OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
So now we have moved from 2019 to 2020 for Capcom's inevitable Switch support? That's the best that could happen, one more year without Monster Hunter talk.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why this expansion is seen as bad news for Switch. If they're developing something for it, this will have no impact anyways.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't worry guys, maybe Bamco will port God Eater 3 to switch next year

and there's always Dauntless!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The date of that expansion puts a MH game in Switch as unlikely unless extremely late. With how Capcom has supported the Switch it makes sense though.

So basically, expect no AAA games from any Japanese 3rd parties. MH was tje only one that could have happened and that's pretty well done.

Anyway, what are yall expecting for Switch hardware this week? 200k?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
MH on Switch (and Switch in general) isn't part of Capcom's strategy moving forward. They are fine forgoing that market to have a single framework of development (PS/Bone/PC as a single plateforme).

Switch will get the odd 10 years old port here and there and that will be prety much it (or a few upressed 3DS games)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't Capcom make a MH exclusive game for Switch when they sell what, 3-4 million copies of it in Japan alone and Switch level of hardware development costs are probably 50+% less than on PS4/XB1. They'll save a lot on not having to market the game to the West too.

There's no reason Capcom can't make MHW2 and a lower budget Switch exclusive MH game using souped up 3DS assets. Generations looks fine graphically on Switch imo.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
The real issue is not MH. Not KH. Not RE. Not anything.

The real issue is.... Aikatsu....

Bamco where is Aikatsu Switch. Where is it!?

:wrathful:

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There was another time a preliminary Monday report had leaked some time ago but it wasn't so early and I don't remember for which game. From what I get hardware bundles are included in the 1,3m but are not safe estimates and that number could change a bit when final numbers are out.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
The date of that expansion puts a MH game in Switch as unlikely unless extremely late. With how Capcom has supported the Switch it makes sense though.

So basically, expect no AAA games from any Japanese 3rd parties. MH was tje only one that could have happened and that's pretty well done.
Yeah it seems like Nintendo is pretty much on their own for core games, working out deals like Demon x Machina and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
They'll be able to get titles that can be ported without much problem (like some of SE and BN games), but this isn't the case with what Capcom's doing right now with the likes of RE2r and DMC5.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
People still expecting a MH game on Switch. lol

Reminds me of Vita.
You going to eat those words when the next Direct has a Switch port of Monster Hunter Stories coming in late 2020.
What are the next big switch games for Japan? Animal Crossing and what?
New Super Mario Bros U DX in January, Yokai Watch 4 is an unknown that should still do relatively well in terms of the Japanese market if not the series, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3 (I'll leave it here considering the last game almost sold a million), Pokemon 2019, and to a lesser extent Fire Emblem, Yoshi, and Inazuma Eleven Ares.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't Capcom make a MH exclusive game for Switch when they sell what, 3-4 million copies of it in Japan alone and Switch level of hardware development costs are probably 50+% less than on PS4/XB1. They'll save a lot on not having to market the game to the West too.

There's no reason Capcom can't make MHW2 and a lower budget Switch exclusive MH game using souped up 3DS assets. Generations looks fine graphically on Switch imo.
I don't really think Switch development is that cheap. Making a ground up Monster Hunter game for Switch would still probably cost a butt ton of money.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it seems like Nintendo is pretty much on their own for core games, working out deals like Demon x Machina and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
They'll be able to get titles that can be ported without much problem (like some of SE and BN games), but this isn't the case with what Capcom's doing right now with the likes of RE2r and DMC5.

As far as Japan is concerned yeah. Even in the West the Switch is getting stuff like Doom, 2K, Fifa and Mortal Kombat 11.

Pretty wild how much worse Japan is.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I really don't want daemon x machina to bomb. That's the kind of support I wish developers were more encouraged to do for switch; not to mention it looks really unique and fun.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want daemon x machina to bomb. That's the kind of support I wish developers were more encouraged to do for switch; not to mention it looks really unique and fun.
The name is pretty weird and the graphics, while nicely stylized, likely won't sell people.

Looks cool but they'll need to do more than a standalone direct to sell it to people

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, what are yall expecting for Switch hardware this week? 200k?

Level 5 might be the only third party to have a domestic million seller on the Switch and even that's not guaranteed.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I don't really think Switch development is that cheap. Making a ground up Monster Hunter game for Switch would still probably cost a butt ton of money.

It would take three Switches undocked and one Switch Pro docked to reach PS4 base level, give or take 1 vanilla undocked Switch if you're ok with XB1 performance level unsteady framerate and lower resolution/draw distance.
By these calculations Monster Hunter Sword/Witch (dual versions) would be 78.7% of dev cost of MH:W, but with 4.7M expected domestic sales at a higher RRP than previous handheld entries and 2M projected sales WW (NA+EMEA).
On the plus side Nintendo takes up publisher duties and limit marketing/investment/test/localization costs, on the minus side they'll take an expected average additional 10% fee on each copy on top of the usual average hardware fee (Nintendo being less aggressive on that one)

Oh and did you hear, Capcom fucked up Panta Rhei apparently.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people expecting MHP5 in 2019 or never? Generations didn't come the year after MH4 did either, Ultimate did.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Last year around this time, there were ridiculous Monster Hunter discussions.

I was hoping for this year to be different, but Capcom ruined it....

Last year around this time there were ridiculous Switch isn't getting any 3rd party support discussions.

I was hoping for this year to be different, but Capcom ruined it.