Status
Not open for further replies.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
From Idas Response from Sony

A new internal report from MLex says this:

Microsoft's Call of Duty deal with Nintendo is misleading, Sony argues

Sony has criticized Microsoft's deal to make the game Call of Duty available on Nintendo — should its $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard be approved by regulators — as smoke and mirrors, MLex has learned.

Activision Blizzard could supply Call of Duty to Nintendo today, but doesn't, because Nintendo's younger audience is not interested in the first-person shooter and a previous version of the game on its console was a commercial flop, the arch critic of the deal says, MLex understands.

Instead of being a logical business decision, the licensing agreement is a tactic designed to make Microsoft — whose acquisition has drawn concerns in the EU, UK and US — look cooperative with regulators, the argument goes.

Furthermore, Nintendo's Switch could not run Call of Duty easily and may never be able to, Sony argues, MLex understands. Developing a version of the game compatible with the Switch could take years, making a 10-year licensing deal meaningless.

It is easier for Nintendo to enter into such an agreement, Sony says, MLex has learned. Nintendo doesn't need to worry about equal treatment for its subscription service or cloud gaming service as those are not areas where it currently competes aggressively, the argument goes.
Just imagine Microsoft releasing a demo of a call of duty for the Switch in response

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Sony really believes they are out here fighting for their lives. The dishonesty is off the charts.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
That Sony response is just golden. Kids don't like COD (clearly false), the switch can't run it (false and even if true, hardware improvements come, so for a 10 year deal, so it's an irrelevant statement), and COD is less important to Nintendo right now, so of course they can agree to a 10 year commitment. (Irrelevant as the issue at hand is about bringing the game to players and platforms. Arguing that a game may be less impactful to a particular platform at this present time, when the discussion is for a 10 year outlook, is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.)

At this point they'll say anything.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Because that's a very narrow way of looking at things and is irrelevant to the impacts of the acquisition. You look at the future and its impacts, not just the state of the world today.

Again, "market leader" is a buzzword in regards to this case, and it understates how relatively close things are in the gaming industry and how huge all three console manufacturers actually are.

And if this deal goes through I wouldn't even say Sony would be in the lead after a few years. And personally I think Microsoft doesn't even need this acquisition to "catch up".

But I personally think this will go through, I'm just stating why I think people underscore the case Sony has. COD is critical, Sony has data backing this up, it's up to the FTC to see if it's enough to block.

Edit: I can also turn it around and ask why you're defending one of the most valuable companies in the world spending close to 80 billion dollars in two years to potentially make exclusive content when they have all they need to effectively compete as is.
It's not close though, is it? Did Sony not just sell nearly 3 times as many PlayStation's than MS sold Xbox's? And they're already significantly ahead this new gen despite being severely supply constrained and Xbox's being readily available in most places.

Sure, if you ignore the fact that most of them missed Wii U as well. It's more like 1 and a half console. The games that did release had no impact on the system. That's what I questioned at the start. If COD had any impact, the Wii U would have been a relative success. That's what I've been saying.
The Wii U being a uniquely undesirable console is pretty damn important context for why even COD languished on it.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Sony's response is absolutely nuts

1. Yes, COD hasn't sold well on Nintendo platforms in the past. However the Switch is marketed to more than just kids, families, and non-gamers. In particular, Doom Eternal sold extremely well on Switch, and other M rated titles have as well.

2. You're right, they probably wouldn't be able to natively run. These will likely be cloud versions. I don't think any Nintendo fan is expecting more than that.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Both currently seem to be around 25 million with MS admitting that growth has stagnated while PS5 sales are not slowing down. What do you expect these numbers to look like once the next CoD game releases?
I expect GP to grow with ABK games in there.
xCloud is part of the Game Pass ecosystem so you can't really count anyone for just owning a device with a compatible browser.
That's like counting people without an Xbox because they have the option to enter the ecosystem (by buying an Xbox).
No. XCloud is working on the devices you own, thus I count them. Whereas console gaming requires you to purchase a new device. The cost is not comparable between the two.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think people need to accept the company responses are largely pointless. They're not being released for consumers, they're being released for regulators.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Sony obviously is throwing everything and the kitchen sink here because why not, but still amusing that this response can so easily pass as some post from someone here on ERA.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
MLB-The-Show-22---Nintendo-Switch

This took years
I don't think Sony "willingly" released this on Switch and Xbox, but rather that the MLB license essentially demands a release on every major platform,

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
counterpoint: CoD is not criticl

evidence: three of the most popular gaming platforms thrived before/without CoD: Mobile, Switch, Steam

I don't think Sony "willingly" released this on Switch and Xbox, but rather that the MLB license essentially demands a release on every major platform,
oh I know, I just find it weird that Sony would tout difficulties in porting when they themselves had to do porting to Switch. in their favor, MLB is nowhere near CoD. but there's plenty of other examples, like CoD on the Wii, and the id games on Switch. if regulators wanted, they can just ask the popular porting studios if it's possible, and they'll all say "yes"

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
I think people need to accept the company responses are largely pointless. They're not being released for consumers, they're being released for regulators.
Exactly. Sony managed to convince the regulators that Nintendo was a different market because they released Wii Fit like 10 years ago, so they are not talking to people who read video game news for fun. Lawyers say all sorts of stupid stuff if they think the decision maker (regulator or judge) will buy it. They are not particularly concerned with how their statements look to outsiders.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sony has criticized Microsoft's deal to make the game Call of Duty available on Nintendo — should its $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard be approved by regulators — as smoke and mirrors, MLex has learned.

Activision Blizzard could supply Call of Duty to Nintendo today, but doesn't, because Nintendo's younger audience is not interested in the first-person shooter and a previous version of the game on its console was a commercial flop, the arch critic of the deal says, MLex understands.

Instead of being a logical business decision, the licensing agreement is a tactic designed to make Microsoft — whose acquisition has drawn concerns in the EU, UK and US — look cooperative with regulators, the argument goes.

Furthermore, Nintendo's Switch could not run Call of Duty easily and may never be able to, Sony argues, MLex understands. Developing a version of the game compatible with the Switch could take years, making a 10-year licensing deal meaningless.

It is easier for Nintendo to enter into such an agreement, Sony says, MLex has learned. Nintendo doesn't need to worry about equal treatment for its subscription service or cloud gaming service as those are not areas where it currently competes aggressively, the argument goes.
True desparation from Sony. Pathetic really

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Sony managed to convince the regulators that Nintendo was a different market because they released Wii Fit like 10 years ago, so they are not talking to people who read video game news for fun. Lawyers say all sorts of stupid stuff if they think the decision maker (regulator or judge) will buy it. They are not particularly concerned with how their statements look to outsiders.
Exactly this, Sony know it's nonsense, they're not trying to convince us. They're trying to convince the legal entities.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, if you ignore the fact that most of them missed Wii U as well. It's more like 1 and a half console. The games that did release had no impact on the system. That's what I questioned at the start. If COD had any impact, the Wii U would have been a relative success. That's what I've been saying.

One game can't save an entire console. Wow. Especially the wiiU of all consoles.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

evidence: three of the most popular gaming platforms thrived before/without CoD: Mobile, Switch, Steam

oh I know, I just find it weird that Sony would tout difficulties in porting when they themselves had to do porting to Switch. in their favor, MLB is nowhere near CoD. but there's plenty of other examples, like CoD on the Wii, and the id games on Switch. if regulators wanted, they can just ask the popular porting studios if it's possible, and they'll all say "yes"

The players in the mobile market are not the same as those that would play COD, Nintendo's internal franchises are enough to make the Switch a success, and there were other ways to play COD on PC, Steam was just able to provide a ton of other excellent games to make up the difference.

So I'd argue that when the PS5 is the only platform that is 100% undoubtedly in the same market as Xbox, and COD is the biggest-selling game each and every year, it is pretty vital.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty weird that this is being reported here and nowhere else. I hadn't even heard of MLex previously.

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK

The fact that The Witcher 3 somehow just works on Switch shows the power of a good porting job.

Also, what's to say Nintendo isn't planning some cloud gaming functionality in the future, where Microsoft is a market leader?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Exactly this, Sony know it's nonsense, they're not trying to convince us. They're trying to convince the legal entities.
If they convince regulators and lawyers that Switch is for kids and porting will take so long that a 10 year commitment won't matter, then I'll loose all faith in FTC and co. Because these arguments are disproven within seconds.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Also, what's to say Nintendo isn't planning some cloud gaming functionality in the future, where Microsoft is a market leader?

They already have, there's a ton of Switch games (Control, the newer Resident Evils, Dying Light, Plague Tale, Guardians of the Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts) that are only playable on Cloud. This isn't Nintendo's own service (IIRC it runs through Nvidia's service) but it's still an option.

Unless you mean some sort of Cloud gaming service to play Switch games on other devices like Xcloud. I can't see that happening when the Switch is already a portable device.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022

Yeah people are attaching their emotional feelings towards Sony in this thread and assume Sony is answering to forum posters. More than likely, these regulators don't know the ins and outs of the gaming industry where they can call out if someone is being "disingenuous" or "desperate." The regulators probably dont even play videogames I bet. So a statement from Sony might be something they will take at face value. If it ends up working, then Sony did what they were supposed to do.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You do understand Microsoft is gearing towards a future where you stream off the tv? Yet they've stated this won't be the last generation for consoles, they're not considering abandoning physical media and is apparent there are franchises they realize is better on more platforms.

I'm positive they've thought about the repercussions of these decisions ten years down the line.

What they are saying now and what they will be doing in 10 years could be radically different, how many times have companies shifted gears because it benefited them and they had the power to do so? The issue remains after the contract though is what I am saying, and its should a platform holder centered around their own gaming service (that will never be on other consoles) have ownership of such a massive franchise?

If all they needed was MS to say ¨CoD will remain multiplatform, scout´s honor!¨ then there wouldn´t be such a thorough investigation and it would have already passed.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Pretty weird that this is being reported here and nowhere else. I hadn't even heard of MLex previously.
They probably just aren't used to be sourced that often, different uses from like a Bloomberg and its platform used for things that affect the investment market. They are a media platform that covers different parts of the regulatory sector (mergers, buyouts, antitrust, etc.).

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
They already have, there's a ton of Switch games (Control, the newer Resident Evils, Dying Light, Plague Tale, Guardians of the Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts) that are only playable on Cloud. This isn't Nintendo's own service (IIRC it runs through Nvidia's service) but it's still an option.

Unless you mean some sort of Cloud gaming service to play Switch games on other devices like Xcloud. I can't see that happening when the Switch is already a portable device.
Nah, I meant playing Game Pass titles on Switch.

I don't own a Switch and the games I work on don't release there, so lack of visibility on my part.

In either case, any statements from Sony/Microsoft should always be viewed through the lense of "how does this statement benefit the entity that made it", since ultimately both sides are trying to find the resolution that makes them the most money.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
If that really was the official response, then Sony truly has little arguments left to support their claim, IMO.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they do have to recoup, if that were true then purchases that have actually lost money would not exist. You are also treating $70 billion as something as a business lunch write off or sorts which is insane. They want the massive purchase costing $70 billion to make more for them because if they did have to sell out of circumstance there is the risk of losing many more billions than they paid.

Not even MS can treat their billions like pocket change, they would be a very poorly run company if they did.
Losing money on a deal because you end up shuttering the company you bought in an acquisition is not the same thing as having to recoup the purchase price of the company in order to replenish your cash reserves. The goal of a corporation is to earn profits every year, not to keep as much money in the bank as possible. Yes debates could be made about whether spending their cash on a different acquisition would earn more profits but the fallacy I'm talking about is the notion that they spent 70 billion on ABK so now ABK has to earn them 70 billion in order to refill their bank accounts. That's just not how it works.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
No. XCloud is working on the devices you own, thus I count them. Whereas console gaming requires you to purchase a new device. The cost is not comparable between the two.
That's still a silly way to count the devices on which Starfield would be available, not to mention borderline goalpost moving.
The argument was PS5 userbase vs. xCloud, not which ecosystem has the lower barrier of entry.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
What they are saying now and what they will be doing in 10 years could be radically different, how many times have companies shifted gears because it benefited them and they had the power to do so? The issue remains after the contract though is what I am saying, and its should a platform holder centered around their own gaming service (that will never be on other consoles) have ownership of such a massive franchise?

If all they needed was MS to say ¨CoD will remain multiplatform, scout´s honor!¨ then there wouldn´t be such a thorough investigation and it would have already passed.

Yes there would…because call of duty didn't cost 70 billion…abk cost that much. Sony is making a fuss about COD…the deal is being scrutinized because overall it is massive.

They saying that now because they're aware that there's an audience for consoles, phones, pcs, and tvs. And they're not going anywhere in one generation.

And I'm still not seeing how growing an audience on multiple platforms, even one that has been dormant, points to future exclusivity. Every piece of actual evidence from Microsoft looks like they want certain franchises to be on as many devices as possible.

They'll have enough content to make other titles exclusive.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's still a silly way to count the devices on which Starfield would be available, not to mention borderline goalpost moving.
The argument was PS5 userbase vs. xCloud, not which ecosystem has the lower barrier of entry.
The original argument was that Starfield is playable by more people, because xCloud is usable on Android and so on. You then essentially said you won't count these devices and only acknowledge GP current subs as a audience instead. Which then lead us to comparing PS5 vs GP numbers. Agree to disagree.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

This with Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, Wolfenstein II, Alien Isolation, Hellblade, Metro Redux, Dying Light, No Man's Sky, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite all already ported to Switch...

...and Switch 2 expected to be announced/released next year too.

They're just pathetic at this point.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Hugely pathetic and transparent response. I mostly just observed this deal from afar to this point. But damn, the dishonesty in this salty ass response is crazy.

Ah yes, those young kids despise first person shooters.

For real. Just absurd really. The sooner everyone stops entertaining Sony with this dishonest nonsense the better. Gamers even get a win out of it with VOD support on Nintendo consoles for 10 years.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The tech nerd in me is actually really excited to see how exactly how well they get CoD running on Switch's successor. Will they hire a porting studio? Will they spin something up in-house with Microsoft's backing? Because now they are on the hook to bring it over and Phil said the intent is for it to be native. So, I'm looking forward to the journey to get from here to CoD on Drake.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Nah, I meant playing Game Pass titles on Switch.

I don't own a Switch and the games I work on don't release there, so lack of visibility on my part.

In either case, any statements from Sony/Microsoft should always be viewed through the lense of "how does this statement benefit the entity that made it", since ultimately both sides are trying to find the resolution that makes them the most money.

No worries. Though I will say that I'd love if games like Dirt and Grid came to Switch! We kinda need some more Sim-focused racing games, Mario Kart doesn't cut it sometimes :)

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect something from Sony like this, besides some off-the-table office talk that never really goes beyond the office.
Pretty much the conversation going...

Nintendo: *minding their own business with their system, 1st, 2nd and 3rd party relations*
Microsoft: "Hey Nintendo, do you want some COD if this deal with Acti-Blizz passes we already got Valve on board with it?"
Nintendo: "Yeah sure."
Sony: "Why should they get it? And even if they did it wouldn't matter anyways. Acti-Blizz already didn't release COD games on Switch because its made for children and those gamers don't care for first person shooters. Plus the Switch hardware sucks and would take years to port a COD game to it."
lol well put

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The tech nerd in me is actually really excited to see how exactly how well they get CoD running on Switch's successor. Will they hire a porting studio? Will they spin something up in-house with Microsoft's backing? Because now they are on the hook to bring it over and Phil said the intent is for it to be native. So, I'm looking forward to the journey to get from here to CoD on Drake.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see how CoD on Switch 2 runs. Especially when CoD stops being developed for PS4 and Xbox One. I wonder how close to Series S the switch 2 can realistically get. Probably not that close, but maybe enough to make ports relatively easy.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Same, I'm very curious what their solution would be. The best bet is probably to use a dedicated support studio, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.