• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think that will be the reaction at all.
They've bought a load of companies but most of the games released by those companies were still contracted to Sony, the system selling exclusives haven't really begun to come out yet.

Microsoft executives will obviously be aware how long games take to make and won't be expecting miracles after 3 years.
Hardware sales, GP Growth and first party output are all lackluster. Any normal CEO is gonna start questioning things at some point.

This is usually the period where system hit their peak.

They are already very limited on what kind of numbers the share when it comes to Gaming and Xbox, so the couple ones they share should at least be somewhat presentable.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
They have been on this buying spree for several years now yet the output has been very low. I'm sure Satya Nadella did not expect that every studio would take 4, 5 + years *from acquisition date* to output a game. Many should have been part way through projects when they were acquired.

They were part way through projects, and several of those were already in agreement to be developed for Playstation.
They've released games, just not xbox exclusives and so not system sellers.

The idea that they're going to be unhappy with xbox because of the lack of games makes it seem like you think the Microsoft executives have no idea what's going on. I would be incredibly surprised if they weren't made aware of how long this will take to bear fruit when the acquisitions were made.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Market doesn't really care about minor things like Xbox and Surface and even Windows at this point. Cloud revenue was up 22% and that's the money maker. The hype around AI is also driving the positive outlook of their value.
Sure but overall operating income was down 8%. I figured it would be flat at best with a number like that.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Clearly the value proposition of the cheapest way to get into next-gen with the S is not helping them whatsoever. Couple that with the fact that their GP projections are also not being hit means they need their first party output to start churning and ASAP.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The lack of content hurt both GP subs and hardware sales last year. That and no major third party marketing deals either. Nor even much marketing at all compared to the competition. Not even at the TGAs. Very strange.

Obviously they realise content is a weakness which is why they have, and continue to (by virtue of AB acquisition) invest so much in this area. Just a shame it's taking so long to come to fruition, but rather that than they rush stuff out the door half-finished like the old days.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I knew Xbox was going to have some teething problems, especially when the Xbox Series S was cheaper to buy than the (now seven years old) Switch for a long period of time before, during and after the Christmas season.

It has been available to buy for $229/€229/£199 — sometimes with a game or an additional controller — and it still cannot sell more than the Switch or the much more expensive and difficult to find (at the time) PlayStation 5.

I know software was lacking somewhat last year, but seeing a decline this early on in the generation isn't healthy, given that this is the period when consoles should be (or are) hitting their peak.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sure but overall operating income was down 8%. I figured it would be flat at best with a number like that.

Yea but that's income. Revenue grew, which is what the market cares about. The market doesn't care about how much money someone is doing. They care about how much money they could be potentially doing.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Very good of us to presume what Satya Nadella expects lol

Output includes 2 games that had exclusivity signed with PS which MS honored too.

I'm sure the projections showed a bit more than this.

Hardware is still related to stock levels of Series X.

Content degrowth was in line with their expectations if I recall last quarter's statement.

"Degrowth"? That's a new eufemism to me 😂

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Do we know the hardware split? The S by all means could have sold well. It's the X that's never available. They just need content.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I knew Xbox was going to have some teething problems, especially when the Xbox Series S was cheaper to buy than the (now seven years old) Switch for a long period of time before, during and after the Christmas season.

It has been available to buy for $229/€229/£199 — sometimes with a game or an additional controller — and it still cannot sell more than the Switch or the much more expensive and difficult to find (at the time) PlayStation 5.

I know software was lacking somewhat last year, but seeing a decline this early on in the generation isn't healthy, given that this is the period when consoles should be (or are) hitting their peak.

Is this what's behind the Hardware Revenue drop?
People buying the S over the X?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with those about hardware...I literally can find Series S in stores right now, Series X and PS5 are still harder to find in comparison.

Surely having any console from your platform easier to find should have helped? Damn... Hell, I saw 2 PS4's along with a handful of Switch and Series S consoles.

Ahh, -13% is not units? Oh well, I'll leave the experts to try to decipher that then.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I guess Game Pass growth really did stall on console like they said back in October… less hardware sales means less people buying Game Pass (on console).

They still have PC helping it grow, but isn't a great look for their console business this early in the gen.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
Not great, but I feel like it's hard to parse out the exact hardware unit declines from this number, because of the holiday sales of series s and the proportions of series s consoles sold vs series x and how that compares to last year. For an extreme example you could sell 100 series x last quarter (0 series s) and then sell 150 series s (0 series x) this quarter and your revenue would decline like 10%. Wonder if they will add more info during the conference

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Without context and Microsoft not disclosing details for Xbox, a lot of takes are probably premature or completely off, lol.

$20 billion operating profit, sheesh.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Hardware sales\revenue being down 13% is kinda crazy for Year 2.

What is up with that?

They literally had no exclusive software to sell the console on to consumers, while Nintendo and PlayStation had really compelling exclusives during the whole of last year.

The lack of exclusive software is really hurting them bad.

renoch

Jan 16, 2019
Agree with those about hardware...I literally can find Series S in stores right now, Series X and PS5 are still harder to find in comparison.

Surely having any console from your platform easier to find should have helped? Damn... Hell, I saw 2 PS4's along with a handful of Switch and Series S consoles.

It would have helped, imagine what it would have been like if the series S had supply issues as well 😬

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They literally had no exclusive software to sell the console on to consumers, while Nintendo and PlayStation had really compelling exclusives during the whole of last year.

The lack of exclusive software is really hurting them bad.

I guess so, I just figured GamePass would have made up for that due to it's very low bar for entry.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean, you're comparing a quarter with new Halo and new Forza Hotizon to a quarter with…nothing. And a rougher economic state.

Sales down, you say?

I think it's not too tough to see lower numbers without it being OMG Doomed FiRe Everyone. If they launch Forza and Starfield and Redfall and Minecraft and whatever else and they see no movement, then you can worry.

This just seems…logical?

NoAccount

Oct 27, 2017
There was a big bump from the pandemic into games. More people at home, less competition with other entertainment. Looks like Sony was also projecting lower numbers (see above).

Curious if this is partially because the social isolation bump is waning.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
Content degrowth was in line with their expectations if I recall last quarter's statement.

"Degrowth"? That's a new eufemism to me 😂

Quick fyi: Degrowth is a technical term (originally french) in ecological economics / climate sciences for the reduction in material throughput production/consumption as part of climate mitigation and adaptation. I don't think it applies here; it's about moving away from GDP per capita as a wellbeing measure, etc.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I guess so, I just figured GamePass would have made up for that due to it's very low bar for entry.

You would think so but I think the people who are to be enticed by GP have already been penetrated. Now they have to get more people who are literally not interested in the service to get them into it by showing games that are exclusively on Xbox and GP.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Ooofff that's bad. This year should be better with a much stronger software line-up. If it isn't? Well that's going to be a real problem.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CoD, Madden, FIFA, NBA2K, and even Elden Ring on a $299 next gen system + Game Pass library. Not having exclusives doesnt mean the system should start declining, this isnt Nintendo where first party carries the hardware entirely

Call of Duty? Fortnite? Rocket League? Madden? FIFA? GTA? You know, the games people actually pay in mass numbers.

All available on previous gen systems, and as far as i'm aware to get the real major next gen improvements on these titles you'd have to opt for the Series X.

It's just not a compelling enough reason to buy into Series S with what's on offer for most people yet.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you're comparing a quarter with new Halo and new Forza Hotizon to a quarter with…nothing. And a rougher economic state.

Sales down, you say?

I think it's not too tough to see lower numbers without it being OMG Doomed FiRe Everyone. If they launch Forza and Starfield and Redfall and Minecraft and whatever else and they see no movement, then you can worry.

This just seems…logical?
Systems were on shelves and they had agressive sales. Not being to increase hardware numbers is a bad luck so early in the generation.

Last edited:

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Series S a year ago on the promise of a steady flow of 1st party games on game pass. I haven't renewed my Gpass since after fake E3 when they kicked everything into this year, at the earliest.
I'm hopeful the end of this year is gonna be amazing for the service and the company, but it's been a long painful wait for them to get their ducks in a row.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Quick fyi: Degrowth is a technical term (originally french) in ecological economics / climate sciences for the reduction in material throughput production/consumption as part of climate mitigation and adaptation. I don't think it applies here; it's about moving away from GDP per capita as a wellbeing measure, etc.

It's used in India to describe financials/economic performance.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Quite frankly, they've done nothing this generation so far. Maybe 2023 will be the year, but I feel like we've been saying that about Xbox since 2013.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
This is incredibly sad.

The Series X is amazing, I love the damn thing, but yes... They're 1st party lineup has been somewhat lacking (aside from Forza 5 and Flight Sim).

Halo's failings can't have been helpful though...

They need to bring out the heavy hitters! A current-gen Gears will surely help!

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You would think so but I think the people who are to be enticed by GP have already been penetrated. Now they have to get more people who are literally not interested in the service to get them into it by showing games that are exclusively on Xbox and GP.

Point well taken.

GP has taken the hardware as far as it can go at this point, they need the games from their acquisitions to be released to drive more buy-in from their non GP consumers.

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
CoD, Madden, FIFA, NBA2K, and even Elden Ring on a $299 next gen system + Game Pass library. Not having exclusives doesnt mean the system should start declining, this isnt Nintendo where first party carries the hardware entirely
All those are available on xbox one x and bar for game pass are on PlayStation.

They need exclusives.