• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Comments like these are funny. Halo is on the decline and has dropped on the scale of important franchises for the Xbox brand, but we've got pages and pages of people talking about the Halo legacy in a thread about new, recent acquisitions.

Gamers kill me. Give them Halo, "we're sick of Halo! Gimme sumthin new!

Take Halo Away, "Bring back Halo - what the hell are 343 doing?!? Cowards, the lot of 'em!"

Dafuq, tho?!
Something can still be important whilst not being the most important. I don't see what's hard to grasp about that? It's like saying people talk about Sony games other than TLoU or Nintendo games other than Mario Kart. It's not all or nothing.

Hubi

Nov 13, 2017
I keep saying that for alot of time already indeed. But there is something going on with money from the government etc. But i doubt MS needs extra money etc.
I also still think Asobo still would be a great addition and they have history with MS already. With some games and even Hololens. I think MS needs a mainland Europe studio.
They really Need Studios in Mainland Europe. And (East)Asia, of course. Diversity with these Studios would help to bolster the output

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
giphy.gif

lol

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Halo and Gears are like the elder statesmen of the Xbox brand, they're strong franchises but when you rely on them so much they start to tire and decline. Hopefully these new studios pump out good stuff to lessen the weight those two franchises have to carry.

I don't think reliance on a franchise causes it to decline. Nintendo relies heavily on Super Mario and Legend of Zelda for example.

Decline is tied most directly to maintenance of mindshare and quality of output.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that Xbox has done particularly poorly this gen. It's not doing as well as it did last time, but people act like they won the last generation, when they ultimately came last, with a year head start.

I also don't buy the power narrative. This is the first generation the most powerful console has ever won. It's not a proven relation to market performance at all. I would say the Xbox probably did have the edge over the Gamecube, but it certainly didn't seem like a blow out, which is equally true with PS3 last generation.

I think if anything, Xbox One just lost the 'dudebro' audience, but I think that audience seems to have kind of disappeared. In the same way that Halo was the hotness, last gen it was Gears and CoD, but now it's? Fortnite? I don't know, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive core title this generation, so MS can't cater to that audience with any exclusivity.

I think when it comes to next-gen, MS only really have the US to battle over, but to outsell Sony there, they need to identify what the hotness will be, and get it either exclusively, or with some serious exclusive co-marketing/timed map packs, etc.

It could certainly be that Halo Infinite is some sort of industry defining Battle Royale that if included with Game Pass day one, would lock up the US for MS from day one. We shall see.

Couple of things.

360 did come last. For as long as that generation lasted, it was the go-to multiplat console, it led in sales and was simply the better box to play on. Nintendo won, but 360 was second. PS3 didn't outsell it until like a year and half into the next gen when MS had essentially stopped giving a shit about first party games on it.

Power has always mattered a lot. It just never mattered more than games. Xbox One is a failure because it was under-powered and it didn't have the games.

The dudebro audience are the ficklest of the bunch. They're now on PS4 for the most part, but they've also been exposed to great exclusives on that platform so that dudebro-y essence isn't what it used to be. There's too much variety out there and people like to try new things.

The idea MS can't win outside of the US and UK is such a completely, myopic bullshit myth I can't stand people repeating it as fact. Look at where the OG Xbox was WW and especially in Europe. Compare that to the 360. Had MS not shat the bed, Europe would've been for the taking, if not this gen, then surely the next - assuming they had a powerful box with great games on it.

Next gen is a wild card for me. Sony couldn't have won more definitely this gen short of running Xbox out of business. But now Phil is EVP of Gaming and essentially has all the control he can ask for and with Game Pass being such a beast of service, I don't think tomorrow is promised to anyone.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The idea MS can't win outside of the US and UK is such a completely, myopic bullshit myth I can't stand people repeating it as fact. Look at where the OG Xbox was WW and especially in Europe. Compare that to the 360. Had MS not shat the bed, Europe would've been for the taking, if not this gen, then surely the next - assuming they had a powerful box with great games on it.
The 360 launched 18 months before the PS3. It ran like 95% of games better than the PS3. It was substantially cheaper than the PS3, and at least of the first few years, it had much better exclusives than the PS3, and it got completely curb stomped in mainland Europe.

Of course it's not impossible to outsell PlayStation there, but it would clearly take such an absurd advantage that it's not going to happen. That kind of handicap isn't going to happen again, and even that barely made a dent.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I haven't played the game in a while, so I can't remember all the details. But doesn't QB end with a cliffhanger of Jack saying he's going after Beth? And Martin was up to some shady shit? To me the ending felt more like a "to be continued", which I think lends itself nicely to a sequel.
Yes, but:
The story of Quantum Break is about the fact that Jack don't understand that time can't be change. The ending means two things:
- Jack still doesn't understand.
- He destroys the only chance of humanity: Paul's plan.

Beth CAN'T be saved and time WILL end.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
The 360 launched 18 months before the PS3. It ran like 95% of games better than the PS3. It was substantially cheaper than the PS3, and at least of the first few years, it had much better exclusives than the PS3, and it got completely curb stomped in mainland Europe.

Of course it's not impossible to outsell PlayStation there, but it would clearly take such an absurd advantage that it's not going to happen. That kind of handicap isn't going to happen again, and even that barely made a dent.
This. MS can have the game and hardware advantage, but sony marketing is too strong in europe. They do a really, really great job, and I rarely see anything from xbox. I'm sure with next gen MS will increase their ad spend significantly, but it's hard to be effective with marketing when you don't have a proper understanding of the market, and we haven't seen anything to suggest that has changed.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
They really Need Studios in Mainland Europe. And (East)Asia, of course. Diversity with these Studios would help to bolster the output
I agree it would be nice with a bit more variety in studio locations, but I don't actually think it's needed. Nintendo's studios are significantly more centralized than Microsoft's, and they've crushed it year after year for decades.

What Microsoft needs is more variety in their studios' output. Weird games from Compulsion, the return of Fable, traditional RPGs from Obsidian and InXile and melee action games from Ninja Theory should improve their situation nicely.

In my opinion they should go for family / kid friendly games next. It's the one area where they're lacking the most. Minecraft is still a phenomenon, but it's pretty much its own thing. Bring back Banjo-Kazooie, make Avatar games, make a kart racer and new IPs. Oh, and...:

Kinect backwards compatibility

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite is going to do ridiculous numbers, just watch. By then, they'll have a working cloud system to be played on mobiles and such. It will launch simultanenously on PCs through Play Anywhere. All Game Pass subscribers will have access to it, and if you aren't subbed yet, there's always deals to jump in ridiculously cheap. They could be looking at dozens of millions of players in the first few months alone if they play their cards right (note: players, not copies sold). And well, the game doesn't even need to be a timeless masterpiece with 97 on Metacritic, a solid 85 or so will do: it just has to feel fresh, provide a stunning open world, and well, the rest will come on its own since the core shooting mechanism has never been an issue with Halo, really.

I know this is easier said than done but they have the capabilities of providing all this, and from what we know about Infinite this seems to be a likely scenario. Halo may not be as big as it was with Halo 3, but that E3 reveal generated tons of hype, people were digging what they were going for big time. They have to play their cards right and Halo Infinite will "easily" be the biggest Xbox One exclusive so far, definitely bigger than Halo 5, the Forza games, Gears, etc..

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Are we still expecting more imminent studio announcements? Or will Microsoft cool off for now.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite is going to do ridiculous numbers, just watch. By then, they'll have a working cloud system to be played on mobiles and such. It will launch simultanenously on PCs through Play Anywhere. All Game Pass subscribers will have access to it, and if you aren't subbed yet, there's always deals to jump in ridiculously cheap. They could be looking at dozens of millions of players in the first few months alone if they play their cards right (note: players, not copies sold). And well, the game doesn't even need to be a timeless masterpiece with 97 on Metacritic, a solid 85 or so will do: it just has to feel fresh, provide a stunning open world, and well, the rest will come on its own since the core shooting mechanism has never been an issue with Halo, really.

I know this is easier said than done but they have the capabilities of providing all this, and from what we know about Infinite this seems to be a likely scenario. Halo may not be as big as it was with Halo 3, but that E3 reveal generated tons of hype, people were digging what they were going for big time. They have to play their cards right and Halo Infinite will "easily" be the biggest Xbox One exclusive so far, definitely bigger than Halo 5, the Forza games, Gears, etc..

Don't forget the Showtime series if it's good and a hit itll propel the series even further.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the Showtime series if it's good and a hit itll propel the series even further.

Yep, that too. If Halo Infinite is a competent 85-90 Metacritic shooter that reinvents the wheel and delivers an open world that stuns people (not unlike Horizon, BOTW, etc. that were exciting to many non-fans of the series/genre because of the brilliance of the open world), it'll be a huge push for everything: Xbox itself, Game Pass, xCloud, their PC projects, and stuff like that series will definitely help too (if it's good, that is). Let's face it, as important as Gears 5 and Forza games are, Halo Infinite will be THE monster triple-A project that showcases where Microsoft is headed right now, the one game that could potentially move millions of console units. I can definitely see them push massive Superbowl ads and such again to make sure to land the hit now that money is less of an issue. Because at the end of the day, Halo Infinite may or may not be engaging people past the first months, but those people who bought an Xbox for it, those who learned what Game Pass is, those who tried xCloud... not all of them, but sure an important percentage will stick around.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think reliance on a franchise causes it to decline. Nintendo relies heavily on Super Mario and Legend of Zelda for example.

Decline is tied most directly to maintenance of mindshare and quality of output.

Agree with this statement completely. Zelda BOTW and God of War were two of the biggest games this generation and both were reboots from franchises that weren't on fire.

The idea MS can't win outside of the US and UK is such a completely, myopic bullshit myth I can't stand people repeating it as fact.

I think this debate in general is outdated. It's possible for the current market to hold at 2:1 next generation and for Microsoft to be more profitable with gaming. The industry will be expanding to markets that don't have Xbox or Playatations. There will be more multi-console/multi-ecosystem adopters. Winner of power and convencience with multiplats will win multiplat majority of sales from multi-console/multi-ecosystem enthusiasts. Xbox will be on PC, phones and tablets and those devices have already been adopted. Will be wait and see as to how many of them also adopt Game Pass. Services will factor as significantly into bottom line as software sales.

I think the debate is old and tired in general. With a growing market, neither Microsoft nor Sony will be ignored by 3rd party devs and there's more than enough health, revenue and potential that both need to keep investing to maximize opportunity.

Plastic sales are one a leg of the stool...but just one leg. The market analysis needs to be updated.

Oct 27, 2017

Ture but that comes from over-reliance. Doing a new Halo game every year was a disservice to the IP. Phil Said it himself, there is no scarcity, and the teams can get creatively spent.

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017

Would you say that Apple got curb stomped by Samsung?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Ture but that comes from over-reliance. Doing a new Halo game every year was a disservice to the IP. Phil Said it himself, there is no scarcity, and the teams can get creatively spent.
I disagree. Spinoffs and remakes developed by other teams can easily coexist with the main series and be released on a yearly basis. Look at Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon. Or Nintendo's Mario and Zelda releases.

Imo, the reasons for Halo's decline in popularity are because of both internal and external factors. They can fix the internal factors (reinvent the series, invest more in the engine, avoid clusterfucks like the original TMCC release, etc), but they will still have to compete against COD, Battlefront, PUBG, Fortnite, etc. I don't think Halo will ever reclaim its position as top dog in popularity tbh. There is just too much competition.

Last edited:

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If this is true I'd put money on it being Supermassive Games.

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I know people are immediately going to think SuperMassive, Insomniac, or Quantic Dream but Im going to bring up Housemarque. They are currently working on an unannounced AAA game, had 50 employees as of 2014 and probably have increased. They have worked with Sony several times, but not with every game. Klobrille says "a bit" which i think is deliberate.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only one I would like to have is Insomniac.

But it's very likely Quantic Dream, or Ready at Down :(

Honestly Insomniac makes no sense for an MS purchase. They would be way too expensive, they have no IP to bring and it would just be a pricy slap in the face move to Sony.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I would like to have is Insomniac.

But it's very likely Quantic Dream, or Ready at Down :(
I think Detroit did relatively well for QD. I assume they will continue their partnership with Sony for at least one or two more projects.

Ready at Dawn seems likely though.

Housemarque is another one I could see happening.

Tequila Works is pushing it, but they did work with Sony on Rime at one point.

Edit: Wrong Spanish developer on Rime

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I know people are immediately going to think SuperMassive, Insomniac, or Quantic Dream but Im going to bring up Housemarque. They are currently working on an unannounced AAA game, had 50 employees as of 2014 and probably have increased. They have worked with Sony several times, but not with every game. Klobrille says "a bit" which i think is deliberate.

Housemarque, Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream, and Super Massive were the studios that came to mind when I saw the tweet.

Right now, in terms of what I think is likely (pure speculation), I'd say Ready at Dawn is most likely, followed by Housemarque, Super Massive, and Quantic Dream

I think RAD has the size, talent, and creativity that Xbox has been looking for with their recent acquisitions. I feel like they would be the best fit of the 4 mentioned above, though that may be my bias, as they'd also be the studio I'd be most excited for.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Supermassive has funding with Bandai Namco for their 3 Dark Picture Anthology games. I don't think they are really in dire need for funding like the other studios MS purchased lately.

It's not Insomniac.

Could be Ready at Dawn or Housemarque...both likely fit the bill of needing $$ not just to stay afloat, but to ensure their complete visions for their titles

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm thin
Supermassive has funding with Bandai Namco for their 3 Dark Picture Anthology games. I don't think they are really in dire need for funding like the other studios MS purchased lately.

It's not Insomniac.

Could be Ready at Dawn or Housemarque...both likely fit the bill of needing $$ not just to stay afloat, but to ensure their complete visions for their titles
Yeah, I think it's either RaD or Housemarque.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel 90% sure Klo is talking about Ready at Dawn.

They make the most sense.

Quantic Dream and Supermassive have been successful and presumably are happy with their arrangement with Sony.

Meanwhile, Ready at Dawn made spinoff games for years, got one shot at an original IP with The Order, blew it, and they've been benched ever since.

They're also located in Irvine, California - right by Obsidian.

And Phil sure loves the fact he's got 3 studios in southern California, so why not add another?

Microsoft acquiring Ready at Dawn makes a ton of sense and it'd be great to have a graphical powerhouse studio next to Obsidian. Just imagine the potential behind Obsidian helping out RAD with writing and worldbuilding and RAD helping Obsidian with their graphical tech?

RAD would be a great fit with MGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.