• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo invests so big at Metroid because they see potential, it is treated as a major title and they will expect sales proper for the genre and Metroid Prime series.

So around 3 Million?

How much did they expect for ARMS? We know it ended getting more support than originally intended. Plus, Yabuki is still enthusiastic about it. And I believe Imran told us to not discard a potential sequel.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
The "console doesn't help Metroid" thing has always been a strange argument.

SNES, GBA and Wii all sold incredibly, but Metroid never really broke 2 Million in any of those.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Because it didnt grow on Wii, when the other critic darlings(zelda, mario, mario kart) did so immensly.
I think Metroid peaked with Prime 1, and most of the "interest" shown nowadays on the internet is nostalgia from a very loud and very vocal group of fans, many of which are in the gaming media, causing the franchise to get a disproportional amount of attention.
Its also a very NA focussed franchise, with a prominent NA studio behind the Prime series, so the NA focussed Gaming media, and NA focussed internet forum people forming a perfect echo chamber convincing themselves in a circle.
Franchises with a mainstream appeal did grow, it is true.

However (hard)core franchises like Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem declined. Both were sequels to Gamecube games that a large portion of the Wii userbase didn't play.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
So around 3 Million?

How much did they expect for ARMS? We know it ended getting more support than originally intended. Plus, Yabuki is still enthusiastic about it. And I believe Imran told us to not discard a potential sequel.
What we know for Arms is that a major development team was behind it, it got hig push from Nintendo and ended being one of the lowest selling first party titles with tiny legs.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Metroid strives more to the realistic look (unlike the usual cartoony Ninty game), so it could end up unfavorably compared to other next gen games.

It wasn't a problem back in the GC days when Nintendo had comparable power to the competition.

But I sorta agree that it isn't as important as releasing MP4 before the Switch starts losing steam somewhere in late 2021 or early 2022. Depending on how well next gen does, Nintendo might want to push a Switch successor faster. May even pull a BotW with MP4 if development doesn't go as planned.

It would also end up unfavorably against current gen so that is moot really :p. I dont think it matters to be honest.. timing, promotion and Most importantly ofc a great product is more important factors.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
What we know for Arms is that a major development team was behind it, it got hig push from Nintendo and ended being one of the lowest selling first party titles with tiny legs.

It sold according to its genre expectations though, as you stated. SF and Tekken aren't that above it in sales, despite being pushed even harder by their companies.

In any case, there's no proof whatsoever Nintendo was disappointed by it, especially going by Yabuki's interviews and the prolonged support. It's just that we keep bringing up Splatoon and the MK team for no reason, as if they're not allowed to make less than 10 Million-selling successes.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to see how YS IX will perform.

It launches September 26th alongside many games, we'll see how hard the transition to PS4 only will be for NF.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It sold according to its genre expectations though, as you stated. SF and Tekken aren't that above it in sales, despite being pushed even harder by their companies.

In any case, there's no proof whatsoever Nintendo was disappointed by it, especially going by Yabuki's interviews and the prolonged support. It's just that we keep bringing up Splatoon and the MK team for no reason.
What makes Tekken and Street Fighter genre standards and not Dragon Ball and Mortal Kombat. A simple port of Pokken from Wii U sold similar to Arms on Switch.

Splatoon and Mario Kart team keep mentioned for a reason. One found success at a failed console and showed its real potential on Switch. The other didn't find a similar audience at the same successful system with no guarantee a potential sequel will do something drastic different at sales.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
3D Metroid fills an important void in Nintendo's oeuvre. A high-quality one on Switch in this era will be a big deal*.

*Except in Japan.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I think that we live in the right time for Metroid Prime 4. People now love souls games and metroidvania. It just needs to be good and have the right marketing.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It always impresses me how Metroid fans can spin its lackluster sales as being the fault of everything under the sun, besides the notion that the franchise isn't as popular as the enthusiast bubble thinks it is.
Its always the console it is being released on that hinders the games, never the games themselves.
Im pretty sure once Prime 4 releases and does not reach that sales high some are predicting, its gonna be because switch is getting on in its age or something.

what are you guys talking for high sales anyway?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

In any case, there's no proof whatsoever Nintendo was disappointed by it, especially going by Yabuki's interviews and the prolonged support. It's just that we keep bringing up Splatoon and the MK team for no reason, as if they're not allowed to make less than 10 Million-selling successes.

Yeah I have to agree with Chris here. Why are you pointing to Tekken and SF? There is DBFZ and Xenoverse, there is Super Smash Brothers, there is Mortal Kombat, there is Injustice which all sold way the fuck above 2m copies. Instead of ARMs that team could have made something else more successful. Lets say they were fine with ARMs sales. Is there any reason to think in a more competitive environment next year ARMs 2 breaks out? I don't think so. Not only was it a mild success, I don't see any room for growth either.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah I have to agree with Chris here. Why are you pointing to Tekken and SF? There is DBFZ and Xenoverse, there is Super Smash Brothers, there is Mortal Kombat, there is Injustice which all sold way the fuck above 2m copies. Instead of ARMs that team could have made something else more successful. Lets say they were fine with ARMs sales. Is there any reason to think in a more competitive environment next year ARMs 2 breaks out? I don't think so. Not only was it a mild success, I don't see any room for growth either.

More characteres, more story, more modes, more mechanics...

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are pointing towards to tekken and such because its a 3D fighter which can attract a different audience entirely. It's also still a new IP so its not like people are expecting it to instantly dethrone tekken or soul calibur

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

There's that stupid shit again.

"Fuck you 2D Mario team. Go make a new 2D Mario instead of Pikmin 4 you bastards."

"Look at those Wii numberrrrrssssss..."

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Arms main problem is that its mechanics and gameplay didn't find appeal at a bigger audience. You can add as many characters and stories you want, not many things will change at sales if the core of the game remains the same.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
So nothing that can drive new audience in.

Actually, a decent story mode could be key, since you would be attracting the group that's not there just for multiplayer. Many say it's the reason Injustice and MK are doing so well.

Heck. Splatoon got praised for its story mode and it's likely to have helped the game's perception.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

"Fuck you 2D Mario team. Go make a new 2D Mario instead of Pikmin 4 you bastards."

The worst part is that we should discuss the lost sales potential in Metroid Prime 4 with respect to a new Donkey Kong Country, an IP without doubt more successful.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Arms main problem is that its mechanics and gameplay didn't find appeal at a bigger audience. You can add as many characters and stories you want, not many things will change at sales if the core of the game remains the same.

Good thing Nintendo is known for working on tweaking gameplay before everything.

Meaty single-player content would help too.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

If it was my money, I wouldn't waste it giving more budget to an ARMS sequel compared to suggesting they simply try another new IP in a different genre or work on an established IP. If the 2D Mario team is making Pikmin 4 instead of a new 2D Mario, it's because there are expectations for Pikmin 4 to sell a fuck ton of copies. Opportunity cost is a thing, not everything is just "I wanna I wanna I wanna".

Or you think the games are funded out of dreams an fairy dust?

Well, I think the same thing about Metroid Prime and "but now is HD, not like Wii" that's why this discussion.

We'll have to see what MP4 is before we can tell. Minimally though, I think the series has more potential on something like the Switch which sells a fuck ton more software than the Gamecube. For ARMS, it literally launched during the first year of the Switch where everything had enormous sales and it had weak legs for a Nintendo big production.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
They spent more time talking about PS4 on a Switch event, that counts in my book.
Did they? Honestly wondering. According to Gematsu, the Switch "adult masterpiece" was a 1 hour and 5 minute segment of a 6 hour and 45 minute long event in total. What PS4 stuff did they talk about during the Switch segment?

If they had delisted DMC2, I think everyone would have come out of the panel happier.
Less is more? :P

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Seeing most of the reviews out there I think this opinion is very subjective. Almost all agree that the core gameplay is very fun but the game had very little content.

If we look for a pattern in Xenoverse, Smash Bros, Injustice and Mortal Kombat is the single player content.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
If it was my money, I wouldn't waste it giving more budget to an ARMS sequel compared to suggesting they simply try another new IP in a different genre or work on an established IP. If the 2D Mario team is making Pikmin 4 instead of a new 2D Mario, it's because there are expectations for Pikmin 4 to sell a fuck ton of copies. Opportunity cost is a thing, not everything is just "I wanna I wanna I wanna".

Or you think the games are funded out of dreams an fairy dust?

I mean, that team went from NSMBWii/2/U to Pikmin 3.

Pikmin barely gets over the one million mark, yet it does well-enough to get spin-offs on 3DS and everything (with 4 yet to come). And I wouldn't say they are low-budget games either.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Pokken 2 has similar if not bigger sales potential than Arms 2, outsourced and much cheaper. Why not invest in that when there's already Smash out there and fighting genre is covered.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I dont think anyone denied that both second hand and digital would be bigger on PS4. Its a more mature system. I think you were getting flak for calling used legs (because its not, its the complete opposite of legs) and quoting a digital ratio without proof.
It was obvious from the context I meant that retail legs are cut off by used sales and digital sales. If you understood differently than it's because you didn't really want to understand anyway. Also I gave proof and examples of digital ratio after my post. And I never said that 30-40% is the average. I said it was common and gave examples. And digital ratio increasing of 5% on average a year is still true (4.6% to be exact) but it appears that in Japan it's following a different yearly pattern which I can't explain at all. But what matters is that from 2017 to 2018 the ratio increased of 4% and indicates that retail sales are becoming increasingly irrelevant as times go by and that's really the only point I was making.