• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I'm still gonna buy it when it releases in the US :(

And I guess the hopes of a sequel are dead.
I'll wait a bit for a price drop. People didn't think Sushi Striker was worth the asking price and it goes on sale continuously.
High price and questionable controls will make it a bomb. For enthusiast targeted games, you have to satisfy enthusiast demands.
Square a few weeks later: Unfortunately, plans to continue the series of The World Ends With You have been put to a halt because it looks like nobody wants it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll wait a bit for a price drop. People didn't think Sushi Striker was worth the asking price and it goes on sale continuously.

Square a few weeks later: Unfortunately, plans to continue the series of The World Ends With You have been put to a halt because it looks like nobody wants it.

The game is uncomfortable to play in both docked and handheld. Too many other better choices despite me loving the original.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an over abundance of new software. Kicked Splatoon out of the top 10 and Spider-Man from 1 out of the top 5.

Wonder if Orochi's poor performance on switch is why the sales skewed so much.

Kind of wished TWEWY and VC4 did better but fair enough

Yep. Exactly my thoughts.

First time ever Splatoon 2 is out of the top 10. It needed a week with 8 new releases to happen.

Time for Splatoon 3 in 2019.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Not many people cared about The World Ends With You released 11 years ago already.

If Square Enix had truly thought there was potential for this IP a sequel would have already been made long ago.

It debuted exclusively on NDS in its prime and barely sold 80.000 units with a paltry 40% sell-through.

unknown.png

Last edited:

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
Are we expecting game series that have not been on Nintendo platform for quite a while to miraculously sell good numbers? This is the first VC on Nintendo platform and it's the 4th game in series. The audience needs time and effort to build. It's okay to argue that Nintendo needs to spend more effort to promote 3rd party games and put more effort to make their base more diverse, but are we seriously expecting the base to be built in 1.5 years when Playstation has decades of leads?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Really? That is actually pretty good. I didn't know (which is probably another problem).
Yeah, there are some graphical comparison videos on Youtube. I think next year's release will also have improvement (just speculation from me), but maybe the next year after that, we might see a legacy version instead.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Both version of Orochi seems to be sold out in lots of places and it looks to have good wom, so I'm expecting some legs.
FighterZ is a 2D fighting game which is a very niche genre these days, so not sure if it can have the legs Xenoverse2 enjoyed.
VC4, well, I'd say goodbye to VC series on any platform at this point.
TWEWY is dead.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sen 4 sales comparable to Sen 3 ....
I think we might see Erebonian epilogue a la Sora 3rd.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Wow, the difference between Warriors and Fifa between the PS4 and Switch is surprising. I thought the PS4 was dying in Japan, yet Warriors sold more than four times as many copies and Fifa nearly did as well.

Can someone explain to me how this is? The Switch is destroying the PS4 on hardware and will soon pass the LTD numbers, but significantly more people purchased the PS4 versions of these games. Why?
Demographics are different.
And destroying on hardware doesn't mean destroying on software because tie-ratios of nintendo systems are low in japan.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Does anyone have past Falcom games sales at hand? Sales really seem to have declined compared to past generations. And on current gen, new releases are also stagnant compared to previous releases on the same system, with no significant improvement. As seen with this weeks release compared to part 3.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have past Falcom games sales at hand? Sales really seem to have declined compared to past generations. And on current gen, new releases are also stagnant compared to previous releases on the same system, with no significant improvement. As seen with this weeks release compared to part 3.
How can you improve the sales of CS4 from CS3 when CS4 requires people to play CS3 first?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And destroying on hardware doesn't mean destroying on software because tie-ratios of nintendo systems are low in japan.
I didn't realize tie ratios were low! Are they demonstrably lower than non-Nintendo systems? I have only heard that Switch is selling a ton of software and (in Japan) there were no upcoming games that will sell a lot on the PS4.

And I question why the demographics are different. I would think we're at a point where for gamers in Japan the Switch is their primary console with the PS4 being a secondary console. Again, the Switch is about to past the PS4 LTD. The majority of Japanese gamers will own a Switch, not a PS4.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If Minecraft Switch keeps the pace up it'll be at 400k before the December. Might close out the year 500k+.

PS4 still doing work on the software front.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Good hardware sales and a bit disappointing software sales for Switch, I guess that medium sized games on PS4 won't boost hardware sales that much anymore.

But I do really hope that Super Mario Party lights a fire under the Switches butt and increases hardware sales for the whole month until Pokémon comes out

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
What I'm interested in is to see how Falcoms sales performance in Japan developed in the past few years. As it looks like they are in decline or stagnant best.

How can you improve the sales of CS4 from CS3 when CS4 requires people to play CS3 first?

Not sure if I recall correctly, wasn't CS3 the first PS4 exclusive (refering to console/handheld) release in the series? And already suffered a notable decline due to this fact? The argument back then was that the PSP and PSV audience need time to transition to PS4 first.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If you bought VC4 digitally you get a 25% discount on VC1 I believe. These numbers are super low and it bombed either way but maybe that skewed the usual digital ratio up somewhat.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if I recall correctly, wasn't CS3 the first PS4 exclusive (refering to console/handheld) release in the series? And already suffered a notable decline due to this fact? The argument back then was that the PSP and PSV audience need time to transition to PS4 first.
No doubt Falcom took a great hit from ditching PSV, and not just in Japan. They once posted their best selling SKUs in Asia, and the tops are PSV SKUs. They sell better than on PS3 or PS4. Now that this arc has come to an end, it leaves Falcom a couple of years to think about if sticking to home console is the right thing to do.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder why companies cater to the needs of fans of obscure games, especially when you see sales like that for TWEWY. But then again, it probably didn't cost Square much to port the game. Y'all aren't getting a sequel though
It's called international release, nothing is dependent on Japan anymore

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Not many people cared about The World Ends With You released 11 years ago already.

If Square Enix had truly thought there was potential for this IP a sequel would have already been made long ago.

It debuted exclusively on NDS in its prime and barely sold 80.000 units with a paltry 40% sell-through

TWEWY's time was up a few years ago.

The game had a nice cult following back then. It didn't do greatly sales-wise but fanbase was dedicated. 11 years are a long-ass time though.

They should have released a direct sequel on 3DS, after TWEWY cameo in KH3D, in 2013.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Mr Konami: "Oh Mr Konami you are a genius! Hyper Sports R is exactly what the market wants! If it doesn't sell a million it's clear Switch owners don't buy 3rd party games and we'll cease development of anything on it! Also, let's put some Castelvania games on PS4 to tie in with Smash Bros, perfect!"
Honestly, i think Hyper Sports R has a bigger chance to sell more than a port of two older Castlevania games. I can see it (Hyper Sports R) reaching a much broader audience at least.

Castlevania on PS4 is also joint venture between Konami and Sony, it might not have happened without that. I also think its more likely that Sakurai/Nintendo was the one who approached Konami to include Belmont in Smash Ultimate, not the other way around. Castlevania is a pretty iconic franchise in gaming history (well, at least for those who are ~25 years or older), and Smash Ultimate being a new game, including Belmont is a pretty good fit for a new character. Its not like everyone getting Smash Ultimate only owns a Switch either, so having Belmont in Smash could have positive effect on Castlevania games for other platforms (although i think its debatable how much effect such thing actually will have. Is there any proven correlation that including a character in Smash has boosted sales for games in the serie?).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's called international release, nothing is dependent on Japan anymore
You'd think after years of this being PS4's rallying cry people would extend the same logic to Switch.

That said I don't think TWEWY is going to do all that great in any market either. $50 for an awkward DS port a decade later is a tough sell no matter where you are.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Software tie-ratios don't really mean much, if software is selling at a faster rate than hardware, then the software tie-ratios will end up higher, which PS4, Vita and 3DS are all experiencing because they're at the end of their lifecycle. They're all dependant on how fast or slow the hardware is selling.

Sure, the PS4, 3DS and Vita all have similar software tie-ratios but the 3DS has sold double the amount of software and almost double the amount of hardware of PS4 and Vita combined.

(Last record on gamedatalibrary week ending September 23rd 2018)

PS4
HW: 7.115.682
SW: 33.197.541
tie-ratio: 1:4.7

Vita
HW: 5.931.609
SW: 24.118.811
tie-ratio: 1:4.1

3DS
HW: 24.210.427
SW: 119.233.021
tie-ratio: 1:4.9

Switch
HW: 5.090.333
SW: 13.973.349
tie-ratio: 1:2.7

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
RIP Valkyria Chronicles

next time release during the summer drought rather than September (there's not going to be a next time)

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
PS4

Switch
tie-ratio: 1:2.74

I agree. It was a really weak argument, that implied low software sales. But this data clearly shows that Switch, even with a smaller userbase, already sold more than a third of PS4s lifetime software sales, actually it's even closer to half, than just a third.

PS4: 33.2m (2014-now) vs Switch: 14m (2017-now)

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think after years of this being PS4's rallying cry people would extend the same logic to Switch.

That said I don't think TWEWY is going to do all that great in any market either. $50 for an awkward DS port a decade later is a tough sell no matter where you are.
To be fair, the situation is basically the same. Some guy talked about sales here (in this case with TWEWY), and another point out that the game is being sold worldwide. Its the same situation thats been for PS4 for some years.

Otherwise i agree that TWEWY probably wont do that good in other countries as well.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
It was a pretty stacked week for Switch third party releases, can't remember a week like this in its first and half years on the market. Valkyria bombed, but I fear worldwide the game will have it rough. Shame. I am part of the problem.

The World Ends with You was to be expected. As much as I love the original, its a very hard sell as a game. The DS version didn't set the world on fire, I doubted the Switch version could.

As for the orther three releases... I'll wait and see. Data shown us that FIFA and Xenoverse 2 were slow sellers and went on to sell well over 100k. I'm expecting a similar trajectory for FIFA 19 and FighterZ. Warriors Orrochi 4 will snag a few sales as Well.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The World Ends with You was to be expected. As much as I love the original, its a very hard sell as a game. The DS version didn't set the world on fire, I doubted the Switch version could.

Original fans of the game don't want a porting (the game was also re-released on mobile phones too). They want a sequel.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Software tie-ratios don't really mean much, if software is selling at a faster rate than hardware, then the software tie-ratios will end up higher, which PS4, Vita and 3DS are all experiencing because they're at the end of their lifecycle. They're all dependant on how fast or slow the hardware is selling.

Sure, the PS4, 3DS and Vita all have similar software tie-ratios but the 3DS has sold double the amount of software and almost double the amount of hardware of PS4 and Vita combined.

PS4

Vita

3DS

Switch

To be fair this ignores digital sales completely that with PS4 means that pretty big amount of sales data is not taken to account (for example some discounted games like BF4, AC: Unity etc have sold more digitally than in retail)

konoka

Dec 20, 2017

PS4

Vita

3DS

Switch
I can't understand what you want to say.
Do you think PS4 tie-ratio don't increase anymore?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I can't understand what you want to say.
Do you think PS4 tie-ratio don't increase anymore?

It means that considering that by the end of the year Switch software might very well be at over half of PS4 total software sales from 2014 to 2018 combined, your tie ratio comparison is a rather pointless comparison. As Switch Software sells at a faster rate than PS4 software in Japan.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The World Ends With You: Final Bomba

Costs triple the mobile version, you can't play it in handheld mode with classic controls but only touch screen, even table top afaik you need to play it with motion controlled aiming.
For a game that offer little content over the decade old DS version, nevermind mobile...

I predicted 20k but I'm not shocked with this figure either.
It'll bomb worldwide.

Btw, does anybody know ballpark worlwide LTDs for YsVIII PS4/Vita/Switch and how the late Switch port compares?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
65k indeed Utawarerumono.

Falcom really syphoning that Trails audience in Japan, glad the rest of Asia is making up for the losses I guess.

Pretty good from FighterZ and FIFA on Switch. Definitely expected more from Orochi and Valkyria though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Costs triple the mobile version, you can't play it in handheld mode with classic controls but only touch screen, even table top afaik you need to play it with motion controlled aiming.
For a game that offer little content over the decade old DS version, nevermind mobile...

I predicted 20k but I'm not shocked with this figure either.
It'll bomb worldwide.

Btw, does anybody know ballpark worlwide LTDs for YsVIII PS4/Vita/Switch and how the late Switch port compares?

I remember AniHawk saying that the Switch version is outselling the PS4 and PSV versions combined in the West.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
the fact that it dropped so little is already amazing in a sense, the fanbase is extremely loyal

Looked up sales of CS1 and CS2, which were PSV/PS3 releases. The problem is that CS1 and CS2 sold something like 160k-170k first week each. Sales almost halfed with CS3 and CS4 didn't sell any better either. The hope after CS3 was that it was just a matter of time until the PS3 and PSV audience transitions to PS4, but with CS4 sales remained stagnant.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looked up sales of CS1 and CS2, which were PSV/PS3 releases. The problem is that CS1 and CS2 sold something like 160k-170k first week each. Sales almost halfed with CS3 and CS4 didn't sell any better either. The hope after CS3 was that it was just a matter of time until the PS3 and PSV audience transitions to PS4, but with CS4 sales remained stagnant.

The bolded is nonsense, it was never a matter of time. The userbase lost in the PSV -> PS4 transition were never coming back since they were portable-players only. The fact that the decline is so little between CS3 and CS4 is an extremely good result considering it's a direct sequel.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I remember AniHawk saying that the Switch version is outselling the PS4 and PSV versions combined in the West.
And Labyrinth of Refrain Switch is outselling the PS4 version 3 to 1. Japanese games on Switch don't have any trouble in the West. But as Mat mentioned in the NPD threads, about 70% of Switch owners have a PS4/XB1/PC, so the Switch is just part of the life of those "hardcore" gamers. It's in Japan where the split seem to be must harsher. I guess people have deeply ingrained notion of what a PS4 and a Nintendo console should be. Weren't there a stat that showed that the Switch was mostly owned by children there?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
The bolded is nonsense, it was never a matter of time. The userbase lost in the PSV -> PS4 transition were never coming back since they were portable-players only. The fact that the decline is so little between CS3 and CS4 is an extremely good result considering it's a direct sequel.

I hope we can agree that the decline between CS2 and 3 on the other hand isn't an "extremely good" result. And about what you call nonsense, I simply mentioned the arguments with which some attempted to damage control the steep decline.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we can agree that the decline between CS2 and 3 on the other hand isn't an "extremely good" result. And about what you call nonsense, I simply mentioned the arguments with which some attempted to damage control the steep decline.

Well from a growth perspective, sure, cutting the userbase in half is never a good result in theory. Now you gotta also factor in that they now have less of a workload with one less platform to develop for (or two ? I don't remember if CS2 was PS3/PSV/PS4) and that evens the things quite a bit.

There's also the harsh reality that Vita was not going to be a sustainable platform and they had to move in any situation, which implied no matter what they did a drop in the userbase.