• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
The more I play, the more impressed I am how good this looks on the OLED Switch. The lighting work is just beautiful and feels next-gen. Every room is crafted with care and eye for detail. I would have expected this kind of quality at 60 fps from the next Switch console (though resolution could be a bit higher). Retro really went above and beyond here on this ancient mobile chipset.

And it plays beautifully as well with the dual stick setup. A dream come true! 🥹

Tip: switch rockets with beam select, so that you can use charged rockets with X.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know if the GBA link cable Fusion suit is in the game?
I don't think anyone's unlocked it yet, even after finishing the game 100% on the hard mode.

I checked Reddit and saw some folks say that it's apparently still in the files at least. I'm really thinking they're waiting for Fusion to hit NSO before they allow people to unlock it. I can see them requiring you to play both games like you had to back in the day to unlock stuff in both of them.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I don't think anyone's unlocked it yet, even after finishing the game 100% on the hard mode.

I checked Reddit and saw some folks say that it's apparently still in the files at least. I'm really thinking they're waiting for Fusion to hit NSO before they allow people to unlock it. I can see them requiring you to play both games like you had to back in the day to unlock stuff in both of them.
I prefer playing with the Prime suits anyway, was just curious if that little bonus got lost in time. Would be neat to tie it in with Fusion on NSO!

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering, how does lock-on in the new two stick control scheme compare to the original game's lock-on? I was hoping for full lock-on still, even with the twin stick controls.

Ordered the physical edition, can't wait! I had just bought the GameCube version on ebay in the past year too, it's been on my to-play list for a while.

By default the lock-on is exactly like the original, it locks the reticle to the middle of the screen, the right stick doesn't do anything and the left stick circle strafes around the target. There's an option that lets you use the right stick and/or gyro to move the reticle around still even while locked on, though I feel that'd just make things more challenging rather than be helpful.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Changes in the remaster.

Improvements:

Water ripples again (missing in Wii).
Charge beam animations are back (missing in Wii).
Samus remastered face. And she blinks normally.
Ridley is purple.

Downgrades:

Beam weapons don't cast dynamic lighting.
Samus' reflection in the environment (Chozo Ruins) is gone.

Mistakes?

Door alpha is wrong. Yes, I'm sure Zoid was exaggerating about that issue, but to be fair he did spend a lot of time working on them.
Power beam shoots three before charging instead of once.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43mDOaeSzF0

kohlmannj

Oct 28, 2021
Manhattan, NY
There's an option that lets you use the right stick and/or gyro to move the reticle around still even while locked on, though I feel that'd just make things more challenging rather than be helpful.

Yup! Lock-On Free Aim was designed for Metroid Prime 3, in which they did things like have you aim at a moving weak spot, or counter-shoot an incoming projectile, while locked on to an enemy. Prime 1 and 2 weren't designed with those aiming scenarios in mind, so Lock-On Free Aim actually makes these first two games much harder.

syphonblue

Apr 29, 2022
The door alpha isn't wrong, they just changed the way they look now. It looks more in line with Prime 2 and 3 doors now.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The door alpha isn't wrong, they just changed the way they look now. It looks more in line with Prime 2 and 3 doors now.
Yeah, you can unlock concept art for Remastered specifically and there's art with the exact look of the doors in the actual game. It's not an error, it's a different artistic vision, less metallic and more bubble-like like in the 2D games.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
The sound cue that plays when your missiles are low is new right? I don't remember that being there on the North America GCN releases.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really wish you could remap the buttons in game. I know you can do it on the switch itself but it doesn't have profiles for specific games so I'd have to change it. Why is super metroid the only metroid game they let you remap everything!?

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Would it honestly "ruin" this game if you were able to fast-travel to every save point you unlock in this game?

Going from place to place is just so damn tedious/

Again, never played this before.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Would it honestly "ruin" this game if you were able to fast-travel to every save point you unlock in this game?

Yes, it would. The game is all about the exploration, and later versions of some rooms have different enemies as you are by then more powered up. While the end-game backtracking is divisive, that was a side effect of the game coming together so hot at the end and everybody thinking it was shorter to complete than it actually was, so Nintendo pushed for that end-game quest. And at that point, if you could fast travel everywhere, that would negate that design choice.

You shouldn't let that deter you from playing one of the greatest games ever made.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

Reading your posts, it sounds like this type of thing may just not be your cup of tea, which is okay. Exploration is a key part of the way these games function, and exploring (or re-exploring areas with more equipment) is a huge part of that. Fast travel would take away a huge part of that.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Finished with 100 % in 6 hours - took me that long because I was experimenting a lot with what speedrun tricks might have carried over especially concerning the geometry of the levels - apart from all those various jump glitches a lot of carried over from the base game (for example standable objects in the environment that you could abuse for reaching certain ledges).
Still the greatest game of all time for me and it was simply magnificent to replay it in this beauty!

Unfortunately I missed one scan - the aqua drone which is permanently missible after a certain point....oh well, I was about to do another run this time on hard anyways.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really hate or have too big of a problem with how the doors look but it's definitely an aspect of the remaster that isn't faithful to the original.

In cases like this, i do wish a graphical switch was possible. Such as with Halo 2 anniversary. Just so the original artwork is preserved on the future platform, if nothing else.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well now I feel defensive

View: https://twitter.com/massxtortion/status/1623879632595582976?s=20&t=Hc2bm1OjRT17IvUnT_UMXQ

View: https://twitter.com/massxtortion/status/1623880085307809793?s=20&t=5r95Ca7KY3KEOO3LvXzx9g

View: https://twitter.com/massxtortion/status/1623880236013334529?s=20&t=5r95Ca7KY3KEOO3LvXzx9g

View: https://twitter.com/massxtortion/status/1623880410643017732?s=20&t=5r95Ca7KY3KEOO3LvXzx9g

It was implied with my post that it isn't a one-off thing. I notice this in the majority of medium to large sized rooms in the game - one of the large rock pillars in Phendrana Shoreline has it pretty bad, for instance, but this was one clip I had saved previously + clips I just took in like five minutes of running around from my current save point. With the rumors of this game having been sat on for years, I'm going to guess that it isn't a glitch and instead is a compromise to keep the Switch from blowing up (figuratively, of course) trying to run it.

ken-jeong-community.gif

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Lol I love that the only issue people have with the new version is that the door looks a tiny bit different. Speaks for the quality of the upgrade! 😂

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't really hate or have too big of a problem with how the doors look but it's definitely an aspect of the remaster that isn't faithful to the original.

In cases like this, i do wish a graphical switch was possible. Such as with Halo 2 anniversary. Just so the original artwork is preserved on the future platform, if nothing else.
I don't understand this. Sure, I get being somewhat disappointed, but if you're looking to compare things 1/1, the added lighting, particle, and ambient occlusion effects aren't faithful to the original, either.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
One of the more overlooked things that fast travel would negatively affect is when you are roaming back across the map and end up hoovering up missile expansions and energy tanks as your updated kit opens up many side areas.
The return to the Chozo Ruins after Thardus is truly like being a bounty hunter in a missile expansion store, on clearance.

That said Prime 1 absolutely has a few moments of backtrack galore that feel oddly close together, and no I ain't talking about the (actually pretty good) artefact hunt, I refer to the midgame where you have to keep taking the magmoor subway to and from Phendrana, off the top of my head phendrana only has links to magmoor and the paths you frequently take are gonna probably be the same ones, you (well, I) go from carefully timing your way past the fire jets and spider balling over that one lava pit, to facetanking the fire and diving into the magma to shave off a few seconds alongside your health.

Actually it's kind of interesting that in the past, the map, and back and forthing across Tallon IV is what gave the game the edge over Prime 2 for me, as I really respect the hell out of a well designed world map that makes you go full optimal pathfinding mode like "I need to go here, if I go via this way I can also dip into these side rooms here and here...."
But repeated Magmoor trips are a bit of a slog and I'm noticing that a lot more this time.

Troopsy

Jan 18, 2022
Ughh, I missed the Ice Shreikbat scan and I went back to the location, and I'm 99% sure I can't get that scan 😭

Luckily % completion is tied to items but still.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The return to the Chozo Ruins after Thardus is truly like being a bounty hunter in a missile expansion store, on clearance.

That said Prime 1 absolutely has a few moments of backtrack galore that feel oddly close together, and no I ain't talking about the (actually pretty good) artefact hunt, I refer to the midgame where you have to keep taking the magmoor subway to and from Phendrana, off the top of my head phendrana only has links to magmoor and the paths you frequently take are gonna probably be the same ones, you (well, I) go from carefully timing your way past the fire jets and spider balling over that one lava pit, to facetanking the fire and diving into the magma to shave off a few seconds alongside your health.

Actually it's kind of interesting that in the past, the map, and back and forthing across Tallon IV is what gave the game the edge over Prime 2 for me, as I really respect the hell out of a well designed world map that makes you go full optimal pathfinding mode like "I need to go here, if I go via this way I can also dip into these side rooms here and here...."
But repeated Magmoor trips are a bit of a slog and I'm noticing that a lot more this time.

Missile shopping in Chozo Mart aside, the stretch of Thardus -> Ice Beam -> Gravity Suit -> Crashed Frigate is kinda "why." when it comes to Magmoor spam. Grab the Spider Ball, backtrack through Magmoor to the Chozo Ruins to get the Ice Beam, then backtrack the same way through Magmoor to the exact same room where you got the Spider Ball to open a door, get the Gravity Suit, then backtrack the same way through Magmoor AGAIN to the crashed frigate ack.

Worth mentioning that Magmoor also links to the Phazon Mines depths, but it isn't super useful for backtracking.

GhostSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Toaplan, USA
Mistakes?

Door alpha is wrong. Yes, I'm sure Zoid was exaggerating about that issue, but to be fair he did spend a lot of time working on them.
Power beam shoots three before charging instead of once.

I'm surprised more people haven't complained about this. It feels wrong.
Also is there a way to turn the reticle off? It's visually distracting and was largely absent in the original game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Also is there a way to turn the reticle off? It's visually distracting and was largely absent in the original game.
If you tap it it only shoots once, only shoots 3 if you hold it down.

Having not played rhe original, what's the issue caused by this?

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022

The triple shot seems like an intentional change to account for fire now also being on the ZR trigger. Mashing fire on a trigger is more awkward and harder to than mashing a face button. That said, I wish this change only applied to fire on the trigger, since holding down A will do the triple shot too (and it will be slower than what you can easily pull off from mashing).

If you tap it it only shoots once, only shoots 3 if you hold it down.

Having not played rhe original, what's the issue caused by this?

It means that it takes a little bit longer to start charging your beam. I don't think it's much of an issue, but a toggle to turn this behavior off would be nice.

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the Invisible Drone in the mines before Power Bomb a missable scan or unable to be scanned? Couldn't get a scan target to show up. I missed a few scans so my 100% scan is already ruined but I can't remember if it's a unique scan compared to other drones. Doesn't say on the list in the thread marks so I'm slightly confused.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Is the Invisible Drone in the mines before Power Bomb a missable scan or unable to be scanned? Couldn't get a scan target to show up. I missed a few scans so my 100% scan is already ruined but I can't remember if it's a unique scan compared to other drones. Doesn't say on the list in the thread marks so I'm slightly confused.
I don't think it's ever been possible to scan it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The triple shot seems like an intentional change to account for fire now also being on the ZR trigger. Mashing fire on a trigger is more awkward and harder to than mashing a face button. That said, I wish this change only applied to fire on the trigger, since holding down A will do the triple shot too (and it will be slower than what you can easily pull off from mashing).

It means that it takes a little bit longer to start charging your beam. I don't think it's much of an issue, but a toggle to turn this behavior off would be nice.
I'm testing it now, and if I tap very quickly then triple shot doesn't even activate. I don't see how it affects it as it only activates when holding down.

I must be missing something as I don't see how this would affect mashing the button. If I tap quick, I can make it fire faster than holding.

Stath

Mar 4, 2022
I'm testing it now, and if I tap very quickly then triple shot doesn't even activate. I don't see how it affects it as it only activates when holding down.

I must be missing something as I don't see how this affect mashing the button.

I think you misunderstood something I was saying, so I'll rephrase a few things.

If you want to use the charge beam (for the power beam anyways), you need to hold the button and then wait for the volley of three shots to finish before Samus will begin charging. This takes a little bit longer than how things were before, where you would fire off one shot and begin charging right after. It's a pretty small but noticeable change that long-time players might find weird at first, hence that other poster having an issue with it.

The triple shot being implemented at all appears to be an accessibility thing to make repeated shots on the trigger easier, since in the original you didn't have the option of shooting with the trigger buttons.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone
You can skip the triple shot if you're holding down the missile button when you start pressing the blaster button. It'll go right into the charge sequence and you can let go of the missile button at that point.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think you misunderstood something I was saying, so I'll rephrase a few things.

If you want to use the charge beam (for the power beam anyways), you need to hold the button and then wait for the volley of three shots to finish before Samus will begin charging. This takes a little bit longer than how things were before, where you would fire off one shot and begin charging right after. It's a pretty small but noticeable change that long-time players might find weird at first, hence that other poster having an issue with it.

The triple shot being implemented at all appears to be an accessibility thing to make repeated shots on the trigger easier, since in the original you didn't have the option of shooting with the trigger buttons.
Ahhh, I did my bad. I've not got the charge beam yet so didn't remembee how long it took to charge so didn't quite get what they meant, thanks for explaining!

Stath

Mar 4, 2022
You can skip the triple shot if you're holding down the missile button when you start pressing the blaster button. It'll go right into the charge sequence and you can let go of the missile button at that point.

Oh, that's good to know. I was doing something kind of similar sometimes, where I would fire a missile and start charging to avoid triple shot happening. It was tempting not to bother though since it would waste a missile lol

edit: ah so I still have to shoot a missile. the triple shot before charging doesn't bother me much so I'll probably just deal with it.

Ahhh, I did my bad. I've not got the charge beam yet so didn't remembee how long it took to charge so didn't quite get what they meant, thanks for explaining!

No problem! I totally see why you were confused.

Last edited:

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017

Actually kind of a nice solve for the trigger problem, but I still think the OG GameCube controls work best for this game.

Only disappointment so far is seemingly no way to remove the persistent reticle in Gamecube control mode, it's sort of annoying and not necessary.

Otherwise this is the remake of my dreams, it's absolutely incredible

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
Damn this game is good. It's my first time playing Metroid Prime and I just arrived at the first save room in Phendrana Drifts. The game looks spectacular with some great design and lighting. Certain rooms in the Chozo Ruins were particularly impressive in terms of texture work and lighting.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone
Oh, that's good to know. I was doing something kind of similar sometimes, where I would fire a missile and start charging to avoid triple shot happening. It was tempting not to bother though since it would waste a missile lol

You do have to fire the missile, but you can keep the button held down as long as you want before doing the charge. If you let go, then of course pressing the button again will fire another missile.

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017

Y'all should check out federation force. And should also check if the charge beam timing is actually different or you just think it is because it's firing three shots now.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
As a Prime 2 fan, I gotta pull an "aktually" here lol.

If you scan that Pirate, it tells you that there were signs of him being under parasitic possession. This implies that the Pirate being leeched by those Metroids was possessed by an Ing, most likely in an attempt to infiltrate their base. The other Pirates must have caught on to the facade, neutralize their former comrade and feed both him and the Ing possessing him to the Metroids.
Thanks for this "aktually" fact, it's always good to have precise and on point info about Metroid!

Stath

Mar 4, 2022
Y'all should check out federation force. And should also check if the charge beam timing is actually different or you just think it is because it's firing three shots now.

I can tell it's different, but okay. Not sure what's up with your tone here.

edit: nevermind we're good- I took this post in the wrong way. I think it does take extra time to charge as a result of this, but maybe it doesn't.

edit again: and now I'm fully expecting it to actually not be truly slower lmao. can't wait for the comparisons.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just did a real quick test and

uh

I think that the time from button press to charge shot is actually shorter now - despite the triple shot

Dead ass I'm shook. I can hardly believe it. I might have to do some science tonight to be sure

edit - I'm now almost 100% positive that firing a charged shot is slightly faster on Switch. I still can hardly believe it myself, but I'm comparing charged shots in my game to charged shots from a video of the GC original being played, and yeah...

I'm gonna have to get on my PC and do this right

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On it

edit: So I can't do a video right now, but as a quick and dirty comparison, I used two youtube videos at 0.25% speed -

https://youtu.be/QoB1pKJjAAc?t=161 (GameCube, single fire into charge shot begins just after 2:42)
https://youtu.be/fn9bqNVu_tA?t=173 (Switch, triple shot into charge shot begins during 2:54)

I timed the two shots to one another by going frame by frame, basically. Started 'em up at the same time... and what I'm seeing suggests that they're either the exact same speed, or that firing a charge shot is slightly faster on Switch. (I also think that time to full charge is also slightly faster on Switch, but I'm not entirely sure.)

This is by no means conclusive or anything, lol - someone with some solid capture hardware who can measure button press latency will need to put this to the test - but at the very least, I think I can confirm that firing a charge shot on Switch is slower than firing a charge shot on GameCube - despite the preceding triple shot.

Last edited: