PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
How many units Splatoon 2 and Pokémon shipped?? (Japan)
Pokémon and Splatoon respectively need to ship another 150k and 420k units worldwide this fiscal year for us to get updated domestic shipments data. Sword/Shield will obviously make it by the next earnings release, Splat might wait until Christmas' though.
Whats the ceiling for RFA Sales in Japan?
3 mil?
Ceiling is mostly unknown, it could potentially go higher than that and reach base Wii Fit level (3.6m). Hard to know, what's certain is that it won't stay below 2m for too long.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Pokémon and Splatoon respectively need to ship another 150k and 420k units worldwide this fiscal year for us to get updated domestic shipments data. Sword/Shield will obviously make it by the next earnings release, Splat might wait until Christmas' though.

Ceiling is mostly unknown, it could potentially go higher than that and reach base Wii Fit level (3.6m). Hard to know, what's certain is that it won't stay below 2m for too long.

Thanks

Whats the ceiling for RFA Sales in Japan?
3 mil?

More like the floor xD

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the only thing of any importance for the PS5 planned for this holiday Spider-Man: Miles Morales? Like, any game that would move systems, be it third party or not. Not even CoD seems to be a guarantee this year.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 line up for the rest of the year that differentiates it from Switch is basically western games, when it comes to Japanese games Switch is stronger.

There's nothing coming from PS4 that can help PS5.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
VC4 sold over 1 million units. I don't think the same is true for Sakura Wars.
166k retail for Shin Sakura Wars on PS4 in Japan.

70k retail for VC4 on PS4 in Japan. 5k retail for VC4 on Switch in Japan.

So, pretty damn big improvement for that team in terms of Japanese sales, which is what this thread is all about.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

So, pretty damn big improvement for that team in terms of Japanese sales, which is what this thread is all about.
I was mostly referring to the lack of a PC version, but OK

You think going from PS4/Switch/Xbox/PC to PS4 only isn't weird because of like 90k sales in Japan?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I was mostly referring to the lack of a PC version, but OK

You think going from PS4/Switch/Xbox/PC to PS4 only isn't weird because of like 90k sales in Japan?
If this wasn't the Japanese sales thread then I would agree with you. I'm hoping Shin Sakura Wars comes to PC soon myself.

But anyone who thinks of Sakura Wars as a bomb in Japan is not very bright. There is a difference between underperforming and bombing in sales. VC4 bombed hard in Japan. The same team then released something that more than doubled VC4's sales in Japan, though it still underperformed per SEGA.

Oct 25, 2017

That would be chalked up to the IP more than anything. Sega considering it underperforming despite selling better than VC4 is not lost on me.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Sakura Wars did way better in Japan than VC4 did, hence in terms of Japanese sales it was a better use of that team. The same dev team made VC4 and Shin Sakura Wars if you didn't know. That may be the source of your confusion.

Ok. But given the marketing push..wasn't that expected? Again, what is your point?

EDIT- Or are you trying to argue a Switch version would not have been beneficial?

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura Wars did way better in Japan than VC4 did, hence in terms of Japanese sales it was a better use of that team. The same dev team made VC4 and Shin Sakura Wars if you didn't know. That may be the source of your confusion.
They're asking what the point of that is in regards to Sega deciding to scale back from console multiplatform to just PS4/PC.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Both VC4 and SW were bombs in Japan. One bombing a little worse doesn't mean much.
I would have thought with them going PS4 only they had some kind of big push in the West. Instead they just...dropped it there and called it a day. The anime came and went without any noticeable boost in sales. Somehow it became a media project bomb and I'm wondering what exactly their plan was.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought with them going PS4 only they had some kind of big push in the West. Instead they just...dropped it there and called it a day. The anime came and went without any noticeable boost in sales. Somehow it became a media project bomb and I'm wondering what exactly there plan was.
The game didn't have a dub, so I'm not sure what happened there unless they just didn't have confidence that it would be worth doing.

The anime was also weird because it was a sequel to the game.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Fairy Tale was a missed shot. Came out like 2-3 years too late to make a big splash. Will be curious to see if it preforms better in the west.

Joxer

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely engage with hot takes and trolls anymore, comparing to NeoGAF I have become very kind. There is no point derailing the threads with pointless internet fights.

Yeah, I'm aware of the silliness that has gone on in these threads over the years.

It's just funny/pathetic that a handful of posters are so offended because you're relaying facts. It's like a Nintendo/Microsoft fanperson going into an Eastern European sales thread and trying their hardest to distort the reality of a Playstation-dominated market by making petty and baseless digs at the guy posting the numbers.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What was Sakura suppose to sell on PS4? I always was unsure why people were calling it a bomb.

Are you talking hypothetically or realistically?

Because I assume it was meant to notably outperform the game that put the series on ice for over a decade.

I definitely think expectations were higher, even from Sega themselves but realistically it probably did all it was going to.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I'm aware of the silliness that has gone on in these threads over the years.

It's just funny/pathetic that a handful of posters are so offended because you're relaying facts. It's like a Nintendo/Microsoft fanperson going into an Eastern European sales thread and trying their hardest to distort the reality of a Playstation-dominated market by making petty and baseless digs at the guy posting the numbers.

I would add that Chris did not mince words during the Wii U era.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
4ee4967d993b409f803292f56115fcfa.jpg

Deciding to wear an outfit like that...

...that's quite a Kermittment

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If it wasn't supposed to sell on PS4 you don't limit its userbase. Nagoshi at its interviews made it sound like a big deal.

So like in actual units, is that 300k? 400k? This is a genuine question, I have no idea besides hearing the game super bombed/sorta under performed.

Are you talking hypothetically or realistically?

Because I assume it was meant to notably outperform the game that put the series on ice for over a decade.

I definitely think expectations were higher, even from Sega themselves but realistically it probably did all it was going to.

I'm talking as someone who genuinely doesn't know what success was suppose to be for the game. Not saying it underperformed or met expectations, I'm asking how did people decide what success for it looked like?

So what you said makes sense. It didn't outperform the last entry that iced it. That's problematic.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The plan with Sakura Wars was always a weird one.

The franchise was only ever truly popular in the late 90's on the Saturn. It did not make waves at all on PS2 or Wii. The most relevant it has been in the past ten years was a major cameo in the two Project X Zone games.

The new one doesn't launch with the anime to lead it in, instead having it come out with enough room for the game to flop around.

Honestly, it being PS4 only is the least baffling part of it. Sony probably just helped fund some of it somewhere in the production chain of the game/anime/or both. The real head scratcher is why it was ever made in the first place.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So like in actual units, is that 300k? 400k? This is a genuine question, I have no idea besides hearing the game super bombed/sorta under performed.

I'm talking as someone who genuinely doesn't know what success was suppose to be for the game. Not saying it underperformed or met expectations, I'm asking how did people decide what success for it looked like?

So what you said makes sense. It didn't outperform the last entry that iced it. That's problematic.
going by Game Data library, the last game (the one that put the series on ice) did 145K, while Shin Sakura Wars did 166K+whatever digital is. the game also didn't perform too hot in the west

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

This has the chart of the Sakura War games first weeks when this latest one debuted. Looking further at Gamedatalibrary life times, 2 did 500k, 1 and 3 did above 300k, and 4 did above 250k

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It did but probably not to the extent they were hoping, especially considering they got Tite Kubo as the artist.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
From what I remember from NPD and PAL threads it barely charted at some countries.
going by Game Data library, the last game (the one that put the series on ice) did 145K, while Shin Sakura Wars did 166K+whatever digital is. the game also didn't perform too hot in the west

So a bad performance in the West plus an underwhelming Japanese showing it seems. Assumption is probably that the series is again on ice?

This has the chart of the Sakura War games first weeks when this latest one debuted. Looking further at Gamedatalibrary life times, 2 did 500k, 1 and 3 did above 300k, and 4 did above 250k

Okay, that's helpful. Thanks for the context. It's good to see it listed out.

It did but probably not to the extent they were hoping, especially considering they got Tite Kubo as the artist.

I assume that's an expensive artist?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
VC4 is irrelevant. It being a worse bomb didn't mean SW isn't one.
The performance of the game that the dev made immediately before the one in question is not irrelevant whatsoever. Do you actually have any iota of a salient argument?

It surpassed the 5th game of the series. It brought back an IP that was dead for 15 years.

Did it underperform per SEGA? Yes. We are in agreement there.

Put up an argument for why it "bombed" in Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The performance of the game that the dev made immediately before the one in question is not irrelevant whatsoever. Do you actually have any iota of a salient argument?

It surpassed the 5th game of the series. It brought back an IP that was dead for 15 years.

Did it underperform per SEGA? Yes. We are in agreement there.

Put up an argument for why it "bombed" in Japan.
ST is a far bigger IP than VC, at it's height selling over twice as much as VC's height. Both are bombs that basically scaled accordingly to that but are still relative bombs.

SW barely outselling ST5, to end up the 2nd worst selling game in the entire main series, isn't some measure of success either. Your crusade to reframe the performance here isn't fooling anyone but next time at least try not to insult other posters in the process.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
PS4 line up for the rest of the year that differentiates it from Switch is basically western games, when it comes to Japanese games Switch is stronger.

There's nothing coming from PS4 that can help PS5.

This year no. But 2021 is likely going to have Elden Ring and Tales. Probably in the early part of the year since that's been the trend for big Japanese games for the last few years.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
ST is a far bigger IP than VC, at it's height selling over twice as much as VC's height. Both are bombs that basically scaled accordingly to that but are still relative bombs.

SW barely outselling ST5,
200k+ vs 150k is not barely. That's selling over 25% more. With a 20% digital split it's closer to Sakura Taisen 4 in sales than Sakura Taisen 5.

Your use of "barely" is amusing to me.

Sakura Taisen was the far bigger IP 20 years ago on the Saturn/Dreamcast. Valkyria Chronicles was the far bigger IP in the last decade with 5 games released on PS3/PSP/PS4/Switch

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
200k+ vs 150k is not barely. That's selling over 25% more. With a 20% digital split it's closer to Sakura Taisen 4 in sales than Sakura Taisen 5.

Your use of "barely" is amusing to me.

Sakura Taisen was the far bigger IP 20 years ago on the Saturn/Dreamcast. Valkyria Chronicles was the far bigger IP in the last decade with 5 games released on PS3/PSP/PS4/Switch
VC was the only IP in the last decade, but only with new 3 games (all under 200k) and none on PS3. ST is by a wide margin the bigger IP period though, and no even with 20% digital rate SW (166k packaged) sold closer to ST5 (145k) than ST4 (277k). Perhaps you think SW isn't a bomb because you don't actually know how these titles each sold.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Look what we have here, too bad they merged the treads. The comments are funny as hell

Hello Everybody, so my name is... oh wait your not here for that! Your here to tell me how ridiculously wrong I am, so post away! But first....

BOLD PREDICTION: Animal Crossing New Horizons will sell 12mil Lifetime in Japan!!! O.o

First of all yes that means beating the almighty Pokémon RB that sold just over 8.2mil copies. Yes the last highest selling game was AC New Leaf which is above 5.79mil in Japan (2012 release). I understand I'm asking for twice as much sales compared to New Leaf and 50% more than Pokémon RB... but it wouldn't be BOLD without it :)

Let's start off with how it'll become a 12mil seller, I expect NSW to keep selling for years and sell over 28mil as of this post, which would mean between 40-45% attach ratio as an estimate.

It's currently at 3611k with retail after 5 weeks. Demand isn't slowing down and most people are pinning it between Pokémon RB and GS in sales (7.2mil-8.2mil Lifetime). But I believe it'll continue to sell throughout this whole year and surpass both games by years end to start. Next week NH should surpass NL First 4 quarter sales which is shown below! Here is my prediction....

Sell thru famitsu

ACNL
Q1 2287k (8weeks and Holiday)
Q2 1053k
Q3 323k
Q4 161k
Y1 3823k

ACNH
Q1 2608k (2weeks)
Q2 1003k (3weeks so far)
Y1 3611k

Tbone5189 prediction ACNH (shipment+Digital)
Q1 4200k
Q2 2800k (yes I'm serious)
Q3 500k
Q4 800k
Y1 8300k (surpassing Pokémon RG)

Lastly I think this game was the fastest selling game in its first 5 weeks...

Pokemon Black/White

2.557.779 / NEW
828.580 / 3.386.358
374.589 / 3.761.217
231.638 / 3.992.855
168.541 / 4.161.397

And that's all folks! What do y'all think? Anybody on board for team 12mil o.O

let me know your thoughts... thank you for the read fellow members :)

READ BELOW ONLY FOR A BREAKDOWN

Bonus breakdown for Y1 sales...

Q1: sales were slightly above 2.6mil in retail. 3rd week although counting towards Q2 in sales had to have ship in Q1 (before Mar 31st) which had sold above 400k. That would put shipments roughly 3mil. We know digital sales are huge but how much? Some people say roughly 40% but let's go lower and put it just under 30% which is huge. 1.2mil digital (PokemonSS did above 700k w1) 4.2mil estimate total.

Q2: week 14-26 (13 weeks) and week 14 shipments will be added to Q1 so let's make it 12 weeks. 4th week and 5th week combine are roughly 580k. All these will have been shipments, we are expecting another good week (W16) so let's lowball and put it at 125k lol. GW will be big with HW being stocked for at least W17 and W18. AC will sell on avg most likely way above 600k, I'll go with 700k. Putting retail sales above 1400k. 8 weeks left and Hardware will still be dire but AC will hold and sell imo on avg weekly for the remainder of this quarter let's say.... 80k (again lol). That would end the quarter with 2000k sell thru (minus W14) and there will be some on store shelves. Let's say 200k as that would be plausible imo. With digital sales being lower percentage I'll put it at 20% I believe in the 2800k for the quarter. Totaling lifetime ship+digital above 7mil or roughly around it.

Q3: this will be the slower quarter but will still track good sales and do 500k (between retail and digital)

Q4: will have holiday and will be boosted further to roughly800k.

Year sales above Pokémon RB :)

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
VC was the only IP in the last decade, but only with new 3 games (all under 200k) and none on PS3. ST is by a wide margin the bigger IP period though, and no even with 20% digital rate SW (166k packaged) sold closer to ST5 (145k) than ST4 (277k). Perhaps you think SW isn't a bomb because you don't actually know how these titles each sold.
Game Data Library shows Sakura Taisen 4 sales at 257k. As far as I can tell there's only one SKU for it as no reprint or budget rerelease is listed. What listing(s) for ST4 do you see selling 20k to add to 277k total?