Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looks much closer to super in terms of being less guided

But A leaker has beaten the game, if you want my description of the map
it looks very interconnected. Multiple paths in and out of each area and quite a few areas connect to three+ other areas.
Appreciate the vague description! Exactly what I was hoping to read, and not a detail more :D

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's mine 🙂
my-imageodkao.png
Federation Force is a bit too high but otherwise great job :)

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pinball is fucking great tbh, I'd easily put it the highest of the spin-off games

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder where Dread will hit on people's tiers? For those of you that have seen spoilers, but not played it yet, where do you predict it could land amongst your ranking? Just off hype and whatever marketing videos they've released, I could see it hitting the number 2 spot.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I wonder where Dread will hit on people's tiers? For those of you that have seen spoilers, but not played it yet, where do you predict it could land amongst your ranking? Just off hype and whatever marketing videos they've released, I could see it hitting the number 2 spot.
From what I've seen so far (Not as much has leaked as you'd think, honestly), I think it'll at least be a Zero Mission tier game for me, which is to say, right under Prime 1 and Super.

Jun 24, 2021
I'm a huge fan of Metroid and yet... I think Samus Returns looked butt ugly. I'm sure it was good but i hated the artstyle and I hated the 2.5D look with 3DS polygons. Which is huge seeing how much I love Dread's look. MercurySteam did a complete 180 with me.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Metroid and yet... I think Samus Returns looked butt ugly. I'm sure it was good but i hated the artstyle and I hated the 2.5D look with 3DS polygons. Which is huge seeing how much I love Dread's look. MercurySteam did a complete 180 with me.
I wouldn't say Dread was completely ugly, but it definitely did not look good. I'm not 100% sold on Dread's look, but thankfully it is way better than SR.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I think Samus Returns looked great!

...sometimes, at least. There's some places that look great. The opening area and the first major area look exactly as I would've imagined a remake would look, even compared to AM2R. Then the next few areas are whatever. Then Area 5 was great! And then the rest is kind of bland. Goes for Samus herself, too. The standard power suit looks great, but the green lighting on the Varia Suit is way too pronounced and throws the whole thing off. But then the Gravity Suit actually looks okay.

If nothing else, it's one of the better showcases of 3D on the platform.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
As said above, not much has been leaked. But what has has only reinforced that this game is going to be at LEAST better than Fusion and SR for me. It looks to improve on both of those games in absolutely crucial ways - the structure (less linear) and combat. Baring something completely unexpected I absolutely expect it to be better than those.

As for Super and ZM? I think the combat will for sure be better in dread. But as for what it takes to beat those - the quality of the level design itself, pacing, music, and atmosphere. I'm not quite sure on those aspects yet.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This may get me dragged but as for Samus Returns art style

it honestly reminds me of Prime a lot. I seriously don't get how one is so loved and one is so hated. Samus Returns has some gorgeous backgrounds

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

I think it has a shot of surpassing Super for me. If the level design is as great and the environments and atmosphere are on par, it could win because of the QoL stuff and more cinematic experience.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
This may get me dragged but as for Samus Returns art style

it honestly reminds me of Prime a lot. I seriously don't get how one is so loved and one is so hated. Samus Returns has some gorgeous backgrounds
honestly same

like there's obvious concessions due to the 3DS hardware and resolution but the game's pretty given what it had to work with, and is super atmospheric in spots

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how SR looks but I haven't played it.

I'm glad it exists because it helps softening the transition to 3D graphics, if Dread was the first 2,5 game I'm sure people would be a lot more bitchy about it.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't into SR's art design and general aesthetic at all. I tend to be pretty picky on 2.5D games though. Tropical Freeze is the only one I feel is pretty much perfection. But I am loving what I've seen of Dread. It just looks much more inspired and that it has its own identity. SR seemed more generic and like what an AI would generate as "Metroid locales"

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

I'm glad it exists because it helps softening the transition to 3D graphics, if Dread was the first 2,5 game I'm sure people would be a lot more bitchy about it.

I think dread's case it's easier because the animation quality in the game is as high as the 2d metroids themselves if not even higher (hell it might be the best animating game in the series outright). This wasn't really the case in SR.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

I think Returns looks much better in action but yeah Dread is a lot better visually

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, the game was just dumped to the public internet within the last hour or so and people have begun playing it, so if you really want to avoid getting spoiled, now is the time to start the social media blackout before some jackass ambushes you with the ending or something.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Same recommendation as the above, if you care about spoilers be careful.

The game has leaked and it works on both Ryujinx and Yuzu.

Going by the reports on discord the game has dynamic framerate so in the case of Ryujinx the game is playable at 4K with any framerate allowed by the Specs. I saw someone running the game at 150FPS

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere

Going by the reports on discord the game has dynamic framerate so in the case of Ryujinx the game is playable at 4K with any framerate allowed by the Specs. I saw someone running the game at 150FPS

People just can't help themselves, huh? Well I hope anyone doing that already has the game pre-ordered, or they're planning on buying a copy!

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

Nothing like people pirating a game in a franchise that's notorious for low sales leading to long breaks between entries.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Had a quick look at a youtube video of someone playing it and apparently, the intro and prologue don't work so... it's not like it's working flawlessly or anything.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like people pirating a game in a franchise that's notorious for low sales leading to long breaks between entries.
People who pirate the latest Metroid release - "Oh wow, it feels SO good to play a new Metroid title in ages. I am in heaven right now!"

Those same people who pirate the latest Metroid release - "What? Sales were lower than expected and we might not be getting another Metroid title for a while now? WHY!? Metroid Dread was OMG amazing! Now I'm sad."

My blood boils.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
If Ridley shows up in a Metroid Dread (pls dont have this happen ridley is played out as fuck)

73e020f56c4a86221823bc32113b4316d2-25-ben-affleck-sad-smoke.2x.w710.jpg

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
doesnt pretty much every switch game sell way better than its previous version? Im sure the Metroid sales are going to be way higher than the last few games

e: yeah, 2.8 mil is most it sold and even remakes on the switch that much

Last edited:

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Wondering whether anybody's going to Nintendo NYC to pick this up on launch night. They're not doing events due to COVID, but if anybody's going it'd be nice to have a little gathering.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People who pirate the latest Metroid release - "Oh wow, it feels SO good to play a new Metroid title in ages. I am in heaven right now!"

Those same people who pirate the latest Metroid release - "What? Sales were lower than expected and we might not be getting another Metroid title for a while now? WHY!? Metroid Dread was OMG amazing! Now I'm sad."

My blood boils.
What about people who preordered but don't get to play but pirates do?
It's the same tired argument with piracy all the time. Every single download is not a lost sale, and piracy on the switch is impossible now unless you have a launch model or a mod chip that got discontinued.
Not justifying piracy, but piracy having any measurable effect on sales is an old inaccurate argument.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What about people who preordered but don't get to play but pirates do?
It's the same tired argument with piracy all the time. Every single download is not a lost sale, and piracy on the switch is impossible now unless you have a launch model or a mod chip that got discontinued.
Not justifying piracy, but piracy having any measurable effect on sales is an old inaccurate argument.
I'm not into the piracy scene so I had no idea it was that difficult to pirate games for the Switch. That's at least a little relieving to hear.

Also, I find it funny every time I type out "Pirate" when referencing the Metroid series. I keep wanting to preface it was "Space", haha.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop just charged me for the special edition by the way so hopefully they ship out soon.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's mine, probably not exactly in line with most peoples here but oh well lol, it didn't have AM2R but it would be right behind Samus Returns.

U7xEUR5.png

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Having finish both metroid 1 and 2 I feel like they havent really aged that well. No map really made playing them not fun at all. I also really wasnt a fan of how any hit you received would push you back. It made the overall experience pretty frustrating in general. So far from the one Ive played Zero mission might be my favorite It might actually be one of the best remake ever made.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Having finish both metroid 1 and 2 I feel like they havent really aged that well. No map really made playing them not fun at all. I also really wasnt a fan of how any hit you received would push you back. It made the overall experience pretty frustrating in general. So far from the one Ive played Zero mission might be my favorite It might actually be one of the best remake ever made.
yeah there's no reason to play Metroid 1 & 2 besides mere curiosity when the remakes exist

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
While I have the Prime games sorted out, ranking the 2D entries feels like picking a favorite child. They all have different strengths and at any given time my mood will be for one in particular. Currently I'm playing through Super in anticipation for Dread. What a masterpiece.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked the 2D trilogy beat out the Prime trilogy in that other poll. I love both, but Prime Trilogy is like the peak of video games for me

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked the 2D trilogy beat out the Prime trilogy in that other poll. I love both, but Prime Trilogy is like the peak of video games for me

Little surprised, too, as someone who puts Super Metroid over any game period. Considering them as a set though, I find the Prime trilogy damn near unbeatable.