden (Preapp Partners)
  • 02.23.21 (WIN) Persona 5 Strikers (Omega Force)
3rd Production (Studio Zero)
  • 02.14.19 (PS4/PSV) Catherine: Full Body
  • 07.02.20 (NSW) Catherine: Full Body
What we're seeing here in these last couple of transitional years seems very much like a move towards multiplatform and ports with the clear platform targets being Switch, PlayStation and PC/Steam, arguably in that order. This isn't really the sort of influence I'd expect from current Sega, although current Sega Japan is also a bit harder to pin down given their recent reorg and leadership changes. The bigger influence on Atlus in terms of platforms is probably Sega West and their successful campaign for PC support after they proved it's viability with Catherine Classic.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I can only guess that the mobile team and the console team are operated separately. (Not to mention the head of console team kind of don't want to talk about Nintendo for some reason?)
I don't think so, guys like kmr iirc are working on both main gbf and relink even though he is mostly mobile side

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine GTA 5 on switch, it would be a big system seller. It's crazy to see huge success of switch without gta 5.
Perhaps, it's a wild card for a near future. ( alongside switch pro ? )
Switch is more than capable of running GTA V. The reason the port never happened was/is GTA Online, which is a massive cash-cow and also massive in storage. GTA V is a game with literally zero value as a Single-player only for both consumers and for Rockstar/Take-Two. The staying power saleswise wasn't because of the Single-player story but because of the insane wom the online mode had. It is really shaping Rockstar future games too, as GTA VI is rumoured to be a Fortnite like game with changing seasons and whatnot.

Oct 25, 2017
What we're seeing here in these last couple of transitional years seems very much like a move towards multiplatform and ports with the clear platform targets being Switch, PlayStation and PC/Steam, arguably in that order. This isn't really the sort of influence I'd expect from current Sega, although current Sega Japan is also a bit harder to pin down given their recent reorg and leadership changes. The bigger influence on Atlus in terms of platforms is probably Sega West and their successful campaign for PC support after they proved it's viability with Catherine Classic.
I see. Thanks for the breakdown!

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
So does my Japanese launch PlayStation or my US launch PlayStation 2

I don't know how often you use them. But the laser on the PS2 is destined for malfunction. I know multiple people who had to buy a new one.

The theory is that demand fell last week because of the OLED announcement, the fact that the hybrid numbers stayed the same this week supports that.

If you look at these numbers you can see that the downwardtrend startet before the OLED announcement. It's because of slow season and availability of the Switch. Chris discussed the end of the shortage because of slow season and big shipments before the announcement.

There are always some spike weeks. But the drop from 72.951 to 69.283 seems not so big. It's only 3,6 k. This week Switch (Lite) dropped by 5 k on the back of weak Lite sales.

The Lite model is probably even more unattractive when the hybrid model is widely available.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how often you use them. But the laser on the PS2 is destined for malfunction. I know multiple people who had to buy a new one.

If you look at these numbers you can see that the downwardtrend startet before the OLED announcement. It's because of slow season and availability of the Switch. Chris discussed this before the announcement.

There are always some spike weeks. But the drop from 72.951 to 69.283 seems not so big. It's only 3,6 k. This week Switch (Lite) dropped by 5 k on the back of weak Lite sales.

The Lite model is probably even more unattractive when the hybrid model is widely availabel.
Daily for almost a decade and then I just went with the hdloader for most of my games. Makes life easier but I can play any disc game just fine (especially dual layers ones since they've always been fonky on the hdloader setup)