• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I am really pulling for a strong Crackdown showing at XO18; a nice catchy trailer at the event followed by some deep dive gameplay sessions during the Fan Fest would be more than enough for me.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
And I have to download every Xbox press conference
u7YP5rK.png

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Haven't seen a confirmation on this yet, but Phil Spencer will be part of the X018 event. I expect him to have a segment at the X018 Inside Xbox show?

I'm honestly wondering about the concrete format. I mean I know it will be a two-day event with fans being there, playable games and various hands-on streams. The Inside Xbox 2 hour episode will probably be the "main event" with various announcements - I wonder if they will do that in front of the live audience. Would be great imo. These reactions always are hype and create some of the most memorable moments.

Yeah February would be a super empty month without Crackdown.
Other than Anthem there is nothing else I care for in February to be honest.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah February would be a super empty month without Crackdown.

Haha, well there is nothing in Feb that interests me personally, but I get your meaning.

I'm honestly wondering about the format. I mean I know it will be a two-day event with fans being there, playable games and various hands-on streams. The Inside Xbox 2 hour episode will probably be the "main event" - I wonder if they will do that in front of the live audience. Would be great imo.

I hope they do a live audience event.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Haven't seen a confirmation on this yet, but Phil Spencer will be part of the X018 event. I expect him to have a segment at the X018 Inside Xbox show?

I'm honestly wondering about the concrete format. I mean I know it will be a two-day event with fans being there, playable games and various hands-on streams. The Inside Xbox 2 hour episode will probably be the "main event" with various announcements - I wonder if they will do that in front of the live audience. Would be great imo. These reactions always are hype and create some of the most memorable moments.

Other than Anthem there is nothing else I care for in February to be honest.

I think this is an obvious thing. He announced that personally. He is the head of whole gaming wing in Microsoft. X018 for sure will be like some press conference similar to PlayStation Experience and the previous X0's, so Phil have to be there. Mexico is important market for Xbox as well. And I guess some press will be there, so Phil have to be there as well to get some new interesting interviews.

Also, he have to be there to announce something cool and huge personally to gamers.

PS. I'd really like to meet him face-to-face, to talk about something not officially and to drink some beer maybe as well ^^
But… It'll be just a dream :(

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Do you think Vanquish 2 could be still real thing, also with Xbox exclusivity? I personally hope so.
Good question. Here's what we know: Sega owns the IP. The first game was made by Platinum, but they are currently working on at least three major project that we know about, so they're probably out. I do think the idea that there was a PC report released early last year might be a sign that someone is bringing the franchise back, but I think it is extremely unlikely. If Microsoft was going to have Sega develop a MSGP title, I think there are much better properties to use than Vanquish. I also don't see Microsoft paying Sega to use the IP and developing the game in house when they could either use the Enslaved: Odyssey to the West IP (which is pretty similar, even though the setting is a bit different) or just create a new IP.

I also think that going forward, Microsoft is going to avoid having MSGP titles be shooters. Microsoft already has a pretty deep shooter profile (with 343 and The Coalition being two of their top four or five studios) and the plethora of third-party shooters available every year. I also expect gun-play in the new Initiative title, even if the game is more action-adventure oriented (which again, I expect).

Jan 4, 2018
Don't bet on it. If they can't be bothered to do anything meaningful with Banjo, then there's absolutely no hope for Conker. I've basically given up on MS and Rare doing anything with their IPs at this point. I think the most we'll get is a 10th anniversary Nuts & Bolts remaster at X0-18 or some shit.

Nuts and Bolts isn't a Banjo. It never will be.

This TERRIBLE game doesn't deserve any anniversary.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
That the game is happening or that it's Xbox exclusive? Because I'm pretty sure any exclusivity is wishful thinking with no substance.

Conviction was a thing, plus working with Microsoft and using game pass could mitigate what Ubisoft believes to be a risk in making another game along the lines of Blacklist versus taking it in the direction Assassin's Creed went.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
You make a good point and it could happen. It's still wishful thinking though.
Ubisoft also recently came out and said a new Splinter Cell game was a "matter of resource allocation." I think that maybe the game was funded by Microsoft and will be an exclusive and Ubisoft said that because they're preparing people for the reality that it may not be available on all platforms. They're possible preparing for a defense that the game wouldn't have happened without Microsoft if people of other platforms are disappointed.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Ubisoft also recently came out and said a new Splinter Cell game was a "matter of resource allocation." I think that maybe the game was funded by Microsoft and will be an exclusive and Ubisoft said that because they're preparing people for the reality that it may not be available on all platforms. They're possible preparing for a defense that the game wouldn't have happened without Microsoft if people of other platforms are disappointed.

Shit if Sony can hog Spider Man of all things then MS can hog Splinter Cell if they fund it.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I know this is probably unlikely but is their any chance Microsoft purchased an IP like they did Gears? As big as Gears was for Epic it's still surprising they sold it.

I recall someone on here (I believe someone with knowledge) said Microsoft was looking to buy timed and full exclusives, nothing revealed so far has been either or iirc. Maybe the splinter cell rumor has some juice?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Phil said the XO event would be held same time as the fan fest. I think will get more info soon.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Wow just saw that. You could be right. Most rumors and rumblings have splinter cell well into development(I was sure it was going to be announced last e3). These commits make it sound like Ubisoft is prepping for an exclusivity announcement.... that or the game is really not being worked on.

Rodneybouch

Feb 28, 2018
The only real information we know is that ubisoft has a AAA game that is not annouce yet for 2019 either watch dogs 3 or splinter cell.

Coming from ubisoft annual report

In mid-May 2018, the Group updated its 2018/2019 objectives:

♦ sales per IFRS 15 of around €2,000 million (1);
♦ net bookings of approximately €2,050 million to be compared
with the prior objective of €2,100 million, on the basis of:

• 3 new AAA launches (The Crew 2, The Division 2 and an
unannounced franchise) for 19 million units, compared to the
previously expected 4 AAA and 23 million units. In keeping with
previous practices, and on the strength of the acceleration in
digital transformation, back catalog growth and the excellent
momentum of recent releases, the Company has decided to
allocate more development time to Skulls & Bones, thereby
offering an even more engaging experience for players. Skull &
Bones™ is now expected during the 2019-2020 financial year.

I personnally think that the walmart canada leak was 90% correct for now. Ubisoft may have a push the game back to give it sometimes. I also think that Ghost recon Wildland presence for Sam Fisher and the little easter egg in Assassin creed odyssey are not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
Next gen MS will need to focus on Europe a lot more. I have no idea how they'll even begin to tackle that issue but they have to start somewhere.

This is a very important point, I feel they need a proper strategy for Europe, we could look at Europe specific Hardware accessories, tie-ups with big European Offline Retailers to put Xbox front and center, get FIFA marketing again, Champions League Sponsorship and E-Sport Tournaments in Europe more often, bigger presence during PGS, Gamescom etc.
Well, I don't know what you think about this, but for me MS having 2 FanFest (1 Gamescom, 1 PGW) in Europe the same year is a clear improvement.
I don't think we've ever had that many (probably there's been years ago, but recent years they didn't have even 1)
Iam against multiplatform games going exclusive to one console. I hope Splinter cell is on all platforms.

Don't want SC to get same hate and negativity that TR received in 2015

They can pull a Street Fighter V

"This game would've never happened or happened much later if not for MS funding"
I know this is probably unlikely but is their any chance Microsoft purchased an IP like they did Gears? As big as Gears was for Epic it's still surprising they sold it.

I recall someone on here (I believe someone with knowledge) said Microsoft was looking to buy timed and full exclusives, nothing revealed so far has been either or iirc. Maybe the splinter cell rumor has some juice?
If I remember correctly, it was actually someone from Obsidian that gave the heads up that MS was out looking for studios and games, both exclusive and timed exclusives

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

I don't know what they're doing, but I think we need to expand our (Forza) horizons on what second or third-party deals Microsoft may be willing to make. It sounds like 12-18 months ago, Phil and the Xbox team got the green-light from corporate to take a long, hard look at what they were doing with the Xbox division and make some changes to make them competitive with Sony and give them a bigger head start as Amazon and Google intensify their efforts in the space. Obviously, we've heard about Microsoft going out and acquiring studios. They made a big splash at E3 with the announcement of the first set of new Microsoft Studios and I think it's pretty obvious we'll hear about more acquisitions at XO18. If I was Phil and Matt and was just given the Microsoft black card to try to build the brand, I'd have done the same thing. Studios are an ever-flowing river of projects and incoming revenue and allow them to bolster Gamepass with an ever-updating catalog, increasing the value proposition for customers and bringing more people into the program, which it seems like they see as the future.

Now, the second thing I would do if I had a nice increase in the budget is I would reach out to established and consistently good game creators and see which projects you could collaborate on. If I had to guess, I would say that's how Microsoft ended up with the DMC5, Jump Force, and Sekiro marketing rights when they're probably a more natural fit with Sony. They also probably paid a pretty penny for the marketing rights for Cyberpunk 2077 and Anthem. Marketing rights are something that can be done quickly (so, if Microsoft started this pursuit in the last 12 months, that'd be the only thing that would be announced). Other than marketing rights, I would also try to get key exclusives from established franchises and developers. I am confident now that Crackdown 3 will be a solid game, but I do think that Microsoft thinks the game took a really long time and its development was a bit of a struggle. I think they will be willing to pay a premium to work with developers that have a track record of getting games out on time and on budget. Ubisoft is seemingly a great fit and Splinter Cell is a recently dormant franchise that has a history on Xbox.

Other natural fits are for Microsoft:

-A Microsoft-funded Capcom exclusive (renewing the relationship between the companies from the Dead Rising franchise) from either the Onimusha, Dino Crisis, or Dead Rising (although I think with Undead Labs being acquired it becomes a bit redundant) franchises.

-A Microsoft-funded Sega exclusive from an established Sega strategy franchise that previously existed only on PC, another Halo Wars (I don't see the appeal in Halo Wars, but apparently people love it), Gunstar Heroes (could be made by Studio MDHR as it was the clear inspiration for Cuphead), or even a return of Jet Set Radio (Phil has said he loves the franchise and is trying to get JSRF on OG BC).

-A Microsoft-funded FromSoftware game from a new IP. Some will say this is incredibly unlikely, but I actually think it's a pretty easy sell. FromSoftware is a very creative company. Microsoft could go to them and let them do whatever they wanted. Maybe they have a project sitting in a dusty filing cabinet they've really wanted to do for a long time, but they see it as too risky or "out there?" I personally would love to see Microsoft take a shot on something really unique with FromSoft.

-A Microsoft-funded new IP from 4A Games. 4A released their first non-Metro game last year, a VR shooter. I think they may want or be willing to move to something different for a development cycle. Who knows what sort of games they would pitch if given the opportunity?

-A Microsoft-funded Crimson Skies reboot from Frontier Developments.

-Another game from Sumo Digital or Playful.

I'm not saying that any of these will happen. They're total speculation, but I think these are definitely the types of conversations that Matt and Phil have been having in the last twelve months. I think that Microsoft will swing for the fence for the launch of the next generation with a few big second-party titles (much like Dead Rising 3 (from Capcom) and Ryse (from Crytek) launching with the Xbox One) to try to win back some market share they lost this generation.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
If I remember correctly, it was actually someone from Obsidian that gave the heads up that MS was out looking for studios and games, both exclusive and timed exclusives
I really hope Microsoft won't pay for timed exclusive again.

Other natural fits are for Microsoft:
All of these would just be a waste of money. Yeah, Microsoft needs more exclusives, but it doesn't make sense to pay a fortune for a third party exclusive.

They need to find the new Playground Games, the new Moon Studios. A small studio that they can help to grow, which will make Xbox exclusives for years. It's a much better investment.

Microsoft must not think short term, but long term. They will still be there in 5 or 10 years, so they need to find partners who can stay with them. It's longer than paying an exclusive from a third party publisher, but it's really more interesting for Microsoft.

I have said it before: the problems of this generation has begun during the Xbox 360. It's because Microsoft spend too much money during this era for third party exclusives that they don't have enough first party studios now.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

God I hope not, timed exclusives are just such a waste of time and money nowadays, games like Rise of the tomb raider and Super Guacamelee 2 would have been so much better off without those deals.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
I really hope Microsoft won't pay for timed exclusive again.

All of these would just be a waste of money. Yeah, Microsoft needs more exclusives, but it doesn't make sense to pay a fortune for a third party exclusive.

They need to find the new Playground Games, the new Moon Studios. A small studio that they can help to grow, which will make Xbox exclusives for years. It's a much better investment.

Microsoft must not think short term, but long term. They will still be there in 5 or 10 years, so they need to find partners who can stay with them. It's longer than paying an exclusive from a third party publisher, but it's really more interesting for Microsoft.

I have said it before: the problems of this generation has begun during the Xbox 360. It's because Microsoft spend too much money during this era for third party exclusives that they don't have enough first party studios now.

God I hope not, timed exclusives are just such a waste of time and money nowadays, games like Rise of the tome raider and Super Guacamelee 2 would have been so much better off without those deals.
My bad, it wasn't Obsidian.
Feargus said to Eurogamer when asked how difficult is for an Indie dev to find work that "MS is looking..."
It was Flashbulb games who said it
https://mspoweruser.com/indie-dev-says-microsoft-actively-looking-games-get-xbox-exclusives/

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
God I hope not, timed exclusives are just such a waste of time and money nowadays, games like Rise of the tome raider and Super Guacamelee 2 would have been so much better off without those deals.

I think they have to get a couple of 3rd party collaborations/exclusives tbh at least to start next gen with.
Consider the competition going as well as they are, with the devs they have are still doing 3p deals.
When Sony come next gen with Nioh 2, persona whatever and Spiderman 2, MS need to reply in kind

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I think PG Games would make a great Crimson Skies game if they put proper resources into it.

I'd love to see Playground give Crimson Skies a go! They know how to make vehicles look and feel good, how to make amazing skyboxes and landscapes, and how to underpin games with a compelling progression system.

I think they have to get a couple of 3rd party collaborations/exclusives tbh at least to start next gen with.
Consider the competition going as well as they are, with the devs they have are still doing 3p deals.
When Sony come next gen with Nioh 2, persona whatever and Spiderman 2, MS need to reply in kind
Accumulating 3rd party collabs and exclusives just to respond in kind, would be tantamount to a dick measuring contest. MS will need more games, but resources will be better spent in building/buying new studios and sub-studios, rather than courting 3rd parties for exclusive titles.

Last edited:

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't have anything to do with Persona and Spider-Man is a 1st party game. Persona could be next on the list of 3rd party games coming to Xbox for all we know.

Still, though. I get what you mean, and I wouldn't put it past MS to go for 1-2 3rd party exclusives.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iam against multiplatform games going exclusive to one console. I hope Splinter cell is on all platforms.

Don't want SC to get same hate and negativity that TR received in 2015
Splinter Cell is a bit of a special case because the series was originally an Xbox hardware shadowcase

Apparently the exclusivity deal for the original Splinter Cell was basically a formality. Game released in November 2002. MS had exclusivity until the end of the year. PC came in Feb 2003, PS2/GC in March 2003 -- five months later. (It was a very challenging project to port because of the hardware disparity between the Xbox and the other platforms. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131239/postmortem_tom_clancys_splinter_.php ) But they could have released on Jan 1, 2003 and MS would have been fine with that. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/article_47039

Even though Splinter Cell was multiplatform, the other consoles received significantly compromised experiences. They basically had to be rebuilt by another team to run on the PS2/GC. That kind of dynamic isn't really possible anymore because the main consoles are so similar. Far Cry could be exclusive to Xbox back then because none of the other consoles could really handle it. But that wouldn't happen today.

As for whether MS would do another timed exclusive for Splinter Cell, the series certainly has a history of it. They even had Conviction as a full console exclusive. I don't imagine Ubisoft would want to do any sort of full exclusivity deal, though. I think there's a decent chance Splinter Cell will be at MS's conference next month. If the Walmart leak is to be believed both PS4 and XBO versions exist, but further specifics are "wait and see" material.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Now, the second thing I would do if I had a nice increase in the budget is I would reach out to established and consistently good game creators and see which projects you could collaborate on. If I had to guess, I would say that's how Microsoft ended up with the DMC5, Jump Force, and Sekiro marketing rights when they're probably a more natural fit with Sony.

Right, but there's also the fact that those games need more exposure on Xbox, whereas it's expected that they will do well on PlayStation by default. It's the same reason why Remedy partnered with Sony on marketing for Control. The recent Twitter poll that they did showed that the overwhelming majority of people (who voted) intend to get the game on Xbox, that's why giving it more exposure on PlayStation makes perfect sense.

Speaking of collaborations, Louis Castle, one of the co-founders of Westwood Studios, was on a recent episode of The Retro Hour podcast. He said that he would love to be given an opportunity to do a Blade Runner remake. Forget about Marvel, Microsoft should get the Blade Runner license, give the man a world-class team and a few bags of cash, and let him do his magic. That game is still so, so good.

Jan 4, 2018
Obisidian talked about acquisitions, IIRC this guy was talking about Ms bringing games that wouldn't come to xbox otherwise.
Quote from Flashbulb dev:
"Without going into too much detail, I know for sure that Microsoft have got their cheque book out and are actively seeking out both smaller and larger titles they can get as an Xbox exclusive, both timed and full on."

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can't see Splinter Cell being an exclusive, full or timed. Ubisoft has been on an absolute tear this generation especially with their Tom Clancy games and I don't see them taking any chances to dilute that well. I do expect marketing rights with Microsoft though given their long history.

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Microsoft is gonna buy Obsidian "almosted guaranteed" and work out a huge major deal with Disney.. And announce "Kotor 3" and watch the forums explode !! This is the best we can expect ever. Ohh and Fable to be a new IP without the horrible Fable art.

vorimenn

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
London, United Kingdom.
Well, I don't know what you think about this, but for me MS having 2 FanFest (1 Gamescom, 1 PGW) in Europe the same year is a clear improvement.
I don't think we've ever had that many (probably there's been years ago, but recent years they didn't have even 1)
But this are just timed events for a handful of people.

Marketing direct-to-consumer is weaker than Sony's for PlayStation in Europe. Especially Eastern Europe which was treated strange for Xbox 360 and Xbox One release (one year delay which was very stupid) and during these 5 years Sony did more to encourage people than Microsoft (especially in Poland, which is the biggest country in that region).

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
If it isn't the UK then it doesn't matter to Xbox. They have had a nice budget increase, they should be launching a marketing assault on Europe yet they don't seem to be

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
At this point is kinda pointless to launch anything this gen, it won't do anything... they need to go all out starting next gen with marketing.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it isn't the UK then it doesn't matter to Xbox. They have had a nice budget increase, they should be launching a marketing assault on Europe yet they don't seem to be

I think it's too early to see the fruits of any kind of push into Europe. Maybe next year or next gen. I do agree MS need to improve their situation there.

lol beaten twice, great minds think alike

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest with you, I don't think it makes too much sense doing that offensive this generation. Starting next-gen they should go all-in though.

They should be laying the groundwork for what is to come, which is the whole thing of what they are peddling to us they are doing. Also consoles sell more at the end of the generation? There's no time like the present next gen is still 2 years away, you're just making it harder for yourself when you finally do turn up especially with the pitiful effort they've made for the last decade

Status
Not open for further replies.