• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone see this article?

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/08/microsoft-project-xcloud-game-streaming-service/

The main idea behind Project xCloud is to allow users to play any video game where they feel the most comfortable, or where it's the most convenient, whether that's on a console, a computer or a mobile device. The challenge is, of course, making the games available to stream. To that end, Microsoft is making it as easy as possible for Xbox One game developers to adapt their content for Project xCloud with no additional effort.
However, there are internal tests for Project xCloud going on right now. It runs on mobile devices such as tablets and phones, paired with a wireless Xbox Bluetooth controller. The company is working on proper control mapping based on the device you're using, while also taking advantage of phone and tablet touch screens if you don't have an Xbox controller.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit worrying to me that they specifically mention "Android" phone in the xCloud video. They also only show Android tablets and phones. Hopefully they can strike a deal with Apple to get Xbox One controllers MFI certified as well as have the App pass through. I don't want to stream games with touch controls.

Apple wouldnt let Steam Link on their store because it had a store in it(i assume it still isnt on Apple's Store, idk). So that is more than likely the reason.

There is a reason Im not an Apple fan.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they own mixer I wonder if Microsoft Studios will look at mixer and streaming when thinking of greenlighting games.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
This is the right way to roll it out IMO. Doesn't dilute messaging for other next gen consoles. Makes it clear that streaming is in a testing/pilot stage. To me it's clear that this is in preparation for the 5G world.
Yeah, this is something key to keep in mind. This streaming platform is really an investment into the future, it's easy to be skeptical because of things like latency, bandwidth, data caps, etc. but these are all these that will be addressed by 5G networks. That's not to say it'll ever be able to match the experience offered by dedicated local hardware, but this should hopefully do a great job in expanding audiences which is great for many reasons, but most exciting for me is how it will bring financial viability to more niche gaming experiences.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Game streaming isnt really targeting core gamers per say. It is trying to break down the entry barrier and allow more people to play the same games we are.

Many people cant buy a console, or simply just play games only on their phones. These are the type of people they're trying to reach.

For core gamers who love hardware and buy consoles, the benefit for us is being able to say anywhere anytime.

Agree and disagree. It will expand the base and reach more casuals but as a gaming enthusiast, if I can stream and play games on the go, I will. The preferred platform is a console hard-wired to my 65" Oled. Would love to have the ability to play games like Gears Tactics on a touch screen on the go. Even if streaming has latency on 4G, some games are fine with latency. Xcom, for example, is a game I'm playing right now that would be great on the go. If Microsoft ever gets Persona, that would be great on the go. Life is Strange is another example of a game I'm playing now that will work on the go.

Options are great for the gaming enthusiast and casual gamers.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I would like to see this too, but the recent Xbox All Access makes me think if this happens it's still a long while off. The inclusion of GP and XBL Gold for 24 months is a sign that Gold isn't going away for a while, if ever. I can see them keeping it a requirement only on physical Xbox consoles with mobile and PC not needing it, just because console users are so used to it by now that they can get away with it.
Sure, it's still possible that it's there for only consoles...I just don't think it will happen...as I think at the beginning of next-generation is when Gold will go away and it will just be a tier of Game Pass or just done period and all you have is Game Pass.
It's all gonna be one sub like Office 365 but with different tiers for quality/# of users. They have the model, they are going to use it. They are still going to sell games and consoles (just like companies still sell music). MS is trying to grow their market and I think consolidating and making a better message is the start of that (outside of having the tech to backup your claims).
The launch of the "next-generation" isn't about the Scarlett console...but Xbox as a whole. I've said this before MS has been building up everything for the launch of their next console but it's really a "rebranding" if you will. The reason why I said what I said above is I think that Microsoft has positioned themselves to have the most broad spectrum to sell to gamers for next gen with a great swath of great games.
On launch day of the next console/streaming service you could have these options:

$10 gives you access to all of Microsoft's 1st party games at launch and past games from "last generation"
You can access them on:

A device you own (phone, tablet, pc, xbox one console) for "free"
A scarlett game console.
You have an option to buy games if you want, but you can pay $10 to play the latest and greatest from Microsoft. That's lowering the barrier for people...that's getting more users...that's how you reach the $2 billion gamers. You get all the devices that a person has access to or wants access to (scarlett), get them in a cheap subscription and having them pay monthly. The logic is sound and I'm very sure it will happen.
Oh and for everyone...this is another reason why Sony will put their first party in PSNow like Game Pass. The competition is different. But I don't want to dwell on that as this is a MS topic. But this is what changing the game is about.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Like I've said since forever...all this does (xCloud) is reinfornce my belief.

Xbox Game Pass as the only subscription with different tiers (more users/higher quality).
Xbox Live Gold Multiplayer going away.
All Xbox One boxes will be able to stream.

Xbox wants to be the Netflix of gaming...not the Hulu.
Can't wait to see it all unfold.
EDIT: I see now people are saying stuff that I've said a while ago with the 1 sub, and xbox ones being able to stream. Welcome to my past guys. :)
I keep telling friends that Microsoft has always been ahead of the competition when it comes to gaming.

It was easy to see where they were going when they first started touting cloud compute, and when they finally rolled out game pass. What I like is that they are looking to roll out a product that works. It will be an interesting business going forward.

Oct 26, 2017
Imo it just means that they want to get the messaging right. Announcing this on a random Monday with a well-made video results in a better messaging than bury the announcenent with tons of other news that could only result in mixed messaging.

Yep, that, but also the fact alone that they decided to have a separate event from inside Xbox. They definitely will have something that warranted its own show. Could be new studio(s) or something else.

Phil did say they would have first and third party announcements. Remains to be seen if that means a new first party game or perhaps dlc for FH4 for example. I'm keeping my expectations low though.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I expect more first party megatons at X0 tbh. MS is getting all this tech in place (streaming, game pass, scarlett, etc) but it won't amount to much without exclusive content. They are at a disadvantage against Sony in this regard but well ahead of potential threats like Amazon and Google.

Also my out of left field prediction for X0 is MS drops XBL Gold and online play becomes free.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Like I've said since forever...all this does (xCloud) is reinfornce my belief.

Xbox Game Pass as the only subscription with different tiers (more users/higher quality).
Xbox Live Gold Multiplayer going away.
All Xbox One boxes will be able to stream.

Xbox wants to be the Netflix of gaming...not the Hulu.
Can't wait to see it all unfold.
EDIT: I see now people are saying stuff that I've said a while ago with the 1 sub, and xbox ones being able to stream. Welcome to my past guys. :)
Microsoft have always been ahead of the game when it comes to what they roll out on services and what they look to accomplish at the hardware level.

I hope that they succeed with their vision, because it is that same vision that they had when they started out that had me investing on their console. This looks like the Microsoft that was ramping up for the next generation when they moved from Xbox to 360; only way better because they now have an idea of how to leverage everything they are great at to try and target as many users as possible. This is what leads into them trying to have an industry leading first party setup.

I expect more first party megatons at X0 tbh. MS is getting all this tech in place (streaming, game pass, scarlett, etc) but it won't amount to much without exclusive content. They are at a disadvantage against Sony in this regard but well ahead of potential threats like Amazon and Google.
I expect at least three developers being brought into the fray. To have a show like X0 should mean that they have something significant to show.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
You will get one first party game announcement a la Gamescom conferences. It's a mini E3 but it's not E3.

The megatons will come at E3; expecting first party megaton announcements at X0 is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I don't think they have anything to announce like that. Not in the sense of them having another exclusive on the Gears 5 level for next year or spring 2020. The investments that they're making now are for next gen. Perhaps they have smaller titles like Battletoads to announce, though.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I don't think they have anything to announce like that. Not in the sense of them having another exclusive on the Gears 5 level for next year or spring 2020. The investments that they're making now are for next gen. Perhaps they have smaller titles like Battletoads to announce, though.
I'm sticking with my prediction that Ninja Theory will release a game in Fall 2019 or Q1 2020.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When do you folks reckon we'll get the Scarlett streaming device now that X-Cloud is a known quantity of sorts? Fall 2019 seems like the earliest to me.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I'm sticking with my prediction that Ninja Theory will release a game in Fall 2019 or Q1 2020.
I think that's possible. It depends on how much contract work they have to left complete, how much was spent in resources porting Hellblade to Xbox and VR, etc.

But I think it matters that they're punting on Forza Motorsport for next year. That shows their commitment to Scarlett better than anything. Any titles they have coming to Xbox One that aren't already announced (as in potential games other than Crackdown, Ori, Battletoads, Gears of War) are a bonus for me since I really think that Gears 5 is kind of the last big exclusive they'll have on the system.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The best part about the streaming service is that it's another way to strengthen the platform. With Play Anywhere, Gamepass and now streaming available day 1 as options the developers and publishers can use to increase their sales/revenue...

Phil has been consistently making the platform more attractive, and if they play their cards right the service can be successful in areas where xbox never were, making it a very hard platform to skip.

If that Phil tweet about going to Japan this week again, I'm sure we will see some more Japanese games at x018.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Agree and disagree. It will expand the base and reach more casuals but as a gaming enthusiast, if I can stream and play games on the go, I will. The preferred platform is a console hard-wired to my 65" Oled. Would love to have the ability to play games like Gears Tactics on a touch screen on the go. Even if streaming has latency on 4G, some games are fine with latency. Xcom, for example, is a game I'm playing right now that would be great on the go. If Microsoft ever gets Persona, that would be great on the go. Life is Strange is another example of a game I'm playing now that will work on the go.

Options are great for the gaming enthusiast and casual gamers.

I did say that the benefit for core would being able to play anywhere, any time (Portable) in my original post.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why we can't expect something huge? If PlayStation Experience could bring some megatons, so why X0 couldn't?
You are free to expect whatever you want, but don't be disappointed afterwards. Xbox is very E3-centric. With X0 events being back, this will obviously change a bit - but expecting E3-like (quality and quantity) announcements seems wrong. And no, PSX isn't doing that either.

grkazan11

Nov 1, 2017
I've been contemplating getting an Xbox One X for the past couple of weeks, I know it's an interim console, but with Red Dead 2 coming up I just wanted to play the best version of the game on console. I like the idea of having that luxury with third party games as well. I currently have 43' Sony 4K TV and a1080p Plasma.

With next gen being on the horizon (2020?), would it be wise to jump into an Xbox One X?

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
You are free to expect whatever you want, but don't be disappointed afterwards. Xbox is very E3-centric. With X0 events being back, this will obviously change a bit - but expecting E3-like (quality and quantity) announcements seems wrong. And no, PSX isn't doing that either.

Yea I just think we'll see game streaming maybe a studio acquisition or two if there is any and all of the Xbox games or third party marketing rights games that will come out between November and May people thinking they may see Fable or Halo Infinite are setting themselves up for a huge let down

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I've been contemplating getting an Xbox One X for the past couple of weeks, I know it's an interim console, but with Red Dead 2 coming up I just wanted to play the best version of the game on console. I like the idea of having that luxury with third party games as well. I currently have 43' Sony 4K TV and a1080p Plasma.

With next gen being on the horizon (2020?), would it be wise to jump into an Xbox One X?

I'd say yes...the console is incredible and realistically we're 18-25 months to new consoles...probably closer to 25 given MS' penchant to launch hardware in the fall.

That's still a ton of time and plenty of awesome content for it, you'll get your $$'s worth.

I love it so I'll always stan for it.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Yea I just think we'll see game streaming maybe a studio acquisition or two if there is any and all of the Xbox games or third party marketing rights games that will come out between November and May people thinking they may see Fable or Halo Infinite are setting themselves up for a huge let down
This is the right idea. Fable is way too early and they'll hold Halo for E3.

I expect information about Ori, a lot of information about Crackdown, maybe a Battletoads trailer. But I'm mostly hoping for a Gears 5 campaign demo. I want them to show off what they mean when they talk about exploring Sera and the skiff sections.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I would be excited to see a Crackdown demo. I would be thrilled to see Gears. Fable or Halo aren't realistic but I think Gears could show up.

Oct 26, 2017
so with Xcloud announced.

I think it might be possible Xbox announces a "Xbox TV" for next year for the streaming service.
-basically a apple tv, or a fire

100$, xbox tv, controller

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Well, damn. I agree with the people saying they wanted to get this out there without any possibility of mixed messaging and not necessarily because there is some huge announcement at X0.

I also agree with the people saying this will allow people to play the Scarlett games on this current generation of hardware.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm a bit surprised that MS announced Xcloud with a blog post, and not with a megaton reveal at X0. Could this have anything to do with Google announcing their streaming service last week?

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I'm a bit surprised that MS announced Xcloud with a blog post, and not with a megaton reveal at X0. Could this have anything to do with Google announcing their streaming service last week?
Google's public test went live yesterday and they probably don't want google streaming service to dominate word of mouth for a month.

Jan 4, 2018
I expect MS streaming to be at XO but just maybe a date and zones of first tests and that's it as to not spend too much time with technical talk and that's why they gave us a first glimpse at it (kind of like when they gave a first look at Scorpio to the Digital Foundry team so they can speed through it at E3).

For Gold and MP I think it'll be way more simple and they'll just swap out MP and put in streaming. Boom. Done. (Also that would reduce problems with customers that have paid in advance for years of Gold and All Access clients).

I wonder wich zones will they test the streaming service in first.
If having more Azure servers increases the likelyhood I think we might see some tests here in Europe, as with just a quick look at the Azure servers map is pretty obvious it's the zone with the highest server density.

Edit: I wonder if the "We've architected a new customizable blade that can host the component parts of multiple Xbox One consoles, as well as the associated infrastructure supporting it. We will scale those custom blades in datacenters across Azure regions over time." part means that once you're in the service they'll update components over time so they can offer better FPS, resolution...

Also changing subjects, I've recently played through Halo Wars (1 and 2) and I find it really strange that it hasn't been ported to tablets and smartphones as I think it'll be perfect to play on the go and not too hard to accomodate touch controls in it.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I definitely don't see Xbox Live sub cost going away, even for just MP games. If anything, this justifies the cost even more than before.

From the Wired article:

Choudhry refuses to put a date on when Project xCloud, whatever it ends up being called, will become an official cloud gaming service. He's adamant about three things, though. One is the ultimate goal of being able to "lift and shift" every single title playable on the Xbox One—more than 3,000 games, from the original Xbox all the way through present day—to the cloud. That's something Microsoft is handling, no developer work necessary. (Just as with backward compatibility, game studios only needed to agree to add their game to the library; the technical process becomes a Microsoft problem.)

That costs money and I don't see them adding a third subscription to the mix.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
XO18 Predictions:

Below release date
Ashen stealth release
Crackdown 3 MP re-reveal, playable on floor + a story mission
Forza Horizon 4 content reveal
Sea of Thieves content
Two acquisitions (I don't think they'll "save" anything that's basically set - just more opportunity to leak)
Fable tease/PGG confirmed dev
The Initiative dev visit (and a whole lot of screenshots of monitors with assets displayed)
Ninja Theory project reveal
Elite 2.0 controller (to make it an even 10 predictions)

EDIT: Battletoads reveal - maybe in place of Elite 2.0 (which might wait for Scarlet)

Oct 26, 2017
X018 predictions:
Acqusitions
-
Obsidian
--------- New IP teased, exclusive to Xbox and PC
- Asobo
- *tin foil hat* ( RELIC or DONTNOD )

Hardware
- Xbox TV
-----with the announcement of Xcloud, they are going to announce a streaming device, available late 2019. 100$, controller, streaming box
-------*tinfoil hat* steam big picture app is spotted

GAMES
- Gears 5
--- Multiplayer beta announcement, feburaru 28th 6 week beta
- Gears tactics, dated

- Halo infinite
----- Another teaser

-Crackdown (1 week delay)
- 3 new IP (1 aaa, 2x indie)
- splintercell made by UBI exclusive to xbox and PC

Horizon 4
- expansion dlc trailer

Fable
- teaser trailer

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
When do you folks reckon we'll get the Scarlett streaming device now that X-Cloud is a known quantity of sorts? Fall 2019 seems like the earliest to me.

It has to launch alongside the new Xbox to be seen as part of that generation. I mean what exactly would make it next gen if it wasn´t streaming Scarlet games at launch?

If it really wants to be marketed as a streaming version of the next Xbox (which I think it´ll be pretty successful as) it should not come before it, otherwise it would be seen as a separate streaming box/platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.