• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Stinkles

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Megyn Kelly.

Having said that, I'm indifferent about things like Tropic Thunder and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Even if the intentions behind the usage of blackface in those properties aren't malicious, I think the overwhelming majority of audiences are merely laughing at the act - and the deeper meanings are completely lost.

I think you're right about the broad and deep general public many times, but in the case of both Sunny and Tropic, people watching those get it. Especially sunny. Now that doesn't mean they automatically stick their landings, but I give both audiences way more credit.

Her movie? Did she have anything to do with it at all?

Well, she was the subject matter (Bombshell)

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Fuck Megyn Kelly.

Having said that, I'm indifferent about things like Tropic Thunder and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Even if the intentions behind the usage of blackface in those properties aren't malicious, I think the overwhelming majority of audiences are merely laughing at the act - and the deeper meanings are completely lost.

I'm with you on this one. Also the "satiric" component in Tropic Thunder is overstated. It's less a clever skewering of race relations than it is shock comedy built off of a historically hurtful practice.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think you're right about the broad and deep general public many times, but in the case of both Sunny and Tropic, people watching those get it. Especially sunny. Now that doesn't mean they automatically stick their landings, but I give both audiences way more credit.

Well, she was the subject matter (Bombshell)
Yeah she was a subject but I don't know she was invested in the portrayal or project at all

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm with you on this one. Also the "satiric" component in Tropic Thunder is overstated. It's less a clever skewering of race relations than it is shock comedy built off of a historically hurtful practice.
Agreed, I just don't think it has any value. Some people watching are dumb, and I don't think any white people should be attempting to give commentary on blackface being bad by doing blackface.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Agreed, I just don't think it has any value. Some people watching are dumb, and I don't think any white people should be attempting to give commentary on blackface being bad by doing blackface.

Exactly. Like, watch Bamboozled if you're so inclined, but don't have big farty white guy simple jack comedy movies giving you the only social commentary in your moviegoing.

OP
OP
Stinkles

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she was a subject but I don't know she was invested in the portrayal or project at all

I don't know if it was cruel or sympathetic to her. On the one hand, she was a victim of serious sexual harassment - on the other, she completely threw all other victims under the bus in the wake of it by desperately making excuses for and trying to appease another credibly accused rapist - the president. And that's ignoring years of supporting an extremely anti-women cable network.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm legit shocked she didn't go after the Kimmel thing.

Everyone knew the movie was mocking the practice but it was mainly on actors going too far to be the role.

The movie was mocking it, Kelly DEFENDED it.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
leave it to conservatives to perpetually ignore context for their own convenience, or because they are that dumb, hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Megyn Kelly.

I think this happens with any media where the protagonists are bad people. Breaking Bad, Always Sunny, House, etc.... There's always a chunk of people who miss the point and think you're supposed to root for the MCs.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think this happens with any media where the protagonists are bad people. Breaking Bad, Always Sunny, House, etc.... There's always a chunk of people who miss the point and think you're supposed to root for the MCs.
Yes, so I don't think white people should add blackface roles to the list of things modern audiences misunderstood and thought was worth worshipping when they saw it and didn't get the commentary

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Anytime I hear that I point to blackkklansmen.

Yeah I mean the real reason that Blazing Saddles couldn't be made today is that it was a commentary on its era, and used a genre that was a lot more common about 50 years ago to do so. The modern equivalent to Blazing Saddles would probably be a deconstruction of right-wing and fascist imagery underpinning a lot of the superhero action genre; I'm thinking something like a funnier version of Watchmen.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah, im not a big fan of those examples even if you know, i like iasip. i think iasip especially kind of gets away with it because ostensibly these characters are like a diagram of how not to be

im not really gonna argue against someone who takes particular issue with the problematic aspects of it, but also im not going to listen to anything that comes out of the wellspring of stupidity that is conservatives

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking racist twit.

The same chud who who reassured children that Santa is white.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Megyn Kelly.

I can see how this would be the case for subtler instances, but for me at least I don't think they're problematic because in both cases they very explicitly call it out as being fucked up or ridicule the characters doing it. They don't necessarily rely on viewers to know the issues being it and glean the satire from that, they outright state the the fucked up nature, albeit in an overly dramatic fashion as satire tends to do

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know, right? Why does RDJ get to do it without consequences? Why wasn't there a actual black character constantly giving him shit for blackface throughout the entire fil-WAIT

giphy.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Tropic Thunder making fun of Downey's character and blackface?

Basically RDJ's character is so method that he can't physically stop doing it if he wanted to, despite the full knowledge that it's offensive. Even after apologizing he's still doing it

Last edited:

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just waiting for people to go after Topher Grace for the racist stuff he said in
BlacKkKlansman.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I still laugh at how people kept on throwing money at her thinking they could 'soften' her image. While the abuse she got was awful and underserved, it doesn't negate the bile she put out there for years while cashing a hefty check.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, so Megyn Kelly hasn't yet figured out that Tropic Thunder is making fun of people like her? Not surprised.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So for a bit of cross pollination RDJ was on The Joe Rogan shoe talking about the movie with the title of the video "could Tropical Thunder be made today".

I didn't watch but...yeah...

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
The entire point of that role is to be satire about people who think they are entitled to be able to wear that shit.

Congratulations you played yourself idiot.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People saying blazing saddles couldn't be done today are wrong, it could and it would be a lot more biting. You just got to have the right people involved. Jorden Peel for instance

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
yeah, im not a big fan of those examples even if you know, i like iasip. i think iasip especially kind of gets away with it because ostensibly these characters are like a diagram of how not to be

I was going to say "it's a little weird for IASIP to act like blackface is an issue that mandates taking a stand on, because the aspects of its offensiveness are pretty well-established at this point" and then I realized that the funniest thing the show could do on the issue is have them kick a fraternity out of the bar for celebrating MLK day or cinco de mayo a little too, uh, intensely. Like some "blackface and colonialist appropriation is so toxic even these complete shitheads with no sense of appropriateness or decorum know it's bad" punchline.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
seems like every few years someone digs out Tropic Thunder and is like "WOW CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS", it's always in bad faith, and it never works because a lot of people actually saw that movie and got the point.

People saying blazing saddles couldn't be done today are wrong, it could and it would be a lot more biting. You just got to have the right people involved. Jorden Peel for instance

That's always the go-to for "what couldn't be done today" for whatever reason (I think I know why), and it requires such an intentionally shallow spin of the film to make that statement about it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So for a bit of cross pollination RDJ was on The Joe Rogan shoe talking about the movie with the title of the video "could Tropical Thunder be made today".

I didn't watch but...yeah...

I subjected myself to that interview, and the point of Tropic Thunder's satire predictably went above Rogan's head, too. The idiot thought they were playing blackface straight and bemoaned "not being able to do blackface today," and you could tell RDJ was holding back, gently trying to correct him.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's right, broken clock etc. You don't get an automatic pass because you're claiming to be satire. Still gotta be good satire lol, and Tropic Thunder is like 1% actual discussion about blackface and 99% jokes about RDJ being in blackface.

Nov 16, 2017
Megyn wants to know why it isn't ok for her to suggest selling babies as food, but Swift gets praise for the very same proposal.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Wasn't Whoopi Goldberg's excuse for Ted Danson's blackface at her roast "satire and comedy"?

Just to add, as much as Megyn Kelly is an idiot, she might have a point in that I really doubt Tropic Thunder would get made today with all the blackface comedy in it. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.