• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
www.tweaktown.com

Microsoft has more best-sellers on PlayStation Store than Sony does

Microsoft is significantly leveraging its competitor's platform to sell games, showing just how inter-connected both Xbox and PlayStation really are.
97684_25_microsoft-has-more-games-on-playstations-top-25-best-sellers-than-sony-does.png

Sony and Microsoft may be direct competitors, but sales charts also show just how mutualistic the two companies are.
Microsoft has grown considerably now that it owns Activision Blizzard King, so by virtue of its sheer size, it's not really a surprise that its games now have a larger share and populate multiple charts. To get a better idea of both Xbox's size and its synergistic relationship with Sony, we can take a quick look at best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.
I originally checked the PS Store charts to see if the Fallout TV show bumped franchise sales (it has), but when checking the list I noticed something interesting: Xbox had more games on the PS Store's top 25 best-selling games than Sony did.
Before we look at the data, I have to bring up some very important context points:
  • PlayStation Store rankings change on a daily basis and the info provided below only reflects current standings
  • Listings are based on region, will be different depending on which country/region you live in
  • The best-sellers list includes free-to-play games like Fortnite, and even updates like Overwatch 2
  • Prices fluctuate and discounted games will often top the lists and/or be included
Now onto the data.
97684_1_microsoft-has-more-games-on-playstations-top-25-best-sellers-than-sony-does_full.png

According to the PS Store listings on the PS5 console, as of today, April 18, 2024, Microsoft had 7 out of the top 25 best-selling games on the PlayStation Store.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple factors.

A) MS owns now two major publishers who had multiplat games and audiences on PS as well. (Also Mojang)
B) MS is releasing new games for PS users that were on Xbox.
C) Sony doesn't have that many games releasing in April bar Stellar Blade while MS is releasing more.
D) Some new traction for older titles like Fallout due to the success of the TV SHOW (much like TLOU show for TLOU games).

MS is the biggest publisher on the market, not really shocking that their games sell when said games sold on XBOX (XGS games) and elsewhere (Mojang, Bethesda, ABK).

Also this just covers a particular point in time and isn't general. Even then, with ABK, Bethesda, Mojang, etc... MS is the biggest third party publisher on PS.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
I feel like this isn't a completely apt comparison due to multiple factors, but that won't stop console warring in this thread i bet

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Console war rhetoric
Great! Now MS should ditch the console and bring all of their games to PS and everywhere else on day 1.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's no wonder they're looking to expand their 3rd-party presence. With ABK in the picture, the vast majority of their heavy-hitters are already multiplatform. And if Tom Warren is right about the next Xbox going all in on being a PC… why not support PS and Switch as much as possible?

Jul 2, 2021
The "side-effect" when you buy two 3rd party multiplatform publishers for almost $80 billion.
Yes, you will have some games in the top 25 charts on "rival consoles".
That's what Microsoft is now. A 3rd party multiplatform publisher for PlayStation, Nintendo, PC and Mobile.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Nice.
I guess that can happen if you buy a game publisher that releases games on Playstation.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS is literally the biggest publisher in the industry.

But I do wonder what kind of effect this type of info has on their way of thinking for the future of the brand. How do you cut off such a large portion of your income.

Schmitz

Jan 3, 2023
User warned: Platform wars
Reads like those kids who bought a house in their late teens and all it took was a simple loan from their parents.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
One day the hot daily internet gaming discussion won't bring me brain rot but it's not today

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I mean, the Fallout games weren't published when MS even owned Bethesda and are currently on sale for $5 (fallout 4) and $8 respectively (Fallout 76). Plus, Call of Duty is Call of Duty. Cool to see Sea of Thieves doing well though.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every game on that chart was developed by a studio that was bought up over two decades of aggressive acquisition in the industry. Yes, it is factual but this article is kind of click-baity.

Good to see Sea of Thieves having success on Playstation already, that game really deserves it after the launch it had.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Why does MS need to put their games on PlayStation?
You're asking why Call of Duty needs to be on PlayStation?

Because that's the sort of thing we're talking about, here. 5 of the 7 Microsoft games in the top 25 on PS are Activision Blizzard/Bethesda/Mojang titles that have been on PS for years. Only two of the charting games are related to Microsoft's recent decision to experiment with porting some more of their titles to PS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If only there was a way to report on Sea of Thieves doing well that didn't feed into insane console warring.

If only we could just celebrate a game doing well instead of using it to draw up battle lines and pit people against each other.

If only...

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, this is what happens when you buy publishers with popular established franchises. What an amazing achievement.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Someone wanted some clicks today.

Not like MS didn't spend the nearly the collective capital of all of Sony in acquisitions….🤷🏿‍♂️

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
More Microsoft games will come to PlayStation, especially if the EC and/or FTC mandate that devices cannot exclude other store fronts.

If that happens, we'll see every Microsoft game under the sun come to PlayStation via the Microsoft Store for that sweet, sweet 100% revenue share.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean PS5 has no games, specially open world RPGs set in Space or arcade driving games set Mexico, maybe MS could help with that 😗.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
When I go to the PlayStation store on PS5 it is has a huge full page banner for Fallout games using the 25th anniversary mural from a few years ago, which contains characters from games not available on PS5. lol

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what's next on the release schedule. Seems like it's gonna work out well for them to release their games on PS.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If only there was a way to report on Sea of Thieves doing well that didn't feed into insane console warring.

If only we could just celebrate a game doing well instead of using it to draw up battle lines and pit people against each other.

Sea of Thieves is doing well! But of course that's going to get lost in all this.

My favorite thing about the discourse around Microsoft in gaming is that they're either a dominant monopolistic force that is crushing the industry or they're some has-been failure with flatlining sales that's about to be forced out of the console industry, depending on what argument the person is making and what day of the week it is.

MS is literally the biggest publisher in the industry.

But I do wonder what kind of effect this type of info has on their way of thinking for the future of the brand. How do you cut off such a large portion of your income.
Who says they're intending to?

Remember all the skepticism that Microsoft was somehow lying about their plans to keep CoD multiplatform, like they were trying to pull a fast one on the CMA and would clearly make CoD as exclusive as was legally allowed, as quickly as they were legally allowed to, even though basically everyone who knew anything about the deal was like "it doesn't actually make sense to spend tens of billions of dollars on an IP just to cut it off at the knees"?