• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
"It's pretty well rated, and… I think 95 actually probably puts them in the 10 highest rated games of all time, I think the highest is Ocarina of Time? GTA got a 97. 95 is pretty universally a great, great game, so there's minimal risk that anyone will buy it and be disappointed," Pacther said. "I think that the gameplay is actually easy to pick up and play, and there's a lot of little things in the game that can appeal to different niches of game players, there's action, and adventure, puzzles, and a compelling story. It appeals to everyone, and I think making it a father-son story makes it similar to The Last of Us, which, again, brings in fans of that game too. So I think it will quite clearly be the number one bestselling PS4 exclusive."

"I think 10 million units sounds like a low bar for it, actually," he said. "Last that Sony announced, there were 70 million PS4s out there, so 10 sounds really reasonable. I'd say realistically, it could do as many as 20 million. Now that's hard, because not everyone who has a PS4 will like an action game like God of War. But I'd say between 10 and 20 million, and I'd say 10 million is a low estimate. I think they will absolutely do 10 million

Full Article: https://gamingbolt.com/god-of-war-c...ll-sell-above10-million-units-michael-pachter

Do you think he is right?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will flop now.
Thanks Michael

On a serious note:
10 million CAN be archieved, but it's not a low bar. It's a high bar tbh.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to be wrong but I think 10 million is the the high bar for sales.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if it gets bundled with the console during the holidays like Uncharted did, but I think it will really struggle to come close to 20 million otherwise

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
It will flop now.
Thanks Michael

On a serious note:
10 million CAN be archieved, but it's not a low bar. It's a high bar tbh.
And can you tell me who is paying you for your expert analysis? As I see it, one guy gets lucratively payed to forecast products and the other posts on reset era..... I could be wrong though....

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, Last of Us did about 6 mil its first year, and between further sales and PS4 remaster, it's over seven mil?

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, while I think 10 million is definitely reachable, suggesting 20 million is a joke. I think we need to see how it does in NA first, but it could do 2-3 million worldwide in launch window and then I think hitting 10 million or above would be incredible lifetime numbers.

Either way we're definitely getting a sequel and I hope Sony let Cory make the new IP he wants to do.

Edit - I also disagree that it'll be the highest selling PS4 exclusive. TLoU2 will probably take that honour, and I could definitely see Spider-Man outselling GoW as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pachter: The Order 1886 Could Sell 5 Million By 2015 End, 10-12 Million If Sony Opts For A PS4 Bundle

Pachter is terrible at predicting game sales. I don't doubt God of War will do amazing but something like this coming from Patchter should be taken with a massive grain of salt.
Pachter predicted that the Wii U would fail, the Vita would fail, the Switch would be immensely successful, Breath of the Wild would be the highest rated game in the series, and Mario Odyssey would be the highest selling SKU of last Holiday season.
People like to harp on his failures, but everyone forgets it when he gets something right

If I recall, Last of Us did about 6 mil its first year, and between further sales and PS4 remaster, it's over ten mil?
The Last of Us is 9 million total. Uncharted 4 is 8.7 million.

EDIT: Made a mistake rounding down UC4 figures.

Last edited:

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This might be the first time I agree with Pachter, the game is a critical hit and Sony's marketing has been on point.

Oct 25, 2017
Pachter predicted that the Wii U would fail, the Vita would fail, the Switch would be immensely successful, Breath of the Wild would be the highest rated game in the series, and Mario Odyssey would be the highest selling SKU of last Holiday season.
People like to harp on his failures, but everyone forgets it when he gets something right

The Last of Us is 9 million total. Uncharted 4 is 8.5 million.
Yeah, that seems about right.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
"I think they will absolutely do 10 million [over the game's lifetime]."

The bolded part is important. Don't expect 10M in 2018.

OP
OP
Wise

Wise

Oct 27, 2017

The Last of Us is 9 million total. Uncharted 4 is 8.5 million.
I thought U4 had 8.7m at the end of 2016?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The game going in and out of stock at Amazon surprised the hell out of me. I think it's going to do very well.

Sales could be enormous if the game is bundled in the fall.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Normally my gut says to disagree with anything Pachter says if I want to err on the side of caution and have a chance at an accurate prediction...but I think he's right here. The game is doing to sell a ton, and will be a huge keystone release for PS4. Hell I think this game is a bigger deal than Uncharted 4, and will be one of those things people invariably bring up when they talk about PS4 generations down the line.