8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So I'm BRAND NEW to the Switch (getting an OLED on Friday). Would 128GB be decent for game storage? I know it only has 32GB internally, and I'm not looking to play too many games on my Switch (mostly just Metroid & Mario). Just don't know what game file sizes look like before I buy this memory card.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
If it's not 1080p docked I'll be pretty disappointed ngl. But very psyched for this and picking it up on Friday no matter what.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm BRAND NEW to the Switch (getting an OLED on Friday). Would 128GB be decent for game storage? I know it only has 32GB internally, and I'm not looking to play too many games on my Switch (mostly just Metroid & Mario). Just don't know what game file sizes look like before I buy this memory card.

OLED has 64GB internally, but that depends a lot on if you're going to buy downloadable games or not. They can go up to 16GB typically (a few are larger, but there aren't many of them). If not, 128 should easily last you for ages for whatever patches and DLC you end up getting.

Dread and Mario are both rather well optimised, the Dread filesize is only 4GB and the Mario 3D world port + Bowsers fury was only 2.9GB

Oct 27, 2017
if you're not gonna do much, 128 is fine. nintendo's first party games are tiny.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Oh great, so there's a not-insignificant chance that we're going to end up with a DS like situation where otherwise good software in the mid range ends up failing to meet expectations in the later half of the systems life because piracy becomes so ubiquitous, huh.

I am sorry to burst your bubble but Metroid is not the first time this happens, in fact it's every.. single.. release for most platforms for the last decade.

Even when the Gameboy Advance was out, games were online and playable on emulators on the same day, or before the release date.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

I thought that too initially but I've found out quickly that I'm addicted to the Switch's portability factor. Even though I still play 90% docked, it's just amazing to have the option when you're going on a trip or something like that. I almost always give preference to the Switch on multiplatform releases now (especially indies).

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
128GB is plenty fine for just some exclusives or if you mostly buy physical games. However, I'd highly recommend a 256GB card which you can find for $30-35 at Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Such a good price considering 128GB is still at around $20.

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
128GB is plenty fine for just some exclusives or if you mostly buy physical games. However, I'd highly recommend a 256GB card which you can find for $30-35 at Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Such a good price considering 128GB is still at around $20.
The onn. cards from Walmart work fine for the Switch and unlike with Amazon you don't have to worry about counterfeits. $16 for 128 GB, $34.64 for 256.

Ibrahim

Feb 1, 2020
I just get back from 4chan to find out about the resolution of the game.I didn't find anything but why everyone there calling each other retard?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has decided to be ever so generous and give us 64GB in the OLED. I would recommend you check the price diference between 128GB and 256GB...especially when there are sales the difference may not be big. In which case I'd recommend going for 256GB.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
The onn. cards from Walmart work fine for the Switch and unlike with Amazon you don't have to worry about counterfeits. $16 for 128 GB, $34.64 for 256.
Yeah, I personally always go with Samsung cards and avoid the common SanDisk ones from Amazon as those are usually the ones that come up in the counterfeit talks. Can't speak to how widespread those issues are, but the user reviews are there.

Never had any issues with EVO cards from any of the online retailers and the standard cards are competitively priced

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
I just get back from 4chan to find out about the resolution of the game.I didn't find anything but why everyone there calling each other retard?

Got the game and to my eyes the resolution docked is around 720p without any AA. It really does not look like 1080p but I could be wrong. The blacks are really deep on my oled tv so the switch oled may have been taken into account

Datrael

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my collector's edition. I thought the art book was gonna be game case sized. ITS HUUUUUGE. And super thick too.

Hopefully I can jump in and play in a bit,

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Just got my collector's edition. I thought the art book was gonna be game case sized. ITS HUUUUUGE. And super thick too.

Hopefully I can jump in and play in a bit,
THIS POST IS CAUSING ME PAIN!!@@

I've wanted a big Metroid artbook for sooooo loooong. 😭 Just a few more days. I really hope my package doesn't get destroyed while out in the wild.

Datrael

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
THIS POST IS CAUSING ME PAIN!!@@

I've wanted a big Metroid artbook for sooooo loooong. 😭 Just a few more days. I really hope my package doesn't get destroyed while out in the wild.
it's gonna be worth it!

I was able to play for like half an hour or so. Intense beginning.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did something I haven't done in ages: pre-ordered in store at GameStop. Hyped to drive over and pick it up on Friday.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
No spoilers please, but can someone tell me for sure if the game opens up eventually? Also, is the atmosphere on the level of something like Fusion or Super? Thanks!

Datrael

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
No spoilers please, but can someone tell me for sure if the game opens up eventually? Also, is the atmosphere on the level of something like Fusion or Super? Thanks!
I cannot answer your first question yet, but I can tell you the atmosphere feels very much like fusion to me. Obivously the graphics help the atmosphere too. I'm loving it.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I cannot answer your first question yet, but I can tell you the atmosphere feels very much like fusion to me. Obivously the graphics help the atmosphere too. I'm loving it.
That's very good to hear! Atmosphere is one of the biggest things to me in a Metroid game, so this is nice. It's the main reason why Zero Mission, despite being excellently designed (and still a fantastic game) is lower than Fusion for me.

Is anyone else able to say for sure whether or not the game opens up as you get further along?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure where I'd rank the game. Super Metroid still has the perfect world design and atmosphere so that is staying #1

The EMMI and the OST were definitely the weakest parts of the game for me.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
5 hours in and the music is unfortunately not getting better. the soundtrack could be the worse in the series :( Also the EMMI parts are not that fun. Still loving the basic gameplay loop outisde EMMI though. I love how the game map is really big and open and you still find your way through only with small hints. The stage design is really good.

Also I might have underestimated the resolution in the game. When zoomed out it looks higher than 720p (900 or 1080p) docked. It is just when the game zoom in, the models and the textures look really low res (much more like 720p than 1080). Could be an aggresive dynamic res but I doubt it considering my switch gpu is overlocked to 920 mhz.

Last edited:

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
5 hours in and the music is unfortunately not getting better. the soundtrack could be the worse in the series :( Also the EMMI parts are not that fun. Still loving the basic gameplay loop outisde EMMI though. I love how the game map is really big and open and you still find your way through only with small hints. The stage design is really good.

Also I might have underestimated the resolution in the game. When zoomed out it looks higher than 720p (900 or 1080p) docked. It is just when the game zoom in, the models and the textures look really low res (much more like 720p than 1080). Could be an aggresive dynamic res but I doubt it considering my switch gpu is overlocked to 920 mhz.
Would you say the game is worth standing alongside the other 2D entries so far? I'm bummed about the soundtrack, but that's the trend of the things nowadays. If they can create a good atmosphere without it, then I'm not worried. As far as the E.M.M.I.'s go I'll be a bit disappointed if they're not fun for me to play through, but knowing myself I'll probably have, at the very least, no standout issues with them (unless they get really annoying)

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the guy earlier in this thread who said that EMMIs were going to be a huge innovation for the entire genre. Lol

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
OLED has 64GB, Metroid is only 4gb I think.
Mario games are also fairly small in size, no more than 5gb I think.

Don't buy an sd card right away. Wait for some decent deal.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
not really excited to hear about the OST being lackluster. will have to hear for myself but man Metroid had some bangers in the past so if this falls flat it's going to hurt.

Was never excited about the EMMI from the moment they showed it off, just looked like a pain in the ass to me, so that's another wait and see on my end. sigh, Hope it's good otherwise, the videos showcasing movement looked awesome

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I haven't enjoyed a 2D Metroid OST since Zero Mission (which in itself is a remake), so this is par for the course for me lol. Fusion and SR had one or two nice tracks, but that was it for me.