Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long they can benefit as strongly from catalog sales going forward though? All major platforms now have a library that passes from one generation to the next + backwards compatibility. Won't catalog sales inevitably start to shrink as there will be fewer users to buy those old games. Its not like before where you can sell the same games to people over and over.

New Games releasing will become a Catalog once they get older

MHR and RE 8 are going to get good legs in the future. You can see how there catalog games have been doing , and how the numbers have increased

pdf_9.png

Devil May Cry 5 SE shows that they'll still entice people to double dip.

DMC 5 SE is something which i feel doesn't add much to their catalogue

Lighten up. I don't think it's a serious comparison

Yeah. Looking at the recent post .....Ahh Dear

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The new games they release will now be part of that forward-compatible catalogue of games. There's also the option of opening up to more platforms such as Switch with ports and then Switch 2.
Plus there's lots of games not yet on Switch as well as other platforms:

Stuff missing on Switch:

Dead Rising
Dead Rising 2
Devil May Cry 4 SE
DmC Definitive Edition
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Resident Evil Code Veronica

Stuff missing period:

Lost Planet
Lost Planet 2
Lost Planet 3
Dark Void
Remember Me (no one does)
Street Fighter X Tekken
Other Onimusha games
Mega Man X Command Mission
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Dos
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Zack & Wiki
Spyborgs
Gotcha Force
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble
PN No.3
Resident Evil Outbreak
Resident Evil Outbreak File #2
Dino Crisis 3
Mega Man Network Transmission
Everblue
Everblue 2

Should be the main GC/PS2/XB and onward stuff

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparing something as frequently released as Yakuza to an old leggy release like Bomberman doesn't give that much interesting info imo.
i know it's not a very useful comparison (and obviously done jokingly), but it does simultaneously highlight how much yakuza has declined, and how well bomberman has done (according to gdl, best selling title in the series since the super famicom days).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The Yakuza/Bomberman thing was a joke people.

Stuff missing on Switch:

Dead Rising
Dead Rising 2
Devil May Cry 4 SE
DmC Definitive Edition
Ultra Street Fighter 4

Stuff missing period:

Lost Planet
Lost Planet 2
Lost Planet 3
Dark Void
Street Fighter X Tekken
Other Onimusha games
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Dos
Zack & Wiki
Spyborgs
Gotcha Force
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
PN No.3
Resident Evil Outbreak
Dino Crisis 3
Everblue
Everblue 2

I think Dead Rising probably died with Capcom Vancouver. Dev 1/2 haven't shown any interest in bringing it back.

Out of the missing remasters I still expect DMC4SE and DmCDE but that's probably it. They really should do USFIV and UMVC3 too though. Anything else will be stuff also coming PC/PS4/Xbox. If I could pick some remasters there I'd love to see Viewtiful Joe 1/2 HD (they scale to HD incredibly well) and a global crossplay release for E.X.Troopers. Oh and TVC HD as long as we're dreaming.

Capcom def cant pull what they did on switch for the succ, and the lack of new games in general for them means there is slim pickings for future catalog sales
Sure they can. Succ it up, that's when we're getting RE7, RE2, RE3, DMC5SE, RE Village...

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country

Stuff missing on Switch:

Dead Rising
Dead Rising 2
Devil May Cry 4 SE
DmC Definitive Edition
Ultra Street Fighter 4

Stuff missing period:

Lost Planet
Lost Planet 2
Lost Planet 3
Dark Void
Street Fighter X Tekken
Other Onimusha games
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Dos
Zack & Wiki
Spyborgs
Gotcha Force
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
PN No.3
Resident Evil Outbreak
Dino Crisis 3
Everblue
Everblue 2

80% of those games are on Xbox though, if they wanted to make remasters they wouldn't have made them backwards compatible (like Take Two not making LA Noire backwards compatible so they could sell a remaster). I doubt Capcom sees much value in re-releasing those games.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
80% of those games are on Xbox though, if they wanted to make remasters they wouldn't have made them backwards compatible (like Take Two not making LA Noire backwards compatible so they could sell a remaster). I doubt Capcom sees much value in re-releasing those games.
I don't think Capcom sees a point in including Dead Rising, Viewtiful Joe or Lost Planet in its recurring back catalog since none of those franchises have a future. I think Capcom has a soft spot for Okami, which is why they keep remastering it even though it's never getting a sequel.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
i know it's not a very useful comparison (and obviously done jokingly), but it does simultaneously highlight how much yakuza has declined, and how well bomberman has done (according to gdl, best selling title in the series since the super famicom days).

I think we all get it is a joke lol.

Just adding an additional thought.

They pretty much have 0 chance of turning Yakuza around too so it'll be interesting to see what they do from here on out.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I don't think Capcom sees a point in including Dead Rising, Viewtiful Joe or Lost Planet in its recurring back catalog since none of those franchises have a future. I think Capcom has a soft spot for Okami, which is why they keep remastering it even though it's never getting a sequel.
I agree. A ton of people demanding more ports of old games for the Switch are ignoring two things:

1) Publishers will very possibly need to hire an independent studio to do so.

2) Those games can be sold for what? 20 dollars tops? Add the 30% Nintendo takes and a ton of ports would not make money. How much would Lost Planet sell on Switch? 300.000 copies for 20 dollars each? Is that enough to hire an independent studio to port the game? Isn't it smarter to invest that money elsewhere?

The reason the backwards compatibility program on Xbox and the preserving of old games on the platform has worked is because Microsoft's engineers do all the porting work and publishers don't pay for anything (and Microsoft doesn't either, publishers agree because it means more sales in the future and on future Xbox platforms).

Just some quick thoughts.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly, i'm kinda surprised they haven't done anything with okamiden. a mobile port or something, at least. i can see it doing decently well.

but otherwise yeah, it seems like they're not really interested in releasing ports of old games in their catalog that aren't part of ongoing series. the onimusha remaster [apparently] flopping hard probably didn't help either.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Yakuza/Bomberman thing was a joke people.

I think Dead Rising probably died with Capcom Vancouver. Dev 1/2 haven't shown any interest in bringing it back.

Out of the missing remasters I still expect DMC4SE and DmCDE but that's probably it. They really should do USFIV and UMVC3 too though. Anything else will be stuff also coming PC/PS4/Xbox. If I could pick some remasters there I'd love to see Viewtiful Joe 1/2 HD (they scale to HD incredibly well) and a global crossplay release for E.X.Troopers. Oh and TVC HD as long as we're dreaming.

Sure they can. Succ it up, that's when we're getting RE7, RE2, RE3, DMC5SE, RE Village...
God

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter. There's so little conflict in these threads that we have to make up our own.

I am still let down that my account verification took so long last week that I couldn't chime in on time on "What is a JRPG?" and "Can we please leave the frog in his coffin?"
That "what is a jrpg" discussion was so funny and it lasted so many pages, I love it

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
USFIV might actually be part of some deal with Capcom and Sony regarding PS4 era systems and beyond.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually wonder how SF5 is gonna be handled in the future, relying on sony for that might have bit them in the ass a bit, theres a chance Sony may allow them to sell it on other platforms in the future when its no longer valuable to them

Oct 26, 2017
USFIV might actually be part of some deal with Capcom and Sony regarding PS4 era systems and beyond.
That doesn't make sense though. Other Ocean did the PS4 version and turned out badly IIRC, plus Bayonetta 1 got native PS4 and XBO ports, even though Nintendo's made it pretty clear that they practically made her one of their own and funded and published ports of said game on both Wii U and Switch, without prohibiting non-Nintendo ports.

Meaning, why would Sony (and can they?) force a remaster of a multiplat game to stay exclusive for life that they didn't even publish? It's bizarre. I really doubt Capcom can't put it on Switch (and XBO, but it's BC anyway).

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make sense though. Other Ocean did the PS4 version and turned out badly IIRC, plus Bayonetta 1 got native PS4 and XBO ports, even though Nintendo's made it pretty clear that they practically made her one of their own and funded and published ports of said game on both Wii U and Switch, without prohibiting non-Nintendo ports.

Meaning, why would Sony (and can they?) force a remaster of a multiplat game to stay exclusive for life that they didn't even publish? It's bizarre. I really doubt Capcom can't put it on Switch (and XBO, but it's BC anyway).
They didn't redo it for XBONE is all, nor did it appear on Wii U or Switch. It probably could have come out in that Switch launch era SF push no problem, but there might be some deal in place where they can't publish 4 on competing platforms to go along with 5.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It was originally reported as a timed deal iirc. Which makes sense as SSFIVAE/USFIV wasn't made BC on Xbox One until almost exactly 2 years later.

I actually wonder how SF5 is gonna be handled in the future, relying on sony for that might have bit them in the ass a bit, theres a chance Sony may allow them to sell it on other platforms in the future when its no longer valuable to them
Nothing's forever. SFV exclusivity almost certainly has an end date but maybe it's long enough we won't see it on current consoles.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't be surprised if they keep moneyhatting SF (for console-exclusivity). they might like the fact that some of these long running multiplatform series are being perceived as playstation-exclusive now.

Jan 30, 2021

It always depends on what the deal is. For Bayonetta it's pretty clear that Nintendo shares the copyright with Sega only on game 2 and 3 while the IP itself remains Sega's, just like the first game. It's not worth it for Nintendo to pay for exclusivity of game 1, so Sega can port it to any platform they want.

The conditions of the Street Fighter deal between Sony and Capcom remain unknown, but third party publishers usually only allow themselves to get locked up for the duration of one generation. So by now USF IV may be free to be ported again, however, that will be of no use if Capcom has no business interest of their own to port it again.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
i wouldn't be surprised if they keep moneyhatting SF (for console-exclusivity). they might like the fact that some of these long running multiplatform series are being perceived as playstation-exclusive now.
Hasn't stopped SF0-III going everywhere though. I doubt Sony's still paying to keep IV at least, otherwise it wouldn't be BC on Xbox.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
New Games releasing will become a Catalog once they get older

MHR and RE 8 are going to get good legs in the future. You can see how there catalog games have been doing , and how the numbers have increased

pdf_9.png

DMC 5 SE is something which i feel doesn't add much to their catalogue

Yeah. Looking at the recent post .....Ahh Dear

Sorry I should be more specific - I don't mean ongoing sales of current gen games largely achieved via price reduction. I'm talking of games from prior generations. But I guess they don't account for a major portion of these catalog sales anyway

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I should be more specific - I don't mean ongoing sales of current gen games largely achieved via price reduction. I'm talking of games from prior generations. But I guess they don't account for a major portion of these catalog sales anyway
In addition to new games transitioning to catalog (and finding new sales with the established base at lower pricepoints) there's also general audience churn as new or lapsed gamers buy systems and decide to grab these catalog releases.

Remasters and collections aren't an insignificant amount of catalog sales either. You can see that in the platinum charts even.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I just don't think SF is much of a system seller. Capcom accepted the moneyhat for SFV when they were in a much worse financial situation. I don't think Sony is interested in having to pay much more for 6.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
honestly, i'm kinda surprised they haven't done anything with okamiden. a mobile port or something, at least. i can see it doing decently well.

but otherwise yeah, it seems like they're not really interested in releasing ports of old games in their catalog that aren't part of ongoing series. the onimusha remaster [apparently] flopping hard probably didn't help either.
Yeah I think there'd be some interest in an HD version of Okamiden. A lot of people didn't get the chance to play that one. Also Ghost Trick.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think there'd be some interest in an HD version of Okamiden. A lot of people didn't get the chance to play that one. Also Ghost Trick.
yeah ghost trick is another title that feels like it should be ported to everything. it's a one and done title so it's not like people will expect a sequel, and over the years the word of mouth has been super positive and i bet a lot of people have heard good things about it but haven't found a convenient way to check it out.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
So Software dropping a lot, I think we might actually have a low NSW hardware week, 80k would be great hold before sm3dw

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a pro is real, might be a good time to start porting xbo/ps4 games to the switch ecosystem and rely on the catalogue nature to squeeze money out of Nintendo players in the future

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
COMG! preorders chart, Week 5 2020:
Each point represents one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Monster Hunter Rise - 321 pts (+30 pts)
2. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 77 pts (+23 pts)
3. Monster Hunter Rise Double Pack - 72 pts (+12 pts)
4. Story of Season Ranch of Olive Town - 40 pts (+7 pts)
5. Bravely Default II - 21 pts (+3 pts)
6. Rune Factory 5 - 16 pts (+1 pt)
7. Nier Replicant sqrt(1.5) - 16 pts (+1 pt)
8. New Pokémon Snap - 15 pts (+2 pts)
9. Rune Factory 5 Collector's Edition - 13 pts (+0 pt)
10. Resident Evil Village Z version (PS4) - 9 pts (+1 pt)
11. Little Nightmares II (NSW) - 8 pts (+1 pt)
12. Atelier Mysterious Trilogy DX (NSW) - 6 pts (NEW)
13. Gotoubun no Hanayome ∬: Natsu no Omoide mo Gotoubun Limited Edition (PS4) - 5 pts (+0 pt)
14. Little Nightmares II (PS4) - 5 pts (+0 pt)
15. Atelier Mysterious Trilogy DX (PS4) - 3 pts (NEW)
16. Steam Prison - 3 pts (+0 pt)
17. Far Cry 6 (PS5) - 3 pts (+0 pt)
18. R-TYPE Final 2 Limited Edition (PS4) - 2 pts (NEW)
19. Resident Evil Village Z version (PS5) - 2 pts (NEW)
20. Angelique Luminarise BOX - 2 pts (NEW)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The disparity between the PS4 and PS5 versions of Nioh 2 is kind of bonkers considering it's a rerelease of a PS4 game.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
yeah ghost trick is another title that feels like it should be ported to everything. it's a one and done title so it's not like people will expect a sequel, and over the years the word of mouth has been super positive and i bet a lot of people have heard good things about it but haven't found a convenient way to check it out.
Capcom has to be the worst company out there at handling its IP and library. Basically if it's not Resident Evil or Mega Man they don't care whatsoever.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Bravely 2 is gonna bomb hard imho
Especially compared to Story od Seasons and Rune Factory, I would expect better from SE

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of which, do you think Capcom has any interest in a new IP? The last spinoff we got was MHStories right? I guess there's that Toraware no Palm or something?