• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For the record it never once affected my moderation decisions. People might expect mods to be robots but nope, sorry to disappoint. Off-duty we talk shit sometimes. Shocking, gasp!
Meanwhile members get permabanned if they talk shit "off duty." Always great to have two sets of rules. Also simply not buying that this didn't affect your decisions.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Discord discussion on topics that you are too scared to comment on in a thread is some childish shit tbh.

And then when you are exposed you come in here like "oh stop witchhunting?"

Fuck outta here lmao. Yall and your discord aint shit.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Are the mods in question going to be truly punished or are they going to just switch to their shared snormy account?

9Eg10Gd.gif

They won't even have to go through the trouble as not a one will be banned, unlike the people that had the audacity to challenge them.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Add me to the club too.

I'd also like to know the twitter handles of banned regulars, if that's fine to pass along? Mine is @GoldMetalSonic in case anything happens to me.

Honestly, I'd love to form a SalesERA successor myself but I don't really know Japanese (hence I can't natively read JP-sourced stuff) and don't have the insight and tools that Chris has. If anything, Chris is the one deserving to form his own forum successor or where ever and I'd immediately follow.

I can certainly make the new weekly threads (I've made a few over the years) but again that'd take time since I'd have to copy and paste references and such. Maybe ZSaberLink or hiska-kun can take over in the mean time?

Don't expect me to do it, or post any graphs here.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
screengrabbing this was prectitable and honestly, pathetic. you people are just proving CVX and Morrigan's point that you can't handle something and literally started a witch hunt.

with this attitude of mobhunting anyone who isn't pro whatever is going on? good luck. go make your own forum or something.
I hope they see this bro. You'll be a mod soon with some luck

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Saying what cvx did wasn't a power trip just because you know/like them personally is ridiculous

Call out when bullshit happens, no matter who it's from

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yikes. I love lurking this thread and I am not aware of everything but what a shit show of mismanagement from the mods.

Sucks that we lost Chris. At this point, if you are like me who usually looks for information and news, Era is slowly becoming pointless.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I understand modding is a thankless job and life stress can lead to snaps like that, especially in a highly diverse space like ERA where there's multiple communities with specific needs.

But you know the old saying "with great powers, comes great responsibilities". You can't just start calling names and try to twist it as anything less than vile. That's just digging the hole deeper.

I at least appreciate that you gave some explanation.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be Era without a massive shit show every quarter that ends up driving another community away.

Banning a regular user for off-site "drama" while letting mods just shit talk people in discord and get away with it, then even have the audacity to come here and defend it.

Lmao

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do not support the way mods are handling this entire MC fiasco. It's embarrassing. Destroying a community and showing their asses whilst doing so.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
These threads are the main reason why I come to the site. Very disappointed by the whole situation.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I can stomach cvx staying if we're completely separating his Discord comments from ERA itself... but if that's the case I think at the very least, he still owes Chris an apology - I've been on the receiving end of his snark and I get being annoyed but I'd still say coming from a mod an apology for those comments is 100% owed in this case - and Bruno should be unbanned since Twitter isn't really affiliated with ERA either.

Making Oregano's words my own, this whole debacle is, from the very beginning, simply a very disappointing turn of events for all parts involved.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Double standards around off site posting suck, expecting people to appeal their bans when the moderation team fucked up sucks (seriously it took like 3 weeks for a mod to get back to me on a 1-day ban appeal, and the response was basically "we don't look at context"), having a million conversations with the community about transparency then not interacting with the communities but instead going on ban sprees, slapping guidelines in threads, constantly closing threads sucks, etc etc

Honestly moderating a community that strives for the goals we hold here is going to be incredibly difficult, but it often feels like the team just forgets every time this shit happens what the plans for improvement are supposed to be.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I just want to express my support and respect to all the moderation team (including Morrigan, now a former moderator), it must be hard to put up with all this. Kudos to you guys!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You all have lost your absolute fucking minds.

This thread will open when I'm ready for it to open.

When it does, that will be the end of this. Any more of this bullshit after I post will be actioned accordingly.

Leave, stay, do whatever you need to do to prepare yourselves.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hey everyone, I've been reading the Era thread and all the feedback. I've asked the team for a chance to speak on my own behalf because I'm crushed by how this has kept escalating, and I don't want to see it keep going in that direction. I love this site and community, I love the sales thread, and the events of the past days are heartbreaking and my fault.

For those who spoke critically of me, all of it is absolutely deserved and I profusely apologize for everything that has happened: the failure as a mod to understand the real underlying issues occurring in MC threads, for my comments on Discord and for the damage that has been dealt to the sales community as a result.

First, I need to address that Chris1964's one day ban was not a power trip. Although it may look like one, it wasn't. His post was reported by a user with no contentious background in the community, and subsequently reviewed by multiple mods and actioned. As the last staff post explained, this ban came after a warning that itself was unwarranted. Clearly, our ignorance about Caiops' intentions led to the team making the incorrect and harmful decision. I'm really sorry about this, too.

Regarding my remarks about Chris in the RE Era Discord, those were also unacceptable. I've followed Chris' work along with the rest of the community for over a decade and he is one of the most valuable contributors to bless the community. His work speaks for itself. My comments, which were a lapse in judgment, are not reflective of the decade-long admiration I have for Chris' sheer intelligence and dedication.

Regarding my comments about his tone, I'm sorry I didn't reach out directly to Chris to discuss this privately. Had I done so, I may have gotten wind of the actual problems sooner. Again, these comments are completely unrelated to the ban, but I still made them. I really cannot overstate how sorry I am for how this has hurt Chris and the entire community. I need to apologize to him personally, so I hope we can sit down together and talk about this as soon as we can.

If you have any other remarks for me, critically or otherwise, please feel free to do so through DMs. This has been deeply shameful and embarrassing on my part. I honestly thought I could try to improve things, but only ended up making them worse. And for that too, I am really sorry.

And lastly, I apologize that it took this long to reach out. I wanted to make sure this message was clear and unambiguous. This community is truly amazing and regardless of how or where you decide to continue, it's been an absolute pleasure seeing and interacting with you over the years.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just as well, it's time to talk.

I know my lock post was sudden. Not only sudden, but birdies in my ear have told me that the post was taken as a call to arms, that I was declaring some huge staff action that would toss out community members. For that I apologize; it was never my intention to have people brace for a round of perms or anything of the sort, and I would hope the relative lack of mod activity on this subject since then demonstrates that.

We need to be straight. This thread was locked thrice? Four times? Because after each opening, the fire had grown bigger and bigger. I was away for most of it at work, and every time I hopped in when I could, some new blow-up would have already occurred, and there I am further behind and unable to get a bead on what exactly was happening.

The final lock was primarily to just get a chance to breathe while I and other staff could process things. That's all it was meant to be, and nothing more.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It started off with a one day ban in this thread and three days later we've lost members and staff and no one is better off for it. Each attempted reopening has only led to wilder escalation, and there's been more than enough of that, so we're going to let it end here. Staff have been engaging the community on Discord and in the process have gained a much better understanding of why things spiraled so quickly. Those conversations are still ongoing.

A few final notes:

This hasn't previously been articulated as a written policy, so certain bans have been rescinded for lack of warning, but we need to explain that members using public social media platforms like Twitter to direct hate at individual staff members has, in the past, led to or fueled doxing and harassment campaigns. Women and minorities get the worst of this. For this reason, we will sometimes issue bans when staff are singled out on a public platform. This only matters on public platforms. We do not care what anyone says in private channels where there's no risk of it leading to harassment.

With the exception of that final lock message, Nepenthe's only role in this was as a messenger. She did not issue any unilateral bans or have any involvement in trying to draft policy or really anything else. This is also true of other staff who were dragged into this and made targets despite having no role at all.

Now, while there were plenty of mistakes on the staff end, some of the reactions by posters were grossly disproportionate and contributed to the rapid escalation of the situation. If you want a mod team that works well, they need to not be in constant fear of brigades or people with a grudge who bluntly want to hurt them and will seize any opportunity to point an angry mob their way. We haven't always been clear about how and why we protect the staff from personal attacks. That's going to change, and updates will be made to the TOS.

Finally we need to emphasize that there was never any grand plan here at any point. There's a tendency to read a lot into anything the staff says or does, but the truth is that we've been caught with our pants down at every step and fumbling to manage a situation that seemed to get crazier every day. Emotions ran high. Sleep and tempers were short. Mistakes were made. We've taken the time since the last lock message to gather ourselves as best we can and hope that cooler heads will be able to prevail.

Status
Not open for further replies.