• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
gamesmaya top 3 for today

1. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (25th Anniversary Special Box) <RPG> (Atlus) {2017.10.26} (¥16.800)
2. [PS4] Ark: Survival Evolved <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2017.10.26} (¥6.800)
3. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux <RPG> (Atlus) {2017.10.26} (¥6.480)

Good sales and sell-through for these titles, one hour earlier opening tomorrow for Mario.

I've been a lurker in the MC threads for a while and I just want to say thanks for the hard work you put into these threads.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017

1. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (25th Anniversary Special Box) <RPG> (Atlus) {2017.10.26} (¥16.800)
3. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux <RPG> (Atlus) {2017.10.26} (¥6.480)

Good sales and sell-through for these titles, one hour earlier opening tomorrow for Mario.
First non-bomba Atlus 3ds game in a while. Good job Atlus! You guys did it!

Not expecting any legs though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking to the upcoming Switch releases and I think that we miiiiiiight have a Nintendo Direct in November (maybe the 8th ?). What do you think ?

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt you'll see anything major before January. Maybe small dedicated direct for Zelda DLC.

I think they'll announce something in November to get people hyped for January. Because if they're going to keep the "one game a month" thing rolling, then they need to get the hype going for the game that will release in January. My guess is it'll be something like Kirby or something like that. Announcing in November will give them time to hype things up gradually instead of having to rush it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think they'll announce something in November to get people hyped for January. Because if they're going to keep the "one game a month" thing rolling, then they need to get the hype going for the game that will release in January. My guess is it'll be something like Kirby or something like that. Announcing in November will give them time to hype things up gradually instead of having to rush it.
Kirby is April iirc, but maybe Yoshi can be January? If that's the case, then there is not really a need to get a direct out this november, since the January direct can generatie hype for titles February and onwards (assuming the February title isn't a major blockbuster. A BOTW DLC Direct would make sense, though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt you'll see anything major before January. Maybe small dedicated direct for Zelda DLC.

I am not expecting something major but there is a huge disparency in the number of retail releases between November and December. It is less true for Japan but in the rest of the World you have Sonic Forces, Doom, LA Noire, Rime, Skyrim, Snipperclips and Resident Evil all releasing in November meanwhile there is only Xenoblade Chronicles scheluded for the whole month of December.

We still need to hear about Minecraft retail release, Rocket League release date, Zelda DLC and other titles like Payday 2 that are still scheduled for this year.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby is April iirc, but maybe Yoshi can be January? If that's the case, then there is not really a need to get a direct out this november, since the January direct can generatie hype for titles February and onwards (assuming the February title isn't a major blockbuster. A BOTW DLC Direct would make sense, though.

They could wait and just announce a release date for Yoshi/Kirby or whatever, but I think they'll actually do it with more fanfare so a Direct will make a lot of sense. We really don't know much beyond December 1st when Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is released. At least for Nintendo software. Lots of the "big" games even for 3rd parties will be out by the beginning of December. We still don't know Rocket League's release date, either (at least I haven't seen it anywhere), so that could get some hype in a November Direct as well.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I am surprised that SMT:SJR is doing OK. Expected BOMBA.

Lets see if this is the same everywhere.

The original Strange Journey opened at around 90k. It didn't sell that well to begin with; IIRC, it had some supply issue that killed interest during the first week.

I expect Redux to sell on par with the first Raidou game, around 55k FW and below 100k LTD.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kirby Star Allies doesn't have a release date besides Spring 2018 IIRC. (but yes, it's most likely in April before golden week). Yoshi is worse as it's just "2018", and since they didn't showcased it in the last direct, I doubt it will release so early in the year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Kirby Star Allies doesn't have a release date besides Spring 2018 IIRC. (but yes, it's most likely in April before golden week). Yoshi is worse as it's just "2018", and since they didn't showcased it in the last direct, I doubt it will release so early in the year.
Yeah, wasn't sure if Kirby was spring or april. They did demo Yoshi at E3 quite extensively for such a relatively small title, so it could probably release any time next year, maybe even very early. Not much to go on yet, though, so it's all just spitballing on my part at this point.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo can handle the demand during holiday season, it seems will be #1 hot item for kids/teens.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I am not expecting something major but there is a huge disparency in the number of retail releases between November and December. It is less true for Japan but in the rest of the World you have Sonic Forces, Doom, LA Noire, Rime, Skyrim, Snipperclips and Resident Evil all releasing in November meanwhile there is only Xenoblade Chronicles scheluded for the whole month of December.

We still need to hear about Minecraft retail release, Rocket League release date, Zelda DLC and other titles like Payday 2 that are still scheduled for this year.

yeah, some of those might be PR releases though.
Zelda DLC needs a small video though

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One day, I will be able to have a moment to read this thread.

I blame everyone.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (25th Anniversary Special Box) has crazy price even for a Limited Edition but its popularity will be the reason the game won't see the standard lately 3DS big decline at opening week. Second week won't be pretty though.

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/shin-meg...ux-japanese-box-art-limited-edition-announced

Makes me really happy if the game does well, even if it's only the first week.
This game really deserved a second life and more recognition.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they tell us on Monday that they upped shipments to 15 million for the FY or something!

Reggie at least expects to hear something:

Fils-Aimé says that the company has made changes to its supply chain to improve the situation, and notes that we'll likely hear more on the subject next week, when Nintendo announces its financial results. "I expect that our chief executive Mr. Kimishima will comment on this," he says.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/26/16553374/nintendo-switch-supply-reggie-fils-aime-interview

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Cant wait for Switch and Mario Odyssey numbers next week...
I have a good feeling about Mario but we will see

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Mario games: A Comgnet comparison + first week sales (Media Create)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 {2010.05.27}
Comgnet final preorder points - 313pt
First week - 339,901

Super Mario 3D Land {2011.11.3}
Comgnet final preorder points - 262pt
First week - 343,492

Super Mario 3D World {2013.11.21}
Comgnet final preorder points - 66pt
First week - 99,588

Super Mario Odyssey {2017.10.27}
Comgnet final preorder points - 207pt
First week - ?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bundles will mess with the COMG pre-orders. We could see 80-100k units of software in bundles for SMO.

Also. Freedom.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Great to have you here Vinnk,
The anecdotes you provide are absolutely amazing.
Had a question about eShop Point Cards, do you think people are using them for eShop titles that are cheap or retail games like Splatoon 2?

Based on nothing more than the few students I know who have the Switch, I am guessing it's Minecraft. Since there is no physical, if they are playing it they must have bought eShop points. My guess is for full games people are buying the game specific cards (then no leftover points) because those cards are more prominently displayed at stores.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Takashi Mochizuki tweets that according to Macquarie "SMO could sell 10M by March, based on it's own survey with Switch owners. 92% answered they would buy it" https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/923691069232914432

If this last piece if info also applies to JPN, as of now we could expect sales of about 1.75M copies of SMO O.o

Geez. That would be outstanding if they can swing a 90% attach rate. Granted, the supply won't be there for awhile.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Those Comgnet numbers are just for the separate game, not the bundle?

I still think it could beat 3D Land, but it'll be tough.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Geez. That would be outstanding if they can swing a 90% attach rate. Granted, the supply won't be there for awhile.

A game with an attach rate that high, this late (after the launch window), would be unprecedented in Japanese sales. Even massive hits like Wii Sports and Splatoon 2 are not at 90%. I think a lot of people will buy the game, but as soon as used copies from the bundles hit the used game shops the chances of it going that high decrease a lot.

Would love to see it though!

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Really good for atlus

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
Segata the legend
banderas.png

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: The following is regarding KT's just released quarterly earnings results and only the Japanese release has statements regarding how things went for the quarter.

Japanese release of Quarterly results:

https://www.koeitecmo.co.jp/ir/docs/ba3ad35f585b71e684157f0a6cf609ed54f1409c.pdf

The English site only has numbers, no comments:

https://www.koeitecmo.co.jp/e/ir/docs/FH_FY172Q.pdf

Otherwise, this is what has been mentioned so far:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/923746595295731712

Koei Tecmo: Steam's attractive, will release multi-platform games whenever possible; Switch biz very long-tail, would make multiplayer games

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/923747133819305984

Koei Tecmo: in Steam, sales "skyrockets" when launch campaigns, to pursue the platform aggressively.

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo are down YoY on net sales for Entertainment (Video Games) but up YoY on operating income for Entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.