• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Chozo ghosts really start putting in overtime towards the endgame in the ruins, I think there were at least three rooms that had me actually go "really? here as well now?!", kinda shifts them from being sorta spoopy to "guys, stop interrupting the ambient tune, gawd"

Well, at least they don't lock the doors like Prime 2's Dark Pirate Commandos

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Did enemies always respawn like, the instant you leave and return to a room? I somehow don't remember them being this persistent.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Did enemies always respawn like, the instant you leave and return to a room? I somehow don't remember them being this persistent.
Usually you can get away with popping back into a room without enemies respawning if you were only next door, but the moment you move two rooms away it feels like a guaranteed respawn.

Shout outs to when you go back to the phendrana lab area during the artifact hunt, space pirate maintenance team putting in work to get all those turrets back up when I'm just nipping up to the tower and then back out the rear entrance

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
This is pretty much a remake in all but name, the visual upgrade is insane. It's easily the best looking Switch game by far.

Retro are gods.

Prime 4 is gonna be a showcase for Switch 2.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Retro did an amazing job with the visuals but I keep wishing they had remastered the soundtrack. Feels off hearing the same Gamecube tracks with this skin and I wonder why they didn't at least include a remastered option

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Chozo ghosts really start putting in overtime towards the endgame in the ruins, I think there were at least three rooms that had me actually go "really? here as well now?!", kinda shifts them from being sorta spoopy to "guys, stop interrupting the ambient tune, gawd"

I fucking. hate. Chozo ghosts. Hate. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

Dark Pirate Commandos can go fuck themselves too. I'M JUST TRYING TO GO PLACES.

kohlmannj

Oct 28, 2021
Manhattan, NY
Retro did an amazing job with the visuals but I keep wishing they had remastered the soundtrack. Feels off hearing the same Gamecube tracks with this skin and I wonder why they didn't at least include a remastered option

I have good news:

That said, I don't mean to be pedantic. A reinterpreted soundtrack would have been interesting and cool to hear!

Personally, this is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, so I'm very pleased with this remaster.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Usually you can get away with popping back into a room without enemies respawning if you were only next door, but the moment you move two rooms away it feels like a guaranteed respawn.

Shout outs to when you go back to the phendrana lab area during the artifact hunt, space pirate maintenance team putting in work to get all those turrets back up when I'm just nipping up to the tower and then back out the rear entrance
There are only ever two rooms in memory at once, a main room and a corridor. When you get near the door to a third room, or if you shoot that door, it dumps the room behind and starts streaming the next.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
On it

edit: So I can't do a video right now, but as a quick and dirty comparison, I used two youtube videos at 0.25% speed -

https://youtu.be/QoB1pKJjAAc?t=161 (GameCube, single fire into charge shot begins just after 2:42)
https://youtu.be/fn9bqNVu_tA?t=173 (Switch, triple shot into charge shot begins during 2:54)

I timed the two shots to one another by going frame by frame, basically. Started 'em up at the same time... and what I'm seeing suggests that they're either the exact same speed, or that firing a charge shot is slightly faster on Switch. (I also think that time to full charge is also slightly faster on Switch, but I'm not entirely sure.)

This is by no means conclusive or anything, lol - someone with some solid capture hardware who can measure button press latency will need to put this to the test - but at the very least, I think I can confirm that firing a charge shot on Switch is slower than firing a charge shot on GameCube - despite the preceding triple shot.

Veryyyyy interesting. You look to be correct based on what I'm seeing as well.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
As someone who's never played these games, I really hope they remake 2 and 3 before 4 comes out.

Also, what does the narration option do?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk of charge beam timing it's making me remember that I really liked the Accel Charge expansion in Other M. It was noticeable by the end, and the more expansion varsity the better

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this game is good. It's my first time playing Metroid Prime and I just arrived at the first save room in Phendrana Drifts. The game looks spectacular with some great design and lighting. Certain rooms in the Chozo Ruins were particularly impressive in terms of texture work and lighting.
Plaza and Arboretum rooms in Chozo Ruins are definitely the most impressive to me so far, they look soooo good. Just got to Phendrana though so we'll see if that changes

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The door alpha isn't wrong, they just changed the way they look now. It looks more in line with Prime 2 and 3 doors now.
I'm pretty sure literally everyone going on about how it's "wrong" were going off of the Twitter compressed JPG screen grab of a YouTube compressed trailer that was always associated with the claim. If you're actually playing the game it's immediately obvious the door just… was made to look different now. Largely, the outer portion of the door was made to be a much lighter color than the original game.

And I even saw people on Era going ever further and saying objectively wrong nonsense like the door isn't even textured, when the door not only retains the original details, but also a bunch of fine details not visible in the original like small nicks and scratches.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure literally everyone going on about how it's "wrong" were going off of the Twitter compressed JPG screen grab of a YouTube compressed trailer that was always associated with the claim. If you're actually playing the game it's immediately obvious the door just… was made to look different now. Largely, the outer portion of the door was made to be a much lighter color than the original game.

And I even saw people on Era going ever further and saying objectively wrong nonsense like the door isn't even textured, when the door not only retains the original details, but also a bunch of fine details not visible in the original like small nicks and scratches.
#doorgate is really dumb. The doors are totally fine in the game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought twice about the door. It looks like it was just redesigned to emit more light and better catch the eye.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
People are really desperate to have something to nitpick about and being able to attach a former Retro developer to it gave it a feeling of "objectivity."

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
People are really desperate to have something to nitpick about and being able to attach a former Retro developer to it gave it a feeling of "objectivity."
Yep. This door controversy is giving me big Spider-Man puddlegate vibes in terms of pointlessness.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Started tonight and I absolutely love it. I never finished it back in the day so I'm determined now. Looks and plays wonderfully.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I can only play this in small chunks. Something about this game (whether it's the FOV, the perpetual suckiness of analog sticks for first person gaming or some other things) makes me feel queasy after a while.

I'll push through but it will take me a while to play through this (just got the morph ball).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having to re-learn control schemes after getting the Power Missiles.

I swapped visor and weapon selection, and switched fire missle and select visor.

Having missiles on X for Power Missiles feels essential, and dpad swapping weapons is more helpful than visors.

But now I'm fumbling unlearning what I only just learned lol.

The controls schemes are the only real downer I have here. A wheel might have been nice to select weapons and visors, and jump in ball form should not be a different button.

Anyway, just finished the Pirate's research section and this game just gets better and better.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I like the new door designs better.

I'm having to re-learn control schemes after getting the Power Missiles.

I swapped visor and weapon selection, and switched fire missle and select visor.

Having missiles on X for Power Missiles feels essential, and dpad swapping weapons is more helpful than visors.

But now I'm fumbling unlearning what I only just learned lol.

The controls schemes are the only real downer I have here. A wheel might have been nice to select weapons and visors, and jump in ball form should not be a different button.

Anyway, just finished the Pirate's research section and this game just gets better and better.

I did the same exact thing when I got the super missiles. Since I use the shoulder button for firing...I would have had to have done some weird claw maneuver to get a super missile out with the default settings lol. Takes a bit to get used to once you swap beam select and missiles but it's a lot better in the end.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
A wheel might have been nice to select weapons and visors, and jump in ball form should not be a different button.
The Trilogy had a wheel where you would just hold down + or - and flick the pointer in one of three directions to swap visors and beams. Just tapping the button would revert to the default. It was so fast and fluid. T-T

Jump in Morph Ball form is an upward flick if playing with motion controls! I have no idea why it's on a different button when playing with sticks. Probably to leave B available for Boost Ball, if I had to guess?

riq

Feb 21, 2019
The Trilogy had a wheel where you would just hold down + or - and flick the pointer in one of three directions to swap visors and beams. Just tapping the button would revert to the default. It was so fast and fluid. T-T
Funny, having to hold - and keep moving my cursor over an overlay all the time is one of the things that made me never be able to finish the trilogy version.

It was a revelation when I finally tried the original one and could just flip between visors with honest to god button presses lol

But I know I'm in the minority for not liking Wii mote pointer controls neither in Metroid nor anywhere else. My wrist gets fucked after like 30 minutes.

Can't wait to try this version, looks superb. What was the last 3D free camera game that run at 60FPS on Switch? Oddyssey?

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Really impressed with how this looks on Switch, I'm really hoping I can make the game click for me this time. The scanning mechanic is a little too much for me, I find myself constantly slowing down to hold L and scan for every little thing because I don't want to miss anything. It gives the gameplay a kind of stop and start feel that makes it unpleasant in my hands.

It's totally a me problem, I don't replay games so I'm pretty thorough. Scanning reminds me a bit of The Last of Us, excitement followed by lots of time mashing triangle all over the geometry so I don't miss any XP pills. I played the game when it came out for Gamecube but never finished it, I've really gotten into the series and beaten all the 2D games since so I'm gonna give it a go.

Just started and I find the game way too dark for my old eyes on the handheld =/

Playing this on Switch Lite really makes me wish I hadn't given away my old one, I'd love to play this on TV. It's definitely tough on a tiny screen, the enemies in particular can be really hard to distinguish from the landscape. Also the colors of the scanning icons drive me nuts.

I had begun dabbling in Primehack on the Steam Deck but I'm glad this came out before I got too far into it. I would try running this game on Deck with emulation, but the performance is shockingly stable and smooth for a Switch game.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017

I was hoping they would've changed the way the ghosts spawn. They're definitely one of the weaker parts of the game and could've been adjusted, but it sounds like they left them as is :(

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I never cease to be amazed by how incredible the ramp up in action in the research facility is. It's when you finally have some power-ups, you understand the combat, and the story and lore starts revealing itself... and it all culminates in this excellent 40 minute or so encounter.

Just pitch-perfect "alright, now the game begins!"

CodyV

Jan 5, 2018
Waiting for physical is TOUGH. almost have the urge to double dip. Wont be the first time *coughbayonetta1*.

Depends on how i feel tomorrow... I miss this game.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
All of the changes here are so tasteful. They made everything looks so much better without losing the artistic intent of the original.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Am I supposed to be collecting the artifacts naturally during my playthrough or is it something where I will collect the majority towards the end of the game? I've found a few but just curious.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Does anyone know where I can find these new updated renders of Samus? Is there some press kit out there with pngs?

47OXQoK.png

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game. I really don't think I've ever beaten this game before, because I don't remember that entire last segment at all.

I probably saw the 12 artifact thing and noped out.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

I really don't understand - the music isn't dated. It wasn't limited by technology at the time other than the audio sample rate, which apparently has been fixed.