• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Well, I guess that's the end of that for the whole 'Indie AAA' concept.

Still, smart move by Ms, hopefully with some cash behind them they can make something amazing.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's amazing.hopefully they keep their talent after acquisition instead of going to other studios .

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. OK.

They seemed like they where in that "we better sell or we better shut down" stretch

Curious what they can do with a big budget again

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why anyone would think this is a good thing. Why not just pay them to make games? Why buy the studio?

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. People screamed from the heavens for MS to expand their first party talent and they're going for broke. Great acquisition.
I'm not sure picking up a mediocre studio is what people had in mind. Not sure what the excitement is for this announcement. NT is a mediocre studio at best who haven't shown the ability to make great games consistently

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the last kind of studio they would acquire. I guess that's a good reason why, though.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good acquisition. Ninja Theory felt like they were going nowhere so this may help them. They tend to make solid games even if they're not great.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Well that came out of left field, especially considering their past favoring of Sony.

I'm a bit apprehensive. Thought they were doing well carving an independent niche. Hope this doesn't constrain their creativity.

But, hey, at least I have something to look forward to on Xbox other than Ori.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
FASA Studios, Ensemble Studios, Lionhead Studios, Press Play and Aces Games happily welcome Ninja Theory to the Microsoft family.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh...not a personal fan of this acquisition tbh. The others were obvious gets for them.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That's definitely a solid pickup. Sucks in a way because I liked their AA approach, but maybe it wasnt profitable enough lmao

RichieMythic

Oct 27, 2017
England, UK
Pretty disappointed to hear this news honestly, Ninja Theory have been one of my favourite developers for a long time so I'm saddened I probably won't get to play any of their future games without shelling out for another console.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tameem antoniades sick of eating rice and beans every day just so his game can reach market
Yeah basically. MS probably didn't have to reach too much into their pockets for this studio.

Good get though. I liked their output from Enslaved to Hellblade and hope MS will grant them a lot of creative freedom.

Edit: When I think about it... even though Hellblade seems to be slightly profitable, maybe this acquisition is the only viable way forward for the studio mid- and longterm. It is clear they will never make titles which appeal to the mass market and eventually they might've shuttered down.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
GIVE THEM BACK

giphy.gif

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm hoping they give them a huge budget but throw some decent writers at them. I've not really liked anything they've made so far so it'll be interesting to see what they do as a first party developer. They definately have the graphical know-how though.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Well, this sucks. Games that would have otherwise been multiplatform are now going to be Xbox (and Windows Store) exclusives. Guess State of Decay 2 won't be coming to Steam after all.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade's already one of the best-looking games anywhere. They're going to do insane things with a serious budget.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a great deal for both ends.

Ninja Theory has a lot of potential to create big budgeted, well made story heavy games, and Microsoft currently has no studio focused on that, and they clearly need to expand their first-party portfolio.

Now treat the studio well, give all the conditions for them to release a great game and I might buy a Xbox in the future.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Not too happy about them acquiring Ninja Theory, as it seemed like they were doing fine on their own, but I suppose as long as they can keep putting out interesting games like Hellblade then I am fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.