EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The thing with the game's difficulty is every single encounter felt entirely fair, and is much easier to unpack and understand than the initial intensity presents. Difficulty is subjective and all that, but the actual encounter design and attack patterns are remarkably predictable and formulaic. And in a good way. Samus is always equipped with more than enough to conquer any scenario, and even the "harder" boss fights almost always only require one of her mobility or weapon functions to negate it. Rarely, if ever, does the game overwhelm you with multipronged attacks. Bosses just swap between attack modes one by one, and as long as you're conscious of the attack and how to best avoid or exploit it you're set.

The EMMI sections are the same. As I've said before, the game deceptively tricks you into thinking they're slow methodical stealth sections when in practice you're better off moving as quickly as possible and just being conscious of your location relative to the EMMI on the map.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Only need 3 more items in darion for 100 but I don't see any flash areas or incomplete rooms. Guess I have to look up a guide.
Almost every region has a hidden area that isn't on the map you download from the map station. Look for gaps in the map that look like there might be rooms in there and search the surrounding rooms for breakable blocks.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
What happens is really weird.

The floor seems to drop out from under Kraid and he hangs by his collar. One of the collar's cables snaps and he puts his arms out to hold on to the walls to keep himself up, but he slips and the other support on his collar snaps and he falls completely into the lava.

(Second boss) I think his knees his buckled. The restraints were probably weakened after he freed his one arm, which allowed him to throw his weight forward. So in his death throes, the remaining restraints came loose and allowed him to fall to his knees, and onto his stomach.

I'm more curious how the X reached his corpse under lava.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
(Second boss) I think his knees his buckled. The restraints were probably weakened after he freed his one arm, which allowed him to throw his weight forward. So in his death throes, the remaining restraints came loose and allowed him to fall to his knees, and onto his stomach.

I'm more curious how the X reached his corpse under lava.

The X likely had enough genetic material to work with simply from the belly spike embedded in the wall that Samus dodged before his death. This is even somewhat supported by the fact that this spike is gone specifically once the X are released from Elun.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Really not digging the whole EMMI mechanic at all. It brings a pace that I just don't care for in my Metroid. Stealth and instant death in my Metroid? Hard pass.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The X likely had enough genetic material to work with simply from the belly spike embedded in the wall that Samus dodged before his death. This is even somewhat supported by the fact that this spike is gone specifically once the X are released from Elun.

I don't understand, was there a second fight I missed somewhere? I don't recall seeing that that segment revisited.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
I don't understand, was there a second fight I missed somewhere? I don't recall seeing that that segment revisited.

I'm not saying there is any particular reason to revisit that room, but if you do decide to return to it, the detail is there.

And, well, there is an upgrade connected to it, so if you're going for 100%, you naturally will return.

It's also very clever, from a mechanical/progression standpoint. Kraid's wall spike is initially used by standing on it to reach a Spider Magnet section and leave his room. Grapple beam is required to enter the single tram into Elun. Once you're done with Elun, it's guaranteed that you'll have the Grapple Beam, thus being able to grapple to the Spider Magnet wall in Kraid's room without getting totally softlocked by not being able to reach the ledge out. So the disappearance of Kraid's spike is perfectly timed to serve the resurgence of the X without being a problem for the player if they happen to return to this room early for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm about an hour into Fusion. It's a minor thing, but I'm amused that the parts in Dread where you're locked inside a network station until you talk to ADAM are ripped straight from this game. People weren't kidding when they called Fusion linear.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
You can handle the EMMI sections by going super fast and just maneuvering around them.

That's mainly what I've been doing, but I still don't really like the pace so far. Whenever I get to an EMMI area, I usually just keep running around looking for the goal/exit, lure the EMMI to the other side of the map, then run back to the exit. But instant death on a wrong turn can be really annoying. I just don't really care for the mechanic.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm about an hour into Fusion. It's a minor thing, but I'm amused that the parts in Dread where you're locked inside a network station until you talk to ADAM are ripped straight from this game. People weren't kidding when they called Fusion linear.

All 2D Metroid games are pretty linear. The paths just wrap in on themselves. You may return to the same general areas, but you rarely return by the exact same route you left from, and you're general going to a new location within that area that was previously inaccessible to proceed. Outside of that, the only way to explore the world as you see fit is by sequence breaking, which involves exploiting mechanics in unintended ways to get to locations, or abilities, early. I appreciate that Dread actually built easter eggs in the game for people who sequence break though.

It would be interesting to see a Metroid game that actually borrowed some conventions from more modern metroidvania titles like being able to explore ever zone right off the bat. Maybe even give you optional zones and boss encounters? I guess the more curious part is how could a Metroid game adopt modern design changes like this without introducing RPG mechanics to level gate areas?

Now that I think about it, I wonder how the 2D portion of the series evolve, gameplay and design wise, now that this saga is complete? Would more of the same be enough?

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
What speedrun catagories are you guys enjoying?

Im loving any% and am now watching a All Boss run. So cool

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
understandable, Its strange to me how resistant some are to the idea of Dread having an easy mode. This is a damn challenging game, so what if others would like to enjoy it who maybe just can't keep up with the default settings.

Well I kind of understand the resistance as someone that would definitely have picked an easy mode (I usually suck with fast-paced controls).
But after forcing myself to get decent and pushing through bosses with a bit of effort I get that I would have had an incomplete experience with an easy mode. I can imagine some kind of fall-back mode when you die to many times in a single spot as Nintendo used to do in Wii-era would have been a good compromise though.

They cut those at an extremely early stage, when they were just art and a few assets. Nintendo forced Mercury Steam to cut them because the game's scope kept increasing beyond what could be reasonably produced.

Dread feels and is finished.

It definitely feels like a finished game, but I think there was room and even evidence of a couple more full-fledged boss battles that we didn't get. Some of the boss encounters are also lacking even basic introductory cutscenes whereas others have also cinematic counters as someone else pointed out. Maybe they were never meant to be there after preliminary stage but I do think some cut had to be made. I still have no complaints at all, the game is great as it is.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's mainly what I've been doing, but I still don't really like the pace so far. Whenever I get to an EMMI area, I usually just keep running around looking for the goal/exit, lure the EMMI to the other side of the map, then run back to the exit. But instant death on a wrong turn can be really annoying. I just don't really care for the mechanic.

The EMMI sections are only less than 10% of the game. And once you killed them, the complete rooms are free as well.
So even if you would not like them, it's only a small part of the whole game.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I just finished Dread, and I did not like it. I didn't hate it, but I am glad it's done and I'm not in it's grasp anymore.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Got all upgrades (I think), and I'm actually taking the time to get 100% items I think. Finding it very satisfying to hunt down upgrades I couldn't before.

Could probably use missiles/energy tanks if the final boss is as bad as everyone says.
I just finished Dread, and I did not like it. I didn't hate it, but I am glad it's done and I'm not in it's grasp anymore.
I'm going to need to hear more elaboration my friend. Have you played Metroid before??

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh lord please, no. The last thing I want Metroid Prime to become is another twitch shooter.

It doesn't need to be a twitch shooter, but they need to upgrade the mobility. It is jarring going from the quick pace of 2D Metroid Samus to the slow molasses moving Samus in the 3D games. This needs to be overhauled. Shooters have evolved a ton since Prime 3 on consoles.

Jun 24, 2021
Oh lord please, no. The last thing I want Metroid Prime to become is another twitch shooter.
I'm sorry but I have to agree with the other posters. I love Prime like I love Super Metroid but I think Prime 4 will do to the 3D Metroids what Fusion and Zero Mission did to 2D: update Samus' movement and controls and make her move faster and be less floaty. And please for the love of God give us an option for twin stick aiming! I get that in 2002 first person controls on consoles weren't the standard but now they are. Prime 4 cannot come out in 2025 or whatever with single stick movement and aiming.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but I have to agree with the other posters. I love Prime like I love Super Metroid but I think Prime 4 will do to the 3D Metroids what Fusion and Zero Mission did to 2D: update Samus' movement and controls and make her move faster and be less floaty. And please for the love of God give us an option for twin stick aiming! I get that in 2002 first person controls on consoles weren't the standard but now they are. Prime 4 cannot come out in 2025 or whatever with single stick movement and aiming.
I'm not saying Prime's controls shouldn't be updated.

I just don't want to zip through the 3D environments as quickly as I did in Doom Eternal. Observing and carefully exploring the environment is a critical part of the Prime games and taking in a 3D environment is very different from a 2D game such as Metroid Dread where you absorb everything much quicker.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021

I just don't want to zip through the 3D environments as quickly I did in the Doom Eternal. Observing and carefully exploring the environment is a critical part of the Prime games and taking in a 3D environment is very different from a 2D game such as Metroid Dread where you absorb everything much quicker.
I ageee Doom Eternal speed would be an exaggeration but I do think some kind of Super -> Fusion speed upgrade would be the sweet spot. It's difficult for me to go back to Super after the GBA games and AM2R. After Dread it's only going to get harder.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Grats to DJCarmichael, really chill streamer and good dude who just achieved first hitless/damageless (glitchless) run. VOD should be up soon

I would never even dare

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I can't get any of the pseudo wave stuff to work right lol. Anything that requires that I couldn't do. Was able to do stuff like early grapple, bombs. My time was good anyway so it's not a big deal
The Drogyga one is dead simple since you can pause buffer that one now. I never could get the first E.M.M.I. skip to work.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I second that the EMMI mechanic is not fun. It's definitely my least favourite part of the game, not enough make me not like it, but it's a constant bad taste in the mouth that keeps coming. But the game itself definitely gets better with more upgrades, even if some of these are clunky. For example the double jump is incredibly clunky, as it only triggers when you're rolling, but that happens inconsistently. I just did a bit where you fight twin soldiers and it was made much much harder because the double jumps don't kick in.

But yeah it's a decent game, not nearly in the same league as Hollow Night or Ori, but I love Metroidvanias, and this is a good one.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017

I just don't want to zip through the 3D environments as quickly as I did in Doom Eternal. Observing and carefully exploring the environment is a critical part of the Prime games and taking in a 3D environment is very different from a 2D game such as Metroid Dread where you absorb everything much quicker.
Unless the game is designed in a way that you have to zip through the areas as fast as possible (which I doubt they would do), there's nothing stopping you from carefully exploring the environment regardless of how fast Samus' movement speed is. Plus, they can just add a walk/dash button. Anyway, I don't really see the problem with increasing her movement speed.

Oct 27, 2017
I second that the EMMI mechanic is not fun. It's definitely my least favourite part of the game, not enough make me not like it, but it's a constant bad taste in the mouth that keeps coming. But the game itself definitely gets better with more upgrades, even if some of these are clunky. For example the double jump is incredibly clunky, as it only triggers when you're rolling, but that happens inconsistently. I just did a bit where you fight twin soldiers and it was made much much harder because the double jumps don't kick in.

But yeah it's a decent game, not nearly in the same league as Hollow Night or Ori, but I love Metroidvanias, and this is a good one.

You have to be moving to make a spinning jump. What throws people off is that you can also do a very maneuverable standing jump, so they don't really pay attention as to whether they're moving before they jump.

And the spin boost (double jump) always needs to be timed just after her spin jump has peaked.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
You have to be moving to make a spinning jump. What throws people off is that you can also do a very maneuverable standing jump, so they don't really pay attention as to whether they're moving before they jump.

And the spin boost (double jump) always needs to be timed just after her spin jump has peaked.
Yeah, I do get that it's a full mechanic. But I think it's probably an old fashioned mechanic that could have been streamlined, as it's just not fun (for me) in the heat of the moment.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Total game time at the end said I was 14 hours

switch total play time says 30 hours or more

which was it?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Count me as one that enjoys the EMMI zones. Yeah I've died countless times and almost never use stealth, but the intensity of that chase is great and the inspiration of the SA-X sections in Fusion are obvious.

So far through I think 3 EMMIs and two major bosses and loving the game. Playing exclusively on TV. Does remind me I need to pick up Samus Returns

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Not nearly in the league? Hm, don't think I can get on that train but can still see how the games you mention have carried the torch proudly with a blazing flame
I mean it's in a good league definitely, don't get me wrong. Just not in the league of "best in genre" for me. But also I apologise for bringing in comparisons, it wasn't meant to be inflammatory, just me kind of positioning it in my personal rank.

Better start practicing before the last (2) bosses…
I've heard! I'm scared to be honest!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the game is designed in a way that you have to zip through the areas as fast as possible (which I doubt they would do), there's nothing stopping you from carefully exploring the environment regardless of how fast Samus' movement speed is. Plus, they can just add a walk/dash button. Anyway, I don't really see the problem with increasing her movement speed.
This is true. I also appreciate the more methodical approach and heavy movement in the Prime games, but movement can still be made faster, and Samus more mobile. So long as there are comfortable ways to move slower, and there's a mix tight and open environments, then it should be fine. Prime Samus doesn't need to be equally agile as in 2D, but movement could be expanded relative to the other first-person games.

I really want air dashes and wall-running in Prime 4, and expanded use of the grapple beam. I believe the movement could allow for faster movement while retaining a sense of weight and momentum. Dread manages to make Samus feel nimble and powerful—Prime could do the same.

Count me as one that enjoys the EMMI zones. Yeah I've died countless times and almost never use stealth, but the intensity of that chase is great and the inspiration of the SA-X sections in Fusion are obvious.

So far through I think 3 EMMIs and two major bosses and loving the game. Playing exclusively on TV. Does remind me I need to pick up Samus Returns

Yeah, I'd prefer the EMMIs retaining their sense of danger even if it means I'm getting frequent game overs. And the ample checkpoints help

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
playing through on hardmode speedrunning and man the emmi sections ain't shit the second time through. once you know the maps you feel so good just speeding past the dumb fuckers and dodging from door to door. samus just flows in this game, the slide is so good

Leraeniesh

Apr 21, 2019
Nah. The whole point of Prime is the focus on observation and exploration. Can't do that when you're zooming around at high speeds. Besides, the boost ball allows you to go super fast anyway.

You can try out different movement options in PrimeHack to see what suits you the most.
IMO, increased movement did not hinder exploration, and made slog areas more enjoyable to traverse.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Decided to return the game. The EMMI sections are just not what I want from a Metroid game. I'm sure I could push through, I just don't really want to.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
What speedrun catagories are you guys enjoying?

Im loving any% and am now watching a All Boss run. So cool
All Bosses is my favorite run. I'm digging low% too because the skill on display especially in the final boss is absolutely ridiculous. I'm waiting for Any% to settle before I really dig into watching them. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite speed games to watch. Every category offers something cool to see. I'm not a big fan of the various Pseudo-beam tricks but the runs are still entertaining even with them.

RE: EMMI stuff I generally agree with those who dislike it. It didn't ruin the game for me or anything but it was easily the low point of the game for me. Part of it is the game really pushing you to stealth your way through when really the "right" way to do those sections with minimal frustration is:
1) enter zone
2) open map and locate exits and Central Unit
3) rush to exit closest to where you want to go
4) get upgrade needed to reach Central Unit
5) kill central unit
6) find a stretch you can stand on to kill EMMI

Took me 4 EMMI encounters to really settle on the plan and the rest went down with little trouble.

Last edited:

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Finished this last night after learning the final boss' moveset it was quite easy and fun.
Overall i really loved this game, i'd argue its one of the better metroid games, but thats subjective. I hope they don't make me wait over a decade for another 2D entry

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Could probably use missiles/energy tanks if the final boss is as bad as everyone says.
I'm going to need to hear more elaboration my friend. Have you played Metroid before??
A little bit, but not much else. A bit of Super and Fusion.

Personally, I didn't like the platforming, controls, EMMIs, bosses, exploration, moving between areas. I honestly think the only reason I finished it was because a friend has been giving me shit for not finishing games.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
got 100% items, and I'm just before what I think is the final Chozo soldier in the final area. I do kinda wish there had been more big bosses. I think there were only 3 before this? Felt like Super Metroid had more. I know the EMMI and chozos were kinda bosses, but it's not the same.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this, or if there is a more general Metroid OT or something, but I wanted to reach out to the community on Era to see if there's any interest in something. There's a beautiful art poster named The Hunter of Zebes (I'll put a link to it below) that was printed years ago but is sold out right now. I contacted the artist behind it and asked if there were any plans for a new round of them to capitalize on Dread and the little resurgence we've gotten from the game. He said that he'd need around 30 or so people who would be interested in buying it to make it viable, apparently only around 10 or so have reached out to him at the moment, myself included.

I want to make it clear that I'm not making any sort of money off of this I just really want the poster since I find it gorgeous but couldn't buy it years ago when it was available. So if anybody here is interested, send me a message and I can give you his contact email so you can get in touch with him too. Here's the link to the poster and a picture of it:

https://en.frenchpaperartclub.com/collections/video-game-related/products/the-hunter-of-zebes

634.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, I'm so used to being much better than most my friends at games, and then I read something like this and I feel like a chump haha. Super impressive amigo, he took me like 10-15 tries at the very least I feel like
Don't even ask me how many times it took me to beat Kraid, that was probably close to 25 attempts lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished my first play through with 15:24 and 77% of the items. I had some minor gripes with it but I loved this game. Reading through the thread, no lie I was scared about the final boss fight but it actually wasn't too bad. Took me about 7 tries. The first time I got to the boss' final phase, I cleared it right there. Felt freaking good

I caught myself grinning ear to ear as the credits were rolling. Minor gripes with the game includes the controls. Samus is fun to control in this game but it can get overloaded trying to use all her powers. The multiple button combos can get out of control sometimes. I never actually got comfortable with the grapple hook. Also I just wish missiles were a button by themselves instead of a toggle.

Great job by MercurySteam and Nintendo. Now even more hyped for whatever MercurySteam has in store next for Metroid. MP4 can't come soon enough.

Nintendo, stop being pricks and port all Metroid games to the Switch especially Samus Returns, I never actually finished that. Just never felt comfortable to me on the 3DS. Like a sucker, I'll buy it all again lol

Great Game. Well worth it. 👍

Xemnas89

Aug 28, 2019
Man the movement in this game is so good. I need another new Mercury steam Metroid or even some randomizer dlc for this.