• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, according to Nintendoeverything NISA has sent out a PR announcing The Lost Child is coming to Switch. Weird that they didn't announce it in the stream if so but that means Kadokawa is bringing two of their games to Switch now.

I doubt it'll come to Japan as well, since the original release did low numbers (around 6-7k between PS4 and Vita), I doubt there's that much ROI you can get from such a late port. Both The Longest 5 Minutes and Penny Punching Princess aren't getting a Japanese Switch release either, and those are games with similar debuts.

Then, again, a game that debuted at 44th in its first week on the market like Birth Days is getting a Switch re-release in Japan as well, so...

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I'm concerned with regards to Kirby is that the preview build was bad.

The preview build had absurd load times and that's really bad in a platformer. There's speculation that the terrible load times were because the preview build was just random levels stuck together with loading screens, but we'll have to see...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it'll come to Japan as well, since the original release did low numbers (around 6-7k between PS4 and Vita), I doubt there's that much ROI you can get from such a late port. Both The Longest 5 Minutes and Penny Punching Princess aren't getting a Japanese Switch release either, and those are games with similar debuts.

Then, again, a game that debuted at 44th in its first week on the market like Birth Days is getting a Switch re-release in Japan as well, so...

True, but they could always try and trick people into thinking it's SMTV. :P

NISA loooovvvvves them some Switch. Will be interesting if their interest helps spur along low tier Japan pubs

I think it has with their JP partners(like Kadokawa here). Also notable was that SNK said SNK Heroines was already in development before they added the Switch SKU(how is that possible!?), but they also implied Arcade Archives played a role in convincing them to support Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I'm concerned with regards to Kirby is that the preview build was bad.

The preview build had absurd load times and that's really bad in a platformer. There's speculation that the terrible load times were because the preview build was just random levels stuck together with loading screens, but we'll have to see...

I'd be surprised if it's still a problem at launch. It's supposed to be a tiny file size so there's not much to justify long loading times.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think it has with their JP partners(like Kadokawa here). Also notable was that SNK said SNK Heroines was already in development before they added the Switch SKU(how is that possible!?), but they also implied Arcade Archives played a role in convincing them to support Switch.
SNK also confirmed they have more games planned for Switch than just SNK Heroines.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Generally optimization is one of the last parts worked on in a game.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was a PSP game.

Also, it's not a bet "against" anything. It's just a prediction based on known data and market signals. Maybe MHW will surprise us and it will be a long, long seller. Chances are small, though.

Yes, I read it too quickly as MH3. I didn't understand why you kept focusing on 3DS titles like that, but it wasn't the case.

I don't think the chance are small at all. In order to reach 3M in Japan, it just needs decent legs, not astronomical legs. The game sold 2M in japan in three days from what we can gather at the moment, it crushed the previous japanese success story in three single days (Splatoon 2). Getting 1 million more through legs isn't something out of this world, especially for a title like this.

If we take your conservative estimation of current sales - 2.6M - the game needs to sell 400 000 more copies through legs. It isn't that hard to reach. 5 more month at 80k will do it. Or something like 100k + 90k + 80k + 70k + 60k over 5 month. It doesn't seem like mission impossible to me, especially with the huge digital numbers. If the next weekly numbers are something like below 100k, it will needs more month but it's still reachable easily imo.

Known datas and market signals (I'm not sure what you mean by that), won't be of great help here. MHW is clearly its own beast and is known to crush almost any expectations.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
And I read some genius declare that MHW will never outsell Splatoon 2. Some genius.

Splatoon 2 will have plenty legs, but when console bias colors objective quantitative analysis it's a farce.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
And I read some genius declare that MHW will never outsell Splatoon 2. Some genius.

Splatoon 2 will have plenty legs, but when console bias colors objective quantitative analysis it's a farce.

Are you talking Japan, world wide, what exactly? Splatoon is going to keep selling for years.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, what about the mobile version of Snack world ?
lol
In the site for the 3DS version, in the very bottom of the page, there is a little image talking about a 2018 release for the mobile version. My speculation is that, given the fact that L-5 is much more eager to promote the Switch version is that they will only show the mobile one after releasing the Switch one, and that they will probably make it based on it instead of the 3DS version like it was shown originally.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby is going to sell 600k+. Labo could do anywhere from 300k to 2000k. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is most likely 300k+. Mario Tennis Aces is most likely 300k+. Mario + Rabbids will sell 300k. Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 DX, and Super Mario Odyssey will all have 500k+ sales in the first half of the year. Snack World will most likely do 200k+. DQ Builders and Dark Souls 100k+.

The Switch will definitely be parched for software in H1.

he's been saying that about H1 software for months. just ignore it.

well according to era, Kirby is an overpriced platformer that sells to casuals regardless of quality and not core people, so....by that metric I guess it'll be fine lol.

edit:
for some reason I'm kind of worried about DK. I think it'll do more than 100k, but I dunno....something is putting me off on going for 300k.

halvvapoori

Oct 25, 2017
Amsterdam
Some interesting Fire Emblem Heroes info
https://sensortower.com/blog/fire-emblem-heroes-first-year-revenue

"Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes is the Kyoto-based gaming giant's most successful mobile game to date, earning an estimated $295 million in worldwide player spend during its first year of availability, according to Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data."
It's good to see FEH performing so well considering the franchise and Nintendo's other efforts on mobile. Also interesting to note is that 59% of the revenue comes from Japan while 41% is from overseas (specifically 29% for the US and 12% for other). I would've expected the share for the US to be bigger so maybe Nintendo/IS can work towards for its second year.

What's up with the hostility lmao

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
he's been saying that about H1 software for months. just ignore it.

well according to era, Kirby is an overpriced platformer that sells to casuals regardless of quality and not core people, so....by that metric I guess it'll be fine lol.

edit:
for some reason I'm kind of worried about DK. I think it'll do more than 100k, but I dunno....something is putting me off on going for 300k.

I can't really think of any major roadblocks for this game selling 300,000 eventually. The game is excellent (or at least has an excellent reputation, I didn't play it much on Wii U), they're addressing a major criticism and making it more accessible with Funky Mode, and we have a somewhat recent example of a game in the series doing 300,000 with Donkey Kong County Returns 3D. I think it will get there without much trouble.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Yes, I read it too quickly as MH3. I didn't understand why you kept focusing on 3DS titles like that, but it wasn't the case.

I don't think the chance are small at all. In order to reach 3M in Japan, it just needs decent legs, not astronomical legs. The game sold 2M in japan in three days from what we can gather at the moment, it crushed the previous japanese success story in three single days (Splatoon 2). Getting 1 million more through legs isn't something out of this world, especially for a title like this.

If we take your conservative estimation of current sales - 2.6M - the game needs to sell 400 000 more copies through legs. It isn't that hard to reach. 5 more month at 80k will do it. Or something like 100k + 90k + 80k + 70k + 60k over 5 month. It doesn't seem like mission impossible to me, especially with the huge digital numbers. If the next weekly numbers are something like below 100k, it will needs more month but it's still reachable easily imo.

Known datas and market signals (I'm not sure what you mean by that), won't be of great help here. MHW is clearly its own beast and is known to crush almost any expectations.

It depends on how it keeps dropping. Next weeks' behavior will be telling.

As for known data and market signals: typical drops of previous entries, tiny installed base, etc.

The fact that MHW crushed previous expectations doesn't mean that we can't predict anything else based on information that we have available. That's pretty myopic and kills any discussion about the game.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
How many of the 116.000 people who bought PowaPro on PS3 in 2016/2017 can we expect to have made/will eventually make the leap to a newer platform?

I wonder how many of these people will buy/have bought a PS4, how many a Vita, how many a Switch, and how many nothing? The mobile PowaPro game is doing well, isn't it? How many console players do we think has Konami lost to its mobile game?
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 also launched with Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball: Success Special at PS Store.
PS3 version is absent and Vita has taken the path to irrelevance since some time ago.
Since 2016 topped half million across all versions, 2018 will need PS4 to make up for a big part of lost sales.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 also launched with Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball: Success Special at PS Store.
PS3 version is absent and Vita has taken the path to irrelevance since some time ago.
Since 2016 topped half million across all versions, 2018 will need PS4 to make up for a big part of lost sales.
But my question basically is: how will Konami keep those PS3/PSV players of Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 engaged over the coming years?

Have those people bought a PS4 in the meantime (or a NSW for a future game? Who knows...) or did those people shift toward JPPY Ace on mobile? How will Konami keep those players engaged?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
But my question basically is: how will Konami keep those PS3/PSV players of Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 engaged over the coming years?

Have those people bought a PS4 in the meantime (or a NSW for a future game? Who knows...) or did those people shift toward JPPY Ace on mobile? How will Konami keep those players engaged?
I guess we'll see what will happen and very soon.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think the lack of a Switch version will hurt Powerful Pro 2018 immensely.
Konami filled a gap on Switch with Super Bomberman R and they could do it again with this game since Pro Yakyuu Famista from Bandai Namco hasn't been announced for it yet. In absence of that series and being a handheld version for a hot system, I think JPPY 2018 would have made some nice money from it.

I don't think Konami will care about it too much. I think they'll be happy with what they'll achieve on PS4/PSV (as long as it ends up above 400k, which I think will happen).

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Konami filled a gap on Switch with Super Bomberman R and they could do it again with this game since Pro Yakyuu Famista from Bandai Namco hasn't been announced for it yet. In absence of that series and being a handheld version for a hot system, I think JPPY 2018 would have made some nice money from it.

I don't think Konami will care about it too much. I think they'll be happy with what they'll achieve on PS4/PSV (as long as it ends up above 400k, which I think will happen).

I don't know if I see 400k happening honestly. Powerful Pro 2016 did a bit less than 500k when the PSV wasn't completely dead and the PS3 version was present. I can see the PS4 version going up from the last one, but even that isn't a certainty when we've had so many underperformers on the system lately (many of them family oriented). I don't think the PSV version will do much at all this time around, so the PS4 will have to carry the weight.

I think a Switch version for this specific game would prevent it from seeing a substantial collapse. Maybe Konami will add it later, but I'm kind of surprised it's not releasing day and date with the other versions after the huge success of Bomberman.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a Switch version for this specific game would prevent it from seeing a substantial collapse. Maybe Konami will add it later, but I'm kind of surprised it's not releasing day and date with the other versions after the huge success of Bomberman.

I am kind of surprised that you expected a NSW version. I mean this treatment is nothing new from Konami, they did the same with 3DS which only got one Powerful Pro game in late 2016.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't know if I see 400k happening honestly. Powerful Pro 2016 did a bit less than 500k when the PSV wasn't completely dead and the PS3 version was present. I can see the PS4 version going up from the last one, but even that isn't a certainty when we've had so many underperformers on the system lately (many of them family oriented). I don't think the PSV version will do much at all this time around, so the PS4 will have to carry the weight.
JPPY 2016 had the 16th best FW and 15th best LTD of any PS4 SKU released at the time, according to the GameDataLibrary, at 75.505 and 203.892.

Hardware
At the time of JPPY 2016's release, PS4's LTD was 2.777.073 and its YTD was 475.993. That was when the PS4 was on market for 114 weeks. That's 19.285 units per week on average from week 1-114.
Right now, the PS4's LTD is 6.401.139 and its YTD is 508.736 already (thanks to MHW ofc). We're at week 207 for the PS4 right now. That's 38.968 units per week on average from week 115-207. That's double!

Software
It's a shame that we don't have CY 2017 numbers yet. From CY 2015 to CY 2016, we have a PS4+PSV software sales increase with 30,8% from 10.320.207 to 13.496.599 (5.114.598 + 5.205.609 to 8.672.086 + 4.823.793). While the PSV declined very hard in 2017, I think the PS4 can make up for the PSV's share loss in 2017, considering the strong line-up of software (both multiplatform and exclusive).

So I think the position of the PS4+PSV combo is at least as good and maybe even better than in the Spring of 2016. We see a lot of hardcore exclusives struggle, but JPPY is a sports title, so it might appeal to more casual fans as well. The series has historically performed strongly. JPPY 2018 installment must sell 142.166 copies sold FW and 404.344 copies sold LTD in order to stay flat compared to JPPY 2016 on the same platforms. With the exception of JPPY 2014 (which was released when the PS4 was out for 8 months, but not on PS4), every installment since JPPY 2010 has been able to sell at least 300k copies across its two best-selling SKUs. So I think it'll be fine.

Bomberman and JPPY are very different games, but I still agree on this. There's a gap that Konami could fill with JPPY 2018 on the Switch. They better make sure they're on it earlier than Bandai Namco tho.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have numbers to back that up, do you?

Hum? I believe given current figures, it would be a matter of arithmetic.

MHW: 1.35+0.65 million = ~2mil.
MH4: 1.87+0.23 million = ~2.1mil.
MH3P: ~2.15mil. (no digital)

Unless my numbers are wrong? We'll also be able to confirm the famitsu estimates in March during the FY reporting. I don't know how accurate the 3DS eShop numbers are either in particular.

Beyond the first week, subsequent weeks I believe (though I'd have to double check the last few weeks back, so feel free to correct me) all remain outpaced fairly significantly by both MH3P and MH4 (and MHX?). Of course, as noted before, until we know how digital persists on PS4 past week 1, it will be difficult to judge.

So I think the position of the PS4+PSV combo is at least as good and maybe even better than in the Spring of 2016. We see a lot of hardcore exclusives struggle, but JPPY is a sports title, so it might appeal to more casual fans as well. The series has historically performed strongly. JPPY 2018 installment must sell 142.166 copies sold FW and 404.344 copies sold LTD in order to stay flat compared to JPPY 2016 on the same platforms. With the exception of JPPY 2014 (which was released when the PS4 was out for 8 months, but not on PS4), every installment since JPPY 2010 has been able to sell at least 300k copies across its two best-selling SKUs. So I think it'll be fine.

PSV feels/looks like more like a platform that has greatly lost its ability to move software. By April, it will probably be even worse.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
PSV feels/looks like more like a platform that has greatly lost its ability to move software. By April, it will probably be even worse.
Yeah, although most PSV games have been crappy running hardcore titles. A reasonably high-profile sports game is different, but I'm afraid the PSV version will do much less than the PS4 version. I don't think it will be negligible tho. A Switch version would've been welcome, probably, but my guess is the PS4 will cover the PSV's losses.

OutOfcontrol

Oct 29, 2017
Hum? I believe given current figures, it would be a matter of arithmetic.

MHW: 1.35+0.65 million = ~2mil.
MH4: 1.87+0.23 million = ~2.1mil.
MH3P: ~2.15mil. (no digital)

Unless my numbers are wrong? We'll also be able to confirm the famitsu estimates in March during the FY reporting. I don't know how accurate the 3DS eShop numbers are either in particular.

Beyond the first week, subsequent weeks I believe (though I'd have to double check the last few weeks back, so feel free to correct me) all remain outpaced fairly significantly by both MH3P and MH4 (and MHX?). Of course, as noted before, until we know how digital persists on PS4 past week 1, it will be difficult to judge.

That was two weeks of digital sales
We don't have any hard number to claim MHW above or under MH4 in the first week

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I love Gal Metal! , a good game for musicians but i'm not surprised by these M-C sales:
low preorders everywhere (GEO, ComG! and others)
not in GEO, Tsutaya, ComG! ranking sales...
not a "QTE" music game, very difficult if you don't know how to play the drums

It's not surprising but i love my game :]

and you Vinnk ?

So played it a few hours yesterday. Game is really interesting. Great style. But I never played an instruments and the game was REALLY hard for me. Took me an hour just to clear the tutorial. My wife used to play percussion she picked up the controller and more than doubled my top score on her very first try. So I get what you are saying, the game seems a lot better if you already have some musical skill. During the game you don't even have anything visually to guide you for when to play. You have to just know but the music. It's a fantastic concept but I cannot see it resonating with a lot of people. So even had they put some advertising behind this game, the sales probably would not have changed much. This is pretty much the definition of niche. Glad I bought it though.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

Wow did you had a bad day?

And as usual you don't understand how Nintendo games sells: Splatoon is gonna sell for years and there is no way Monster Hunter World beat it in Japan lifetime.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Splatoon 2 is only constrained by:
  • Switch installed base and
  • likelihood of a sequel.
As long as Switch keeps selling as it is selling and Nintendo doesn't plan an actual sequel then Splatoon 2 is comfortably a 3.5-4m game.

Now, it will be interesting how Nintendo will try to capitalize Splatoon success. Inklings in Smash porting/new entry are a given but I wouldn't be surprised to see a spin-off of some sort.

Bonk

Oct 25, 2017
Munich

It was stated in the relevant thread that the demo was build of sections from different worlds. That would explain why any pre-loading would not have worked. It should be expected that there is no problem when the sections are played in order and preloading if assets can be done.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
20k for Bayo is expected but still a bit disappointing.
I'm glad the game exists and there's more to come, but from business stand point, maybe Sega was right in thinking that there's no market for the series.
It'll be interesting to see how it fares worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.