• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this count as a pac man or just a giant circle? Wonder if we'll see bigger numbers smash week.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Three points:

1. I'm surprised the rest of Switch software didn't do better considering the 200k number.

2. The Switch has a good chance of outpacing the Wii before the end of this year according to hiska's chart there.

3. Will be interesting to see if Switch stays above the 145k it did last year for next week.
I think your first point could be explained by the assumption that the vast majority of the hardware buyers came for Pokémon, and relatively few for the Smash bundle.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do consider the Let's Go result very interesting.
In terms of software numbers, how is that not a disappointing number? Talk about install base all you want, a Pokemon game should blow past the likes of Splatoon and 3D Mario easily.
However, it did its job in terms of pushing hardware very well. I find that so interesting that it moved hardware very significantly but it didn't do particularly great numbers (for Pokemon) for people who already own the hardware.
I just hope the people who bought the system contibue to buy software on Switch and aren't just buying it for Pokemon
I think disappointment is only something that can be said relative to the company's own estimates. The number looks disappointing when taken in a vacuum but it's a title that was likely made on a much smaller budget and also to predominantly drive hardware, which it so far seems to have been exceptionally successful doing. I'm sure Nintendo would've loved if the game performed as powerful as some previous titles, but as far as they're concerned they're probably happy with the actual results, and I can't imagine the legs will waver that much. That they're basically positioning this off of the back of Smash shortly after the fact suggests they're well aware LGPE alone wasn't going to be the kind of solo driving force you'd expect from a new generation title.

If Gen 8 had these numbers, then they'd probably start being concerned.

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First week ever Nintendo Switch over perform.. Nice to see.

PLG got the FW sales that the kind of game it is deserves, i am expecting strong legs for this one since it's not selling to the usual Pokemon game audience.

PLG>250k week 47

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Nobody is gonna convince me that NSO hasn't hurt Splatoon 2's legs.
I know it's been out for a minute and saturation is a thing but it should have easily done 10-15k+ in a week like this. It should not be below Mario Kart at the very least

Well I was one of the few that shared this opinion a couple threads ago but I don't think this week is an outlier in any way especially as it got a bigger increase, relatively, than all the others evergreen titles.
Mario Kart is also nothing to scoff at, it sold 4M on DS close to 4M on Wii and below 3M on 3DS, so far it's also tracking way better than 7 so we're looking at a game that still has 1.5-2M remaining sales at least.

But yes Splatoon 2 sales have slowed down, slightly.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty impressive hardware sales, I wonder how many weeks in the next month+ Switch can continue to see over 200k weekly sales, and if it runs the risk of being sold out if that number is too high (I sure hope not).

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. Big jump for Switch hardware. Let's Go sales a bit disappointing but I reckon this one will have much longer legs than the core Pokémon games since it's aimed at the more casual crowd.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why are people saying Splatoon holds the record for best FW when Pokemon actually beat it?

01./00. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 648.085 / NEW

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
What is the % of first week Pokémon games relative to other hardware install bases at the time? I feel like that should be the barometer to look at with slightly lowered variance due to this game being non traditional.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Well damn... 200k for Switch??!

600k for Pokemon is great to, how does this compare to Sun and Moon??

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I was one of the few that shared this opinion a couple threads ago but I don't think this week is an outlier in any way especially as it got a bigger increase, relatively, than all the others evergreen titles.
Mario Kart is also nothing to scoff at, it sold 4M on DS close to 4M on Wii and below 3M on 3DS, so far it's also tracking way better than 7 so we're looking at a game that still has 1.5-2M remaining sales at least.

But yes Splatoon 2 sales have slowed down, slightly.
Can I make a crazy theory

What if battle royale games, mostly mobile, had a bigger impact on Splatoon 2 sales than NSO? Knives Out, PUBG mobile and Fortnite all are out now and available for smartphones + also are free.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Weekly retailer hints vol.1

Pokemon appears to have very good word of mouth and a strong hold at its second week. If weekend is also good it should sell big amounts in holidays. Hype for it exploded 2-3 weeks before launch, it was literally dead before then.

Battlefield V had a good opening. This and more days on sale make a 100k opening very possible.

Smash bundles are available, Pokemon have almost disappeared after Let's Go launch and Nintendo didn't restock yet.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Those numbers confirms what I said in the other thread. It seems "non-traditionnal gamers" were the ones buying the game the most. Because for such HUGE increase in hardware, there wasn't any big spike in the the Switch software sales. Meaning those "non traditional gamers", just bought the Switch for Let's Go.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pokemon appears to have very good word of mouth and a strong hold at its second week. If weekend is also good it should sell big amounts in holidays. Hype for it exploded 2-3 weeks before launch, it was literally dead before then.

Battlefield V had a good opening. This and more days on sale make a 100k opening very possible.

Smash bundles are available, Pokemon have almost disappeared after Let's Go launch and Nintendo didn't restock yet.
Yeah this trend is right in line with what we have been hearing everywhere. Soft pre-orders, minimal interest in the run up to launch, solid debut, exceptionally strong word of mouth. Hopefully strong hold, as you said.

Wasn't that USUM?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting, Pokemon might continue to drive additional hardware next week then?

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Switch doing amazing. I wonder how long it'll take before it surpasses PS4's LTD sales.
At this rate it won't take long. Very impressive. Although not too surprising, given the fact that Japan loves Nintendo and handheld consoles.
The Switch seems perfect for Japan, except maybe the higher than normal pricepoint (as a handheld alternative). Nintendo releasing great game after great game helps as well :-)

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is very promising. The games have resounded better with audiences than I would have expected even a week ago.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Holiday shopping season is beginning and Smash is coming soon, it's not only Pokemon.

Well from this week's result it looks like a lot of the hardware buyers are specifically buying it for Pokemon, since the other evergreens are getting more muted bumps.

Of course hardware sales will be high for a variety of reasons but a lot of the hardware seemed to be specifically correlated to Pokemon buyers, and I'm curious if that will remain high in the coming weeks with the great WoM.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Those numbers confirms what I said in the other thread. It seems "non-traditionnal gamers" were the ones buying the game the most. Because for such HUGE increase in hardware, there wasn't any big spike in the the Switch software sales. Meaning those "non traditional gamers", just bought the Switch for Let's Go.

Sw spikes usually happens the subsequent weeks and not the same week a big game is released. See what happens when Splatoon and Odyssey released.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good opening for let's go eevee/pikachu, wonder how it compares to spinoff sales.
Decent opening for fallout 76, a bit surprised myself by the numbers since it is an online multiplayer shooter. Wonder if its sales will continue in following weeks.
Unfortunately low opening sales for hitman 2.

Switch hardware sales seeing a massive increase, probably with the let's go bundles helping out. Ps4 sales down.
Good week for switch hardware, and I wonder if a retailer holiday discount could help with ps4 sales.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Let's Go Pokemon games are all about moving the Switch HW not so much breaking software records.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, but it did better than Splatoon?

Media Create
Code:
01./00. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 648.085 / NEW

01./00. [NSW] Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Eevee! # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2018.11.16} (¥5.980) - 661.240 / NEW

Sure, not by the amount most of us (including me) expected it to outsell Splatoon 2, but it's still a new record nonetheless.
We already talked about this in the last few pages, but I got confused because of the 670K from Famitsu for Splatoon 2. Smash gonna dethrone both LGPE from Media Create and Splatoon 2 from Famitsu next month anyway.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Game Freak will still insist that Let's Go is mainline when the game fail to reach the mainline audience. The best that can happen to this game is that it's clearly targeting casuals so it should perform strongly this December.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah Let's Go Pokemon games are all about moving the Switch HW not so much breaking software records.

Yep both this and getting people onboard with the Pokemon IP that either never played the games or are lapsed fans so that Gen 8 can sell to an even wider audience next year.

I wonder if Game Freak will still insist that Let's Go is mainline when the game fail to reach the mainline audience. The best that can happen to this game is that it's clearly targeting casuals so it should perform strongly this December.

Well seeing as it's on track to double any "spinoff" game, and is performing like a mainline game in the UK then yes I believe they will continue to call it a mainline game as that is what it is.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1 thing I just remembered regarding Pokemon LGP/E, Switch is the most expensive hardware, by a significant margin, a Pokemon game has ever launched on.
Most Nintendo handheld is sub 20000 yen.
So maybe LGP/E driving this much hardware sales is a very strong result.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu & Eevee compared to:

X & Y: -64.6%
ORAS: -56.2%
SuMo: -65.1%
USUM: -43.1%

But as said earlier, the core fans tend to buy the games on Day 1, and LGPE appeals more to the 'casual' fans and kids than the core RPG fans, so legs should be fine, especially since word of mouth is well.

---

How big of a share does that Smash preload bundle have in the Switch hardware sales? Significant enough, right?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Splatoon 2 will probably inch its way to 3m eventually given the legs its had. Is it the biggest console game in Japan in years? I feel like the FF and DQ games were the only to approach that number and they've fallen off.

Well, things to bear in mind include that SuMo opened to a massive install base, versus LGPE opening to the smallest install base the series has ever opened to.
I assume the price point was at least $20 higher and often more if people got the Pokeball accessory. That plays at least some sort of role. For comparison, people could buy both 3DS games for less than the cost of the game plus the ball.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
First week sales (Media Create)

Pokémon X/Y - 1.866.570 units (3DS weekly: 213.570 / 3DS LTD: 13.223.532)
Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 1.508.665 units (3DS weekly: 88.653 / 3DS LTD: 17.036.780)
Pokémon Sun/Moon - 1.893.387 units (3DS weekly: 107.631 / 3DS LTD: 21.520.967)
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - 1.163.003 units (3DS weekly: 43.480 / 3DS LTD: 23.533.118)
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Let's Go, Evee! - 661.240 units (NSW weekly: 200.850 / NSW LTD: 5.601.957)

LTD sales as of W52 of launch year

Pokémon X/Y - 3.726.596 units (3DS LTD: 14.661.920)
Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - 2.483.344 units (3DS LTD: 17.838.445)
Pokémon Sun/Moon - 3.269.287 units (3DS LTD: 22.160.745)
Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - 2.047.550 units (3DS LTD: 23.822.779)
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Let's Go, Evee! - ???

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Can I make a crazy theory

What if battle royale games, mostly mobile, had a bigger impact on Splatoon 2 sales than NSO? Knives Out, PUBG mobile and Fortnite all are out now and available for smartphones + also are free.
Could be both
I feel the fact that sales are clealry not performing like they were before NSO launched seems pretty obvious but we should wait for holidays to see if those numbers boost up again.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Why do people keep saying Let's Go is driving hardware sales, are they unaware that the Smash bundle also went on sale at the same time? Without a break down of bundle sales at best we can say Smash and Let's Go are driving sales.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying Let's Go is driving hardware sales, are they unaware that the Smash bundle also went on sale at the same time? Without a break down of bundle sales at best we can say Smash and Let's Go are driving sales.

It's fair to say Let's go was a bigger part considering the relatively small bump of the evergreens.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

No major bump of core software. Pokemon was the only thing selling and no major uptick of smash preorders.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Hardware sales went up the weeks before Let's Go launch. Evergreen sales didn't get a huge boost this week.