• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Yo can we talk about how at 0:27 Samus does the charge beam spin attack into a dash melee and transitions into a run without losing any momentum

Damn, movement in this game is going to be something else.
TestyRecklessIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I feel like the existence of a commercial for any given game is probably less important than the number of ad buys and which timeslots on which networks. Or what YouTube/Facebook whatever audiences they are pushing to and again the size of the buys.

I personally don't even have an anecdotal clue because I AdBlock my media every possible way you can, but I am kind of curious.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I almost can't believe the marketing push this is getting. It's good to see, but I wonder why. I don't remember any Metroid game getting this kind of attention previously. I can't remember the last individual Nintendo game that had such a blitz. And it's clearly being poised to be the OLED switch's premier title. I hope that this enthusiasm is backed by confidence in the product.

My take is Nintendo has realized Metroid has the potential to bring a different audience than their other first party games, which is something they have been focusing on doing during the whole Switch era. They aren't all about family games anymore, they want to attract everyone, younger and older players, people who like Playstation and Xbox, people who like more "mature" action games, etc. Prime 4 has the biggest potential to do that and become huge between the FPS audience, so I think they're paving the way for that with Dread.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
My take is Nintendo has realized Metroid has the potential to bring a different audience than their other first party games, which is something they have been focusing on doing during the whole Switch era. They aren't all about family games anymore, they want to attract everyone, younger and older players, people who like Playstation and Xbox, people who like more "mature" action games, etc. Prime 4 has the biggest potential to do that and become huge between the FPS audience, so I think they're paving the way for that with Dread.
They have never not been doing that, btw. That is exactly what brought about them taking on the Zero/Fatal Frame series, the Pandora's Towers/Last Stories and the like. Bayonetta! All that stuff. That's not something they've only started doing with the Switch. It's something that only started WORKING with the Switch. Nintendo has never been "all about family games".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just a case of Nintendo doing ads that target the denizens of a video game forum.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
They have never not been doing that, btw. That is exactly what brought about them taking on the Zero/Fatal Frame series, the Pandora's Towers/Last Stories and the like. Bayonetta! All that stuff. That's not something they've only started doing with the Switch. It's something that only started WORKING with the Switch. Nintendo has never been "all about family games".

I felt people could read my post and understand I'm saying "Nintendo only did kid stuff before" but that's really not what I'm saying. I'm talking about them actively pursuing a more varied audience with their marketing campaign since the Switch. The Wii/Wii U era had a completely different marketing approach. The Switch is probably their console that has the most varied audience since probably the SNES, many game that wouldn't sell on the Wii/Wii U sell on the Switch, and Metroid is one such case.

Oct 27, 2017
I still think people are expecting 5 million copies sold are being a bit too optimistic. I say set the bar and 2 to 3 million cuz that would already be around the series height
Id love it to sell more ofc

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

Can I be nitpicky just this once and say I don't like the boxart of the game at all?

They could have gone with a clean all white background and Samus render. That red is way too garish.

But I understand it's one of those cases where they're marketing it to appeal to a mass audience and want the game to pop on the shelves.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Samus Returns really set the bar when it comes to combat in Metroid games, and now that we're getting it in 60fps with loads of QOL improvements, this is gonna be the best playing Metroid game by a long shot. I cannot wait to play.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I felt people could read my post and understand I'm saying "Nintendo only did kid stuff before" but that's really not what I'm saying. I'm talking about them actively pursuing a more varied audience with their marketing campaign since the Switch. The Wii/Wii U era had a completely different marketing approach. The Switch is probably their console that has the most varied audience since probably the SNES, many game that wouldn't sell on the Wii/Wii U sell on the Switch, and Metroid is one such case.
Nintendo always focuses on kids when they don't have a hit product (on the marketing side that is). It's a market they own. It's reliable income for them. They do reach out to a broader audience if they have a hit console and it's exactly why I like the Switch so much. A varied library is a must for me.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah, the only people that would get the Metroid Prime 3 Preview Channel were super fans that would have obviously bought the game regardless of what was shown. It was a fun thing for fans, but it did nothing to grab a new audience, and there was basically no promotion outside of it. They really did a poor job on Prime 3's marketing, odd considering they literally chose it to be the single first clip of Revolution / Wii footage ever shown.

Prime 1 and Other M were pushed more heavily, for instance.

Wow, reading that article is so depressing, but not shocking. Though it does seem mainline games get more of a push than Prime ones, at least generally speaking.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Preordered it last week as well as the Amiibos. Normally not an Amiibo fan, but I love my Metroid merch.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. That looks so clean.

Not seen anything like this in other Metroid entries.

Are we looking at a potential GOTY contender here?

I think it is, since this year is lacking a clear frontrunner for GOTY you will see a ton of games, more then normal, be a GOTY contender. There will be a ton of different games that will win GOTY awards this year. Just look at the opencritic page, there is not a single new game that scored a 90+ but a ton of games in the 85-89 range. It will be a huge and wide open field.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Paid my reserve in full at my local mom & pop store. They usually get Nintendo stuff in a day or two early, so if I can get it that Thursday, that'd be great.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Paid my reserve in full at my local mom & pop store. They usually get Nintendo stuff in a day or two early, so if I can get it that Thursday, that'd be great.
I ordered mine in person at a GameStop, and they were saying that they were expecting it to be pretty popular and that we might be able to pick it up Thursday night which would be beautiful

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered it last week as well as the Amiibos. Normally not an Amiibo fan, but I love my Metroid merch.

Same here, I have no interest in any of the Amiibo's otherwise.

I have Samus, Zero Suit Samus, & Ridley, they are the only ones I've been able to get my hands on so far.

I'm forever annoyed I missed SR Samus & Metroid Amiibo's. The current prices for either on eBay are ridiculous, I was hoping Nintendo would be releasing them to go with Dread, but I think I expect too much from Nintendo some times.

I've pre-orders the double Samus & Emmi of course so as not to miss out again, but typically they have been delayed a month in the UK.

Last edited:

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I've finished my replays of Zero Mission, Return of Samus, Super Metroid, and about a third of the way through Fusion! Pumped for Dread next week! Really hoping stores have some Special Editions for sale on release.

Well metroid 2 exterminated all but one (now gone) metroid and the 2D games have had to jump through loops to justify the series namesake since then.

I never really thought about how Super Metroid literally had a super sized Metroid in it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Well metroid 2 exterminated all but one (now gone) metroid and the 2D games have had to jump through loops to justify the series namesake since then.
Honestly they just should leave it as is and not worry about needing a metroid to justify the title
The Ys series has remained the name of the series despite Ys not being the setting of the game beyond the first 2 games and a prequel

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Can I be nitpicky just this once and say I don't like the boxart of the game at all?

They could have gone with a clean all white background and Samus render. That red is way too garish.

But I understand it's one of those cases where they're marketing it to appeal to a mass audience and want the game to pop on the shelves.
Yeah, I kinda like the Special Edition box art a bit better. That, or the Chozo one.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Since this game features Chozo, and Chozo created the metroids, them just making more wouldn't be a stretch.

There have been hints that there may be more metroids. We've seen some areas covered in webbing, which is something metroids do.
ktDluFY.png

TyRUcxp.png
LwVe2yH.png

Dboek4c.png

But this is in Dairon and really early in the game, so it could just be another creature that makes webs.

Last edited:

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Since this game features Chozo, and Chozo created the metroids. Them just making more wouldn't be a stretch.
I hope this doesn't happen, it would invalidate the entirety of 2, a big portion of super's plot, and it would undermine fusion's metroid cloning program. Having more Metroids available also completely nullifies the threat of the X.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When you think about it, it doesn't make much sense that the Space Pirates and Federation can't make more Metroids when both have access to the Metroid genome sequence.

Oct 25, 2017
So.....is AM2R worth playing then? Seems like it isn't among the best or anything but still quite good?

Metroid II and AM2R are the only 2D ones I haven't played and I've already tried Metroid II and decided there's no way....

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
How are we so close!! I can't believe it's finally happening.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So.....is AM2R worth playing then? Seems like it isn't among the best or anything but still quite good?

Metroid II and AM2R are the only 2D ones I haven't played and I've already tried Metroid II and decided there's no way....
AM2R is a great fan game. Have you played Samus Returns? They go for different approaches, but both are considerable improvements over the original Metroid 2.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

AM2R slaps. Quality of life options blow everything else in the series away, and it's super polished. A few of the bosses are a little out there in concept, but they're still fun to fight against. Level design and pacing are ace, and the soundtrack is pretty good (very Prime-like with some nice callbacks). I believe the creator was scooped up by Moon Studios (Ori series) shortly after AM2R released. The only real drawback is that the game doesn't push the series forward much in terms of base mechanics (it's really just a heavily plussed Zero Mission), and the Metroid fights can get a little repetitive, though that was also an issue in the original. If you like Metroid then I think it's a must-play. It's a little tough to rank for me since the structure is quite different than some of the others, but I think I like it about as much as Zero Mission (less than Super, more than the other 2D games).

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I was mildly hyped for this game when I pre-ordered it. After seeing all the trailers and marketing hype with 1 week to go, it's safe to say I'm super stoked and this is up there with SMTV as my most awaited game of the year. The last time I played a 2D Metroid was Fusion as a kid, that was almost 20 years ago...

Oct 25, 2017
AM2R is a great fan game. Have you played Samus Returns? They go for different approaches, but both are considerable improvements over the original Metroid 2.

AM2R slaps. Quality of life options blow everything else in the series away, and it's super polished. A few of the bosses are a little out there in concept, but they're still fun to fight against. Level design and pacing are ace, and the soundtrack is pretty good (very Prime-like with some nice callbacks). I believe the creator was scooped up by Moon Studios (Ori series) shortly after AM2R released. The only real drawback is that the game doesn't push the series forward much in terms of base mechanics (it's really just a heavily plussed Zero Mission), and the Metroid fights can get a little repetitive, though that was also an issue in the original. If you like Metroid then I think it's a must-play. It's a little tough to rank for me since the structure is quite different than some of the others, but I think I like it about as much as Zero Mission (less than Super, more than the other 2D games).
Ah didn't expect this positivity. Nice. I'll try and beat it this week. Assuming it's easy to find and download...

Any important tips? Like, is it frustrating or easy to get lost without the help of a guide at some point?

And yes I've played Samus Returns. Good game.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ah didn't expect this positivity. Nice. I'll try and beat it this week. Assuming it's easy to find and download...

Any important tips? Like, is it frustrating or easy to get lost without the help of a guide at some point?

And yes I've played Samus Returns. Good game.
It's easy enough on it's own. It doesn't get anywhere near as obtuse as say, Fusion does at its worst.

Try to track down the 1.5.2 version, too. It has widescreen and an unlockable Fusion Mode difficulty similar to the one in Samus Returns. However, there's a few key differences:

- When you defeat an enemy, an X parasite flies out of it that you can grab for HP/MP just like in Fusion. If you don't grab it in time it reforms into another enemy, again, just like Fusion.
- Certain bosses upon defeat have a new Core-X phase (again, like Fusion) upon defeating them. You can hit them normally instead of them only having an occasional weak point like in Fusion
- A certain late game boss in AM2R from Fusion has it's sprites changed to reflect it's design from Fusion.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

I think I would disagree with this personally, specially the bolded. Don't get me wrong, I don't think its a bad game, and for a fan made game its impressive, but its not super polished, and it has its flaws. Some of the big ones for me are the Metroid AI for everything from Alphas to the Omegas basically amounts to sit on Samus. Its not really challenging, just annoying. I also found the artwork that was either ripped right out of Zero Mission, or modified from it stand in contrast to the new art. There's this definite clash in the way some things look and move that do not fully mesh up. Finally I ran into some bugs that while not game breaking were definitely annoying. Like if you press a direction coming out of the menu or map too soon direction inputs stop working till you disconnect and reconnect the controller. Again I don't think its a bad game, and for a fan game its really impressive. I just don't agree with calling it super polished. Its good but not mind blowing.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think I would disagree with this personally, specially the bolded. Don't get me wrong, I don't think its a bad game, and for a fan made game its impressive, but its not super polished, and it has its flaws. Some of the big ones for me are the Metroid AI for everything from Alphas to the Omegas basically amounts to sit on Samus. Its not really challenging, just annoying. I also found the artwork that was either ripped right out of Zero Mission, or modified from it stand in contrast to the new art. There's this definite clash in the way some things look and move that do not fully mesh up. Finally I ran into some bugs that while not game breaking were definitely annoying. Like if you press a direction coming out of the menu or map too soon direction inputs stop working till you disconnect and reconnect the controller. Again I don't think its a bad game, and for a fan game its really impressive. I just don't agree with calling it super polished. Its good but not mind blowing.

I played it twice this year for the first time (on 1.5 and then again on the latest version) so I can't speak to any bugs that may have been around before that, but I didn't encounter any bugs personally. The Metroid AI is dumb for sure, though I guess I feel it's kinda appropriate since they're essentially just pissed off animals. Not a perfect game, but for a Metroid 2 remake more or less within the confines of what Zero Mission brought I don't really have any complaints. The level design and pacing are just about perfect for me.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Looks like a few people got their copies early. I'd bail from the internet now if you don't want spoilers.