• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WesWes

Apr 25, 2018
This is a quite a high profile and terribly worrying story that arose at the weekend over here in the UK of a missing woman in London.
The suspected involvement of a serving police officer has only come to light in the past 24 hours.

BBC News Article
A serving Met police officer has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the disappearance of Sarah Everard.

Ms Everard, 33, was last seen a week ago in Clapham, south London, on her way home from a friend's house.
The suspect, in his 40s, is an officer with the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, the Met said.
He remains in custody along with a woman, in her 30s, who was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.
Officers are currently searching locations in London and Kent including a property in Deal and an area of woodland near Ashford.

_117517412_missing_woman_south_london_v2_2x640-nc-2x.png

The arrested officer, who was not on duty at the time of Ms Everard's disappearance, was responsible for uniformed patrolling of diplomatic premises.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, this is just the most awful news. I know it's not definitive but man... that poor family.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
How awful for her obviously and the family.

Kudos to the cops for getting an arrest so quickly (especially as it's turned out).

Dec 2, 2017
It appears he's up on three charges. Indecent exposure, which is unrelated to the missing woman, then kidnapping and murder.

Manalicream

Sep 12, 2018
Such a horrible story. Very hard to contemplate. Must be absolutely awful for the family and those close to her.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Fucking hell. This is horrible.

Feel awful for her, obviously, but her family is going to have to talk to a lot of Metropolitan Police officers, and I can't imagine how much worse that's going to make everything for them.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
The conversation this has created with how women in general feel while out by themselves in public is heartbreaking.
I'm a man, and would never want a women to feel uncomfortable in my presence but reading and hearing the experiences they've had, I can't blame them if they ever have.
Toxic masculinity is such a widespread issue, we really need to re-evaluate how we can fix that.
No one should feel like that for just simply walking to their own home at night.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
The suspect was caught on a vehicles dash cam driving past the area she was walking which was also caught on a ring door camera.

God I love that we're a cctv obsessed country.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
The conversation this has created with how women in general feel while out by themselves in public is heartbreaking.
I'm a man, and would never want a women to feel uncomfortable in my presence but reading and hearing the experiences they've had, I can't blame them if they ever have.
Toxic masculinity is such a widespread issue, we really need to re-evaluate how we can fix that.
No one should feel like that for just simply walking to their own home at night.

Spot on. I'm a big guy and I think I've just got one of those faces/postures that appear menacing. I know it's not fixing the issue but I'm always conscious to cross the road, give enough room or something else to assure people and especially women. It's really a shame that that response to women is so instinctive.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
So he already was known for indecent exposure? How comes this becomes an issue only now that it's propably too late for a young woman? Why was he still in the force, was the Met okay with a perv guarding diplomatic posts?

Dec 2, 2017
So he already was known for indecent exposure? How comes this becomes an issue only now that it's propably too late for a young woman? Why was he still in the force, was the Met okay with a perv guarding diplomatic posts?
According to the article I've seen

"The man, in his 40s, was arrested on the evening of Tuesday, March 9 on suspicion of kidnap. Today, Wednesday, March 10, he has been further arrested on suspicion of murder and a separate allegation of indecent exposure."

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Absolutely horrifying. My girlfriend used to live and work in London as a nurse and regularly walked through the same common at 3am. Her best friend got flashed there too. Cant imagine what the family must be going through

Dec 2, 2017
The police officer arrested on suspicion of murdering missing Sarah Everard has been taken to hospital with head injuries, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
Wayne Couzens, 49, was injured during his second night in custody where he is being questioned over the alleged kidnap and murder of Miss Everard.
He was rushed to hospital with head injuries but after being treated by medics was discharged and returned to custody.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment to a head injury sustained while in custody. He has since been discharged and returned to custody."
There is no suggestion anyone else was involved in the incident and it is understood the matter has now been referred to the Department for Professional Standards.
Suspects in custody are carefully monitored to ensure they do not harm themselves while they are being held.

very strange.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
They better release his full complaint and disciplinary record during the investigation or trial. We need to see how many warning signs was the Met aware of before Sarah Everard paid the price.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
:/

Tragic. I can't imagine feeling that unsafe/out of place by default at night, even just outside of your own home.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty well known to prepare for among women. Poll your friends and see how many of them walk with their keys between their fingers, for example.

Dec 2, 2017
The police watchdog has launched an investigation into whether Metropolitan Police officers responded appropriately to an allegation of indecent exposure made against the suspect held over Sarah Everard's disappearance.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said the investigation followed a conduct referral from the Metropolitan Police (MPS) in relation to two officers, received on Wednesday.

The watchdog said the referral was linked to another four, "all connected to the arrest of a serving MPS officer on suspicion of kidnap, murder and a separate allegation of indecent exposure".

In a statement, the IOPC said: "Our investigation will look at the actions of the MPS after police received a report on February 28 that a man had exposed himself at a fast food restaurant in South London.

"On Wednesday we determined that two conduct referrals relating to kidnap/murder and indecent exposure allegations against the arrested officer should remain under local investigation by the force.

Dec 2, 2017
Human remains found in a woodland in Kent are those of Sarah Everard, police have said.

The 33-year-old went missing in south London on Wednesday 3 March while walking home from a friend's house.

A serving Metropolitan Police officer has been arrested on suspicion of her murder.

news.sky.com

Sarah Everard: Body found in Kent woodland is that of missing woman, police confirm

A serving Metropolitan Police officer remains in custody on suspicion of kidnapping and murdering the marketing executive.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
While this murder by a police officer will be a one off (hopefully), guaranteed it's going to expose a whole bunch of systemic failures. No way he did this without reasonably thinking he could get away with it

RIP

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to a pretty big reaction generally to this case. It could be a good thing to come out of this, potentially to bring some change. Not sure why it's this case in particular that sparked it when so many similar cases have happened before.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
The way the reports are all describing it as if it's going to take a while to confirm whether or not the body discovered is Everard makes it sound like the body is in very bad shape.
It has already been confirmed? Look three posts up.

Absolutely fucked situation and espeically troubling as someone who lives in South London.

Last edited:

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Heartbreaking story but probably more heartbreaking is women speaking out about how it's not fair that they can't feel safe doing something as simple as walking home alone. It's good that this conversation is blowing up in the U.K. (for example on Radio 1 newsbeat they spent more time on that than the actual murder) but it makes me so angry that this is the situation.

I don't personally know anyone who cat calls or harasses women or anything like that, because I'm not friends with scumbags, but on a night out they are everywhere. It's totally normalised and even people who seem nice in real life can be total dickheads when they've had a drink. And whenever you chat to women about it they just say how dealing with men getting touchy feely is just a normal thing you have to deal with. Like.....what the actual fuck,

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Heartbreaking story but probably more heartbreaking is women speaking out about how it's not fair that they can't feel safe doing something as simple as walking home alone. It's good that this conversation is blowing up in the U.K. (for example on Radio 1 newsbeat they spent more time on that than the actual murder) but it makes me so angry that this is the situation.

I don't personally know anyone who cat calls or harasses women or anything like that, because I'm not friends with scumbags, but on a night out they are everywhere. It's totally normalised and even people who seem nice in real life can be total dickheads when they've had a drink. And whenever you chat to women about it they just say how dealing with men getting touchy feely is just a normal thing you have to deal with. Like.....what the actual fuck,

Yeah, it's been eye opening - but it's also astounding that it is eye-opening when it's something that's obviously so prevalent.

I just read this piece by Marina Hyde which was illuminating in that regard:

www.theguardian.com

What happened to me was nothing – the nothing women know all too well | Marina Hyde

At 4.56pm on a spring afternoon, countless women in the UK were being harassed on the street. It turns out I was one of them, says Guardian columnist Marina Hyde

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yeah, it's been eye opening - but it's also astounding that it is eye-opening when it's something that's obviously so prevalent.

I just read this piece by Marina Hyde which was illuminating in that regard:

www.theguardian.com

What happened to me was nothing – the nothing women know all too well | Marina Hyde

At 4.56pm on a spring afternoon, countless women in the UK were being harassed on the street. It turns out I was one of them, says Guardian columnist Marina Hyde
What the fuck is wrong with people.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Either his cop buddies are fucking him up (possible and wrong even in this circumstance) or other shenanigans are going on. Either way a better explaination needs to be there besides 'head injury'.
He could be smashing his head on the wall or something. He'll know that prison won't be good or him.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Spot on. I'm a big guy and I think I've just got one of those faces/postures that appear menacing. I know it's not fixing the issue but I'm always conscious to cross the road, give enough room or something else to assure people and especially women. It's really a shame that that response to women is so instinctive.
i've thought about this a few times over the years.

I'm tall and broad. I imagine, day or night, to some people I will look intimidating and I espcially imagine at night in a quiet area that a woman on her own would be very intimidated and I completely understand it.

If me moving back or crossing a road or whatever helps her feel less threatened, I'll do it.

I wish it was as simple as those things though, but it's unreasonable to expect women to have to be the ones to do the unreasonable things they're asked to do under the guise of "staying safe". This is going to require more than just doing the right thing as individuals though. Men need to be responsible for the actions of men around them too.

People scoffed at the 6pm curfew for men and said it was ridiculous, but asking women to walk longer routes to get home, to carry keys in a fist, to take taxis on 10 minute walks, to avoid taxis and getting the bus, wearing flat shoes.... that's pretty fucking ridiculous.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing a lot of 'here's how men should change their behaviour' type lists on social media which are great and well-intentioned but that's the bare minimum we should be going for - the issue speaks to the status quo of what it's like living under the patriarchy which is going to take more than some blokes crossing the street to dismantle. I guess it speaks to how many men are genuinely oblivious to the lived experience of women that this is where the conversation is at right now.

Boys aren't born as predators - it's learned. We need better accountability between friends and family. Also ACAB and all that.