Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
If you already own a PS4 you.. don't? Those are marginal sales (upgrades). But if you are in the market for a PS4 then the 10k¥ more expensive one will factor into the decision.

People going to buy a PS5 without having owned a PS4 in its first year are going to be few and far between so Ryza and DQ11S aren't going to entice them to get one
Says who?
There's clearly a lot of people who upgraded from the base PS4. In fact everybody I know who owns a PS4 Pro had a PS4 prior.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
The thing there though is most people are going to wait for those future PS5 games, not buy it now to play games that are on both the PS4 and Switch.
Exactly. And the Playstation brand doesn't really have a ton of momentum in Japan at the moment. People will end up buying it to play the latest MHW or FF or DQ or other big system seller in Japan, but I don't think a lot of people are going to rush out to spend money on a PS5 when there aren't any games that appeal to that market right now. Okay, it can play PS4 games, but so can a PS4 at a much lower cost. And that market is already saturated I'd think. If you wanted a PS4 you have one by now. A PS5 isn't going to move the needle

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Says who?
There's clearly a lot of people who upgraded from the base PS4. In fact everybody I know who owns a PS4 Pro had a PS4 prior.

Even if you take that into account in Japan PS4 Pro has only 1.5m after three years which if anything proves the point that PS4 games will do very little to propel the PS5.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
As other posters already pointed out, who will buy a PS5 to play games they could play on PS4 and/or Switch? They won't do anything for the PS5 in Japan.
So are you saying that the PS5 will not sell its initial launch of in Japan? Why would playing PS4 games on a PS4 matter to those who purchased a PS5? They get access to all late gen PS4 games, helping Sony and 3rd parties advertise to a new audience while waiting for the first big next gen titles to arrive, which from the likes of Capcom in RE8, is happening a lot sooner than the transition from PS3 to PS4 in Japan.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I expect big Japanese 3rd parties to be quicker to transition this time around vs PS3 to PS4. That said, playstation systems have lost their mass appeal among the general and casual audiences and that is what gives software longer tails. So without a good amount of volume content and bigger system sellers there is no reason to assume PS5 will do better than PS4 in the start. Also we need to see the price.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
If you already own a PS4 you.. don't? Those are marginal sales (upgrades). But if you are in the market for a PS4 then the 10k¥ more expensive one will factor into the decision.

People going to buy a PS5 without having owned a PS4 in its first year are going to be few and far between so Ryza and DQ11S aren't going to entice them to get one

I mean while it will not be main reason in anyway to buy PS5 it makes it a bit easier that it also will run all PS4 games. Especially as japanese publishers are usually pretty slow at transitioning to new gen and PS4 has huge library of games. I mean for example PS3 still got decent amount of sizable releases after PS4 launched and you could play those only with PS3. I think 3DS had better final year in the market than Nintendo consoles traditionally because Switch didn't have BC to it (well also because of price difference).

Jul 21, 2020
People know future PS5 titles will not work on PS4.

And they will buy PS5 for the PS5 titles, not PS4 titles that released a year, or half a year, or more before.

Since you are supposedly Japanese based on post history, you surely know how Sony gamers consume their games in Japan and the prevalence of Book Off used sales for these people.

Doesn't cross gen game sell more on the newer console then the previous one?

Cross-gen games, as understood during the PS3 to PS4 transition, are not the same as BC games which DQ and Ryza will be when PS5 launches.

Your reference is PS2 games on PS3, or PS1 on PS2, which didn't really see much sales boost independent of the original system, even when PS3/PS2 has BC. Additionally, there has been no indication of long term system sellers on PS4, even the biggest game on PS4 ( MHW) had relatively short legs that will not be relevant in PS5 time.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Fairy Tail was just too late. The IP was popular, but this was years ago.

Good thing that Gust actually was proactively building an audience on Switch, as seen with the success with Atelier on the system, otherwise they would have been at a terrible state right now. Atelier Ryza 2 with its December 3rd Release Date is very well positioned to continue the success they had with the first one.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Even if you take that into account in Japan PS4 Pro has only 1.5m after three years which if anything proves the point that PS4 games will do very little to propel the PS5.
You asked why people would buy a PS5 to play PS4 games but whoever bought a PS4 Pro to play PS4 games, assuming they already owned a PS4, very well might be interested in the PS5 boost mode, so I'm just answering your question.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They weren't in a hurry last gen either. What makes you say the big players are looking to transition even slower?

I think it depends how much money Sony will pay to push them for ps5

The insider said ff16 was aimed cross gen but now next gen and will release before project athia

I'm sure they'll push demon slayer for ps5 as well even though that's a different department

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you guys even humouring that question? What was the last system in Japan to not sell its launch shipment? Its a disingenuous question. When has launch ever mattered?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When even the Wii U sold its initial launch shipment, you have to be desperate to think it's a sign of anything to sell the launch shipment.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You asked why people would buy a PS5 to play PS4 games but whoever bought a PS4 Pro to play PS4 games, assuming they already owned a PS4, very well might be interested in the PS5 boost mode, so I'm just answering your question.

I guess, but I meant more to a notable/significant extent.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends how much money Sony will pay to push them for ps5

The inside said ff16 was aimed cross gen but now next gen and will release before project athia
SE themselves said they aren't planning on releasing next gen exclusives anytime soon, so it's possible they announce the next FF relatively soon, but it's probably years off from releasing.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
They weren't in a hurry last gen either. What makes you say the big players are looking to transition even slower?
Speaking exclusively for the big Japanese third parties, the more active userbase of PS4 buying software comparing to PS3. What I meant is that they won't be faster not that they'll be even slower

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The only next gen exclusive 3rd party titles announced right now are Project Athia(TBA), Pragmata(2022), Ghostwire: Tokyo(2021), and Resident Evil Village(2021). Japanese devs aren't really in a rush.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
So the Wii U actually didn't have any droughts thanks to backwards compatibility.

Never knew.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
well, would you look at that
koei tecmo being smart, as per usual
for real tho, seems like an all around flop

That game released too late. What was good about the DS/PSP/3DS era was publishers could crank out a game during or shortly after the first season, when the excitement is fresh.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the Wii U actually didn't have any droughts thanks to backwards compatibility.

Never knew.

How many game released, after Wii u launched were BC

People here are discussing games which will be playable on ps5 releasing after ps5 launches

Game releasing next year like demon slayer will be pushed like cross gen games

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
The reality check will be quite brutal next generation. As of what is currently known and hinted at PS5 isn't doing anything special compared to PS4, therefore a turnaround of current trends in Japan are simply wishful thinking based on hopes and dreams. By that I mean over the whole upcoming generation and not that PS5 will sell at current end of life weekly PS4 sales. There is simply a limit to what 3rd Party IPs in decline can achieve, as seen with PS4 practically having the most important Japanese IPs on Board, even Dragon Quest and YoukaiWatch...
PS4 had an abysmal first couple years in Japan, so it won't be too apparent in the beginning to everyone, but the overall trend is further generational decline, that started with PS3.

Last edited:

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
The thing there though is most people are going to wait for those future PS5 games, not buy it now to play games that are on both the PS4 and Switch.
"most"?
Year, I'm not against you, but you know when a game on a hardware sells 1m in its first week the hardware sales is like 0.15m.
Some buy those at the same time.
Some buy the hardware a bit earlier.
Some buy the hardware just after the game announcement.
Some buy the hardware based on their arbitrary prediction.
If a person think he will buy PS5 sooner or later, new PS4 games make him easier to choose "sooner" and he could play games with newer console.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many game released after Wii u launched were BC

People here are discussing games which will be playable on ps5 releasing after ps5 launches

Point is, people won't buy very expensive consoles for PS4 games in Japan. Even more so when those games are available on the Switch, a platform everyone will own in Japan.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima was completely sold out. It sold what it was shipped. This week is starting to look better with the new stock. We'll see if it holds until the weekend.

Thanks. Shame that with Sony titles (and well pretty much all non-Nintendo titles) we don't know how many went with digital because of shortages. I would assume the digital split must be rather high.

Jul 21, 2020
How many game released after Wii u launched were BC

Every game launched on Wii before and after Wii U came.out is BC on Wii U. The Wii HW is literally included in the Wii U HW, much like PS1 BC with PS2 or DS BC with 3DS. I can't believe someone this uninformed is shitting up the thread.

Once again, a cross gen game is not the same as a BC game. A BC game can be played with better hardware with some perks but is still one SKU, while crossgen Games are literally two SKUs where the consumer makes a choice between platforms. The purchae choices are fundamentally different.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Fairy Tail was just too late. The IP was popular, but this was years ago.
Fairy Tail might unironically be a case of "The West will save it":

The manga has 72m units in print as of February 2020. Around 30m of that is from the rest of the world. That's about 40% of non-japanese sales. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the highest ratio RotW/Japan for a manga, ever.

The IP is still somewhat popular. Its final season was still airing last year. In France, the manga was the 3rd best-selling manga of 2019, despite not having a single new volume released, behind One Piece and My Hero Academia, and above Naruto (which didn't have a new volume either)

Thinking about it, "The West" might just be France.

metalmonstar

May 17, 2018
Animal Crossing is just insane. I thought 8 million predictions before it came out where pretty far out but that seems to be a done deal at this point. At retail the game could be well over 7 million at the end of the year. 6 million doesn't even seem that far off. Where does it stand on the best selling games in Japan list now retail and retail+digital?

Is it normal for games to be sold through lotteries? Seems like Ring Fit has been only attainable from lotteries for such a long time.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every game launched on Wii before and after Wii U came.out is BC on Wii U. The Wii HW is literally included in the Wii U HW, much like PS1 BC with PS2 or DS BC with 3DS. I can't believe someone this uninformed is shitting up the thread.

Once again, a cross gen game is not the same as a BC game. A BC game can be played with better hardware with some perks but is still one SKU, while crossgen Games are literally two SKUs where the consumer makes a choice between platforms. The purchae choices are fundamentally different.

Geez maybe try understanding what I'm trying to say ?

There are decent game left on ps4 next year which will be playable on ps5.

Maybe instead of using BC , they might release an sku for communication purpose

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
"most"?
Year, I'm not against you, but you know when a game on a hardware sells 1m in its first week the hardware sales is like 0.15m.
Some buy those at the same time.
Some buy the hardware a bit earlier.
Some buy the hardware just after the game announcement.
Some buy the hardware based on their arbitrary prediction.
If a person think he will buy PS5 sooner or later, new PS4 games make him easier to choose "sooner" and he could play games with newer console.
The average person isn't going to be an early adopter, which is why I said "most".

The two games mentioned by the person who started this argument were Ryza 2 and DQXIS. Ryza 1 sold 70k on PS4 and this is the 4th SKU of DQXI, including one already on the PS4. Neither of those games are moving hardware.