• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, witnessing this go down today felt like an important moment in history.

Lynch from MA and these young democrats went in. It shows people that there's a lot to be excited for with this party's future. Keep building momentum and energize voters.

The only drawback for me is Cummings smoothing over Meadows' racism. But he bounced back nicely with his closing speech. Them emotions when he spoke with Cohen on the possibility of redemption. Whew

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I could only listen to most of the first half/two thirds or so, but goddamn are Republicans frustrating to listen to. Such disingenuous pieces of shit. The whole "he lied before therefore he has no credibility as a witness" crap was the worst, and I like how some Dem congressman brought up that this is standard in bringing down crime bosses and whatnot. Like are they saying anyone put in prison by the testimony of a career criminal/liar who turned should be released? Republican logic....it's... it's an oxymoron.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
o
You have to wonder how much of the GOP are complicit in Trump's crimes.

I would suspect that they weren't super complicit at first, but as time passed, and it became clear they could profit, they started participating more actively. At this point, it doesn't look like they're protecting Trump out of loyalty, so much as because they realize once he goes down, they do too. They're rats trying to stop their ship from sinking.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
AOC is so impressive. Never went to law school but asks questions better than most trial attorneys. She and her crew give me so much hope.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
They invaded and occupied federal lands so their cows could graze off public property for free. You don't think they are capable of even worse?

Didn't those morons forget to bring enough food and supplies to last through such an occupation, and the feds took mercy on them and let people through to get supplies?

lol, yeah I looked it up to make sure. They also got trolled by people who sent them sex toys and glitter instead:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...es-get-glitter-sex-toys-idUSKCN0US31420160114

The occupiers, who took over buildings at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge on Jan. 2 in the latest conflict over the U.S. government's control of land in the West, had been hoping for snacks, fuel and warm clothes when they provided sympathizers with a local mailing address.

Instead, as they angrily showed online, they received sex-related toys and food that would be of little use as they braced for a long standoff with federal law enforcement agents who have kept watch from a distance.

A Chicago-based designer posted an online order he made on Wednesday for a 55-gallon drum of "passion" lubricant costing more than $1,000 and addressed: "ATTN. OREGON MILITIA."

"I hope nobody shoots me with a gun," the designer, Max Temkin, tweeted afterward.

Well-regulated militia indeed...they couldn't even organize a grocery list.

May 31, 2018
Man, I may be too much of a softy, but the amount of a changed person Cohen is, is staggering. He looked like he was just tired of being a bad person — as silly as that sounds. Yes, it only happened because he got caught, but it seems like he genuinely wants to do good. Who would have thought he would have slammed down the GOP side. I got chills with his line about looking silly and they are going to do the same thing.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Here it is in case no one else hooked you up.

As someone who primarily gets his news from NPR, and I listened a bit today, all they seemingly had to play over and over again was the 5 seconds where Michael Cohen called Trump a racist and a bigot.

Why not more clips of actual discussion on the floor, like this? This helps me understand what's going on. A hot clip that loses steam in 10 minutes as soon as they invite multiple republican house members to talk their way around that.. I can only assume television news coverage is worse, as I tend to consider NPR comparatively highly. We really need a revolution in media. I get more out of audio and video of actual government discussions and I bet most people would too. Instead it's like it needs to be softened, dampened, selected into the most cliche and stereotypical partisan statements, throwing the rest into the void.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Man, I may be too much of a softy, but the amount of a changed person Cohen is, is staggering. He looked like he was just tired of being a bad person — as silly as that sounds. Yes, it only happened because he got caught, but it seems like he genuinely wants to do good. Who would have thought he would have slammed down the GOP side. I got chills with his line about looking silly and they are going to do the same thing.
I think his dad beat the shit outta him (not literally) for being such a piece of shit and the threats to his family are probably pretty serious too.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who primarily gets his news from NPR, and I listened a bit today, all they seemingly had to play over and over again was the 5 seconds where Michael Cohen called Trump a racist and a bigot.

Why not more clips of actual discussion on the floor, like this? This helps me understand what's going on. A hot clip that loses steam in 10 minutes as soon as they invite multiple republican house members to talk their way around that.. I can only assume television news coverage is worse, as I tend to consider NPR comparatively highly. We really need a revolution in media. I get more out of audio and video of actual government discussions and I bet most people would too. Instead it's like it needs to be softened, dampened, selected into the most cliche and stereotypical partisan statements, throwing the rest into the void.
Honestly? Because American media is largely trash, and it has been allowed to be trash because it's been such a long time since there was a cultural moment that challenged their standards.

AOC was great, but that's easy to point out. In reality:

Brenda Lawrence
Stacey Plaskett
Rashida Tlaib
Ayanna Pressley
Jimmy Gomez
Stephen Lynch
Katie Hill

All had, in my mind, just as significant lines of questioning, if not more so.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

npr is trash. better than alternatives, but still pretty sad for a news source, and I used to love them before I realized how poorly off we are in the US for progressive news or news not influenced by the larger economic forces.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Here it is in case no one else hooked you up.

She clearly had an agenda (Trump's Tax Returns), and wasted no time making sure she was to the point and on topic towards getting it done. Now if only everyone else used their time more wisely like her.

I was a little disappointed that she finished early and yielded her remaining time, but the point was made. Tax Returns need to be reviewed by the committee to answer the questions that were brought up today.

Brenda Lawrence
Stacey Plaskett
Rashida Tlaib
Ayanna Pressley
Jimmy Gomez
Stephen Lynch
Katie Hill

anyone got the links to these lines of questioning?

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She clearly had an agenda (Trump's Tax Returns), and wasted no time making sure she was to the point and on topic towards getting it done. Now if only everyone else used their time more wisely like her.

I was a little disappointed that she finished early and yielded her remaining time, but the point was made. Tax Returns need to be reviewed by the committee to answer the questions that were brought up today.

anyone got the links to these lines of questioning?

A hearing like this is highly choreographed,

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
People need to use their 5 minutes the right way. Also those damn assists and alley oops to give the ranking members

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Why don't they team up and give their time one to another, so a congresswoman or congressman can get at least 10 min?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly? Because American media is largely trash, and it has been allowed to be trash because it's been such a long time since there was a cultural moment that challenged their standards.

Stephen Lynch

Wanted to highlight this guy real quick because of that ether

and this hilarious take from Boston Magazine:

stephen-lynch-michael-cohen-hearing-t.jpg

Article Link: Stephen Lynch Went Masshole at the Michael Cohen Hearing

I know congressmen can't literally call a motherfucker a motherfucker, but he got as close to it as a House member can in public.

That's the fire we need. The GOP are full of bullshit and at this point, completely complicit in all of the past and ongoing crimes. Bring them to heel.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been watching this for the last three hours and Jesus Christ the GOP is just an irredeemable shit show of Trump-felching butt-plugs.

Seeing that fat fucking white man trot out a black staffer as a prop to 'prove' Trump's not a racist was perhaps the most vulgar and sadly ironic thing I've seen in recent memory.

What the fuck is wrong with these assholes? Do they really think history is going to record them as noble defenders of truth?

Trump is going to go down as the worst, most corrupt and incompetent President in history and all these Republican fucktwits are still hitching their fucking wagons to this monumental loon.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
See, the funny thing about this is that Jordan, when he gets time again, tries to false equivalence into Comey getting fired, all the people Trump fired and Rosenstein thinking about using the 25th amendment.
Sure, everyone who has worked with trump is a crook...But look at all these investigators trump fired! Would a crook do that?

Geg

Oct 25, 2017

I know congressmen can't literally call a motherfucker a motherfucker, but he got as close to it as a House member can in public.

That's the fire we need. The GOP are full of bullshit and at this point, completely complicit in all of the past and ongoing crimes. Bring them to heel.

This was the first bit of the hearing I got to listen to on the radio during my lunch break and it was so damn satisfying hearing him actually call out that guy on his hypocritical bullshit

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
AOC has become the number 1 enemy of all republicans and I'm not gonna lie I'm living for it.

Every time she speaks they must shit their pants.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Her questioning has been on point and it was impressive as hell today. Republicans are running out of ways to frame her as a stupid woman.

They'll probably just label her as emotional, or hysterical, or that she doesn't smile enough. Not like paragons of self-control and rationality like Brett Kavanaugh, that show real political competence. And like beer.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They'll probably just label her as emotional, or hysterical, or that she doesn't smile enough. Not like paragons of self-control and rationality like Brett Kavanaugh, that show real political competence. And like beer.
Not everybody can have the professional and emotional composure of Kavanaugh and Meadows.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Cohen looked into the camers to talk directly to Trump on two occasions that I remember.

The first was about being in Vietnam (got that one)... but I forgot the second time he did it. I'm trying to find video so I can show my cousin.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Brenda Lawrence
Stacey Plaskett
Rashida Tlaib
Ayanna Pressley
Jimmy Gomez
Stephen Lynch
Katie Hill

It's "s t o r y l i n e s" over and over, and when we have like two dozen go flying, there's the usual suspect ones that get the limelight and the subtle-but-damning ones go unnoticed.

Lotta FOR OR AGAINST for ratings and loss of institutional wisdom from investigative journos of yesteryear.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017

Brenda Lawrence
Stacey Plaskett
Rashida Tlaib
Ayanna Pressley
Jimmy Gomez
Stephen Lynch
Katie Hill

AOC was last, right? I think her skill was building off of everyone else's questions, because each question she asked referenced a prior question/statement by another congressperson. So she clarified exactly where Trump may have violated federal and state property tax laws - a HUGE deal in New York and New Jersey - and who the committee should contact next for further questioning.

She was standing on the shoulders of her peers, and it was extremely well-done quick-thinking.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm never watching one of these live again. Hearing the GOP fucks was close to giving me a stroke.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Her questioning has been on point and it was impressive as hell today. Republicans are running out of ways to frame her as a stupid woman.
I bounced around the usual spots. The line I saw them going with is obviously they were scripted questions handed to her by much smarter people.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

Cohen looks like the dog in Coming you America just whipping back and forth at the congressmen.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Either way it's not a crime as he only has to disclose government contacts
I trust his legal counsel did their jobs well so I think he should be fine but Meadow's point was that some of the private companies he had dealings with actually had controlling interest by foreign governments.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Damn.

She just said "nah fuck all this shit, give me the sword" and started cutting. Amazing.

With this and that video where she's detailing corruption you see a pattern. It's effective as shit because it's not only "guiding" information out of other people as to corroborate your own opinion, but it's literally a brief, digestible education lesson for the average joe.

That's the kind of messaging all Dems need to hit out more. Even if you're not charismatic naturally, it's the blueprint for any success as a public servant. We always tend get lost in the complicated power structure in our literally rigged system. And if your first thought there was of Trump then goddamn it I hate that man even more, because black people have been preaching this since we were in chains and had to suffer rape and enslavement in this enlightened Christian country. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness but really only meant for rich pond scum.

Errrrr, so anyways, it's great to go back to basics and take your message to the people and distill it just enough so they can follow along, all while keeping the meat of the info flowing for justifying future action in public policy. Hope to see more and more of this. Shout out to the others because AOC was kinda handed that layup and no doubt it was all coordinated in coalition with the remaining Dem speakers after that last break, then again, it was probably from the beginning.