• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
saw this in another thread, but find it very interesting.

I noticed this in the new interview.

Interviewer: Do you think developers are ready yet to really get on board and bring big AAA games to Game Pass day one like Forza Horizon 4 did?

Phil Spencer: I can say it's been very healthy for our games. We've done it now with Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Forza... you're seeing more games that are getting announced like mid-tier and smaller games that are looking for ways to get established. Your big AAA games, those games are trying to run their own business model.

Phil Spencer: What I will say is when you put a game like Forza Horizon 4 which I can't stop playing on Game Pass, you instantly have more players of the game which is actually leading to a lot more sales of the game. Some people don't believe that but when State of Decay 2 launched, you saw if you looked at the NPD you saw this game selling really well the month it launched in the US: "People said well isn't everyone just going to subscribe for $10 and go play this thing?" But no, gamers find things to play based on what everyone else is playing. What's number 1 on Mixer, what's number 1 on Twitch, what are my friends playing, what are people saying on Discord, etc.

So when these games hit something like the Game Pass with all of these players, it instantly raises the awareness/word of mouth. I think we will eventually get there (third party AAA games day one) but you know creators have to make their own business decisions. It's an option for creators and I think it's a good option, but that's up to them and they make their own decisions.

https://youtu.be/Z5y0OvZgcIs

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
That's my thinking as well, but I hope they make more tailored episodes.

Like have an entire episode at the studio, focused on its history, and interviews with its staff and key talent to put faces to the creators of the stuff we love.
See, this is the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of. The current format is incredibly boring and they're going to lose viewers at the current rate.

They should do things like behind the scene developer commentary, exclusive dev interviews and Game Pass announcements.
While they are at it, I feel the format would benefit more from a Direct style presentation. Airing it live is not doing the editing (and flow) any favours.

Oct 25, 2017
That's my thinking as well, but I hope they make more tailored episodes.

Like have an entire episode at the studio, focused on its history, and interviews with its staff and key talent to put faces to the creators of the stuff we love.
See, this is the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of. The current format is incredibly boring and they're going to lose viewers at the current rate.

They should do things like behind the scene developer commentary, exclusive dev interviews and Game Pass announcements.
While they are at it, I feel the format would benefit more from a Direct style presentation. Airing it live is not doing the editing (and flow) any favours.

Agree!

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Chris, do we know if MS is keeping the same management at Obsidian of which Chris wasn't exactly positive about or are they bringing new folk in?

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like they can keep X0 the way it is, just better organised.

Inside Xbox should have different kinds episodes though:
  • Regular periodic in-studio episodes
  • FanFest and X0 editions
  • Specials covering first and second studios and interviews as well as soon to release first party games close to release

Speaking of Chris, do we know if MS is keeping the same management at Obsidian of which Chris wasn't exactly positive about or are they bringing new folk in?

That would be a mistake.

And contradict what they said about allowing these studios to run themselves as normal.

Regardless of internal disputes, Feargus is a good CEO that's kept this studio together and afloat for years.

If I was Phil, I wouldn't mess with the studio's makeup unless it was absolutely necessary.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Chris Avellone is a fking LOSER this guy has done nothing but talk shit and is so jealous that Feargus and the rest are going to get a fat payday while he gets nothing.

I wouldnt call Chris Avellone a loser. He is actually very talented, and we do not know what happened between him, Feargus, and others within Obsidian. What I will say is that he should stop talking though, as it doesnt paint a good look for Avellone. He doesnt have to like Feargus, but he also doesnt need to be talking about that type of stuff on Twitter. As OneBadMutha said, I do think it makes him look unprofessional at the very least.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they can keep X0 the way it is, just better organised.

Inside Xbox should have different kinds episodes though:
  • Regular periodic in-studio episodes
  • FanFest and X0 editions
  • Specials covering first and second studios and interviews as well as soon to release first party games close to release

That would be a mistake.

And contradict what they said about allowing these studios to run themselves as normal.

Regardless of internal disputes, Feargus is a good CEO that's kept this studio together and afloat for years.

If I was Phil, I wouldn't mess with the studio's makeup unless it was absolutely necessary.

That's true. But Chris did make it sound like it was quite bad there. Although I wonder how he would know if he's not part of it anymore.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's true. But Chris did make it sound like it was quite bad there. Although I wonder how he would know if he's not part of it anymore.

That's Avellone though. There are still a lot of veterans still at Obsidian, and I believe one of them - Sawyer? - asked Avellone to not presume to speak on behalf of anyone but himself, or something along those lines.

I'm not picking sides, I'm saying Microsoft shouldn't intervene and change things based on what Avellone has said.

If you all could revive one Microsoft IP, and only one IP, what would it be? Who would you have develop it?

Easy.

Phantom Dust by Grounding Inc (design) and Platinum Games (gameplay).

I'd also settle for Lost Odyssey 2 by Mistwalker and Atlus.

Or Kameo by Asobo.

Fuuuck this isn't easy at all.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

That would spell disaster, if anything they should foster relations and help them grow the studio both technologically so they can keep pace and to keep up with bigger projects.

If you all could revive one Microsoft IP, and only one IP, what would it be? Who would you have develop it?

Without a doubt it would be Shadowrun. By Obsidian (fully staffed).
Runner up would be Phantom Dust. By Playground Games .. reason being they understand multiplayer and by the time Fable releases I'm hoping they have a firm grasp on storytelling for a potential campaign mode.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mech Assault.

Competitive 5 vs 5 single-elimination hero mech shooter with the Crackdown 3 destruction engine.

Emphasis on the mechs, each one having its own abilities and story origin.

Each playable character consists of the mech + the character inside itself. This way you could add guest heroes from other Xbox IPs, e.g. Spartan 117 having a Mantis inspired mech.

Price point $39.99. GaaS support. Great for Game Pass, too. Full cross-play with Play Anywhere PC version.

Certain Affinity.

There is your multiplayer hit.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Mech Assault.

Competitive 5 vs 5 single-elimination hero mech shooter with the Crackdown 3 destruction engine.

Price point $39.99. GaaS support. Great for Game Pass, too. Full cross-play with Play Anywhere PC version.

Certain Affinity.

You really like Certain Affinity dont you? xD

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
That's Avellone though. There are still a lot of veterans still at Obsidian, and I believe one of them - Sawyer? - asked Avellone to not presume to speak on behalf of anyone but himself, or something along those lines.

I'm not picking sides, I'm saying Microsoft shouldn't intervene and change things based on what Avellone has said.

Easy.

Phantom Dust by Grounding Inc (design) and Platinum Games (gameplay).

I'd also settle for Lost Odyssey 2 by Mistwalker and Atlus.

Or Kameo by Asobo.

Fuuuck this isn't easy at all.

It really isnt xD lol I didnt answer my own question because Im not certain myself. Banjo, Conker, Kameo, or Perfect Dark would be what I narrow my choices down to.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know how much Ninja Theory have expanded since being acquired? Jobs seem to go up every other week for them.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It's one of the rare instances where I'm fully on the side of VinFTW ;-) They would be the perfect partner for MS. They are incredible multiplayer creators. Their experiences so far only touched the possibilities they could create with their whole team, fully backed by MS. That's the stuff you need for Game Pass, too.

Agree. They were a name I was hoping to see. Max Hoberman is one of the biggest names in console multiplayer gaming. He's created some of the most well known maps of all time. Understands gaming sandboxes. Not someone who thinks throwing a bunch of cool looking weapons and maps together makes a great multiplayer. Really want to see what he would come up with if supported with more resources and built his own game from scratch.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Really curious what first party games could benefit from Microsoft AI. Phil mentioned that at E3 this year, but still got no idea to what it could potentially lead up.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Lost Odyssey would be something a younger version of me with more time on my hands would be interested in. Right now? I'd love to see MechAssault come back. That was the first XBL game I played - came in the communicator headset bundle! - and I have a lot of fond memories of hopping online in split screen with a bud and trying to wreck the other mechs, talking trash (as a dumb kid would :) ). It felt so ahead of its time.

EDIT - Who'd develop it? Can't say I really know who does this style of game anymore. Maybe remnants of the old team, the guys who did Chromehounds?

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
As some of you may remember (and entered) I held an XO Prediction Contest. The three winners were Greigor the FellHand (who chose six months of GamePass as his prize), Handsome James (who chose Fallout 76), and someone who chose to identify themselves by their Reddit name, SpectralMania (his copy of AC: Odyssey is currently working its way through the British Postal Service). Thanks to everyone who entered and I will be running a crazy number quiz contest for E3 (which I'm already working on), so stay tuned. Congrats to the winners! If you didn't win, don't feel bad, because we all did pretty poorly and the winner got less than two full predictions correct.

As far as the acquisition/expansion topic goes, I think that Microsoft is close to having all the pieces they need. I personally think they need one or two studios to make more family-friendly games, because that's something they will undoubtedly want to continue to offer. I think an important strategy for them will be to get developers (or a single developer) that can make family-friendly games with mass appeal, aka something that adults can appreciate. This developer (or developers) can continue to revive Rare IP and even create some of their own. Ideally, Microsoft will also nab a studio or two that makes platformers, another thing I think is missing from their lineup. Ideally, that would be Moon and Studio MDHR, but it seems like those probably aren't realistic choices, based on the things they've said. A strategy studio, even a small one, would also seem to be an area of need. I also think there's something to be said from fulfilling these genres (family friendly games, platformers, and strategy games) through MSGP and using it as sort of a "trial run" for potentially acquiring some of the studios they work with (obviously Moon and Studio MDHR don't need a "trial run," but it doesn't seem like either company is interested in acquisition).

After fulfilling those needs, I think you grow the studios as Game Pass grows. If Game Pass takes off and The Coalition is really killing it, Microsoft could expand that studio and add another team to work on a new IP. I think a lot of the expansion decision could be made on a performance-based metric involving the efficiency of the studio, their games critical success, and the fan engagement on Game Pass.

Oct 26, 2018
Blue dragon, as a arpg with graphics on par with how kh3 will look

Edit: based on tbe manga, more dark and less kiddy ofc, with optional co-op mode and a battle royale esque multiplayer with people creating their own shadows with multiple abilities .

With character design by tetsuya nomura

Developed by tabatas new studio

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno if it qualifies since the Harebrained games are still relatively recent - and they've indicated they'd like to make more, eventually - but a new AAA Shadowrun would be amazing.

Failing that, I still think Crimson Skies is ripe for an action-RPG reboot. Mechs are always good, too, but the main MechAssault/MechWarrior/BattleTech style of mech - walking tanks, basically - is kinda my least favourite, so unless they're gonna make a game all about LAMs - which they won't, partly 'cause no one but me wants it, and partly 'cause dat copyright infringement - I'd rather have one of the other two first.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Do we think that Ninja Theory are targeting a two, three (or more?!) team structure? Just trying to get a feel for whether they are going to turn into a single studio, smaller version of the COD studios (Sledgehammer Games/Treyarch/Infinity Ward) with each team releasing a game every two/three years on rotation? If they got up to 3 teams all working on a game each, it would be fantastic to get a Ninja Theory game almost every year. I know Hellblade took a lot longer, but I feel NT could create fantastic games within 3 years with MS support.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

Crimson Skies

Joseph Staten get's his own dedicated dev team to work on it with all the budget they need

It'll be based on a world where cities/towns are hub areas where players can walk around and do side missions. Then fly around the world in a semi MMO scene like FH4 where there's players dynamically synced in flying around. There will be bosses that spawn throughout the world to fight and lots of missions to accomplish alone or with a squad. Players can create Clans to compete with one another and also complete daily challenges too. The single player will be in the vein of Destiny where it's mp and sp at the same time.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mech Assault.

Each playable character consists of the mech + the character inside itself. This way you could add guest heroes from other Xbox IPs, e.g. Spartan 117 having a Mantis inspired mech.

Certain Affinity.

Another one of those dreams of mine..

Bo, 7 Elementals vs 1 Ragnarok was bananas. So many fun mechs to play with!

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I would like to see a AAA revival of Jet Force Gemini made by Armature (with assistance from Ghost Ship Games, makers of Deep Rock Galactic) as a spiritual successor to ReCore. I liked the idea of ReCore a lot, but personally think that IP is dead and I loved Jet Force Gemini as a kid.

-A goofy, co-op, third-person arcade shooter with platforming elements, inspired by Metroid Prime, Recore, Cuphead, Mega-Man, and Splatoon.
-A modernized version of the original art style (like the Crash trilogy remaster) with significant character and enemy re-designs.
-Over-the-top bosses, crazy environments, and Lupus (the dog from Jet Force Gemini) acting as a utility for things like boost jumps, jetpack rides, and a crowd-control laser blast.
-The choice of different weapons (with different abilities), perks, or upgrading your armor through leveling up or completing challenges.
-Instead of competitive multiplayer. a PvE mode that is a cross between Call of Duty Zombies and Gears of War's Horde Mode where you face waves of enemies while earning power-ups, better guns, and new area unlocks.
-Certain areas of the maps could also use the cloud destruction from Crackdown 3 if they could easily scale it. With the inclusion of the destruction, you could bottleneck enemies by destroying bridges or have the enemies destroy structures you're standing on while you try to take them out.
-There could be specialized enemies like tanks whose sole purpose is to destroy your structures.
-If compelling enough, this could operate as a GaaS with new maps, events (not limited time), and weapons.
-They could also have a huge list of modifiers to do things like increase enemy count, enemy speed, ammo scarcity, etc. The harder you make the game, the better rewards (cosmetics, special abilities, weapons, etc.) you can get.
-You could do all kinds of unique things with the maps. Flying enemies attack while you're on small platforms in the sky, requiring precision platforming and expert shooting, etc.
-I don't love the idea of PvP for the franchise, but the art style, science-fiction setting and cloud destruction would seemingly lend itself well to a battle royale mode.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's another pitch.

FREELANCER reboot as a sci-fi RPG written and directed by Joe Staten and developed by Saber Interactive.

Think Uncharted x Star Wars 1313. A bombastic, high production value space adventure romp with deep character customisation and choice.

Alternative developer: inXile if they don't want to make Wasteland or a new IP.

Mech Assault.

Certain Affinity.

If their Transformers game looks good, Microsoft should really consider cutting a cheque.

It really isnt xD lol I didnt answer my own question because Im not certain myself. Banjo, Conker, Kameo, or Perfect Dark would be what I narrow my choices down to.

I think Perfect Dark and Banjo are a given.

I think Conker is up to whoever has the best pitch - personally, I think Ruffian could be a good pick.

Kameo, sadly, appears to be a pipe dream, as much as I'd love to be proven otherwise.

Lost Odyssey would be something a younger version of me with more time on my hands would be interested in. Right now? I'd love to see MechAssault come back. That was the first XBL game I played - came in the communicator headset bundle! - and I have a lot of fond memories of hopping online in split screen with a bud and trying to wreck the other mechs, talking trash (as a dumb kid would :) ). It felt so ahead of its time.

EDIT - Who'd develop it? Can't say I really know who does this style of game anymore. Maybe remnants of the old team, the guys who did Chromehounds?

Atlus.

Microsoft have a good relationship with Sega, and Atlus are very good.

Microsoft could negotiate a deal whereby they fund Lost Odyssey through Sega indefinitely for release on Xbox and PC.

And they should.

Blue dragon, as a arpg with graphics on par with how kh3 will look

Edit: based on tbe manga, more dark and less kiddy ofc, with optional co-op mode and a battle royale esque multiplayer with people creating their own shadows with multiple abilities .

With character design by tetsuya nomura

Developed by tabatas new studio

Level 5.

Microsoft can and imo should negotiate for Level 5 to develop it and sweeten the pot by including a trans-media and merchandising deal.

The Blue Dragon anime wasn't bad. I'd want more of that.

Last edited:

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
So has anyone found any Crackdown 3 footage from the X0 floor? I thought there'd be a lot more footage coming out.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pray each day Phantom Dust is still a passion project to Phil that he's secretly working on.

What I wouldn't fucking give.

Lawd.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
So has anyone found any Crackdown 3 footage from the X0 floor? I thought there'd be a lot more footage coming out.
This is the best footage I've been able to find. The commentary is in French, but it's 45 minutes of un-cut Wrecking Zone gameplay. I think the game looks like something I'll really, really enjoy (I love 3D platforming), but I'm not sure if it will have mass-appeal. It depends on what kind of post-launch content it gets. The game would seemingly lend itself really well to objective-based game modes (Capture the Flag would be incredible), but they haven't announced anything like that yet.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Dream IP Revival: Scalebound
Bring the game back to Platinum and let them just work on it in secret until its ready to be shown. Hideki Kamiya said this was his dream project and I'd like him to be able to finish it. I saw a lot of potential in the IP (and supposedly so did Microsoft, since they were already talking about sequels beforehand) and I just wish I could see it fully come to fruition.

Existing/Released IP: Conker
With the recent success of movies like Deadpool and Kick-Ass, as well as the demand for humor and combat driven games like Sunset Overdrive, I think a new Conker game could get a major push in today's gaming market. I think Insomniac or Playtonic would be the best fit for this (unless Toys for Bob was really interested and Activision was fine with it, been loving Spyro Reignited so far!)

Status
Not open for further replies.