RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So I should hold off on getting this for the Steam Deck right, there are a bunch of issues? I imagine it will be on sale relatively soon anyways

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Making the player climb up to the control room 4 times to put in the PAL key sure was an interesting design choice. There must have been some other way to pad for time.

Apr 2, 2020
Anyone here have the PS5 and PC version for comparison? I'm curious about how the 720p upscaled image looks on console vs PC for MGS2+3 and if the audio issues are just as bad on console. Specifically, 3 because the mixing is so loud, I have to turn my PC volume down to 10 for it to be ok for me. Also wondering how haptics are used on the dualsense for the games.

Oct 28, 2017
Making the player climb up to the control room 4 times to put in the PAL key sure was an interesting design choice. There must have been some other way to pad for time.

In retrospect yeah. I think Twin Snakes had a good compromise. There's a little hidden area where you can just shoot canisters and the card will change. Saves a ton of time.

Nice secret area for those that already played the game and want to skip backtracking.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, got my first stutter on MGS2 (PS5), thought the game was about to crash for a moment. Was so focused on getting the node I completely forgot about, well, other guards.

View: https://streamable.com/wmdbhb

Wonder if anyone else here has had something similar.

Don't forget backtracking to get the PSG-1, to return to the Comms tower, only to sent immediately back to the first area anyway.

I love MGS1, but there's no denying it has its fair share of padding.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I just got to that part lol. It's not too bad, but definitely a bit odd.

EDIT:

I think I just accidentally found out that holding the shift key in MGS1 on PC speeds up the emulator. Left the game running out of focus while I was typing on here and heard the audio speed up as I typed. Went back to the game and held down the key, and sure enough, it's doing exactly that.

Saved me some time while waiting for the PAL Key to freeze at least lol

Oct 28, 2017
I just got to that part lol. It's not too bad, but definitely a bit odd.

EDIT:

I think I just accidentally found out that holding the shift key in MGS1 on PC speeds up the emulator. Left the game running out of focus while I was typing on here and heard the audio speed up as I typed. Went back to the game and held down the key, and sure enough, it's doing exactly that.

Saved me some time while waiting for the PAL Key to freeze at least lol

Yup! Shift speeds up the emulator. I wish you could toggle it or change speeds. Alas I'm happy it's there at least lol.

Edit also speeds up codec if you're curious.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Yup! Shift speeds up the emulator. I wish you could toggle it or change speeds. Alas I'm happy it's there at least lol.

Edit also speeds up codec if you're curious.
Doesn't just speed up the game, it also speeds up the collection's pause menu. If you open it and hold in shift, it speeds that up-- you can see the glow over your selection move faster, and the framerate seems to fully uncap (went up to around 144 for me).

I'm pretty sure they didn't intend to leave that feature in, but I am glad it's there lol. Comes in handy when playing all sorts of older games on emulators. I'm sure it'll be patched out though.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017

One of the few times while playing through MGS1 where I wish it was the Twin Snakes version where you can get all the keys done so much quicker.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Credits on MGS1. Quick summary of thoughts:

The story and cinematography is still just fun. Some dialogue bits are a bit overly dramatic or plain weird (otacon suddenly quoting Hemingway? sure why not) but overall I really enjoyed going through it all again for the first time in 10 years.

The gameplay is...okay? The boss fights are as awesome as theyve always been, but the general stealth gameplay is super barebones. Playing without the radar required constantly going into first person view to check for guards and the fixed camera often lead to being spotted for me. And god, the sweetspot for choking guards without causing an alarm is unnecessarily tight. Good thing there were only like 10 or so rooms that even required sneaking, I guess.
The backtracking sours the pacing a lot for me. I really don't mind that this is a shorter game, I would not have minded cutting out the backtracking as well.

Music: no notes. Just great.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Gotta be honest, I've never played this series before so even in spite of 720p and 30fps on Switch, I'm really excited to play these.

Vaern

Fallen Guardian
Jan 9, 2023
I'm sure this had to be posted, but is this bug that common? This looks like a Youtube Poop with the sound going bad.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW54Hi0pB4k

cover5.jpg

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Anyone else too scared to play these releases atm, in case you hear something unexpected soundwise at a critical point in the story. Maybe like a chipmunk or camel farting? Come on Konami suprise me!

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Aaand that's a wrap on MGS1. Glad to finally be able to say that I've played through the original and not just The Twin Snakes... and also glad to be done with it, because the last hour or two really frustrated me. It's probably just a skill issue on my end, but damn, the fight against REX and the final escape sequence kinda fucking sucked. I eventually realized you could aim in first-person during the escape sequence, which helped a lot, as did eventually figuring out how to cheese REX by hiding under it. But it was frustrating until then.

The story was still great though, and I love how the game looks. And the music was fantastic the whole way through. Loved how they sprinkled snippets of The Best is Yet to Come throughout the game, and saved the full version for the credits.

Probably gonna move straight on to MGS2, which - like the rest of the series - I haven't really played much of in the last decade.

0ebVKRf.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Potatoe laptop and Sons Of Liberty looks and runs great on my tv. Doing a full playthrough with all cutscenes for the first time in years and im delighted.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Streamer I watch sometimes canceled his playthrough because of supposed input lag in MGS1? Haven't heard anyone complain about that before. Anyone tested this yet?

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Streamer I watch sometimes canceled his playthrough because of supposed input lag in MGS1? Haven't heard anyone complain about that before. Anyone tested this yet?
I can't really compare it to any other way of playing MGS1, but I didn't have any issues with input lag on PC. I just finished my playthrough a little while ago and it seemed fine to me. (But maybe it's worse than playing on PS3 or on a different emulator? I dunno.)

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason blood is censored in the german version of MGS1.

www.youtube.com

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Vol. 1 - PS5 - Gameplay Deutsch - Part 6

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Vol. 1 - PS5 - Gameplay Deutsch - Part 6#metalgearsolid #metalgear #snake #mgs #konami

youtu.be

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Vol. 1 - PS5 - Gameplay Deutsch - Part 4

METAL GEAR SOLID - Master Collection Vol. 1 - PS5 - Gameplay Deutsch - Part 4#metalgearsolid #metalgear #snake #mgs #ps5

It looks like the genome soldier was so terrified of the ghost he saw he wet his pants.

Theory over on reddit was what happened, was Konami might have had a cut German version of MGS1 that was submitted to the censor boards in the 90's for approval, and the censor boards basically said "This is fine, you can have red blood.", and the German version was released uncut. However, when Konami was putting together the collection, they accidentally picked the German ISO that had this never-before-seen censorship applied.

That's interesting, I wonder if that is the only difference.

PS1 discs have what looks like a date located in them at a fixed location (hex offset 9645 in a disc image). If it is a date then the retail German disc has "1998-11-30", whereas the German disc that is included in this collection has "1998-12-17". So it does appear they are using a previously unreleased German version of the game in this. All of the other European disc images included would seem to match their retail releases.

Unfortunately the disc images included with this are altered in such a way that they cannot boot in a regular emulator, so you can't just rip this version out of the collection as a means to access this previously unreleased version (they strip out things like the main executable - possibly because they're replacing this as a way to alter some parts of the game like the button prompts, or perhaps as an anti-piracy measure). Perhaps someone can piece back together the missing parts if they really want to preserve this outside of the collection.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I can't really compare it to any other way of playing MGS1, but I didn't have any issues with input lag on PC. I just finished my playthrough a little while ago and it seemed fine to me. (But maybe it's worse than playing on PS3 or on a different emulator? I dunno.)
Streamer was probably just being a baby and looking for a reason to have Gamer Outrage, I guess. Many always are. Literally haven't seen anyone else mention input lag.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Yeah I noticed my analog controls are sluggish. Video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BpGfTlAWUo

This isn't normal is it? I don't remember MGS having this in the past.

EDIT:

Quite a few references to input delay in the PC thread. Also this video from a day ago mentions it.
www.youtube.com

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 - PC / Steam Analysis

The first volume of the MGS Master Collection was released today on PC, featuring MGS1 through 3, as well as the MSX games. It's a bit of a mess. This video ...

4IX7Ykml.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So if I only buy MGS1, do I access all the other bonus content like artwork and history stuff? Or do I need to own 2 and 3 to access their respective items?

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So if I only buy MGS1, do I access all the other bonus content like artwork and history stuff? Or do I need to own 2 and 3 to access their respective items?
If you buy MGS1, you get:
  • MGS1 (+ Integral + VR Missions)
  • The Master Book for MGS1
  • The Screenplay Book for MGS1
  • Metal Gear + Metal Gear 2
  • The Master Book for MG1 and MG2
  • The Screenplay Book for MG1 and MG2

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Yeah I noticed my analog controls are sluggish. Video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BpGfTlAWUo

This isn't normal is it? I don't remember MGS having this in the past.

EDIT:

Quite a few references to input delay in the PC thread. Also this video from a day ago mentions it.
www.youtube.com

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 - PC / Steam Analysis

The first volume of the MGS Master Collection was released today on PC, featuring MGS1 through 3, as well as the MSX games. It's a bit of a mess. This video ...

4IX7Ykml.png

Whoa okay yeah in that video I can see it. I might load up my PS1 Original and compare. When I searched Google I found threads from past releases saying it too and people saying it was always there. Definitely need to check.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Omg Johnny what have they done to you.

56sOo9yl.jpg

So funny story behind this. Everyone saying MGS1 is now censored? It's the opposite.
The underwear was in the Japanese release. For the US and EU release, they added pixels on top of it, which had a side effect of making him appear to be naked. So everyone wanting the "original" back is basically asking for the censored version back lol.

...I'm one of them. The pixels were funnier.