Varia suit

• Metroid / Metroid 2: Return of Samus (NES/GB)

Votes: 26 2.4%
  • Super Metroid (SNES)

Votes: 215 19.5%
  • Metroid Fusion (GBA)

Votes: 62 5.6%
  • Metroid Prime 1/2/3

Votes: 261 23.6%
  • Metroid Other M/Smash 4 (Wii/Wii U/Switch)

Votes: 56 5.1%
  • Metroid: Samus returns (3DS)

Votes: 66 6.0%
  • Metroid Dread (Switch)

Votes: 419 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I think Prime 2 is my favorite but Super and Samus Returns are close. Dread is definitely my favorite of the non-standard designs.

It's beating a dead horse by this point but Other M's is so, so bad. It's even worse in context because Samus clashes so hard with everything else in the game. Like any of the shots where she's standing next to Galactic Federation troopers or Adam or MB or whatever just look terrible. She looks like a toy. It also led to us getting one of the worst Amiibos of all time when it came to her Smash 4 incarnation (seriously what the fuck is going on with that pose?). They made a couple tweaks in Ultimate that made it look better but it's a shame that it's still so closely tied to Other M's look.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
They're all great except for the Fusion suit. I guess I need that orange and those giant shoulders.

Dread's gravity suit is the best gravity suit for sure though.
Fusion's varia suit is the worst suit in all of Metroid.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hot take (maybe not): The Light Suit from Echoes. I love how alien it looks.

Lightsuit.jpg
the best metroid keeps winning.
IMO: It's Metroid Prime. It's the most grounded and well balanced one. Dread comes in second though.
yeah basically this. super is very close

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I really dig the white of her Varia suit in Dread. It might just be that.

Featured-Metroid-Dread-How-to-unlock-the-Varia-Suit-in-Metroid-Dread-900x506.jpg
Yeah I'm scared to get whatever suit upgrade comes next because this is gorgeous

(But realistically any white suit in Metroid's levels is getting wrecked by space dust, slime, blood and goop)

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Super for me. I like the more gender neutral look. Other M wanted to do a sexy Samus, even her walking animation showed that, and I hated it. I like Dread but I can't get over the boots, i don't like them.

What about the other suits you acquire in game OP?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know it's the new kid on the block but I think it's Dread for me. There's something about the more in your face colour scheme that does it for me. That's the one thing I actually like about fusions suit too...sadly they want all organic with the shapes which ruins it.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I listed a bunch of my favorites, but those top 3 spots are pretty interchangeable as I like them all very much.

Prime 3 Varia
SR Gravity Suit
Light Suit / full PED Suit / Dread Gravity Suit
Super Varia
Garbage
Fusion suit
The bottom of the goddamn mariana trench
Other M suit

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised Samus Returns isn't more popular. It's not super different than Prime's (for obvious reasons) but it's just so cool. The modern look of Dread's design is neat and works better when you can see all the little details, but I'm not a huge fan of the "tendons" that wrap around her suit. I think the bulky, sharply-angled suit looks best.

Some of her non-classic suits are really cool too, but I'm not familiar with them all. The Light Suit is a good one.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
The tweaks put in the Smash Ultimate design make it my favorite, but I also really like Super's Varia and Dread's blue/white has grown on me.

Samus Returns is my least favorite, the shoulder pads reached a laughably large size and there's this weird giant screw looking thing in them? Her visor is a bit too agressive looking, kinda like angry boxart Kirby lol

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Samus' varia suit pops in Prime 2, so that's my pick. plus as one of the few people who seems to really like the Dark Suit, the game gets 3 strong and distinct looks
Though Dread's gravity suit is pretty swish

Bonus points to Samus Returns for getting me a better amiibo after I dodged the Smash/Other M amiibo for so long, patience paid off

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Dread when you get the Varia suit. LAWD is it good looking. Gravity suit isn't second bad here, though.

After that, it's Super for me, and then Prime.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
All of Dread's are great and I need figures of all of them.

Super's and Samus Returns' ones round out the top 3. Prime's is okay, as is Other M/SSB. Least favourite are Fusion's and the original.

I like what Fusion's is trying to do, but I don't like the result.

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
A million times fusion!
I love her hulking posture in-game.

Next best are all the earlier three.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
For the classic color scheme, I can't decide between Super, Prime 2 and Returns. I liek the chunky look and big shoulders :)

Dread is an incredible redesign tho, I love every suit in the game although the white/blue might still be my favorite.

Special shout out to that one cosplay-suit that actually gets the proportions right because that's how Samus could look like in real life

eend3brbkllue1axjt6e.gif

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Dread Suit and the variants are the best for me, but before that was the PED Suit from Prime 3 (which you actually spend most of the game in).
latest

Small shoulders, best shoulders

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Prime's looks really good for what basically amounts to a wearable tank in-game. Like you aren't doing a lot of acrobatic movements or zipping around at mach speed so it looks appropriately weighty and powerful. I personally love it but I think it works best for slower-paced games where you aren't seeing Samus a whole lot.

It might be because I'm still riding the high of how great the game is but Dread's looks like the perfect compromise to me for the most agile incarnation of Samus yet. It's sleeker than the originals', but not overly so like Other M's cheap happy meal toy of a suit. Plus the white is such a bold decision and it works perfectly. I think the Mega Man boots are the only negative for me but it's a nitpick.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still like Super (and Prime since it looks similar)
Worse of course is the "diving helmet" from fusion.
Dread is cool just get rid of the tacky "lightning bolts"

Oct 25, 2017
Super, Prime, and Samus Returns are all really similar except for some added flourishes.
Prime with the lights on the legs, and Samus Returns with the shoulder lights and different visor.
Even classic Samus is basically the same design, just not as streamlined.
I feel like there'll be a lot of crossover with the votes for those lol.

She basically just has the 3 major looks.
Classic, Fusion, and Dread.

I voted for Prime, but could've gone Samus Returns or Super.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
1-3 and Other M are pretty much the same which isn't too far off from Prime series. So it is really that suit, Fusion, 2 remake, or Dread.

Dread blue is GOAT.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
My problem with the Prime/Other M suit is that it looks like a toy.

I love Dread's and the ones from Super and Samus Returns

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
my ranking would be :
Prime (2 : Echoes, light suit specifically)
Metroid/Metroid II/Metroid III == Dread
Fusion
Samus Returns
(print enough . so that the page goes between the distance between earth and moon)
Other M
Metroid / Metroid 2: Return of Samus (NES/GB):
nes_metroid_yellow.png
latest

Super Metroid (SNES):
samus-aran.png
I hope I'm not the only one to realize that these are the same, right?

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
It's dread for me. Too many times in my several play throughs was I thinking "what an absolutely bad ass looking mofo". Then she tops it off with the sweet ass beat downs during those cut scenes? Hot damn.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
The Dread suit is fresh, but I'll need some time to decide if it's my favorite. Without a doubt the worst is Other M, the game's quality aside. I hate the smooth shoulders among other things. I wish Samus could have used the Samus Returns design in Smash Ultimate, but alas

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In general I don't really like Samus's default suit, though I do think it looks good in purple when you've got the Gravity Suit.

But Fusion... Fusion works for me. Good color scheme. Nice funky silhouette. Feels really alien in design, which is what I like to see.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
1. Super
2. Dread
3. Prime

I like how Fusion looks in-game, but not so much in concept art.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
For the classic color scheme, I can't decide between Super, Prime 2 and Returns. I liek the chunky look and big shoulders :)

Dread is an incredible redesign tho, I love every suit in the game although the white/blue might still be my favorite.

Special shout out to that one cosplay-suit that actually gets the proportions right because that's how Samus could look like in real life

eend3brbkllue1axjt6e.gif

Was legit pondering this. I know Samus looks like a normal person but I have always wondered if she is physiologically altered to fit in some the variation of her suit.

At times I have wondered whether under the suit, her shoulders are wide as Sachiel's (An Angel type from Evangelion). Looking at the cosplayer now though, I see it is possible for a typically shaped individual to fit in at least one variation of the suit.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I can't appreciate this hate on Other M's slick suit, but I appreciate the love that the PED suit is getting, cause that's a close 2nd for me.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Super comes in just ahead of Other M, for me. I like the sleekness of the Other M suit but the Super suit is my nostalgic favorite. Actually actively dislike the Fusion suit for being so lanky and the knee spikes on the Prime suit are a huge offender, for me. Jury is out on the Dread suit since it's not as weird as the Dread one but I haven't played it to form a strong opinion on it in motion, yet.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
I love original and Prime, but I think Dread nailed it. The various steps and suits throughout the game are stunning.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Honestly? I like Other M/Smash 4.

It's utilitarian (well, as far as the power suit goes) and isn't over-designed with ridiculous lights and unnecessary sharp angles. Although the Dread suit is really growing on me.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Dread look. I agree with everyone saying Dread or Prime.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I really like the re-imagine Power Suit in Zero Mission.

I'm actually not a fan of the bulky suits in general. I like it more when you can imagine a person inside. Prime suits are the worst for me for this reason (though I love the Prime games and MP1 might be my favourite game of all time).

Status
Not open for further replies.