- studio thats worked close with Sony
- studio that rhymes with balloon?

In addition to all these acquisition talks, there are rumors of:
- Playful Games working with a MS ip
- sequel to an Xbox game from the past 4 years
- Fable from Playground
- Perfect Dark is probably being made
That's crazy.

I genuinely think that with ~3 more studios, MS can call it a day.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Here's my personal (largely joking) betting odds for Klobrille's "moon" tweet:

1 in 3
Typhoon Studios
This is the most literal things could be. Studio would seemingly make sense for Microsoft.

1 in 5
Moon Studio
The second tweet was a red herring, because he knew everyone would immediately know.

1 in 20
Turtle Rock Studios
Turtle Rock is heavily rumored. Klobrille's second tweet talks about "digging deeper." What do you get when you dig on the moon? Rocks! Turtle Rocks! The first clue on this one is really where this theory breaks down.

1 in 25
The Ed Boon Theory
No, Ed Boon isn't joining Microsoft, but a few characters from MK are coming to Killer Instinct as guest characters.

1 in 50
IO Interactive
IO Interactive is a logical fit with Microsoft after breaking away from Square. They could seemingly bring something a little different to the table and could work on a new IP. Io is also the name of the innermost moon of Jupiter.

1 in 50
Kalypso Media
Seemingly fits the same profile as inXile. Smaller team making PC-centric games and own mid-tier IP (Tropico). They seem to pump out a lot of smaller games through a publishing program they have. Calypso is a moon of Saturn.

1 in 75
Backbone Entertainment
Backbone Entertainment is an interesting studio. They handle a lot of ports to current generation consoles, but they have developed some original games as well. They have the "Eclipse Engine" which is used to decompile the code from older games. They worked on the Mega Man Legacy Collection and the recent Disney Afternoon Collection. Seems unlikely, but Backbone was formerly Digital Eclipse and a lunar eclipse is when the moon passes in front of the sun.

1 in 75
Iron Galaxy
Iron Galaxy has worked with Microsoft in the past on Killer Instinct and people seemed to enjoy their work. Continuing the KI series seems to be an obvious move to add a fighting offering to Game Pass. Galaxies have moons. It's weak, but the studio makes sense.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Whoever posted that video of DreamcastGuy is now on my shit list. Because I never heard of this guy before but after clicking on that video I have fallen down a rabbit hole of anger at his content.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018

1 in 3
Typhoon Studios
This is the most literal things could be. Studio would seemingly make sense for Microsoft.

1 in 5
Moon Studio
The second tweet was a red herring, because he knew everyone would immediately know.

1 in 20
Turtle Rock Studios
Turtle Rock is heavily rumored. Klobrille's second tweet talks about "digging deeper." What do you get when you dig on the moon? Rocks! Turtle Rocks! The first clue on this one is really where this theory breaks down.

1 in 25
The Ed Boon Theory
No, Ed Boon isn't joining Microsoft, but a few characters from MK are coming to Killer Instinct as guest characters.

1 in 50
IO Interactive
IO Interactive is a logical fit with Microsoft after breaking away from Square. They could seemingly bring something a little different to the table and could work on a new IP. Io is also the name of the innermost moon of Jupiter.

1 in 50
Kalypso Media
Seemingly fits the same profile as inXile. Smaller team making PC-centric games and own mid-tier IP (Tropico). They seem to pump out a lot of smaller games through a publishing program they have. Calypso is a moon of Saturn.

1 in 75
Backbone Entertainment
Backbone Entertainment is an interesting studio. They handle a lot of ports to current generation consoles, but they have developed some original games as well. They have the "Eclipse Engine" which is used to decompile the code from older games. They worked on the Mega Man Legacy Collection and the recent Disney Afternoon Collection. Seems unlikely, but Backbone was formerly Digital Eclipse and a lunar eclipse is when the moon passes in front of the sun.

1 in 75
Iron Galaxy
Iron Galaxy has worked with Microsoft in the past on Killer Instinct and people seemed to enjoy their work. Continuing the KI series seems to be an obvious move to add a fighting offering to Game Pass. Galaxies have moons. It's weak, but the studio makes sense.
Damn some nice guesses
"It's turtles all the way down" that's pretty deep .
Also Bal (Io) on
But I can't get my head around the
"What rhymes ON balloon" part surlely he meant what rhymes with balloon or maybe what rhymes with "on balloon"

Last edited:

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018

Well respected and known insider Dealer Gaming had Brad Sams on the RDX podcast today. Interesting indeed

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Damn some nice guesses
"It's turtles all the way down" that's pretty deep .
"What rhymes ON balloon" part surlely he meant what rhymes with balloon or maybe what rhymes with "on balloon"
Interesting you'd say that. One of the studios that didn't make the cut on my list was People Can Fly for that exact reason. They're riding the balloon and it's making them fly. People Can Fly also helped with the development of Gears 3 when they were Epic Games Poland. They are independent now.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Klobrille is German, so I'm going to assume it was just lost in translation.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018

1 in 50
IO Interactive

Think that is the answer to the riddle
Starting to get behind this theory myself, isn't Io also one of Jupiter's largest moons and has the most density? Could that be a reference to the part where he mentions "actual weight"

I suck at riddles and puzzles, which reminds me of how much Hellblade irritated me.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
That's crazy.

I genuinely think that with ~3 more studios, MS can call it a day.

Nah, if they're serious about Game Pass, and especially about leading the content game, they'll need more than that. Ideally I'd want to see something like 3 new studios in North America, 3 in Asia (Japan, South Korea, China?), and 4 in the rest of the world (UK, continental Europe, Australia, South America?), although I know that such wide spread is unlikely. Also, multiple teams for their most important studios. Of course, not all of that at once, but definitely over the next few years.

NiteChylde

Oct 28, 2017

Klobrille already admitted it was a non-native speaker mistake a couple of pages back after someone first mentioned it. :-)

He basically translated our German "reimt (sich) auf" word for word.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018
Starting to get behind this theory myself, isn't Io also one of Jupiter's largest moons and has the most density? Could that be a reference to the part where he mentions "actual weight"

I suck at riddles and puzzles, which reminds me of how much Hellblade irritated me.

Yes, it is.

I'm mostly convinced its IO he was talking about in his tweet because 1) he has mentioned a couple months ago that Microsoft was considering them and 2) he knew most people would immediately think of Moon Studios (for obvious reasons) and went out of his way to reply to someone on Twitter that it's "deeper than that". Could mean a number of things, but my guess is rhyming balloon with moon is partially right, and Io could fit the bill.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
With 343i, Playground Games, The Coalition and The Initiative building Microsoft's biggest 'blockbuster' games in the future they'll be able to produce one genre defining title per year.

Imagine next gen:
Year 1 - Halo Infinite
Year 2 -
Year 3 - Fable 4
Year 4 - Gears of War
Year 5 - The Initiative's game
Year 6 - New Halo game
etc. etc.

If they can add just one more 'Game of Thrones' 'Stranger Things' kind of game they'll be able to attract users to the ecosystem every year. Because some studios will need more than 4 years to build a game at times. Especially with the rise in development time we've seen in these last couple of years. An IO or 4A games would fit this, I think. But Obsidian could also do this if they can expand a little.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With 343i, Playground Games, The Coalition and The Initiative building Microsoft's biggest 'blockbuster' games in the future they'll be able to produce one genre defining title per year.

Imagine next gen:
Year 1 - Halo Infinite
Year 2 -
Year 3 - Fable 4
Year 4 - Gears of War
Year 6 - New Halo game
etc. etc.

If they can add just one more 'Game of Thrones' 'Stranger Things' kind of game they'll be able to attract users to the ecosystem every year. Because some studios will need more than 4 years to build a game at times. Especially with the rise in development time we've seen in these last couple of years. An IO or 4A games would fit this, I think. But Obsidian could also do this if they can expand a little.

Absolutely. And let's not forget ID@Xbox, which will be an excellent way to deliver different and innovative projects, and they can be the Valve of the situation here. Some dudes made Narbacular Drop, Valve hired the devs who then made Portal with triple-A tools and budget. I can see this happening: a small indie blows up on MS? MS buys them or finances their next game, which becomes an exclusive and launches on Game Pass day 1. Whether the game ends up good or not, it'll be a hyped product as it's from the makers of the hit indie game x. I can definitely see some of these games becoming the, if not the 'Stranger Things' caliber products, at least the stuff like Sabrina.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I imagine Klobrille is laughing his ass off at this thread lol

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
ReCore was announced to release within one year of being announced though. Its not about announcing a game too early that's going to have several delays, its about having realistic expectations about when a game will release. ReCore only got delayed once, but it was expected to come out by Spring of the next year it was debuted (with only a CG trailer, which included that T8NK bot that wasn't there at launch).

True. I'm just going to be butthurt if they don't release it.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Imagine next gen:
Year 1 - Halo Infinite
Year 2 -
Year 3 - Fable 4
Year 4 - Gears of War
Year 6 - New Halo game
etc. etc.

It's going to be interesting how Gears 5 is received. I think the future of Gears lies with that game.

I often see many online dismiss Gears. Even Youtubers like Angry Joe which was a huge Gears fan makes fun of MS and Gears now in days. People want MS to make new IPS.

If Gears 5 is not positively received, I have to think we won't see Gears 6 for a long time.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

Well respected and known insider Dealer Gaming had Brad Sams on the RDX podcast today. Interesting indeed

any able to post a summary?

It's going to be interesting how Gears 5 is received. I think the future of Gears lies with that game.

I often see many online dismiss Gears. Even Youtubers like Angry Joe which was a huge Gears fan makes fun of MS and Gears now in days. People want MS to make new IPS.

If Gears 5 is not positively received, I have to think we won't see Gears 6 for a long time.

eh, i dunno about that. isnt gears absolutely huge in latin america?

Oct 26, 2018
Nah, if they're serious about Game Pass, and especially about leading the content game, they'll need more than that. Ideally I'd want to see something like 3 new studios in North America, 3 in Asia (Japan, South Korea, China?), and 4 in the rest of the world (UK, continental Europe, Australia, South America?), although I know that such wide spread is unlikely. Also, multiple teams for their most important studios. Of course, not all of that at once, but definitely over the next few years.
How about they build a new studio in Africa and call it new mombasa

Oct 26, 2018

Imagine next gen:
Year 1 - Halo Infinite
Year 2 -
Year 3 - Fable 4
Year 4 - Gears of War
Year 6 - New Halo game
etc. etc.

I think they'll possibly try to have perfect dark fill that "pillar IP" slot

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think the most interesting thing said was that he believes strongly that games for next gen will still be able to run on current gen hardware in a scaleable way as opposed to having two different versions. I hope so. IE, everything is cross-playable including multiplayer. By Fable 4 in 2022, still playable on Xbox One X.

Jdubs

Dec 4, 2018
I think the most interesting thing said was that he believes strongly that games for next gen will still be able to run on current gen hardware in a scaleable way as opposed to having two different versions. I hope so. IE, everything is cross-playable including multiplayer. By Fable 4 in 2022, still playable on Xbox One X.

That would be great, as an Xbox one x owner that wouldn't mind waiting another year to upgrade.

I wish we would hear confirmation that things like the elite controller will work with the new generation of Xbox consoles ....might pick one up if that happened.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The scalability of games won't last forever...maybe within the first year or two but after that...you'll most likely have to depend on the cloud to play those games unless you buy a newer console. You can only scale but so much.

Jan 4, 2018
That would be great, as an Xbox one x owner that wouldn't mind waiting another year to upgrade.

I wish we would hear confirmation that things like the elite controller will work with the new generation of Xbox consoles ....might pick one up if that happened.
It's pretty likely imo but I'd reccomend you to wait fortue rumored Elite V2 (it may be a while though) to see if they've found a way to make the rubberised grip not become loose about 1yr after buying it, even if you take the utmost care and always keep it in its case when not in use

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019

I think they absolutely will happen. Microsoft is going to make Xbox like PC in this regard. Games for next gen will be highest performance but they will run on x1. They will just scale to the hardware. This makes life easier for developers while providing games to X1 users for years to come.

Will be interesting to see if they change the UI for next gen machines and if they'll be the same as current gen

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think they absolutely will happen. Microsoft is going to make Xbox like PC in this regard. Games for next gen will be highest performance but they will run on x1. They will just scale to the hardware. This makes life easier for developers while providing games to X1 users for years to come.

Will be interesting to see if they change the UI for next gen machines and if they'll be the same as current gen

Would be a terrible idea outside of the initial cross Gen games. We don't want upscale games on our brand new console, we want games designed to take advantage of the hardware.

I wouldn't mind if I could use a single Halo Infinite license on both generations of consoles, but I sure don't want the next Gen one to be the Xbox one x version with better textures, frame rate and some extra effects.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I am no tech expert so I will defer to your judgement on that.
It's basically going to be the way it always was with cross-gen titles...but it actually may last longer because of scalability, but that does require devs to make some design decisions. A game like Sea of Thieves will be forward compatibile and because of how they designed that game, it can be continually updated throughout the entire next-generation on console. It already had that in mind when they made the game because of how they designed the game on PC, so taking those learnings help. Basically any XPA game development (and enhanced titles) will help with the coming generation in how game developers approach development for consoles/pc. But with the coming GameCore and stuff, that will help with more scaling...and the upcoming Dante dev kits will help developers test on the same base...which is also the same base that will be used in the cloud. So we will see games from this gen get enhanced next gen from Microsoft (Scarlett enhanced)...but there will be a point in which devs leave the XBO platform and focus more on the cloud platform (which will be the same as the Scarlett platform...until it's eventually updated which it can be...Brad stated the same) for streaming because that will eventually be the mass market (this is my personal take). This coming generation will be for streaming as this generation was for digital games.

Status
Not open for further replies.