• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Should have taken it down to 85.

This creams out stellar games like Horizon Zero Dawn that didn't hit 90.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Having a score to evaluate a game's quality and then a badge that does the same thing and is entirely based on the score seems kind of redundant to me.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Yes, this travesty. Just look at all that trash in listed in the OP. Clearly metacritic is an awful metric by which to judge games.

When people get so invested in a MetaCritic score they go on dozens of pages arguing about whether a game should be 89 or a 90, when developer's bonuses are withheld because they were 2 points away from a 90 (on a 100-point scale, which means they missed the mark by 2%), when posters use the MC score to prove a point, yes it is trash and awful.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Put all the bagdes you want, just use another term. Even RT avoids expressions so derogatory for those not getting any recognition.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol Metacritic can go fuck itself.

This will just fuck over more studios, like what happened with Fallout: New Vegas

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
When people get so invested in a MetaCritic score they go on dozens of pages arguing about whether a game should be 89 or a 90, when developer's bonuses are withheld because they were 2 points away from a 90 (on a 100-point scale, which means they missed the mark by 2%), when posters use the MC score to prove a point, yes it is trash and awful.
Bonuses being withheld if one potential troll review gives a or 3 or 4 and holds a score from 90 is shitty.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First post nailed it, again.

I can't believe there's still cash bonus on MC/GMRK score. They should check sales, not scores.
Because the dev team can't control sales very well, but they have more control (albeit not absolute, particularly if it's an experimental or divisive concept) over the quality of the game, which MC scores usually roughly represent. You have exceptions like the Wonderful 101, but it's generally a decent metric of quality.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Thank goodness for the badge - now I won't even have to read the numerical score to know what game to play.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Studios closures due to not getting the Metacritic "Must Play" bonus.
this happens already with score requirements for bonuses

I don't see how adding a badge to a score is going to make things worse

also, surely the blame for those situations should rest on the publishers, not metacritic

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
lol i guess dead cells on pc or ps4 is not a must-play, nor is divinity os2 on xbox

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of this, but MC wants this as it drives traffic to their site. This is their version of Certified Fresh.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

I bolded all the parts that are an issue with people choosing to respond to metacritic scores in a certain way that are not inherent issues to metacritic scores themselves. How is it a MetaCritic score's fault gamers are hysterical manchildren when a thing they like is criticized or judged more negatively by someone else?

If your issue is entirely the studio bonus issue, advocate for better workplace policies and worker protections - don't yell at numbers. Publishers would just immediately pick a new metric to base bonuses on anyway. It has nothing to do with metacritic.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Opencritic's system is great, 84 or more is regarded as the top tier and you get a little message underneath saying "X is in the top Y% of games reviewed".

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I got the feeling it's going to make things worse for devs, as publishers will want that badge now.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say alot of games in the mid 80s range are must play as well.

This won't go well.....

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
it seems pretty pointless to me, but i even disagree with the concept of "must play".

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they are gonna go down this route just make it 95 or higher, so many games get above 90 it's not even really that big of a deal. For me there are certain games I will make myself try even if I suspect they aren't for me, because the reviews and word of mouth are exceptionally high. I see those as 'must plays', but God of War would be an example of this and that only got a 94.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Review aggregators continue to be a blight on the entertainment industry

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when nier went from 90 to 89 because some blogger heard he had to play it five times and slammed the game?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at metacritic scores bring any sort of indication for"must play" games...

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic is horrible. They selectively weigh certain publications higher than others, and omit respectable reviews for the sake of it.

Their scores are manufactured...and even the scores themselves are nebulous and vary for each reviewer.

I really wish they would get rid of score aggregates and focus exclusively on aggregating links to reviews. They're actively hostile to the game industry and tactics like employing a hard cutoff of 90+ only make it worse.
Thank god for opencritic cutting through the bullshit and giving us the real scores oh wait they're virtually indistinguishable from MC scores.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Spiderman, Yakuza 2, Horizon, and DQ11 are not must plays lol

I don't like this badge thing at all

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, if consumers didn't lived or died by it then none of this would've happened.

Look no further than all the review thread people are making over here or the importance Rotten Tomatoes is given.

Thankfully more website are getting rid of scores which is pretty great.

The people who take part in that are part of the problem. It's a vicious circle that needs to be broken.