• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your picks seem realistic :)

Scalebound
Lost Odyssey 2
Phantom Dust 2
Pigs Might Fly 3
Hell Has Frozen Over 4

Man, it seems like anything can happen these days.

If I told you a year ago that Microsoft would add 7 studios and counting in the coming year, you'd be less likely to believe that then any of those games being in development.

That said, for the record, I had already given up on ever seeing Scalebound as it was originally imagined. I just held out hope they'd re-purpose the assets and name for a spiritual successor to the game that never would be.

The only reason I am hopeful for Phantom Dust is that it did make enough waves to warrant a remake (that got cancelled for reasons that had little to do with its popularity), a remastered version that was given for free and downloaded over a million times, and - most importantly - the game is, or at least was, a passion project for Phil, who has spoken very highly of the game and how ahead of its time it was. Assuming Phil's passion project didn't end with the free remaster - which probably cost peanuts and used a measuring stick for interest in future instalments - I am holding out hope.

I'm just doing my part in continuing to advocate for it. I'm also of the belief that a well funded Phantom Dust with a F2P multiplayer mode with reasonable monetisation can be absolutely huge in certain markets. The game just lends itself to lucrative opportunities if it's fun to play. Allowing people to customise their characters with snazzy outfits and collect decks would be huge.

As for Lost Odyssey - it sold close a million on Xbox 360 and has become a cult classic. Releasing it today would be across Xbox and PC, and on Game Pass. It would be a much safer investment now than ever before, and if they can get Sakaguchi back on board, I don't know what bigger exclusive Japanese game they can get.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, it seems like anything can happen these days.

If I told you a year ago that Microsoft would add 7 studios and counting in the coming year, you'd be less likely to believe that then any of those games being in development.

That said, for the record, I had already given up on ever seeing Scalebound as it was originally imagined. I just held out hope they'd re-purpose the assets and name for a spiritual successor to the game that never would be.

The only reason I am hopeful for Phantom Dust is that it did make enough waves to warrant a remake (that got cancelled for reasons that had little to do with its popularity), a remastered version that was given for free and downloaded over a million times, and - most importantly - the game is, or at least was, a passion project for Phil, who has spoken very highly of the game and how ahead of its time it was. Assuming Phil's passion project didn't end with the free remaster - which probably cost peanuts and used a measuring stick for interest in future instalments - I am holding out hope.

I'm just doing my part in continuing to advocate for it. I'm also of the belief that a well funded Phantom Dust with a F2P multiplayer mode with reasonable monetisation can be absolutely huge in certain markets. The game just lends itself to lucrative opportunities if it's fun to play. Allowing people to customise their characters with snazzy outfits and collect decks would be huge.

As for Lost Odyssey - it sold close a million on Xbox 360 and has become a cult classic. Releasing it today would be across Xbox and PC, and on Game Pass. It would be a much safer investment now than ever before, and if they can get Sakaguchi back on board, I don't know what bigger exclusive Japanese game they can get.

Strangely you make a compelling case, still never gonna happen though ;p

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like i never gave Final Fantasy XIII a real chance. maybe I will try it again on Xbox X. I need to play a few other games first though. Im still working through Red Dead, and I also just bought Spyro, World of Final Fantasy, and Pokemon Let's Go.

This is actually one reason I havent bought Game Pass yet, because my backlog is already large. Im definitely going to get it before Crackdown 3 though. Also kind of curious about Wastelands 2.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I do think 2019 is going to be a depressingly light year for Microsoft first party. We have Crackdown 3 (Sumo Digital/Ruffian Games), Ori (Moon Studios), Battletoads (Dlala Studios) and Gears 5 (The Coalition) confirmed. I can't imagine there is much else if we're expecting a 2020 Scarlett launch.

I think that's potentially a good lineup actually. Especially if Gears ends up being next level stuff and Crackdowns campaign is fun. Ori 2 is about as close to a sure thing as you'll get.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Rumblebones I actually think you have it mixed up about Phantom Dust. Voodoo Vince was Phil Spencer's passion project, while I believe Phantom Dust was because of Kenn Lobb. KLobb went to Phil Spencer and told him they need to do Phantom Dust(or Phil asked him about it, cant remember). It also might have been Ishmae. One of those two, pretty sure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ReCore, sorry about that , autocorrect

Armature are working on two new IP right now. One is a console project, the other is VR, and they've confirmed ReCore 2 isn't in development.

I'm starting to think Armature have moved on.

To quote Shannon Loftis, Microsoft believe in the IP.

It's likely they want or wanted a sequel, but realistically speaking, it didn't sell a ton and it's possible, if not out right likely, that Armature didn't like the deal on the table for a sequel, even if it did have a bigger budget for polish as standard with sequels.

ReCore could come back, I suppose, possibly under a new developer, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's strange, because I knew this information already for a while, and still felt confident ReCore 2 was happening. In fact, I was confident Microsoft were acquiring Armature - and who really knows, they still might - but for now, let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

I hope that, since ms recently renewed the trademark for lost odyssey , that they have something planned for it

They've done this for years.

I want to believe it makes as much sense to them as it does for me to make LO 2, but I refuse to brings my hopes up until we hear something concrete.

Strangely you make a compelling case, still never gonna happen though ;p

Nothing strange about it, my man.

Lost Odyssey 2 is the biggest JRPG exclusive Microsoft can lock down - and they already own it!

Phantom Dust cannot be that expensive to make and its incredibly easy to monetise. If Phil still holds it in such high regard, there's cause to be hopeful.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumblebones I actually think you have it mixed up about Phantom Dust. Voodoo Vince was Phil Spencer's passion project, while I believe Phantom Dust was because of Kenn Lobb. KLobb went to Phil Spencer and told him they need to do Phantom Dust. It also might have been Ishmae. One of those two, pretty sure.

They both were.

Is Phantom Dust dead? Phil Spencer says no
Fast forward to 2016, and Microsoft has gone all but silent on the subject of Phantom Dust. The last anyone heard, Xbox marketing head Aaron Greenberg said that while the game isn't currently in active development, he characterized it as a "passion project" for Xbox head Phil Spencer, and described the project as "not canceled."
Last week, Polygon sat down with Spencer himself to talk about the future of Phantom Dust. We asked the biggest question first: Is there any change to report in Phantom Dust's development status?

"No, not yet," Spencer said.

He continued: "I love Phantom Dust – I think the mechanics in Phantom Dust were ahead of their time, and I think about what today's platforms enable and bringing that gameplay mechanic and story and setting to even, frankly, the 360 – and we kind of did that with the back-compat stuff we did then – but definitely today's world would really help cement what that game could've achieved."

Granted, this was before the HD version was announced and released.

But I just gotta believe they gave that game away for free to gauge interest.

And that's both good and bad news. Good because it was downloaded over a million times. Bad because it died of in a couple of weeks.

I hate being stubborn about shit I shouldn't be stubborn about, but Phantom Dust is one of my favourite games of all time. I think its potentially one of the best IP Microsoft own. The premise, the world, the design and gameplay - it's a truly a gem of a game, and I gotta believe Phil sees potential in it still.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Rumblebones I actually think you have it mixed up about Phantom Dust. Voodoo Vince was Phil Spencer's passion project, while I believe Phantom Dust was because of Kenn Lobb. KLobb went to Phil Spencer and told him they need to do Phantom Dust(or Phil asked him about it, cant remember). It also might have been Ishmae. One of those two, pretty sure.

Whatever happened to Mr. Lobb? He did good with Killer Instinct. Not so good on the Phantom Dust and Scalebound front. Haven't heard from him since Scalebound was canceled. Wondered if he had anything to do with Battletoads...or left Microsoft silently.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happened to Mr. Lobb? He did good with Killer Instinct. Not so good on the Phantom Dust and Scalebound front. Haven't heard from him since Scalebound was canceled. Wondered if he had anything to do with Battletoads...or left Microsoft silently.

He still works at Microsoft as far as Im aware, at least that is what his Twitter says. Seriously, I enjoyed him and Ishmae within the KI community. And I dont believe so, because Rare is the ones overseeing Battletoads.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the rare instances where I'm fully on the side of VinFTW ;-) They would be the perfect partner for MS. They are incredible multiplayer creators. Their experiences so far only touched the possibilities they could create with their whole team, fully backed by MS. That's the stuff you need for Game Pass, too.
Yeah I really think they could make the next big MP hit for MS. Last time being from a little corp called Respawn w/ Titanfall 1 :P

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it so annoying to see Peace Walker HD in my Xbox achievement list on the Xbox Windows 10 App because I have never bought or rented a physical copy of it and the Xbox store pages says I need to buy it, so I haven't apparently bought it digital either. Have no idea why it's there.
Both MGS 2 & 3 HD and Peace Walker HD are on sale digitally for $9.99 and $7.49 respectively.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm afraid Microsoft won't be able to match EA and Blizzard with their remasters of Age of Empires. We haven't seen anything for over a year and Age of Empires: Definitive Edition didn't quite set the world on fire.

And still waiting for remasters on Banjo-Kazooie while Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are happening.

Join that train Microsoft. Join that train.

Apr 6, 2018
Is the first Crackdown free just in the US? Has anyone from the UK managed to download it?
nope I took it without any difficulty

I don't why they couldn't do standalone stories in the same universe, Final Fantasy style.
Makes too much sense to happen tho haha.
Ff are never set in the same universe with the only exception of 12 and tactics
According to eurogamer he's envisioning the last months of cd3's production, which means that msft trust him to finish an hard job in the most delicate phase

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid Microsoft won't be able to match EA and Blizzard with their remasters of Age of Empires. We haven't seen anything for over a year and Age of Empires: Definitive Edition didn't quite set the world on fire.

And still waiting for remasters on Banjo-Kazooie while Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are happening.

MS already missed the Crash/Spyro hype. Banjo is now forever dead unless they signed up a deal to include him in Smash.

Rare fucked up with their stubbornness to not bring the bear and bird back.

Apr 6, 2018

IDK nothing about aoe2 and 3 but aoe1 was a far more difficult remastered than wc3 or c&c due to its nature with a mix of 3d and 2d sprites with a fake perspective. It would be more reasonable to compare it to the starcraft one

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
IDK nothing about aoe2 and 3 but aoe1 was a far more difficult remastered than wc3 or c&c due to its nature with a mix of 3d and 2d sprites with a fake perspective. It would be more reasonable to compare it to the starcraft one

In my opinion Blizzard delivered with SC:R. Microsoft didn't with AoE:DE. I had fun with it, sure. But the chat bug still hasn't been fixed and they just didn't add that much to justify the price tag.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got some thoughts about next gen but I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on it confidently.

That said: for years, we have often heard about Microsoft making support resources for their studios a priority and how the ideal has always been that their studios share technology and help each other. The biggest of example this has been the relationship between Turn 10 and Playground, who have collectively contributed to the proprietary Forzatech engine. It seems pretty self-evident that this has worked out great for them.

It begs the question if Microsoft see this model as desirable for their growing stable. They're at 13 studios right now. 343i are working on Slipspace, which is presumably a purpose built Halo engine, but how likely is it that the Slipspace engine wasn't just for Halo? Is it possibly an engine built from the ground up to be versatile for various types of games, or is it more specific? In respect of Slipspace, I'm very curious to see if they will share that tech with other studios, e.g. if Compulsion are developing a FPS, will they also use Slipspace, or will they use Unreal as they did for We Happy Few?

Perhaps more interesting right now - Microsoft have 3 studios working on RPGs: Playground, Obsidian and inXile. Would it make sense for them to share an engine and technology? I would think that would be a priority for smooth game development, but I don't know if that's a feasible objective.

From what I recall Rare has had their own engine for years, and their games generally look great, so there's that to consider.

I'm basically just very curious what the goal is for Microsoft in respect of their first party stable and the technology they use. I imagine a service like Game Pass requires a very well organised pipeline, so surely working with some uniformity in tech would be ideal - or is that just not how game development works? I'm curious. I'd be grateful for any insight anyone here can offer.

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've got some thoughts about next gen but I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on it confidently.

That said: for years, we have often heard about Microsoft making support resources a priority to their studios and how the ideal has always been that their studios share technology and help each other. The biggest of example this has been the relationship between Turn 10 and Playground, who have collectively contributed to the proprietary Forzatech engine. It seems pretty self-evident that this has worked out great for them.

It begs the question if Microsoft see this model as desirable for their growing stable. They're at 13 studios right now. 343i are working on Slipspace, which is presumably a purpose built Halo engine, but how likely is it that the Slipspace engine wasn't just for Halo? Is it possibly an engine built from the ground up to be versatile for various types of games, or is it more specific? In respect of Slipspace, I'm very curious to see if they share that tech with other studios, e.g. if Compulsion are developing a FPS, will they also use Slipspace, or will they use Unreal as they for We Happy Few?

Perhaps more interesting right now - Microsoft have 3 studios working on RPGs: Playground, Obsidian and inXile. Would it make sense for them to share an engine and technology? I would think that would be a priority for smooth game development, but I don't know if that's a feasible objective.

From what I recall Rare has had their own engine for years, and their games generally look great, so there's that to consider.

I'm basically just very curious what the goal is for Microsoft in respect of their first party stable and the technology they use. I imagine a service like Game Pass requires a very well organised pipeline, so surely working with some uniformity in tech would be ideal - or is that just not how game development works? I'm curious. I'd be grateful for any insight anyone here can offer.
I think InXile, Playground Games #2 and Obsidian are all using UE4 for their current projects - just like most of the other MS studios. So yea, I kinda expect there will be a very healthy exchange. MS creates some of the best UE4 results in the industry (especially The Coalition and Rare).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, people were not that excited to play AOE1, even with the remasters. In the other hand, people REALLY love AOE2, so if they take their time and make a good product they would definitely have a hit there

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Lobb is off secretely developing Perfect Dark.

That's the reality I choose.

*cries in Phantom Dust*

32-ibpgX7Acm8J9CO.gif

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*cries in scalebound*

342J.gif

I think InXile, Playground Games #2 and Obsidian are all using UE4 for their current projects - just like most of the other MS studios. So yea, I kinda expect there will be a very healthy exchange. MS creates some of the best UE4 results in the industry (especially The Coalition and Rare).

Interesting. For some reason I thought Rare still used their own engine.

I'm curious to know if Microsoft will eventually want to move from UE to a proprietary engine?

At Sony, Guerilla built their own Decima engine for Horizon: Zero Dawn, and they're sharing that tech with Kojima Productions, and I suspect they'll eventually share that tech with others. They still work together with ND's ICE team for example.

It would seem to me obvious that Microsoft of all companies would want their own proprietary engine, or suite of engines optimised for various genres and such.

I don't know what I'm talking about though. I'm basically taking it for granted Microsoft could create their own game engine if they wanted.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
To be fair, people were not that excited to play AOE1, even with the remasters. In the other hand, people REALLY love AOE2, so if they take their time and make a good product they would definitely have a hit there

There are so many 'if's' with Age of Empires 2. They have to NAIL it to get the AoE2 fanbase to play a remaster. And with Warcraft 3 you see a team that loves the game, that understands the community and knows what fans are asking for. I'm not so sure this is the case with Age of Empires 2 and Microsoft.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

agree

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

That said: for years, we have often heard about Microsoft making support resources for their studios a priority and how the ideal has always been that their studios share technology and help each other. The biggest of example this has been the relationship between Turn 10 and Playground, who have collectively contributed to the proprietary Forzatech engine. It seems pretty self-evident that this has worked out great for them.

It begs the question if Microsoft see this model as desirable for their growing stable. They're at 13 studios right now. 343i are working on Slipspace, which is presumably a purpose built Halo engine, but how likely is it that the Slipspace engine wasn't just for Halo? Is it possibly an engine built from the ground up to be versatile for various types of games, or is it more specific? In respect of Slipspace, I'm very curious to see if they will share that tech with other studios, e.g. if Compulsion are developing a FPS, will they also use Slipspace, or will they use Unreal as they did for We Happy Few?

Basically the same way Sony has been doing things since PlayStation 3 / CELL days. It worked wonderfully for them (see Naughty Dog/SSM/GG) and I'm hoping it'll work for Microsoft.

Apparently Crackdown 3 is using UE4. Rare is also using UE4 for Sea if Thieves and Lionhead was too for Fable Legends. I think it makes sense that with the Coalition (and Rare) being masters of UE4, they'll share their tech around (Water in Sea of Thieves is off the hook!!)

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know if the same leadership is at Obsidian?

I keep hearing it was a toxic environment with a lot of drama behind it.

Yes, but I caution against repeating accusations as facts.

Truth is, the source of that rumour is a very public dispute between Chris Avellone and Feargus Urquhart.

We can't really judge the merits of those claims, but I would recommend against taking anything for fact.

Every time rumours like that pop up and they get repeated, I'm reminded of the Driveclub debacle. I'd rather not risk that again and would prefer we let these companies figure it out themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.