• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
As for Famitsu polls that are reliable with Sony and unreliable only with Nintendo with no indication for the opposite

Fallout 76 was above Hitman 2 in its second week (Fallout 76 was #3 and Hitman 2 wasn't even in the top 20). We have no idea if the Hitman 2 PSN store ranking includes Hitman 2: Prologue (but it really seems like it does). That would certainly explain the disparency because why else would Hitman 2 go from #1 one week to not even in the top 20 the next week? This is way too ambiguous to use as evidence of unreliability.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This has turned into a funny story, if I post some older errors of these polls we will laugh for days.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Prime 2 was the best looking console game of all time when it was released, IDK.

Prime 1 was the best looking game of all time when it was released.

Don't think these technical masterpieces were made super cheaply.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ah my mistake, I assumed tracking was similar to other regions, where more of the market is represented.

Lol, the methodology for digital estimates is even worse than I thought though.

Can't believe this is a real conversation in an MC thread in 2019.

It doesn't even matter. 57% is way beyond what you need to accurately project the rest of the market as long as the sample is random/has no bias. At that percentage, unless your market is very very specialized and compartmentalized/few stores cover the whole market and you dont track a few major ones its gonna be really fucking hard to not pick a representative sample.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default: For the Sequel
Physical release was at {2013.12.05} with digital coming out 2 months later at {2014.02.01}
When Famitsu posted combined top 30 for Dec 2013 {2013.12.02 - 2014.01.05} digital sales should be zero, right? Nope they were 15.777.

Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu
Physical release was at {2014.11.20} with digital coming out 2 weeks later at {2014.12.04}
When Famitsu posted combined top 30 for Nov 2014 {2014.10.27 - 2014.11.23} digital sales should be zero, right? Nope they were 439.

We must find how Famitsu estimates these sales from the future.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Physical release was at {2013.12.05} with digital coming out 2 months later at {2014.02.01}
When Famitsu posted combined top 30 for Dec 2013 {2013.12.02 - 2014.01.05} digital sales should be zero, right? Nope they were 15.777.

Physical release was at {2014.11.20} with digital coming out 2 weeks later at {2014.12.04}
When Famitsu posted combined top 30 for Nov 2014 {2014.10.27 - 2014.11.23} digital sales should be zero, right? Nope they were 439.

Wrong about Bravely Default.
Check carefully before you use a sarcasm.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Dengeki

January (December 31st to January 27th, so 4 weeks in total):
  • Hardware: 750 000 units (-6.3% Year on Year) / 23.1 billion Yen (-1.5%)
  • Software: 3 450 000 units (-9.4% Year on Year) / 23.3 billion Yen (-13.4%)
  • Total: 46.4 billion Yen (-7.8%)

Fiscal Year (as of January): market down by 12.2% to 304.4 billion Yen. They hope February and March will go back up, but, heh...

Top 5 Software for January 2019:
  1. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III (Square-Enix)
  2. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) - 440 000 units
  3. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo) - 330 000 units
  4. [PS4] Resident Evil 2 (Capcom) - 240 000 units
  5. [PS4] Ace Combat 7 (Bandai-Namco) - 220 000 units

Also, they don't seem too happy about impact of new releases on PS4 sales this week.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/872/1872747/

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
bravely default for the sequel wasn't available on launch at eshop . the one available back in december 2013 was the update pack for the original bravely default flying fairy owners.
so famitsu "estimate" for that game is misleading

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys..... at least dont waste time and energy defending trash like Famitsu digital estimates please.

Thats like the biggest waste of time you can do.

I already see how bad launcher wars on Era. We dont need to see tracker wars happen in MC thread right?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's normal for people want to have a more accurate picture of how much a game is actually selling, especially when digital sales probably aren't the same flat percentage for every game. Of course, Famitsu's estimates don't seem to be that. It's too bad we don't have accurate numbers.

fiendcode

Why does your list of releases only include multiplat titles on the Switch side? (Onimusha, Okami, etc).

Oct 25, 2017
I would also like more accurate digital estimate tracking, and I agree sometimes an idea of what could be selling can tell me more in lieu of official numbers if the methodology is sound.

But the defense I'm seeing for Famitsu's digital estimates just seems really desperate.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I would also like more accurate digital estimate tracking, and I agree sometimes an idea of what could be selling can tell me more in lieu of official numbers if the methodology is sound.

But the defense I'm seeing for Famitsu's digital estimates just seems really desperate.

They can't be defended. I'm just saying it's understandable why people would want to cling to something.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
bravely default for the sequel wasn't available on launch at eshop . the one available back in december 2013 was the update pack for the original bravely default flying fairy owners.
so famitsu "estimate" for that game is misleading
It was not a update pack.
It was a new separate game that can be bought only through the base version.
I have just the opposite feeling.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Pointless. Who does that ? They'll port it after it released like with all their other PS4 games so far.

Sega did it with Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4 NSW). Falcom did it too with Ys VIII (PSV PS4). And sure there are some other examples.

If the publisher has the will, they can announce a Switch version. But for some reason they don't think is worth.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
feel like I'm relatively alone in not being surprised at DBZ rpg not being on switch.
Also don't feel like it's some huge deal.

or getting mad at bamco lol. It has a dbz exclusive anyway

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
It was not a update pack.
It was a new separate game that can be bought only through the base version.

I have just the opposite feeling.
whether i'm wrong to call it update pack or not (like no way I can remember what the version actually called after 5 years), it's still a fact that you still can't really purchase it directly from eshop back during launch. it's like let's say for example Nintendo doesn't allow you to purchase xb2 torna standalone from eshop (which luckily it didn't happen), and then the "reliable estimate" puts torna having digital numbers based on xb2 season pass "estimate".

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The desperation to defend famitsu digital is truly one of a kind. I hope that whoever who truly believe having a wrong information is better than no information never hold a strong business position of a company lol.

The company can lost so much money over wrong information when they can probably just avoid losing money due to no information.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
The desperation to defend famitsu digital is truly one of a kind. I hope that whoever who truly believe having a wrong information is better than no information never hold a strong business position of a company lol.

The company can lost so much money over wrong information when they can probably just avoid losing money due to no information.
Any information is good information. It's the interpretation of that information that can be flawed.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

I should ask the Famitsu estimate people to play darts with me. Could get a good winning streak going based on these misses.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
a method to bullshit numbers is a bullshit method
Bullshit in what context? As far as I know Famitsu is using the best possible way they can to get digital estimates other than getting them directly from publishers (which they're not allowed to share). With retail sales they can poll brick and mortar stores to learn about shipments size and sell-through numbers but there's no intermediary for digital sales.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I think we should stop using Famitsu numbers altogether. Clearly they're just a worthless outlet spec with no grasp on the video gaming industry in Japan. Just Media Create and Dengeki now. They are the true stars. Who knows video games better than a light novel publisher anyway?

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit in what context? As far as I know Famitsu is using the best possible way they can to get digital estimates other than getting them directly from publishers (which they're not allowed to share). With retail sales they can poll brick and mortar stores to learn about shipments size and sell-through numbers but there's no intermediary for digital sales.
Again, since we know they're almost always innacurate because their methodology doesn't work, it doesn't matter that it's "the best they can do" since it's still bad data.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
He used polls. Like Famitsu.
There are better, already established, methodologies to obtain hardware sales than polls and so my interpretation of his methodology would lead me not to trust them, naturally. As I said in my previous post, polls are currently the best and pretty much the only way to obtain digital estimates, unofficially.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Can you explain your methodology? Famitsu does.
There are better, already established, methodologies to obtain hardware sales than polls and so my interpretation of his methodology would lead me not to trust them, naturally. As I said in my previous post, polls are currently the best and pretty much the only way to obtain digital estimates, unofficially.
Can you link us to Famitsu's explanation of their methodology. I'm alittle unclear on it and would appreciate further insight on this best polling, how it's administered, selection, sample size, etc.